Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See-ya trinity....see-ya grouping...

LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

(Updated : FYI, Ive been warned by the mods for trolling because of this thread-  Ive been a member since 2004 and never had that happen LOL.  Anyways, let this be a lesson to you folks out there who want to discuss legit issues with games on these forums.  GW2 right now is last years SWTOR- if you try to talk about real issues with the game then you will face torches and pitchforks.  Give it a month or two and just like SWTOR reality will sink in and we will be able to talk about these issues with out getting banned/ warned.  So, if you want to risk getting warned or worse read on)

GW2 tried to get rid of the trinity...unfortunately what they got rid of was grouping. My first character I tried to make a support role and none of them are set up to be support.  Just plain DPS and your own heal works better in world and dungeons.

This is a solo game with a-sorta-blitz-kiteing-group content.  And, the 'Events' get old just like rifts did.  World events get old really fast- how could we have fallen for this again?  I mean there is no different between rifts in Rift and events in GW2.

It’s really a bummer cause I like the game and the pace of combat.  However, I have 8 toons, one of each class and, most of them post 40, and I have never talked to anyone in the game.  I don’t even really remember any person’s name that I have seen or grouped with for dungeons. Its interesting cause this is the first game that I have not joined a guild / group of people and had tons of fun.  Its like im playing a single player game with some goofy AI named "deesnutz" and "drizzt" who will occasionally join me for a veteran or champion kill.  

I like playing the game and I like the world its unfortunate that the PvE game is just a single player game.

Honestly, everyday I think about going back to TSW, EQ2, WoW, Rift, or something where you play with other people- I may not make it a month.  It’s too bad.  I have a feeling - and from reading all the new comments from these and other boards- the complaints are starting to roll in and the "fan-boys" are starting to feel it too- that after a month or two this game will end up in the same boat as The Secret World: After a month everyone will be done with the game- and move to something else.

Lath

Comments

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50

The game is what you make it, while I leveled, there were many instances where I would find the same people looking for a group for them (probably because we leveled at the same pace). As it happens, they are now either friends or followers in game.

EDIT: The difference between this game and others is a simple one: no pressure, if you ever feel like coming back to play it, or anet released some new interesting content, you can do it free of charge. Retention wont be in terms  of months, but expansions you buy and times you play a month I would guess.

• dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Lathial

GW2 tried to get rid of the trinity...unfortunately what they got rid of was grouping. My first character I tried to make a support role and none of them are set up to be support.  Just plain DPS and your own heal works better in world and dungeons.

This is a solo game with a-sorta-blitz-kiteing-group content.  And, the 'Events' get old just like rifts did.  World events get old really fast- how could we have fallen for this again?  I mean there is no different between rifts in Rift and events in GW2.

It’s really a bummer cause I like the game and the pace of combat.  However, I have 8 toons, one of each class and, most of them post 40, and I have never talked to anyone in the game.  I don’t even really remember any person’s name that I have seen or grouped with for dungeons. Its interesting cause this is the first game that I have not joined a guild / group of people and had tons of fun.  Its like im playing a single player game with some goofy AI named "deesnutz" and "drizzt" who will occasionally join me for a veteran or champion kill.  

I like playing the game and I like the world its unfortunate that the PvE game is just a single player game.

Honestly, everyday I think about going back to TSW, EQ2, WoW, Rift, or something where you play with other people- I may not make it a month.  It’s too bad.  I have a feeling - and from reading all the new comments from these and other boards- the complaints are starting to roll in and the "fan-boys" are starting to feel it too- that after a month or two this game will end up in the same boat as The Secret World: After a month everyone will be done with the game- and move to something else.

Lath

Totally agree, something that looks new is more of the same. it is my feeling

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    You can enjoy the game solo but your topic is off. I think GW2 proved that there needs to be a trinity and there needs to be grouping. There is no socialization to the game outside Hi Thank you and have a good day. I hate playing solo even if I can play solo and given this game is all about soloing most people don't want to group and a lot of players are not doing dungeons becuase they find it to hard without roles in the party.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

It took me 5 hours at the release to request a refund and not touch this crap again. Camera movement and control and smoothing was unbearable. Dynamic Events are ripped off Dynamic Battlefields from Tabula Rasa (2007 - not Warhammer, which was later), without the actual consequences. Exploration consisting of running towards a spot marked on map. Innovation? No this is actually a step backwards by 10 years.

Indeed, it's not pro-social, the game system is anti-social. No mob tagging means you don't even need to talk to other people and form a group with them, so you wouldnt need to wait 5 minutes for a respawn. Everything is automated, other players are pretty much like bots to you.

