Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See-ya trinity....see-ya grouping...

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by grimal

OP -

I agree.  Trinity is there for  a reason.  I'm glad GW2 reminded us why.

Trinity is there for one main reason. So crap players can roll healers after failing as DPS and Tanks and still get raid groups.

Personally I roll healers first so I dont have to fail at DPS and Tanking I just go straight to healer and hide my crap play behind my clerics symbol.

Am I the only one who sees Irony in this post?

you know that any1 can check your healing any time right? you know lets say...hmmm...recount, right?

What are you even talking about?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The only problem this game has is that it require two hands to actually play it, so there are no hands left to write.

Still plenty of chat, people following other people or requesting grouping, questions in chat that are mostly promptly answered with minimum asstery, etc.

Ah those group events at 3 in the morning where myself and a stranger are working side by side to mow down a champion and its adds... No, we can't really chat since we don't have macros to perform the next 35 actions. But cooperation as you will rarely see in the open world of any other themepark MMO where open world is that area  where you solo til level cap if you don't LFD.

What about WvW, where people report enemy movement, coordinate attacks at certain camps, etc?

No socialization at all...

GW2 is a game though and require both hands for optimal play.

Sincerely every guild should have VOIP.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

OP -

Trinity is there for one main reason. So crap players can roll healers after failing as DPS and Tanks and still get raid groups.

Personally I roll healers first so I dont have to fail at DPS and Tanking I just go straight to healer and hide my crap play behind my clerics symbol.

Or you just missed the fact that I was not being serious.

Ironiclaly, I'm almost never serious. But sure.

Just kinda funny, you know, Choice of words kinds thing.

OP -

Or you just missed the fact that I was not being serious.

Ironiclaly, I'm almost never serious. But sure.

Just kinda funny, you know, Choice of words kinds thing.

I was basically making fun of myself and the fact that healers are usually in such short supply that they are the crappy players ticket to end game gear.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by deathangell
    This isnt the games fault this is yours im 80 almost have everything for my legendary and i have done plenty of groups and see people like warriors pick up tank roles and ele/guards and even engis pick up roles as support/healers so you must be doing somethign wrong. Your right i didnt ever feel the need to group with peopel as i leveled so i didnt i enjoyed the solo game all the way to 80 then i formed a guild with other 80s and i loved the instance with controled tanking and healing. The game does push a kite based game for those that dont want to deal with having to look for a support player a tank player and rape dps. But i promise you those roles can be filled and when they are instances run like dreams and there fun and exciting paths.

Thank you for your perspective.  I really appreciate it when high level chime in.  Im only half way to 80 with my toons and like you it feels like a single player game early on.  When I do group with people they are not geared or / skilled to play a specific role so its usually dps/support for everyone.  

I will disagree wtih your first statement tho about it not being the games fault in that even my level 40ish warrior and guardian cant truly "tank" the hard stuff or at least not with any of the healers ive encountered and they full master crafted / geared toughness etc etc.  And my heal speced mage/ ranger / engineer etc cannot heal a tank with the gear and skills available at level 40ish.  

The thing is- normal PvE- outside of dungeons- there is not a need to really group up and have roles.  Maybe at 80 there is but you would think if the game was ment to have traditional roles, and GW2 devs said themselves they have eliminated the trinity, then you would play roles at the lower levels also. 

Look, I like the game- I will join a guild and stuff eventually but like you said yourself- you didnt group/ guild up till level 80- and that seems like to me a mistake on the development side of the game to have players go all the way to 80 before guilding or grouping up for things....

Lath

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Lathial

Anyway, there is socialization in the game if you seek it...I joined a very active guild with people I already knew.

I bolded the important part of your post because it is the basis of all your arguments.  You joined a guild of active people you already knew.... So, you didnt have to actually do anything to meet people in the game.  You already had a group of friends to "group" and "guild" with.   My friends are not playing this game- shoot!  I guess im anti-social.

