Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grind in this game is ridiculous...

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Yea.  I said it. 

So, if you want to get anything that looks even remotely decent as far as armor goes.  You have a few options.

You can get cultural armor, which costs, you'll love this. 30g for 1 chest piece.  30g, and its yellow con, not even orange. Now, to give you a point of reference, completing a level 75-80 event which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, assuming its even up and running, gives you *gasp* 3s and some change.  Thats not including if you die ever, because each repair at this point costs you 1.5s.  Oh, and lets not forget the port over to the zone which will cost you minimum of 2s and probably closer to 3s.

Ok, so there is the dungeon sets right!  Well, guess what, 1 chest piece, 100 tokens.  Now here is the best part, each dungeon has its own token set.  Now, this wouldnt have been as big of a deal except Anet decided to nerf it so you cant run the same dungeon over and over anymore.  So, now you're talking literally weeks to get enough tokens to get the set from one dungeon.

Should i even go into the requirements for the absurdly ridiculous Mytstic Forge?

Honestly, i don't care that this game is no sub fee.  I would rather go back to Rift, spend 8+ hours a week progression raiding for the gear, because at least then im doing something fun for it.  Instead of stupid mind numbing craptastic "dungeons" which are really just zerg fests since there is no defined tank, healer, etc.

Crafting is a joke too.  Yes, its less expensive if you dont account for the fact that you're going to spend 10g+ to get a single crafting spec from 0 to 400. *sans cooking, that one is cheap as hell*.  Problem there is pretty much everything except the plate looks terrible.

Oh, and lets not forget the dye system either. Where unless you like stupidly bright primary colors, or really muted earth colors, any of the cool colors you might want to dye sell from 2.5g to 6g+ on the market.  Stuff like dark blue, dark red, black, white or as close to white as possible, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Speaking of which, why do they always attach this stuff to running dungeons?  AKA instances?  I loathe doing that sort of thing once, never mind ad nauseam.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Yea.  I said it. 

So, if you want to get anything that looks even remotely decent as far as armor goes.  You have a few options.

You can get cultural armor, which costs, you'll love this. 30g for 1 chest piece.  30g, and its yellow con, not even orange. Now, to give you a point of reference, completing a level 75-80 event which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, assuming its even up and running, gives you *gasp* 3s and some change.  Thats not including if you die ever, because each repair at this point costs you 1.5s.  Oh, and lets not forget the port over to the zone which will cost you minimum of 2s and probably closer to 3s.

Ok, so there is the dungeon sets right!  Well, guess what, 1 chest piece, 100 tokens.  Now here is the best part, each dungeon has its own token set.  Now, this wouldnt have been as big of a deal except Anet decided to nerf it so you cant run the same dungeon over and over anymore.  So, now you're talking literally weeks to get enough tokens to get the set from one dungeon.

Should i even go into the requirements for the absurdly ridiculous Mytstic Forge?

Honestly, i don't care that this game is no sub fee.  I would rather go back to Rift, spend 8+ hours a week progression raiding for the gear, because at least then im doing something fun for it.  Instead of stupid mind numbing craptastic "dungeons" which are really just zerg fests since there is no defined tank, healer, etc.

Crafting is a joke too.  Yes, its less expensive if you dont account for the fact that you're going to spend 10g+ to get a single crafting spec from 0 to 400. *sans cooking, that one is cheap as hell*.  Problem there is pretty much everything except the plate looks terrible.

Oh, and lets not forget the dye system either. Where unless you like stupidly bright primary colors, or really muted earth colors, any of the cool colors you might want to dye sell from 2.5g to 6g+ on the market.  Stuff like dark blue, dark red, black, white or as close to white as possible, etc.

Sorry people complain too much about a grind. Funny coming from a guy earlier who was complaining that people dont want to put in the "work" to get a benefit in games.

The whole game is a joke we know we know. You have nothing but complaints. Amazingly you forgot the easy way to get those dyes, you know by identifying dye you get as loot drops. Oh yeah I forgot you might not get the one you want that way and might actually have to play and try gain. The horror.

• DurillienDurillien Member Posts: 32
    I have to agree. There isn't many things about Guild Wars I've found myself hating. But the MASSIVE lack of unique armor models or stupidly insane token grind for armor is silly. And I have to agree with the Trinity complaint. For a game that made it sound like the trinity was obsolete, you sure do have to follow the same concept pretty damn closely to complete dungeon content. 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Yea.  I said it. 

Sorry people complain too much about a grind. Funny coming from a guy earlier who was complaining that people dont want to put in the "work" to get a benefit in games.

The whole game is a joke we know we know. You have nothing but complaints. Amazingly you forgot the easy way to get those dyes, you know by identifying dye you get as loot drops. Oh yeah I forgot you might not get the one you want that way and might actually have to play and try gain. The horror.

Wow, pretty poor response.  Yes, i've identified literaly every unidentified dye from 0 to 80 and all it was was slight variations of the existing crap dyes.  And you'll notice i dont care about grinds, im an old school EQ'er, i embrace the grind, IF IT HAS A WORTWHILE PURPOSE.  Thats the whole point.  They expect you to literally put in JRPG levels of time for what? Some gear that ONLY looks cool?  And even that is hit and miss.  At least with other MMOs you get gear that looks cool and has some benefit to you.   Part of character progression in an MMO is getting more powerful, and that super rad looking sword with lightning shooting out of it having the same stats as the standard issue forged in a castle blade, is literaly the heigh of absurdity.  Its all show, no go.  Its like putting a wing, 3 piece magnesium wheels, coilovers, racing bucket seats, and carbon fiber hood and trunk on a honda civic with a 110hp 4 banger. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, pretty piss poor response.  Yes, i've identified literaly every unidentified dye from 0 to 80 and all it was was slight variations of the existing crap dyes.  And you'll notice i dont care about grinds, im an old school EQ'er, i embrace the grind, IF IT HAS A WORTWHILE PURPOSE.  Thats the whole point.  They expect you to literally put in JRPG levels of time for what? Some gear that ONLY looks cool?  And even that is hit and miss.  At least with other MMOs you get gear that looks cool and has some benefit to you.   Part of character progression in an MMO is getting more powerful, and that super rad looking sword with lightning shooting out of it having the same stats as the standard issue forged in a castle blade, is literaly the heigh of absurdity.  Its all show, no go.  Its like putting a wing, 3 piece magnesium wheels, coilovers, racing bucket seats, and carbon fiber hood and trunk on a honda civic with a 110hp 4 banger. 

there have been plenty of games to come along that people played simply for fun and are happy to strive for cosmetic items.. not everyone enjoys this type of game but many do.. obviously it's not the type you enjoy but there are plenty of other games you can enjoy the power progression model at level cap.. GW2 has always been known to not be one of those games.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Says the guy with the EQ1 Human Cleric avatar...where it took me 109days (IN GAME) to hit lvl 60 back in 2000. Grind he says! :)

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Wow, pretty poor response.  Yes, i've identified literaly every unidentified dye from 0 to 80 and all it was was slight variations of the existing crap dyes.  And you'll notice i dont care about grinds, im an old school EQ'er, i embrace the grind, IF IT HAS A WORTWHILE PURPOSE.  Thats the whole point.  They expect you to literally put in JRPG levels of time for what? Some gear that ONLY looks cool?  And even that is hit and miss.  At least with other MMOs you get gear that looks cool and has some benefit to you.   Part of character progression in an MMO is getting more powerful, and that super rad looking sword with lightning shooting out of it having the same stats as the standard issue forged in a castle blade, is literaly the heigh of absurdity.  Its all show, no go.  Its like putting a wing, 3 piece magnesium wheels, coilovers, racing bucket seats, and carbon fiber hood and trunk on a honda civic with a 110hp 4 banger. 

there have been plenty of games to come along that people played simply for fun and are happy to strive for cosmetic items.. not everyone enjoys this type of game but many do.. obviously it's not the type you enjoy but there are plenty of other games you can enjoy the power progression model at level cap.. GW2 has always been known to not be one of those games.

You are correct, but through the devs own words the only "super grind" would be for the "super elite" legendary items.  Instead what we find out is that outside of a crafted level 80 set of rare armor, literally every other set of armor in the game is going to require a pretty insane gring.  Whether its grinding out money to buy the 3g per piece orange con crafted armor, which doesnt even look that great.  Or having to do zone completions of the high level zones for the rewards, or run dungeons ad nauseum to get even 1 piece of a dungeon set.  Its insulting and goes totally against what they advertised the game.

