Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mop #1> outsell both gw2 and swtor in 24 hours of release.

1235»

Comments

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    This is like expecting another (horrible) star wars movie coming out and beating the kings speech(a great movie). No fricken duh.

My guess is, a hundred years from now, when a list of the hundred greatest movies of all times comes out. Star Wars will be on it. The Kings Speech (Which I did enjoyed) probably won't.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    This is like expecting another (horrible) star wars movie coming out and beating the kings speech(a great movie). No fricken duh.

My guess is, a hundred years from now, when a list of the hundred greatest movies of all times comes out. Star Wars will be on it. The Kings Speech (Which I did enjoyed) probably won't.

Sadly your right. Just like what I will expect with this...

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Maybe I'm just being overly snippy about this, but even if this game does outsell SWTOR and GW2 combined, it's still not going to be enough to make me want to come back.

That is a good point. I think for MoP to be successful it needs to bring  new players to WoW, not just try to get old players to come back. Some old players will come back, but many have moved on.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Derros
    well, yea, arent there like 9-10 million people that NEED to buy the expantion to keep progressing, with another 2 million who might buy it to check out the new changes.

Agreed. If it doesn't outsell those two it would be an industry shocker.

9mil that need it to progress ofc its gonna outsell....whatever lol

Originally posted by CcDohl
    No surprise. WoW is a lot better than SWtOR and definitely a lot better than GW2. This just continues the story.

better than swtor yes 

better than gw 2? nope but keep dreaming buddy

Originally posted by Nightgroper
    Well it is also releasing on the same date as DOA5, and that could cause some to pick that up instead. I know I will be.

1 dead or alive never was a system seller

2 its a console game 

3 it wont sell even 500k both ps3-xbox combine.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow has an existing player base of 9 million. To outsell swtor an gw2 it only needs to sell 5 mil expansions, bit of an obvious one is it not? Thing is mop should sell 9 mil copies, if it doesnt then they are gonna drop subs again.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

damn arena net must be jealous it took them a month to get 2.2 million copies sold, blizz can get that in 24 hours no sweat.

:p

when guild wars 2 will be 8 year old re post that comment until then...well feel sry for ya

oO and btw arena net STOPED  the distribution for a while 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Clocksimus

This is actually the least restrictive WoW expansion to date if I'm not mistaken.  You don't need to buy MoP to get acess to panda?  but you will get get their other zones or something like that? I don't play WoW clearly I don't know the details.

That is inconsequential. They still need to buy the expansion if they want to progress, or get stucked a couple of levels down and be ganking fodder if you are on a pvp server.

As other have said, if they outsale the previous expansions then I'll be impressed. You can't compare WoW's expansion sale with GW2 or Rift. For one, it is cheaper because it is an expansion. Two, they already have several million fanbase, while GW2 or Rift has to build that from scratch.

I also expected their development and production cost to be cheaper as well as they don't have to design everything for their game engine from scratch, so they will have a bigger margin of profit from it (which is also probably why they can afford all these TV ads).

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    For the record, I don't think it will sell even half as well as Cataclysm did.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

It should do fairly well. A lot of users like the eastern motif, many people are in love with monks, and tons and TONS of young adults love the pokemon concept. Personally, I've never watched or seen more than a couple of minutes of pokemon in my life, but I have many friends in their early 20's who love it, and who are excited for that specific feaure in this game.

Scenarios look really fun, and eliminate a lot of the boredom while waiting for a dungeon pop for the DPS classes. Blizz did a great thing there releasing a feature that doesn't require a tank or a healer and also allows a certain amount of endgame progression. I'm also excited that all of my pets and mounts just became account bound instead of having to regrind them all with each character. Since a big portion of this expansion revolves around fighting minipets, I think this was a great move.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    well, yea, arent there like 9-10 million people that NEED to buy the expantion to keep progressing, with another 2 million who might buy it to check out the new changes.