Also, yes i purchased the other character slots, I like the game and if you would look at my other posts you will see, I have always said- I like the game and game play, I just wish it was more group friendly / not just a single player game with some group aspects.  (And had a better story but thats another story all together)

Lath

Ah, I am glad that my point was so easily discerned.  Let me clarify.  I do not know EVERYONE in the guild, only about 10% of them and those are people that followed ME to the game.  Wanna know how I met them?  By random chance in other MMOs (DDO and LotRO to be specific).  I know I will also meet new friends in GW2 and it will just happen naturally.  Or I can go out and seek others to help and form new bonds with.  

My other guildmates I am still getting to know.  I joined the guild in April...LONG before launch and knew absolutely NO ONE in the guild.  I made the effort to create social connections and it was easy to do so.

I have also added a few friends along the way in game.  Not all are added to my friends list but I DO recognize others' names as people I have helped or whom have helped me.  The game encourages people to work together in so many ways that it's almost impossible not to come across people you could get along with if you made the effort.

As for that statement above, that is pure choice and pure opinion.  You cannot claim such a statement is an absolute truth about the game because the game's mechanics are set up to be VERY group friendly unless you choose for it NOT to be.  At least people have a choice and are not forced down one path.  Well, unless you want to do dungeons...there is NO SOLO mode for those at all.  If YOU personally want the game to be more group friendly, then reach out to others and stop projecting YOUR PERSONAL choices onto the mechanics of the game claiming that it is somehow built in a manner that is prohibitive of your wishes.

One of the most annoying things in life is when someone is presented with a solution that is viable but instead chooses to continue complaining instead of offering any possible solutions of their own.

So what are your ideas or solutions for this "not group friendly" aspect of this game?

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    This isnt the games fault this is yours im 80 almost have everything for my legendary and i have done plenty of groups and see people like warriors pick up tank roles and ele/guards and even engis pick up roles as support/healers so you must be doing somethign wrong. Your right i didnt ever feel the need to group with peopel as i leveled so i didnt i enjoyed the solo game all the way to 80 then i formed a guild with other 80s and i loved the instance with controled tanking and healing. The game does push a kite based game for those that dont want to deal with having to look for a support player a tank player and rape dps. But i promise you those roles can be filled and when they are instances run like dreams and there fun and exciting paths.

Thank you for your perspective.  I really appreciate it when high level chime in.  Im only half way to 80 with my toons and like you it feels like a single player game early on.  When I do group with people they are not geared or / skilled to play a specific role so its usually dps/support for everyone.  

I will disagree wtih your first statement tho about it not being the games fault in that even my level 40ish warrior and guardian cant truly "tank" the hard stuff or at least not with any of the healers ive encountered and they full master crafted / geared toughness etc etc.  And my heal speced mage/ ranger / engineer etc cannot heal a tank with the gear and skills available at level 40ish.  

The thing is- normal PvE- outside of dungeons- there is not a need to really group up and have roles.  Maybe at 80 there is but you would think if the game was ment to have traditional roles, and GW2 devs said themselves they have eliminated the trinity, then you would play roles at the lower levels also. 

Look, I like the game- I will join a guild and stuff eventually but like you said yourself- you didnt group/ guild up till level 80- and that seems like to me a mistake on the development side of the game to have players go all the way to 80 before guilding or grouping up for things....

Lath

This game isn't a trinity game... So there is no tanking class and there is no healing class. Thats how the game was designed, so it's not the games fault that you can't stand in front of the mob, that's your own fault for thinking that you could...

Originally posted by LytheEmber

Anyway, there is socialization in the game if you seek it...I joined a very active guild with people I already knew.

I bolded the important part of your post because it is the basis of all your arguments.  You joined a guild of active people you already knew.... So, you didnt have to actually do anything to meet people in the game.  You already had a group of friends to "group" and "guild" with.   My friends are not playing this game- shoot!  I guess im anti-social.

Also, yes i purchased the other character slots, I like the game and if you would look at my other posts you will see, I have always said- I like the game and game play, I just wish it was more group friendly / not just a single player game with some group aspects.  (And had a better story but thats another story all together)

Lath

Ah, I am glad that my point was so easily discerned.  Let me clarify.  I do not know EVERYONE in the guild, only about 10% of them and those are people that followed ME to the game.  Wanna know how I met them?  By random chance in other MMOs (DDO and LotRO to be specific).  I know I will also meet new friends in GW2 and it will just happen naturally.  Or I can go out and seek others to help and form new bonds with.  

My other guildmates I am still getting to know.  I joined the guild in April...LONG before launch and knew absolutely NO ONE in the guild.  I made the effort to create social connections and it was easy to do so.

I have also added a few friends along the way in game.  Not all are added to my friends list but I DO recognize others' names as people I have helped or whom have helped me.  The game encourages people to work together in so many ways that it's almost impossible not to come across people you could get along with if you made the effort.

As for that statement above, that is pure choice and pure opinion.  You cannot claim such a statement is an absolute truth about the game because the game's mechanics are set up to be VERY group friendly unless you choose for it NOT to be.  At least people have a choice and are not forced down one path.  Well, unless you want to do dungeons...there is NO SOLO mode for those at all.  If YOU personally want the game to be more group friendly, then reach out to others and stop projecting YOUR PERSONAL choices onto the mechanics of the game claiming that it is somehow built in a manner that is prohibitive of your wishes.

One of the most annoying things in life is when someone is presented with a solution that is viable but instead chooses to continue complaining instead of offering any possible solutions of their own.

So what are your ideas or solutions for this "not group friendly" aspect of this game?

hehe,  I didnt come here to make a list fo things to change how my gaming life is.  I can here to voice my opinion, period.  This is not MMO therapy where I make a list of the things that can impove my game then have you, a total stanger, appove. Come on!  Ive been playing MMO's since UO came out.  I will find a guild group etc.

I just posted a reply to a gent above who did not "need" to group untill level 80.  And when he did at 80 its been a lot of fun- I much like him have not found that group yet! I will though im sure of it.  What I will say tho is that because there is no real need to group / guild then its harder to find one that suits your style / age / etc.  

Lath

Originally posted by eggy08

Lath

This game isn't a trinity game... So there is no tanking class and there is no healing class. Thats how the game was designed, so it's not the games fault that you can't stand in front of the mob, that's your own fault for thinking that you could...

Im not sure if you just reply or actually read the posts- let me explain this for you...

The guy I was replying to sauid that at level 80 they can play roles.  And, I was saying, at level 40 you cannot.    If you read the paragraph below the one you highlighted I say it myself that the Devs said they removed the trinity. 

Please read the posts before commenting. sigh!

Lath

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

a symptom of the sanitization of the pve game.

the only difference is that gw2 is more action oriented so there is less time to type.

the desocialization isnt limited to gw2 and has nothing to do with the trinity or lack of it.

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43

Lath

So, wait you've not even TRIED the most social part of ANY MMO yet?  You've not even tried to join a group of like-minded players and yet you are here saying the game is  not "group friendly?"  Your admission makes all your points invalid and only serves to strengthen your detractors.  YOU CHOSE to avoid this aspect of the game and are complaining that the game is somehow responsible for this?  That is...just...amazing.

Wait?!?!  What?!?!  You are seriously saying that the GAME was developed incorrectly because PEOPLE have CHOSEN to go to level 80 without grouping or guilding?  Tell me you are not serious.  Are you suggesting the game FORCE you to group or guild along the leveling path?  Kind of like having to buy those tomes to put more points in your trait lines?  Should there be a "join a guild requirement" to get past level 30 or something?  <shakes head empathically>

I think my time in this thread is done as your assertions CLEARLY demonstrate you are unwilling to see past your own choices.  I wish you luck in this game that you really like.  Take care!