They advertised that the only time you would have to do a major grind is if you wanted the super ultra elite, with sparkly particle effects like fire or lightning or whatever, and that those would have a major grind attached.  All the other sutff was supposed to be reasonably easy to get.  That is simply NOT the case.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by remyburke
    Says the guy with the EQ1 Human Cleric avatar...where it took me 109days (IN GAME) to hit lvl 60 back in 2000. Grind he says! :)

Its actually a paladin ;-), and yeah i had 167 days played on that character.  But, my point was i dont mind grinds if there is a reasonable reward vs time investment.  I just dont feel like thats the case with GW2.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

Okay besides the point that this is in complete opposition to the other common complaint about Guild Wars 2 about not having enough end game (aka grind by most)....

You are pretty wrong, and just plain off base.   You can find really nice looking gear.  And of course the nice colors are supposed to be expensive, you sound pathetic if you say 2g is too much for a permanent color on your account.   Many of the exotic gear's on the auction house look tremendously good, each piece typically costing 2-4g a piece.  You will have difficulty at the moment, because there is no preview on the auction house, but I've been asking people on map chat, and can occasionally see the looks for a piece of gear.

Also, if you did the personal story, which I assume you did, you will realize you can buy the gear from whichever Order you decide to join.   Order of Whispers medium gear is amazing looking, and many of the other sets are as well.

And then there's also the cash shop gear such as the Krytan or Profane set.  These cost 500 gems which can be traded on the  cash shop for around 2g.  That's an entire set for 2 gold.  

And I love how you only mention your tier 3 cultural armor.  Tier one sells for like one gold, calm the hell down please.

if you are going to yell at the grind, I would say yes, WvW, the dungeon and legendaries, and tier 3 culturals are rather expensive.  

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I too am an old schooler but we at least shot for more power. So you're saying this crap is only cosmetic? If it's only cosmetic they are off their rocker thinking that people would grind for those items in the ultimate anti grinding game hahaha. They really need to read some posts from their biggest fans....definately not the grinding/effortful ( is that even a word?) types.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I too am an old schooler but we at least shot for more power. So you're saying this crap is only cosmetic? If it's only cosmetic they are off their rocker thinking that people would grind for those items in the ultimate anti grinding game hahaha. They really need to read some posts from their biggest fans....definately not the grinding/effortful ( is that even a word?) types.

We've known this for several years now, and guess what....we still fell in love with the game.  I'm already working towards a legendary...that's completely cosmetic in reward.  Most of the 2 million that bought this game knew this going in, so no sir...they are not off their rocker.  We don't need to one shot noobs to feel better about ourselves.  I'll gladly take you out any day on an even playing field based on skill alone.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I recommend you take a look at karma vendors and level 50+ craftable armor.

My warrior is decked out in full gladiator gear and she's been looking bad ass from 55-80

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.

If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them.

The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

With my level 80, "just playing the game", I can earn between 60-70 Silver per hour, on average. I roam the world, killing things and harvesting nodes as I go, doing any DEs I find along the way. No sitting in one spot grinding. I play the game like I would play a game like Skyrim. That take assumes selling off the uncommon crafting mats I find along the way. It's possible to find decent exotics, armor, weapons and trinkets, for between 2.3G and 3G on the trading post.

If you go that route, it might take around 55 hours to get a full set or Exotic Armor and Trinkets, along with three Exotic Weapons. I'd maybe tune that to between 30-40 hours, if it was up to me, but 55 hours is not totally unreasoable. I've aquired a piece roughly once a day. I already have three weapons, a full set of armor and two of the five trinkets. I've never felt like I've been grinding, I just play, have fun and save up for the next piece.

I'll agree that some of the sets are priced too high, even for something that's meant to represent a long term goal. The Tier 3 cultural pieces are insanely priced and the 56K karma for a piece of Orr Temple Armor is pretty insane as well. (100 to 200 DEs per peice, depending on payout). I'd tweak down the costs for the level 80 Dungeon gear, maybe by 30%. I'd really like to see the cost of the lower level dungeon gear reduced significantly, since it just is not reasonable for an on level character to get a full set before they actually outlevel the set!