This is actually the least restrictive WoW expansion to date if I'm not mistaken.  You don't need to buy MoP to get acess to panda?  but you will get get their other zones or something like that? I don't play WoW clearly I don't know the details.

Exactly. Of course as owner of 10 maxed out alts I have purchased MOP. :-) Start was great, as a whole, including of course shows on main cities, was a blast, only Blizzard is able to combine. But is true, more alternatives and decent games out there then anytime before. IMO, the are doing generally all good and well with few terrible exceptions great majority hate. Not sure if they can affort doing mistakes as once.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It wont sell more the first week then Cata, fewer Wow players now than when Cata released.

But I expect it to sell rather impressive numbers still. Comparing them to the launch of another MMO as OP do is really unfair and out of content however. Wow been out and have gotten players for a long time, if you want to compare launch numbers you should compare them with Wows launch numbers.

TOR actually win there, but I have a feeling that when the first expansion comes out TBC will win the day by far. With GW2, hard to say.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    [mod edit]
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Sales numbers do not make a game "better" than another.  Since a person's opinion of a game is subjective, it is too difficult to define what a "better" game really is.  All Blizzard can be proud of is their millions of addicted subscribers.

As for me, I put away my WoW habit long before expansions were an issue.  I will continue to enjoy MMOs without playing what you may think is the "best" and I won't feel like I am missing anything.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    It's Blizzard. They could be releasing an expansion about poop, and people would still lineup to buy it. Still, from what I hear MoP isn't bad, just more of the same. For those of you who enjoy Azeroth, have fun! I know it's been a long wait since the last major content update.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

So everyone including me expects MoP to outsell GW2 or SWTOR. No one will be surprised here.

But what if it doesn't? Oh boy the forums are going to go crazy!

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So to sum this thread up...

WoW fan:  OMG!  MoP is going to outsell GW2 and SWTOR.  HAHAHAH show um how it's done Bliz!  You get um!

GW2 fan:  I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your new expansion :).

WoW fan:  Whatever!  You are all just upset that your game has FAILED and people are jumping off the sinking ship!  WoW foreva bro!!!!

GW2 fan:  Really :)?

man get yourself into reality , ive seen way more of these gw2 trolls here trying to bait wow players on their forums then wow players. you have a guy rename himself kungfupanda2012 just for the sack of baiting people as hes stirring the pot in both sets of forums intentionally . You guys here just cannot stand any game that has an expansion or releases effecting GW2 . If its so great stop trying to bait everyone here and go enjoy gw2.

Maybe, I wouldn't be surprised, but just look at THIS thread ;).

I know that not all WoW fans are like this, but honestly, the folks in this thread are not representing the WoW community very well.

Good grief Creslin. What a load of baloney. If anything its the GW2 fans stirring the pot, including you with these inflammatory comments.

And this is coming from someone who dislikes WoW and GW2 equally ;)

I've never ever seen so much mudslinging from any fanbase, GW2 fans take the cake on this one.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Where is the post about how WoW is about to overtake GW2 on Xfire again? I'm getting bored waiting for that one, let's go.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by CcDohl
    No surprise. WoW is a lot better than SWtOR and definitely a lot better than GW2. This just continues the story.

Even after the last 2 crappy expansions?...I think WoW is getting more lame as it goes on but thats just my opinion.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yeah would indeed be strange if MOP doesn't reach either GW2 or SWToR numbers, this does not matter if game A is better then game B. Besides there is no game A or game B is better, there is only personal preference in what we might like better, still doesn't say anything about the game.

It's just logical with a game with so many subscribers.

I did buy one exp. from WoW, namely Burning Crusade, but after a week or 2 after the release of it I didn't feel like playing anymore and never been back to WoW since then and know I will not be back with MOP. WoW is just not my kind of game anymore. Just a personal preference.......

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    At this point, this thread is pretty much just arguing. Once actual sales numbers are in, then there can be a proper discussion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.