Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grind in this game is ridiculous...

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Aerowyn so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.   If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them. The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.
    re-read what i wrote
    I dont need to.

You called the dungeon/cultural gear a "very 'optional' cosmetic grind".

Which is wrong.

[mod edit] (as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) [mod edit].  since you can easily get exotics with same stats much faster grinding out those sets IS for cosmetic purposes

He does have a point. The dungeon/cultural do have stats. They offer a cosmetic change, but they are not cosmetic. I get what you are saying, but they have stats... just saying.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

look at the numbers GW1 is the second highest selling MMO ever made.. think they will do just fine

Well Anet says it wasn't a mmo... Sooo..

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cyraethcyraeth Member Posts: 53
    so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?

The issue is that you cannot make everyone happy... specially those who dont get to see the bigger picture... "theres nothing to shot for, thi game has no longevity" = badass armor...

"the badass armor is to hard to get, im quiting" = skill based progresion game..

contradiction

BTW OP exotics armor are not that hard to get... and dam even the high level rares look nice... and even if you dont like the high level armor models, there are transmutation stones.. or even awesome armor skin that you can get in the cash shop.. (without spending real cash, thus they cost aprox 1.4 ingame gold, wich is absurdly easy to get)

im perfectly fine with game critisims, i have my issues with the game aswells... but sometimes the claims are just plain stupid.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Yea.  I said it. 

So, if you want to get anything that looks even remotely decent as far as armor goes.  You have a few options.

You can get cultural armor, which costs, you'll love this. 30g for 1 chest piece.  30g, and its yellow con, not even orange. Now, to give you a point of reference, completing a level 75-80 event which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, assuming its even up and running, gives you *gasp* 3s and some change.  Thats not including if you die ever, because each repair at this point costs you 1.5s.  Oh, and lets not forget the port over to the zone which will cost you minimum of 2s and probably closer to 3s.

Ok, so there is the dungeon sets right!  Well, guess what, 1 chest piece, 100 tokens.  Now here is the best part, each dungeon has its own token set.  Now, this wouldnt have been as big of a deal except Anet decided to nerf it so you cant run the same dungeon over and over anymore.  So, now you're talking literally weeks to get enough tokens to get the set from one dungeon.

Should i even go into the requirements for the absurdly ridiculous Mytstic Forge?

Honestly, i don't care that this game is no sub fee.  I would rather go back to Rift, spend 8+ hours a week progression raiding for the gear, because at least then im doing something fun for it.  Instead of stupid mind numbing craptastic "dungeons" which are really just zerg fests since there is no defined tank, healer, etc.

Crafting is a joke too.  Yes, its less expensive if you dont account for the fact that you're going to spend 10g+ to get a single crafting spec from 0 to 400. *sans cooking, that one is cheap as hell*.  Problem there is pretty much everything except the plate looks terrible.

Oh, and lets not forget the dye system either. Where unless you like stupidly bright primary colors, or really muted earth colors, any of the cool colors you might want to dye sell from 2.5g to 6g+ on the market.  Stuff like dark blue, dark red, black, white or as close to white as possible, etc.

Sorry people complain too much about a grind. Funny coming from a guy earlier who was complaining that people dont want to put in the "work" to get a benefit in games.

The whole game is a joke we know we know. You have nothing but complaints. Amazingly you forgot the easy way to get those dyes, you know by identifying dye you get as loot drops. Oh yeah I forgot you might not get the one you want that way and might actually have to play and try gain. The horror.

Wow, pretty poor response.  Yes, i've identified literaly every unidentified dye from 0 to 80 and all it was was slight variations of the existing crap dyes.  And you'll notice i dont care about grinds, im an old school EQ'er, i embrace the grind, IF IT HAS A WORTWHILE PURPOSE.  Thats the whole point.  They expect you to literally put in JRPG levels of time for what? Some gear that ONLY looks cool?  And even that is hit and miss.  At least with other MMOs you get gear that looks cool and has some benefit to you.   Part of character progression in an MMO is getting more powerful, and that super rad looking sword with lightning shooting out of it having the same stats as the standard issue forged in a castle blade, is literaly the heigh of absurdity.  Its all show, no go.  Its like putting a wing, 3 piece magnesium wheels, coilovers, racing bucket seats, and carbon fiber hood and trunk on a honda civic with a 110hp 4 banger. 

Speaking of a poor response. What you think is worthwhile others find worthless. Have you not in all your years of life come to understand that simple fact? Or are you so close minded that only what you like is important these days?

My GW2 character gets more powerful each day, end of story.