It's good we have long term rewards to work for, but prices should be made a bit more resonable, IMO.

As far as the looks of the easier to acquire Exotic armors, I'm happy with mine, all off the Trading post:

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

never hurt GW1

Originally posted by Xiaoki

The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.

If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them.

The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.

re-read what i wrote

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

The grind is too easy. It doesn't take long at all even if you're not trying. The only way the grind could possible be long is if you're extremely impatient and want everything straight away. That's not going to happen, although it still only takes about a week for whatever item you want if you're putting enough effort in, maybe a month or two if you're pretty casual.

My problem is the exact opposite to yours. I don't feel like I'm being rewarded because the grind is just so simple and easy.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by Aerowyn so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.   If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them. The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.
    re-read what i wrote

I dont need to.

You called the dungeon/cultural gear a "very 'optional' cosmetic grind".

Which is wrong.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

See i get "grind".  While grind use to mean camping one mob spawn for a week with not other options but to kill the same mobs over and over for a level...grind is now anything that requires effort or time.

Ok so lets look at the new definition of grind.

Grind can be ok if the repeated task is entertaining.  I have not heard a single positive about GW2's dungeons.  Yeah zerg mechanics are fun the first round but as a repeated task with little to no orginization or real roles...yeah boring.

Ok but boring grinds are in just about every game...even if its a really fun mechanic....enough times it gets boring.  People will go through it all for gear that will allow them to stomp their piers who didnt put forth the epic and mind numbing effort to obtain. Which is why people even bother to do it usually in the first place.

However going through a boring grind mechanically for no advantage....

Better endgames have killed superior mmorpgs.  Not sure what their plan was on this game for a real endgame experience.  I do however get why theres no sub.

My question is..how long untill they drop the box price and go full F2P on this...they cant possibly expect people to pay another $60 for the rest of the game...granted they even plan to add a legit endgame to this one....do they?

I mean you would be better off playing LOL or SMITE if you want a low effort pvp experience where you grind for cosmetics...and it wont cost you $60 to hop in.

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by Aerowyn so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    The dungeon gear and cultural armor sets are not cosmetic.   If they were cosmetic items they would not have stats on them. The Legendary weapons are cosmetic but to say the dungeon gear is cosmetic is wrong.
    re-read what i wrote
    I dont need to.

Which is wrong.

Underlined for yah

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Aerowyn so I'm confused.. people complain there is nothing in this game to "shoot for" yet there is a massive grind for dungeon/cultural gear and legendary weapons which has been known for awhile and should of been expected especially for anyone who played GW1. Yet this very "optional" cosmetic grind(as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) gives you no power advantage other than looking badass and allows you to show how much effort you put into aquiring the items(something many have asked for).. what again is the issue?
    re-read what i wrote
    I dont need to.

Which is wrong.

[mod edit] (as you easily can get stat equivalent items much faster) [mod edit].  since you can easily get exotics with same stats much faster grinding out those sets IS for cosmetic purposes

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

never hurt GW1

Actually, it did.  Once I realized how GW1 was designed I never bought a single expansion, nor have I purchased GW2. 

Multiply that by the number of folks like me.

For every sale they made, they probably lost 2 more.  But they're OK with that, their model makes them enough money to be satisfied, and I guess you can't please everyone.

Now CCP on the other has made more money off of me per month for over 3.5 years than ANET would make in a single sale.

Just saying, lots of alternate ways to make money, ANET's isn't necessarily the most profitable.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

never hurt GW1

Actually, it did.  Once I realized how GW1 was designed I never bought a single expansion, nor have I purchased GW2. 

Multiply that by the number of folks like me.

For every sale they made, they probably lost 2 more.  But they're OK with that, their model makes them enough money to be satisfied, and I guess you can't please everyone.

Now CCP on the other has made more money off of me per month for over 3.5 years than ANET would make in a single sale.

Just saying, lots of alternate ways to make money, ANET's isn't necessarily the most profitable.

look at the numbers GW1 is the second highest selling MMO ever made.. think they will do just fine