Lythe

Originally posted by LytheEmber

Lath

So, wait you've not even TRIED the most social part of ANY MMO yet?  You've not even tried to join a group of like-minded players and yet you are here saying the game is  not "group friendly?"  Your admission makes all your points invalid and only serves to strengthen your detractors.  YOU CHOSE to avoid this aspect of the game and are complaining that the game is somehow responsible for this?  That is...just...amazing.

Wait?!?!  What?!?!  You are seriously saying that the GAME was developed incorrectly because PEOPLE have CHOSEN to go to level 80 without grouping or guilding?  Tell me you are not serious.  Are you suggesting the game FORCE you to group or guild along the leveling path?  Kind of like having to buy those tomes to put more points in your trait lines?  Should there be a "join a guild requirement" to get past level 30 or something? 

I think my time in this thread is done as your assertions CLEARLY demonstrate you are unwilling to see past your own choices.  I wish you luck in this game that you really like.  Take care!

Lythe

Wow, lol fail.  OK first off, I have guilded a few times but the people were not my age / interests- like I said I will find one im sure of it.   Personally, im a little older - been playing MMO's since before UO... so I dont like the kiddy kewl guilds.  You are over reacting a little. 

Second, if the poster I was commenting on had no desire / need to group till 80- I do find that a development issue.  Dont you?  That sounds like a single player game to me...

Lath

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

If 99.999% of the content can be zerged or kited I feel comfortable calsifying it as such.  But just to be clear and so you dont get all bunched up down there- I will change my coment to: 99.9999% of the content can be zerged or kited.

Lath

100% false statement fyi:)

In these boards when you post your opinion, you have to use clarifying terms like "feels like most" or "Seems like" or "My experience is" Otherwise you get called out for misinformation.

BTW, what is the correct percentage of content that can be zerged or kited? I'm curious to know.

Kind of difficult to know that if your highest level character is barely above 40.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ginaz

If 99.999% of the content can be zerged or kited I feel comfortable calsifying it as such.  But just to be clear and so you dont get all bunched up down there- I will change my coment to: 99.9999% of the content can be zerged or kited.

Lath

In these boards when you post your opinion, you have to use clarifying terms like "feels like most" or "Seems like" or "My experience is" Otherwise you get called out for misinformation.

BTW, what is the correct percentage of content that can be zerged or kited? I'm curious to know.

Kind of difficult to know that if your highest level character is barely above 40.

wasn't aware you had to be max level and have over 500+ hours played in a game to call someone on BS... good to know though.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by eggy08

Lath

Im not sure if you just reply or actually read the posts- let me explain this for you...

The guy I was replying to sauid that at level 80 they can play roles.  And, I was saying, at level 40 you cannot.    If you read the paragraph below the one you highlighted I say it myself that the Devs said they removed the trinity. 

Please read the posts before commenting. sigh!

Lath

At no level can you play roles. There is no real roles, and thinking there are such is complete crap. Just because you can take more damage doesn't make you a tank, nor if you can heal more make you a healer. So the argument is awful for any level.

At level 80 or level 40 you can assume the role of the tank or healer, but that doesn't make them set roles. You can't force mob aggro, nor can you hold it, nor can you fit the roles in any scenario.

He used the word, pickup, which doesn't auto mean that he stayed in that role, nor was he able to meet it to a certain extent that it's the games fault that he can't do it. I have an 80 warrior and I build tanky, thus I can pickup tanking for the group for a period of time, but have to back off from it when I take too much damage. Thats the design of this game.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Not like the trinity is any better. tanks yell at healers for being bad, healers yell at tanks for being bad, dps yell at tanks for being bad, dps yell at healers for being bad, and no one takes responsibility for their own fuckups.

