Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 ruined these forums for me

TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

I've read these forums for a long time, and used to watch for player feedback on all the new releases and try to make an educated judgement on which games I wanted to buy.

I've been hyped about GW2 for a long time, and I know what sort of experience I am getting from it and if it was worth it or not. As a player, I know how well it is running, and if the game is EPIC fail or EPIC win.  

These forums have all sorts of threads saying both the best and the worst of GW2, and there is a definate truth to some of them. As a player, I know who's full of crap and who isn't, and being tired of the excessive amounts of bans that I get from trying to correct the trolls, I just block the people that are spouting falsehoods. 

As I've watched my blocklist grow and grow, I am realizing that these threads (for all games) are probably filled with so many false accusations, that it really is difficult to gain any useful information. I played AoC and thought that the game deserved a bit more credit than it got, but a smaller title gets less attention. Aion had a pretty harsh reception, but as I didn't like Aion a whole lot, it didn't phase me either.

GW2 has attracted alot of attention and therefore alot of trolls.  The trolls don't get banned for producing misinformation because it's difficult to prove and the site moderators would have all sorts of problems if they tried to address it proactively. 

This is really starting to make me wonder what some of the games I passed up were actually like.

I realize now, that for me to make an educated decision on future game purchases, the forums (any forums) are not the place. I'll just stick to the new columns and leave the forums as a place where you don't find great info that you can trust.  

This isn't just MMORPG.com forums, but forums in general. 

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I must be the inverse, I've gotten bans for correcting fanboys.

It is interesting though that without cursing, or direct name-calling, someone who resorted to saying bad things about you to win an argument will then instantly report a post that calls out the truth about him/her. That type of selective (and truthfully pretty piss poor) moderation is why I actually left MMORPG.com for years and only recently came back. Seeing this is still an issue I will likely leave again for years soon anyway. So I hear ya.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Can't say, cause I don't know - but I'm wondering...

...do you consider everybody that has a different opinion to you a troll?

There tends to be a tendency for folks to call other trolls - for all sorts of things that simply aren't trolling.  You take an apple, cut it in half, hand half to Tom, hand half to Jerry, and ask their opinions on it.  Tom says it's the best apple ever.  Jerry says he's had better.  Tom accuses Jerry of trolling.

You could break it down by anything that might cause the disparity in opinions on the apple, and short of Jerry calling it an orange - for the most part it's all going to be opinion.  Thus, it's not trolling.  The term "trolling" is woefully overused.

...but like I said, I don't know - so I can't say.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Scypheroth1987Scypheroth1987 Member Posts: 5
    yup GW2 has killed these forums....if you badmouth or say anythign bad about the game its considerd trolling and you will be banned.

So you like WoW and GW2? I heard alot of Hello Kitty kids like those games...man i bet your fat having everything spoon fed to you in those games.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

There tends to be a tendency for folks to call other trolls - for all sorts of things that simply aren't trolling.  You take an apple, cut it in half, hand half to Tom, hand half to Jerry, and ask their opinions on it.  Tom says it's the best apple ever.  Jerry says he's had better.  Tom accuses Jerry of trolling.

You could break it down by anything that might cause the disparity in opinions on the apple, and short of Jerry calling it an orange - for the most part it's all going to be opinion.  Thus, it's not trolling.  The term "trolling" is woefully overused.

I personally don't consider rationally and calmly discussing opinions to be even close to trolling, but that is a rare thing on this site.

Most post just tell others their opinions are wrong because of [insert insult] here. Or they call every soon to release MMO the WoW killer. Or they call every newly released game a failure. Or they just attack other posters. All of that is trolling and it is very much the norm on this site. You do get threads of people discussing opinions but even those tend to not last long before someone starts trolling.

Look at the OWPvP thread. It quickly turned into those who don't like OWPvP are wusses who can't handle it and need everything handed to them and those who like it are griefing a-holes. That is how people approach topics on this site.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by Terrorizor

I've read these forums for a long time, and used to watch for player feedback on all the new releases and try to make an educated judgement on which games I wanted to buy.

I've been hyped about GW2 for a long time, and I know what sort of experience I am getting from it and if it was worth it or not. As a player, I know how well it is running, and if the game is EPIC fail or EPIC win.  

These forums have all sorts of threads saying both the best and the worst of GW2, and there is a definate truth to some of them. As a player, I know who's full of crap and who isn't, and being tired of the excessive amounts of bans that I get from trying to correct the trolls, I just block the people that are spouting falsehoods. 

As I've watched my blocklist grow and grow, I am realizing that these threads (for all games) are probably filled with so many false accusations, that it really is difficult to gain any useful information. I played AoC and thought that the game deserved a bit more credit than it got, but a smaller title gets less attention. Aion had a pretty harsh reception, but as I didn't like Aion a whole lot, it didn't phase me either.

GW2 has attracted alot of attention and therefore alot of trolls.  The trolls don't get banned for producing misinformation because it's difficult to prove and the site moderators would have all sorts of problems if they tried to address it proactively. 

This is really starting to make me wonder what some of the games I passed up were actually like.

I realize now, that for me to make an educated decision on future game purchases, the forums (any forums) are not the place. I'll just stick to the new columns and leave the forums as a place where you don't find great info that you can trust.  

This isn't just MMORPG.com forums, but forums in general. 

Honestly, you sound like you just fell off the bus.  

Seriously, what do you expect?  The mods to ban people for saying a game is bad or good?  It’s their opinion.  It may not be true for you or everyone you know but it could be their experience and it is true for them.

I don’t even know why I responded to this...

Lath

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Scypheroth1987
    yup GW2 has killed these forums....if you badmouth or say anythign bad about the game its considerd trolling and you will be banned.

I have bashed or been rather  negative about GW2 in every post about it and I've yet to be banned or even warned.  I guess it is ok if you try to be at least a bit civil and constructive.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

This claim is so false as to approach absurd. Your ability to read must be compromised if you fail to see all the haters who have not been banned. Of course there is no reason to ban people for disliking a game, they have the right to their opinion.

Now for your signature. Life is not like open world PvP with full looting, if it was later when I see you on the street it would be legal to mug you. But life is not like that. it is quite easy to survive real life since real life is not like you seem to think.

EDIT: Before his signature said if you dont like full looting and open world PvP you must not be able to survive real life.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I got banned plenty stating the facts about GW2 that now everyone and their brother is talking about. It is all about the hype!
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    I got banned plenty stating the facts about GW2 that now everyone and their brother is talking about. It is all about the hype!

They dont ban for stating facts, they ban for how you state them. You can claim anything you want but no one gets banned for just telling facts. Its how you post that gets you banned.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I personally don't consider rationally and calmly discussing opinions to be even close to trolling, but that is a rare thing on this site.

Most post just tell others their opinions are wrong because of [insert insult] here. Or they call every soon to release MMO the WoW killer. Or they call every newly released game a failure. Or they just attack other posters. All of that is trolling and it is very much the norm on this site. You do get threads of people discussing opinions but even those tend to not last long before someone starts trolling.

Look at the OWPvP thread. It quickly turned into those who don't like OWPvP are wusses who can't handle it and need everything handed to them and those who like it are griefing a-holes. That is how people approach topics on this site.

What you call trolling, the rest of us call FFA Open world PVP.  Not to everyone's liking of course, and there are still rules of engagement one must follow to avoid getting moderated. (think of it as a sort of a red card)

But I'll agree with the OP, difficult to find useful information unless you get very good at sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

A whole bunch of people don't understand that liking something does not make it 'good', and disliking something does not make it 'bad'.  People have different preferences, which leads to them enjoying different things.

There can certainly be poorly implemented mechanics, or just downright broken ones.  Or even missteps where something that was thought to be fun turns out to be nearly so by most of the game's players.  

Then again, some people just like to play at forum PvP.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

This claim is so false as to approach absurd. Your ability to read must be compromised if you fail to see all the haters who have not been banned. Of course there is no reason to ban people for disliking a game, they have the right to their opinion.

Now for your signature. Life is not like open world PvP with full looting, if it was later when I see you on the street it would be legal to mug you. But life is not like that. it is quite easy to survive real life since real life is not like you seem to think.

EDIT: Before his signature said if you dont like full looting and open world PvP you must not be able to survive real life.

really? tell that to my 2 other acount including my main that were perma banned from these forums cuz i was accused of trolling....and when i try to conact them they dont reply...so take your reply and shuv it up yer.....

The reason your accounts were banned(Ibet this one will be too) is quite clear in this post. You have done nothing to make yourself look like an innocent victim and have instead supported the reasons you were banned. Well done.

now for a reply to that...life is like a full loot pvp. you can walk down the street and kill sumoen and FULLY LOOT THEM! now its up to you to choose to do so. Not lek in GW2 and such where you die and ban you keep your stuff....THAT is what i was compairing it to.

So you like WoW and GW2? I heard alot of Hello Kitty kids like those games...man i bet your fat having everything spoon fed to you in those games.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

The answer to that would be - almost. 

Here is an example. I played AoC at launch and I had a reasonable time with some problems. Did I get on to the forums and start raving about how it was the worst launch ever and the company should burn to the ground? - no. Would I consider a large portion of people that did say something of the sort to be trolls? - yes. Is it because they disagreed with me - no. Is it because they put out the effort to say a bunch of crap like they were the sole protector of everyone's gaming dollars? - yes

Troll is a term that has lost its meaning, but it really came from the fact of a poster trying to illicit a response through negative posting. I personally think it should be thrown into the mix with overtly positive posting too, but thats just my opinion.