Originally posted by redman875

See i get "grind".  While grind use to mean camping one mob spawn for a week with not other options but to kill the same mobs over and over for a level...grind is now anything that requires effort or time.

Ok so lets look at the new definition of grind.

Grind can be ok if the repeated task is entertaining.  I have not heard a single positive about GW2's dungeons.  Yeah zerg mechanics are fun the first round but as a repeated task with little to no orginization or real roles...yeah boring.

Ok but boring grinds are in just about every game...even if its a really fun mechanic....enough times it gets boring.  People will go through it all for gear that will allow them to stomp their piers who didnt put forth the epic and mind numbing effort to obtain. Which is why people even bother to do it usually in the first place.

However going through a boring grind mechanically for no advantage....

Better endgames have killed superior mmorpgs.  Not sure what their plan was on this game for a real endgame experience.  I do however get why theres no sub.

My question is..how long untill they drop the box price and go full F2P on this...they cant possibly expect people to pay another $60 for the rest of the game...granted they even plan to add a legit endgame to this one....do they?

I mean you would be better off playing LOL or SMITE if you want a low effort pvp experience where you grind for cosmetics...and it wont cost you $60 to hop in.

How long until they drop the price of the box? You are off your rocker. You dont play but you post here just about every day bashing the game in a very transparent and unknowledgable way. You have trolled here long enough. Go find a game you like and post about it, instead you show up in GW2 posts all the time with the same rubbish.

You allude to no sub like the devs saw a crap game the day before relase and decided no subscription. It was no sub from the day it was announced. Go troll something else. You look pathetic when you make an account on this site just to troll something you dont play. A hobby might help.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

There's been some great responses and alternatives since i last checked in, and i appreciate that.  I still maintain that they went a little too apeshit with most of the sets in the game though.  I know i came off a bit foaming at the mouth in my original post and i apologize for that, i was just amazed at the complete lack of information given by the game as to how to obtain anything reasonably cool looking, and the only stuff i could find out about through google searching without spending hours researching and digging through forums was that basically you had to grind tokens, or you had to spend an ungodly amount of coin on cultural or crafted armor.

Also, unless there is some secret i dont know about, 2g is still a damn lot of money.  So yes, 2g for a permanent dye is a crapton.  Thats at least 8 hours of grinding out overland map stuff or farming something which sells decently like copper ore.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

There's been some great responses and alternatives since i last checked in, and i appreciate that.  I still maintain that they went a little too apeshit with most of the sets in the game though.  I know i came off a bit foaming at the mouth in my original post and i apologize for that, i was just amazed at the complete lack of information given by the game as to how to obtain anything reasonably cool looking, and the only stuff i could find out about through google searching without spending hours researching and digging through forums was that basically you had to grind tokens, or you had to spend an ungodly amount of coin on cultural or crafted armor.

Also, unless there is some secret i dont know about, 2g is still a damn lot of money.  So yes, 2g for a permanent dye is a crapton.  Thats at least 8 hours of grinding out overland map stuff or farming something which sells decently like copper ore.

The game really does lack a thorough tutorial. I still have no clue how to craft >.< or even what to do with it. I am not even sure what crafting profession I am lol. I talked to the cook dodo, but I have a pick and harvester thingy...

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by bcbully

look at the numbers GW1 is the second highest selling MMO ever made.. think they will do just fine

Well Anet says it wasn't a mmo... Sooo..

GW1 had the same profit as CoH last year.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

The game really does lack a thorough tutorial. I still have no clue how to craft >.< or even what to do with it. I am not even sure what crafting profession I am lol. I talked to the cook dodo, but I have a pick and harvester thingy...

when in doubt youtube:) got everything you could ever want to know

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

when in doubt youtube:) got everything you could ever want to know

Still needs to be looked at. It simply is not good, and is in no way my fault. 

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Castillle

Originally posted by Aerowyn so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.   If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them. The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.
    re-read what i wrote
    I dont need to.   You called the dungeon/cultural gear a "very 'optional' cosmetic grind". Which is wrong.
    Underlined for yah
    Ah, I see, so we are arguing that the OP is "doing it wrong".

I thought one of the great things about GW2 was supposed to be that there were several different ways you could obtain gear and that the stats were equal.

So, if you wanted to get the best gear in the game either by dungeons or crafting or PvP you could and you would not be in any way inferior to someone that chose to get gear a different way.