Fact is, both have their strengths and weaknesses, and maybe instead of constantly saying we should default back to the old way because it "works", we should be trying to find out how to make the new idea work.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

There are roles and there are plays you can make.  Learn to play.

Edit :

Follow Enigmatus' wise words!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Your post is spot on.

Things they did well,  beautiful zones, I wont call it a gameworld because none of the zones are connected they are all separated by portals which blows the whole gameworld feel to shit.

Love the crafting system

Love the Trader

Love the WvW

Hate the telporters, makes the game feel even less like a world, give me a freaking mount for land and flight paths to travel around the gamworld, That means of course making the game SEAMLESS between zones.

Love the classes abilities

Hate the lack of trinity for all the reasons already mentioned.

Overall fun game, but some big design flaws in my opinion that were touted as features.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Lath

wasn't aware you had to be max level and have over 500+ hours played in a game to call someone on BS... good to know though.

If your only level 40, and there are 80 levels, then that means you've only experienced roughly half of the content.  I'll take the word of somone who has gotten to 80, presumably experiencing most the content the game has to offer, over someone who isn't halfway there yet.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Lath

If your only level 40, and there are 80 levels, then that means you've only experienced roughly half of the content.  I'll take the word of somone who has gotten to 80, presumably experiencing most the content the game has to offer, over someone who isn't halfway there yet.

no you will take someones word who fits your personal view of the game despite the facts and what you can view on youtube or from just playing the game.. but alas whatever floats your boat:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Lath

no you will take someones word who fits your personal view of the game despite the facts and what you can view on youtube or from just playing the game.. but alas whatever floats your boat:)

You expected anything less?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

GW2 tried to get rid of the trinity...unfortunately what they got rid of was grouping. My first character I tried to make a support role and none of them are set up to be support.  Just plain DPS and your own heal works better in world and dungeons.

This is a solo game with a-sorta-blitz-kiteing-group content.  And, the 'Events' get old just like rifts did.  World events get old really fast- how could we have fallen for this again?  I mean there is no different between rifts in Rift and events in GW2.

It’s really a bummer cause I like the game and the pace of combat.  However, I have 8 toons, one of each class and, most of them post 40, and I have never talked to anyone in the game.  I don’t even really remember any person’s name that I have seen or grouped with for dungeons. Its interesting cause this is the first game that I have not joined a guild / group of people and had tons of fun.  Its like im playing a single player game with some goofy AI named "deesnutz" and "drizzt" who will occasionally join me for a veteran or champion kill.  

I like playing the game and I like the world its unfortunate that the PvE game is just a single player game.

Honestly, everyday I think about going back to TSW, EQ2, WoW, Rift, or something where you play with other people- I may not make it a month.  It’s too bad.  I have a feeling - and from reading all the new comments from these and other boards- the complaints are starting to roll in and the "fan-boys" are starting to feel it too- that after a month or two this game will end up in the same boat as The Secret World: After a month everyone will be done with the game- and move to something else.

Lath

How odd. I just got done playing GW2. I was grouped in CoA and a personal story Rat-tastrophe.     One was with my guild.  The other some Mesmer asked me for help when I came out of Set to Blow, the final part of the quest chain.  

And it's not the first personal story of someone else who pug'd me that I've been involved with.   People do ask.

I guess you're doing it wrong.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    You can enjoy the game solo but your topic is off. I think GW2 proved that there needs to be a trinity and there needs to be grouping. There is no socialization to the game outside Hi Thank you and have a good day. I hate playing solo even if I can play solo and given this game is all about soloing most people don't want to group and a lot of players are not doing dungeons becuase they find it to hard without roles in the party.

Nope.  You're doing it wrong, too.   

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

You know if you zerg, boss events take like twice as long.

It's really unreliable.

You expected anything less?

obviously not.. although was hoping on the eve of MoP some of them would of moved on to those forums.. although looking at the overall numbers for the unique post count for today doesn't seem to be the case at all