The fact is, that there is a large portion of people that I don't think I should waste my attention on, and I don't need to define them as trolls, ignorant, stupid or even assholes.

So Tom likes his half of the apple and Jerry doesn't. Does Jerry go out and write up a thread trying to make sure that everybody, who is considering eating an apple, is aware of Jerry's horrible apple experience? Is everyone supposed to say "Gosh, Jerry had a bad apple, I'd better not try apples then!" You could also consider the opposite if Tom did the same.  

The real point of the thread is, that GW2 has proven to me the failure of public opinion, and my failure by taking it into consideration. 

really? tell that to my 2 other acount including my main that were perma banned from these forums cuz i was accused of trolling....and when i try to conact them they dont reply...so take your reply and shuv it up yer.....

The reason your accounts were banned(Ibet this one will be too) is quite clear in this post. You have done nothing to make yourself look like an innocent victim and have instead supported the reasons you were banned. Well done.

whatever im done with your blind logic and U.S.A knowitall sense of things. Smart a.....

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    think the main thing people don't get is saying a game rocks or is the best thing since sliced bread over and over in that games forum isn't against the forums rules unless you are purposley doing it to egg people on but generally that would be saying that stuff in OTHER games forums... BUT saying a game sucks or you hate it for xyz reasons over and over and over IS against the rules of conduct in these forums.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

whatever im done with your blind logic and U.S.A knowitall sense of things. Smart a.....

You have done a masterful job of helping my side of the debate. Your check is in the mail. Which prison do I address it too?

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    think the main thing people don't get is saying a game rocks or is the best thing since sliced bread over and over in that games forum isn't against the forums rules unless you are purposley doing it to egg people on but generally that would be saying that stuff in OTHER games forums... BUT saying a game sucks or you hate it for xyz reasons over and over and over IS against the rules of conduct in these forums.

Honeslty, I can't even find where people do say that this game is the best thing since sliced bread or [insert any other obsurd greatness reference here] which makes it sad that most people use that as their counter argument constantly. Well people are saying [insert obsurd greatness] and I'm just informing the masses that it's not that. Most everyone knows that the game isn't perfect, but people always talk about the negatives and negatives and negatives without a single positive and you wonder why they played the game at all or even came to these forums but to bash the crap out of it. Its just getting worse as the day goes on.
     We get you didn't like the game, but if you thought it was going to have [insert random feature] as opposed to what they chose, then that's your fault, not the games. Stop going on and on about it.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    Take note that I did not present an opinion on which perspective is right or wrong, just that a person can't make a educated decision from the information presented in forums.
    Take note that I did not present an opinion on which perspective is right or wrong, just that a person can't make a educated decision from the information presented in forums.

The information can be useful but making a decision off of it can be very hard. Especially on a forum like MMORPG.com which can't stop people who have never played a game from posting information and pretending they have. Those posters generally have a very negative view and trusting that would keep a person from playing many fun games.

I prefer information from official forums, especially if they only allow players who have the game to post.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by eggy08

Honeslty, I can't even find where people do say that this game is the best thing since sliced bread or [insert any other obsurd greatness reference here] which makes it sad that most people use that as their counter argument constantly. Well people are saying [insert obsurd greatness] and I'm just informing the masses that it's not that. Most everyone knows that the game isn't perfect, but people always talk about the negatives and negatives and negatives without a single positive and you wonder why they played the game at all or even came to these forums but to bash the crap out of it. Its just getting worse as the day goes on.
     We get you didn't like the game, but if you thought it was going to have [insert random feature] as opposed to what they chose, then that's your fault, not the games. Stop going on and on about it.

Since you asked where people posted greatness reference, here is an example for you performed by the poster Grotar89:

Yet again ArenaNet shows why it is superior to other MMO developers and why GW2 will be the best MMO on market once it goes live, be happy ppl the new age of MMOs is coming, no more EQ/WoW clones !!!!

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5071648#5071648

Depends on how much education is sufficient, which is a matter of opinion.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Since you asked where people posted greatness reference, here is an example for you performed by the poster Grotar89:

Yet again ArenaNet shows why it is superior to other MMO developers and why GW2 will be the best MMO on market once it goes live, be happy ppl the new age of MMOs is coming, no more EQ/WoW clones !!!!

But to use one blind persons posts as a reference to anyone who supports the game is just absurd and annoying.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

But to use one blind persons posts as a reference to anyone who supports the game is just absurd and annoying.

I ain't, I am merely helping you in finding such posts, since you posted that you couldn't find such posts. Furthermore, support can come in many shapes and forms and I believe that even people who are perceived as "haters, fanboys or trolls" are intentionally supporting the game in their own way.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

hype= good work by product perception managers and their network to multiple game sites (forums) review sites (paid advertisement, hint hint).

It should wear off now, the 2 million boxes have been sold, it won't matter anymore what people say now

This discussion has been closed.