Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to try WoW when new expansion comes tomorrow

joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

What exactly do I need to buy other than the new expansion to be able to play? I know there are quite a few of them out. Do I need to get ALL of them?

Can someone give me the rundown of what exactly I need?

Thank you in advance!

Also is it worth it for a newbie to start playing this game? I honestly have never touched it before.

Comments

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I would advise you to try the free trial which lets you play to level 20 with some limitations.  If you like what you see, you can then purchase the game, which you can go about a few ways.  You can either buy the game one expansion at a time, or the base game + all expansions all at once.

Not 100% sure what the pricing or deals that will be available as with Mists of Pandaria releasing tomorrow things could be changed up.  My guess is it will probably be $50 for the base game + all expansions except for MoP.  Shame you didn't check into this a month or two ago as Blizzard was having a firesale on digital copies for a while (something like $20 for all the expansions).

Edit:  Also forgot to mention you can either purchase the games digitally through battle.net or you can go to a local store and buy a physical copy.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Yes, I would do the level 20 trial first, there's absolutely nothing restricted except general and trade chats in the trial upto level 20.  If you still like it and want to play more buy the battlechest off battle.net.  It comes with the game, TBC, WotLK, and 30 day game time (I'm not 100% sure about the gametime, but the old battlechest came with it so, why wouldn't this one lol).  Unless you want to play pandaren or be a monk, or want to battle your pets, you don't need Mists of Pandaria until you get to level 85 really.  By then, maybe you can get it fro $20, right now you can get the digital download for $30 though, so it's still alot cheaper than most other new games, $50 for both the battlechest and Mists of Pandaria :)

Edit: free trial also limits auctionhouse and mail/trading if I remember right.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Yeah. World of Warcraft is Free to Play!**  Take advantage of this great offer to play the game "As much as you'd like"***  "What a GREAT DEAL!!!"****

** Free to play up to level 20

*** you can't go past level 20 which should take a couple hours.

**** Any company that actually respected you would call it a free trial.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nickster29

I would advise you to try the free trial which lets you play to level 20 with some limitations.  If you like what you see, you can then purchase the game, which you can go about a few ways.  You can either buy the game one expansion at a time, or the base game + all expansions all at once.

Shame you didn't check into this a month or two ago as Blizzard was having a firesale on digital copies for a while (something like $20 for all the expansions).

for all Starter Accounts,

you are given option to upgrade to have all expansions and MOP for the total sum of $60.00

i checked my starter account 5 minutes ago, the upgrade offer still exists

save 45% when you upgrade all the way to Mists of Pandaria

$109.96 USD
    - 45%
    $59.99 USD

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by nickster29

Shame you didn't check into this a month or two ago as Blizzard was having a firesale on digital copies for a while (something like $20 for all the expansions).

for all Starter Accounts,

you are given option to upgrade to have all expansions and MOP for the total sum of $60.00

i checked my starter account 5 minutes ago, the upgrade offer still exists

save 45% when you upgrade all the way to Mists of Pandaria

$109.96 USD
    - 45%
    $59.99 USD

Nice, that is a pretty damn good deal considering that MoP is 39.99 to begin with.