Smart move by Anet to not ask subscription for GW2. They knew, noone would pay for this crap 15$ per month after the first free 30 days, and the positive advertistment would bring the initial sales up. 

REALITY CHECK

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    You can enjoy the game solo but your topic is off. I think GW2 proved that there needs to be a trinity and there needs to be grouping. There is no socialization to the game outside Hi Thank you and have a good day. I hate playing solo even if I can play solo and given this game is all about soloing most people don't want to group and a lot of players are not doing dungeons becuase they find it to hard without roles in the party.

that's WAY more than I get in most themeparks these days.. at least GW2 has a system to bring people together and actually want to fight along side eachother in every quest. Lack of communication is soley on the person behind the keyboard.. sure you could make a game with tons of group only content but as long as there's a route you can take without much interaction a good number of people will go that route.. just how these games are these days

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

I think you completely misunderstood my post.  My post was lamenting the fact that they got rid of the trinity and by doing so got rid of grouping and socializing.   

I agree completely that this game proves that, at least at this point, you need the trinity to group and you need the group to socialize.  

Lath

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Lath

I love the fact that I dont need to be a certain class (read: Tank or Healer) to get reliable groups in a timely fashion.  Plus anyone who thinks the PvE in this game is jsut a zerg fest should be banned.  You need to be a skilled player and a good teammate to be able to tackle some of the stuff in explorable mode dungeons and "some" world events.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I think you completely misunderstood my post.  My post was lamenting the fact that they got rid of the trinity and by doing so got rid of grouping and socializing.   

I agree completely that this game proves that, at least at this point, you need the trinity to group and you need the group to socialize.  

Lath

I stand corrected sir! I am sorry I took your post in the wrong content.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

that's WAY more than I get in most themeparks these days.. at least GW2 has a system to bring people together and actually want to fight along side eachother in every quest. Lack of communication is soley on the person behind the keyboard.. sure you could make a game with tons of group only content but as long as there's a route you can take without much interaction a good number of people will go that route.. just how these games are these days

The social in older MMO's  were often bad.

The social in GW2 is a different kind of bad.

Bad is still bad. GW2 community  imo is actually worse than any MMO out currently but the difference is, no one talks in GW2 so it defaults to the illusion of a nice community. In reality it should default to it has none. Lack of social doesn't make social better or good.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'd prefer a trinity with groups of 6.  4 dps per healer/tank sounds about right for finding groups in a trinity and not waiting forever.

The only reason I got sick of the trinity was because of the wait times.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Magnnarot

The game is what you make it, while I leveled, there were many instances where I would find the same people looking for a group for them (probably because we leveled at the same pace). As it happens, they are now either friends or followers in game.

EDIT: The difference between this game and others is a simple one: no pressure, if you ever feel like coming back to play it, or anet released some new interesting content, you can do it free of charge. Retention wont be in terms  of months, but expansions you buy and times you play a month I would guess.

I can take your post there particularly bold part, and copy and paste it into any forum for any game in the world I want. I can do it with ET for the Atari and it would still be somewhat relevant (though the leveling portion and group aspects not really being involved unless you consider people watching). Point is, you can say that, but it really has 0 to do with a game. Its a bad point to make when its a point you can make about the worst game in the world and it still being true. 

And no btw, I'm not trying to say GW2 is the worst game in the world, just trying to make a point EVERY GAME is what you make of it.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I work more with people in GW2 then I did in any other MMO. No game really forces grouping on you anymore (Solo'd more MMO's I played and hardly grouped up)...atleast GW2 forces you to work with others.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

I think the DEs in GW2 are in ways worse than the rifts in Rift.

In Rift everyone was placed in a group, no one talks and everyone just drops group immediately after the rift is down but you were part of a group.

In GW2 you are doing a DE with 20 other people but you are by yourself the entire time. You're not part of a group, no one talks and people walk away after the DE even though there are more parts to it.

In GW2 you might as well be doing DEs with a bunch of NPCs because thats what this system has turned other people into.

The one shining example of people supporting each other: reviving others that are Downed, happens less and less the higher level you are. People begin to realize that participation credit for all DEs is based on damage done only so taking a couple seconds to revive someone that couldnt be bothered to dodge out of the AoE could mean a drop a Bronze. Or worse yet, to no credit at all. This can happen when you have 40 people zerging their way to victory in the Orr DEs.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Lath

I love the fact that I dont need to be a certain class (read: Tank or Healer) to get reliable groups in a timely fashion.  Plus anyone who thinks the PvE in this game is jsut a zerg fest should be banned.  You need to be a skilled player and a good teammate to be able to tackle some of the stuff in explorable mode dungeons and "some" world events.

If 99.999% of the content can be zerged or kited I feel comfortable clasifying it as such.  But just to be clear and so you dont get all bunched up down there- I will change my coment to: 99.9999% of the content can be zerged or kited.

Lath

If 99.999% of the content can be zerged or kited I feel comfortable calsifying it as such.  But just to be clear and so you dont get all bunched up down there- I will change my coment to: 99.9999% of the content can be zerged or kited.

Lath

100% false statement fyi:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    There's still grouping but you are not forced into it. It comes naturally, you are always in group while doing events, you just don't have to party up. There's still content where you must make premade party to do it - dungeons. Also, having a party in WvW is also recommended (better then following a zerg).
  • ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

In Rift everyone was placed in a group, no one talks and everyone just drops group immediately after the rift is down but you were part of a group.

In GW2 you are doing a DE with 20 other people but you are by yourself the entire time. You're not part of a group, no one talks and people walk away after the DE even though there are more parts to it.

In GW2 you might as well be doing DEs with a bunch of NPCs because thats what this system has turned other people into.

The one shining example of people supporting each other: reviving others that are Downed, happens less and less the higher level you are. People begin to realize that participation credit for all DEs is based on damage done only so taking a couple seconds to revive someone that couldnt be bothered to dodge out of the AoE could mean a drop a Bronze. Or worse yet, to no credit at all. This can happen when you have 40 people zerging their way to victory in the Orr DEs.

Perfect example of how GW2 does not want players to help each other.  The interesting part is the played off down state as a community builder. Help your downed ally! "No sorry I'm busy making sure I get max karma. Not my fault he sucks"

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Perfect example of how GW2 does not want players to help each other.  The interesting part is the played off down state as a community builder. Help your downed ally! "No sorry I'm busy making sure I get max karma. Not my fault he sucks"

LOL so true!  

Bad is still bad. GW2 community  imo is actually worse than any MMO out currently but the difference is, no one talks in GW2 so it defaults to the illusion of a nice community. In reality it should default to it has none. Lack of social doesn't make social better or good.

i'd rather actually play along side other people in an online game whether they talk or not.. at least in GW2 i play alongside others almost the entire time unlike most other recent MMOs

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Sounds like life to me in many cases. Choose between stopping what you are doing to help or continuing what you are doing and benefit personally more.

This game is not anti social, people are. This game is as social as YOU the player make it. If you find yourself going for max karma instead of helping another player in need of help then you made a CHOICE. Its not like karma has to be maxed in every quest or the game ends. You can choose to do either. Be a team player or be a selfless twit. By the responses on these forums I am starting to understand.  

i'd rather actually play along side other people in an online game whether they talk or not.. at least in GW2 i play alongside others almost the entire time unlike most other recent MMOs

You are entitled to your opinion! 

However, I would rather play "with" people than "alongside" them.  Seems to me just knowing other people are playing the game does not make me feel like im playing with other people.  

Lath

However, I would rather play "with" people than "alongside" them.  Seems to me just knowing other people are playing the game does not make me feel like im playing with other people.  

Lath

I disagree its peoples actions how they react and fight with you is what makes the difference... and it's not hard ot tell you are fighting alongside real people and say a NPC.. you play together and feed off eachother taking down harder ecounters as a group.. that's what this game is all about to me and I love it.. unlike all the other recent MMOs I have played where unless I actively saught out people to group/play with it just didn't happen.. as they say actions speak much louder than words

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Lath

And nothing is stopping you from achieving that, other than your own decisions.

If you honestly think people are falling for this pile of bullshit, get real. Grouping and socialization in this game is fucking key, unless you want to sit on the sidelines as an off-brand scrub and hope one day someone notices you.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Kost

Lath

If you honestly think people are falling for this pile of bullshit, get real. Grouping and socialization in this game is fucking key, unless you want to sit on the sidelines as an off-brand scrub and hope one day someone notices you.

Are you saying GW2 allows grouping? From some of these posts I assumed that GW2 had a no group and no party policy that prevented people from playing together. I also assumed there was no in game chat since posts here seem to allude to there being no in game conversation. What about guilds? Are you going to say there are guilds where people can get together with many like minded gamers?

Originally posted by Kost

Lath

Wow, take a chill pill buddy!  I didnt mean to poke your sore spot.  Guess talking calmly and rationally about some basic issues, that more than one person is having- is too hard for ya.   I'll just move on and let you vent- and come back later

lath