But, apparently, thats just a big load of lies. You HAVE to get Exotics by crafting and then you have the option to grind your ass off for dungeon or PvP skins. There is no choice, this is the way it must be done. If you try and get gear any other way you are doing it wrong and you deserve to be ridiculed on message boards like our poor OP.

What other ways do you imagine there are? "I should be able to /dance in every town for an hour each to get exotics."

In other words, I like how you listed a number of options and then cried that there were no options.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

2g really is not much unless you are ignoring ways to make money. I just spent probably 5 gold outfitting my Ranger and trying some rune combinations on his armor to see what I liked best.

I have one level 52 one level 27 and one level 26 character. I buy ALL my weapons and armor because drops are rarely right for me, IE wrong stats or buffs. I change all armor and weapons every 5 to 10 levels depending on the improvements I see and yet I still have 7 gold between my charcters.

That said I stopped all crafting except cooking because I found selling materials to be profitable and crafting was not a lot of fun for me. Now I was not spending ANY money to craft since I gather all my own materials but there was little fun in it. Cooking on the other hand has too many boosts to not be involved in. So yes I sell all my materials once a week to fund my love of weapons and armor.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Issue is... They'll nerf this (make it easier to get stuff) like all games seem to do.

Remember SWTOR and the "grind" to get gear in that game?  Shortly after release they started making it easier... Which puts all the effort the early players put in to shame.

GW2 was ok to get max level in PvE and be done.  Sadly, WoW has by far the best setup in an MMORPG and while a very small group of people here will claim WoW is terrible... Millions and Millions think differently and continue to enjoy it. 

Games are about having fun.  If you're looking for a difficult, time consuming, achievement driven process where the effort you put in is rewarded by providing you with advantages over others who put in less work... TRY REAL LIFE... get a job, a better job, whatever... Work harder, get more money, buy stupid shit you don't need, show it off to everyone and claim you're better!   ;)

Honestly, League of Legends is the only game I find myself going back to over and over and I get NO benefit or reward for playing other than the enjoyment it provides.  Take away the leveling, loot drops, and ability to be "better" than another player and all these new MMO's fall apart quickly.  They need to make the game enjoyable and fun before stacking a leveling and loot grinding system onto it.

If you can get players to play your game each day and force them to start over each new "match" and they still come back for more... Obviously they enjoy the gameplay over the rewards you dangle above them.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286
    This topic again?...  
  • FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

Money can be quite easy to make. You just need to keep your eye out. Playing the TP is one of the best ways to make money IMO, but if you're not good at that you could always try stacking magic find items (food helps) and go farming for items that sell for a bit on the TP. ORRR you can find some dynamic events that spawn lots of mobs and do those. Sell greens to merchants, salvage blues, sell rares on the TP.

Saving money is also important. Try not to teleport needlessly and if you're dying a lot just practice skill combos/evading until you barely die anymore.

Fact is, the grinds are actually too short. Hence diminishing returns and Anet effectively 'nerfing' repeated dungeon runs.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    I'm 80 with full exotic, aka best gear of the game, one month after release... Tell me another mmorpg where this is possible so fast. And also, tell me another mmorpg where it's possible for all play styles and not just dungeon and raid grinders.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I completely agree with the OP. I basically stopped playing the game and only "play" TP now. A constant revenue stream and virtually no risk if you know what to resell. No travel costs. No repair costs. No broken content.

It's very, very sad that TP is absolutely the best part of GW2, really.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    I'm 80 with full exotic, aka best gear of the game, one month after release... Tell me another mmorpg where this is possible so fast. And also, tell me another mmorpg where it's possible for all play styles and not just dungeon and raid grinders.

Interesting, just some days ago you were calling people who rush to end game with in first month idiots and now you are cliaiming you are decked in full cosmetic?

Wow....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The reason for that is really that other games lock up their high end dungeons for a certain time after you played through them.

But yes, GW2 is not that grindy, it is one of the least grindiest MMOs around. There still is a grind though.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Yea.  I said it. 

So, if you want to get anything that looks even remotely decent as far as armor goes.  You have a few options.

You can get cultural armor, which costs, you'll love this. 30g for 1 chest piece.  30g, and its yellow con, not even orange. Now, to give you a point of reference, completing a level 75-80 event which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, assuming its even up and running, gives you *gasp* 3s and some change.  Thats not including if you die ever, because each repair at this point costs you 1.5s.  Oh, and lets not forget the port over to the zone which will cost you minimum of 2s and probably closer to 3s.

