Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Souls: A game MMO developers could learn a lot from

plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

If you can ignore how shoddy the port is and climatise yourself to using an x-box controller to play (dont even bother trying to play this with mouse and keyboard) then this game quickly becomes amazing!! 

i really wasnt expecting much from it, but im 40 odd hours into it now and i cant remeber being this addicted to a game in the last 10 years.

Its challenging, immersive, looks fantastic (once you install the resolution mod) and the game is HUGE! im pretty sure its gonna be 100+ hours for my 1st playthrough.

....... and all the while ive been playing, all i can think is: why hasnt someone made an MMO like this?

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

Comments

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by plescure
    ....... and all the while ive been playing, all i can think is: why hasnt someone made an MMO like this?

That's because too many people can't handle that type of gamestyle and the level of challenge it has. Look at the MMO market; it's watered down with crappy themepark games that try to emulate what WoW did great back in 2004.

Very few developers have the gall to make a game that attracts to the hardcore market. More and more are trying though, which is a good sign for the industry.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by Kasmos

That's because too many people can't handle that type of gamestyle and the level of challenge it has. Look at the MMO market; it's watered down with crappy themepark games that try to emulate what WoW did great back in 2004.

Very few developers have the gall to make a game that attracts to the hardcore market. More and more are trying though, which is a good sign for the industry.

tbh i never thought i would like dark souls because it was so hard core. im not hard core and i get frustrated easily. ive tried raiding in mmos's and usually lose interest after wiping 10 times on the same boss.

I dont know what makes dark souls different. i spent 3 hours and about 20 deaths trying to kill one boss and yet i never rage quit or even considered giving up. maybe its because every time i died i learnt just a little bit more about my opponent so i still feel like im progressing.

If someone could get this exact format right in an MMO i think it could be hugely successful

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

If you can ignore how shoddy the port is and climatise yourself to using an x-box controller to play (dont even bother trying to play this with mouse and keyboard) then this game quickly becomes amazing!! 

i really wasnt expecting much from it, but im 40 odd hours into it now and i cant remeber being this addicted to a game in the last 10 years.

Its challenging, immersive, looks fantastic (once you install the resolution mod) and the game is HUGE! im pretty sure its gonna be 100+ hours for my 1st playthrough.

No, please no.

When developers "learn" from dark/demon souls, we get Darkfall.

Dark Souls is a patience grinder.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    With all the "I want it now" people playing MMo's nowdays .. the beauty that is Darksouls would *never make it as a MMO

Originally posted by Truelevel
    With all the "I want it now" people playing MMo's nowdays .. the beauty that is Darksouls would *never make it as a MMO

Dark Souls is already an MMO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/26/why-demons-and-dark-souls-are-the-greatest-mmos-ever-made/

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    The creators of Demon's Soul and Dark Souls seem to have a vision that they don't sway from while making their games. Even though it's very linear they seem to do a better job of creating a world to explore and die in than most modern MMORPGs and RPGs.
    Originally posted by AdamTM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/26/why-demons-and-dark-souls-are-the-greatest-mmos-ever-made/

"technically speaking" its not a true mmo but if it were... you wouldnt be capable of playing it XD.

"technically speaking" its not a true mmo but if it were... you wouldnt be capable of playing it XD.

Well, nobody would.

The very design of DS would not work as an MMO.

Yes, its fun to summon 4 of your friends to take down that huge, very lethal boss. Now imagine that raid-size.

The fun suddenly bleeds away.

How about invasions? Yeah its cool to be "ganked" by some guys once in a while. Multiply by a million.

The design of Dark Souls is supposed to make you feel alone, lonely and depressed. Seeing 300 people on screen with names like "SifRaper3039" doesn't make this very engaging. People saying "Wow, if only Dark Souls was an MMO!" don't understand the soul of Dark Souls so to speak.

People who say that see the challenge inherrent in the game and think its the core of DS, its not.

If a DS mmo would be made, it would be -precisely- like Darkfall just in third person. It would be a complete mess.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I play it completley with keyboard and mouse.

Go to dark souls nexus and dowload

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/28/

and this

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19/?tab=3&navtag=/ajax/modimages/?user=0&id=19

follow directionson the site and works like a dream. I have a lvel 33 character and I intend to finish with this character and then play a light armor warrior.