Ok, so there is the dungeon sets right!  Well, guess what, 1 chest piece, 100 tokens.  Now here is the best part, each dungeon has its own token set.  Now, this wouldnt have been as big of a deal except Anet decided to nerf it so you cant run the same dungeon over and over anymore.  So, now you're talking literally weeks to get enough tokens to get the set from one dungeon.

Should i even go into the requirements for the absurdly ridiculous Mytstic Forge?

Honestly, i don't care that this game is no sub fee.  I would rather go back to Rift, spend 8+ hours a week progression raiding for the gear, because at least then im doing something fun for it.  Instead of stupid mind numbing craptastic "dungeons" which are really just zerg fests since there is no defined tank, healer, etc.

Crafting is a joke too.  Yes, its less expensive if you dont account for the fact that you're going to spend 10g+ to get a single crafting spec from 0 to 400. *sans cooking, that one is cheap as hell*.  Problem there is pretty much everything except the plate looks terrible.

Oh, and lets not forget the dye system either. Where unless you like stupidly bright primary colors, or really muted earth colors, any of the cool colors you might want to dye sell from 2.5g to 6g+ on the market.  Stuff like dark blue, dark red, black, white or as close to white as possible, etc.

And if you had every item you desired within a week I'm sure you would be back on here complaining that there's no game for you to play.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Loke666

The reason for that is really that other games lock up their high end dungeons for a certain time after you played through them.

But yes, GW2 is not that grindy, it is one of the least grindiest MMOs around. There still is a grind though.

There's also my second point, play styles. In most other games, and notably in all WoW clones, you are forced to raid if you want the best, or to spend weeks if not months grinding PvP BGs at max level until you are competitive and no longer canon fodder.

In GW2, the soloer, the crafter, the dungeoner, the PvPer all have access to the best of the best by playing the game how they enjoy it, without being forced into any of the play styles.

A grind in GW2? If there's a grind in GW2, we must find a different name for the equivalent in the other games... slavery maybe?

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Yea.  I said it. 

So, if you want to get anything that looks even remotely decent as far as armor goes...

I don't.  I have no interest in looking as if my character is wearing a spiky, implausibly elaborate, mega-looking suit of "Chaos Armour Of Fear-Inducing Awesomeness" because it has no effect whatsoever on gameplay.  Ditto for the armour colours.

I don't know which game you're playing but GW2 is the least 'grindiest' game I've played in over a decade.

Your complaints are beyond trivial.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Dungeon Rewards
    We’ve made some significant updates to dungeon rewards. I wanted to try and clarify them here. All of these changes have been the result of an original exploit which was letting players receive upwards of 20 levels by completing a single dungeon run. We initially closed this exploit, which caused some new problems. The result is this new system which should increase dungeon rewards for players who play though them normally but help curb inflation of rewards for those who are using exploitative methods to farm them.

1) Dungeon tokens are now rewarded at the end of an explorable chain. This was done to stop players from repeatedly entering a chain and farming the first boss that dropped tokens rather than playing the entire chain. At some point in the near future, we will make up for this by making dungeon tokens a rare drop so that even players who are not completing a chain can make partial progress toward the rewards. 
    2) Dungeons reward 20 tokens for completion and now reward an additional 40 tokens for the first time they are completed each day. This means that if players can complete all 3 chains of a dungeon in a day, they’ll receive a total of 180 tokens, which is enough to purchase some of the smaller rewards.
    3) Dungeon tokens should be account bound. This will allow players to have a single character farm tokens for their other characters.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-September-25th-2012

Close thread

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Here we go again with another thread of "I wan't to have better stats then others if I grind for something or there shouldn't be any grind at all".

Guess what?

You obviously never bothered to check ALL types of sets and their looks.

There are even some great skins that are coming along in the lower levels you can just use a transmutation stone and merge their look with your actuall stats in your current gear.

Tadaaa! No grind at all!

If you wanna go for exotic you can craft OR do WvsWvsW OR do dungeons to get them.

Plenty of ways to aquire it and no, they didn't "nerfed" you so you "can't" do the dungeons like other mmos let you do a dungeon once a day ONLY.

They are giving you rewards and xp as long as you SWITCH between dungeons instead of spamming the same one like 90 times per day.

If you do it once and move to do other paths you will get your rewards the way you were supposed to as long as you take 30 minutes for completion or more.

If you take less time twice and on the same path aswell, then the drops will be less and the final reward less to none.

Check also the patch notes of today before you complain further.

Now you will get 60 tokens as bonus for the first time you do a dungeon in a day additionaly to the final reward ones.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?

This..... me myself I play Guild wars for the pvp thats it. Dont care about looking different so much.