Love this game!

The only reason I'm not on it all the time is because I realize I would be on it all the time. I think dedicated one solid weekend when I started.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

the first one wich was ps3 exclusive sold really well for a first IP more than 2mil i think ?

the second wich is dark souls

and rumors now is that the third one will be again sony exlusive..called forsaken souls

Well, nobody would.

Yes, its fun to summon 4 of your friends to take down that huge, very lethal boss. Now imagine that raid-size.

How about invasions? Yeah its cool to be "ganked" by some guys once in a while. Multiply by a million.

The design of Dark Souls is supposed to make you feel alone, lonely and depressed. Seeing 300 people on screen with names like "SifRaper3039" doesn't make this very engaging. People saying "Wow, if only Dark Souls was an MMO!" don't understand the soul of Dark Souls so to speak.

People who say that see the challenge inherrent in the game and think its the core of DS, its not.

If a DS mmo would be made, it would be -precisely- like Darkfall just in third person. It would be a complete mess.

I see nothing wrong with darkfall "type" game. I would take it a step futher and say I enjoy Darksouls combat over darkfalls plus If you can handle the long, dark & dank that is darksouls than you could most certainly handle darkfall'ish type game.

Remember games were hard and grindy before the "Themepark  Flux" happened so its only a big deal to players like you...

Well, nobody would.

I see nothing wrong with darkfall "type" game. I would take it a step futher and say I enjoy Darksouls combat over darkfalls plus If you can handle the long, dark & dank that is darksouls than you could most certainly handle darkfall'ish type game.

Remember games were hard and grindy before the "Themepark  Flux" happened so its only a big deal to players like you...

Dark Souls combat?

The combat mechanics only work if there are few mobs and few players.

There is no room for tactics, dodging, weaving, blocking if you have 300 people farming around you. Its just going to be a spam-fest. PVP will degenerate into magic characters deploying AOE into large groups of melee-mobs instantly nuking everyone.

The whole combat balance depends on sparse, very specific, enemy placement in a very controled, linear environment. If you take away either, you have killed Dark Souls.

Did you ever do a DS boss with more than two people? Its ridiculously easy. Summoning people in DS is the "easy mode" to beat the game.

Just summon Brolaire and let him tank the boss for a few seconds so you can deplete his HP in total safety. If you use sorceries then you don't even need to get close.

Welcome to the world of XP(soul)-trains where a mob of 30 people will go around destroying everything in sight to farm souls.

Everything about Dark Souls screams PLEASE DONT MAKE ME AN MMO.

You either instance it away (like DS is already) or you lose everything that makes Dark Souls in favor of other similar noskill clusterfucks like Darkfall where people pretend its about "skill" but its about circle-strafing and spamming abilities.

Or it will become TERA/RaiderZ where you pretend its good to roll and block while in reality you can just stand there and spam your attack-button untill the mob croaks.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by Sovrath

and this

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19/?tab=3&navtag=/ajax/modimages/?user=0&id=19

follow directionson the site and works like a dream. I have a lvel 33 character and I intend to finish with this character and then play a light armor warrior.

Love this game!

The only reason I'm not on it all the time is because I realize I would be on it all the time. I think dedicated one solid weekend when I started.

Ah man.I wishi,d known about these mods before in forked

out 30 quid for a controller

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    It is how old school games use to be of any type including MMORPGs. People just don't want to game anymore.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath

and this

Love this game!

Ah man.I wishi,d known about these mods before in forked

out 30 quid for a controller

After I posted in this thread I went back to the game, finished off that giant creepy yet serene moth and ended up getting to lvl 36 before I realized it was way too late in the evening.

For me the game is very addictive.

I have to say that when I started there was a weird fix that required one to download an emulator that didn't entirely work well. So I ended up using my mouse software and put the mouse down to 100 dpi or some such measurement. This actually worked but the camera was still a bit shaky. However, I just coulnd't play with a controller as I just hate them.

Then when I saw that the nexus sites started a Dark Souls site I did a search and discovered this mouse fix which works with another fix that allows one to have higher resolutions.

It took a small bit of time for these to come out but for someone like me the wait was worth it. Still, if you do well at a controller then that could be a preferred way to play. My sense is that the controllerr is a bit more smooth but isn't great for someone that can't get used to them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo