Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Torchlight 2: Beating Blizzard at its Own Game

Comments

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

Its just flat out good old fun ARPG. Level 26 (outlander) now. My only complaints so far is all the useless loot that drops. Also the fact that you do level fast which I fear the end. I dont want it to end because i'm having so much fun.

TL2 is what it is... a fun game worth $20! 

D3 is a good game also , but  in my op TL2 is so much funner to play. 

Path Of Exile has potential for sure..The whole gemming thing through me for a loop , and the massive skill tree. Only got to try it for a few hours last weekend. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Nitre Originally posted by evilastro This game is definitely the spiritual successor to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 was an embarrassment.
    in every damn thread u are hating blizzard games just check his post history lol its ridiculous how obnvious u are dude.   you are hating on D3 in this one..and on WoW on several occasions in other threads. stop baiting ppl to get down on your level !  
    Says the person with 34 posts all praising Blizzard and hating on GW2.

I hate on both D3 and WoW because they are both terrible games, which are the bane of their respective genres.

Just would like to point out that it's kind of interesting watching the Pot and the Kettle meet each other. Anyway...

The one thing that TL2 if far superior in is having places to go after release. Blizzard doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in how they work the game from here on out. Getting past that wall to finish Act 3 or 4 in whatever the third or fourth mode is without a momentous grind, visits to the auction house or both will not go away. Out of all the people playing I know playing D3 on a regular basis, only 1 has stuck with it to get past that wall. Everyone else went on to something else, mostly GW2.

TL2 could add an invisible wall that required grind, or they could take one out and it would be fine because they don't have a philosophical hard line that they can't cross. Want to respec your character? Just wait for the modding kit to be released. That will be the first mod that gets made. They're even considering private, closed servers where the players run things and decide what the rules are. I would not be surprised if someone came up with a way to run an MMORPG from TL2's code. I would be even more surprised if it made it past the tech demo stage, but that's not the point.

TL2 brings to the table the ability to choose how you want to play after you purchase the game. D3 gives you the ability to choose whether you want to buy the game, but after that you play Blizzard's way.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

TL2 has a working loot system.

Which is the key system in loot hunting games.

Can't say the same about D3.

Yeah, that's the real winner quote there. Even if TL2 was deemed an inferior game engine than D3, it actually has a working loot system, of which I won't get into the details when compared to D3, but anyone who has read anything about the major critisms of D3 understands why it was a failure and why any action RPG with actual loot drops will automatically be superior.

D3's loot table was meant to drop for millions of players while TL2's loot table drops loot for a single person playing through the game.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Nitre
    i suppose most ppl here did never play D3 here so they just talk along..or they played beta until the boss and didnt like it..lol..that was tutorial guys.

While there might be some trolls as well you need to realize that people might judge things diffrently than you.

Just because for you Diablo 3 is absolutely superior game and no discussion that does not mean that it will be same for others. 

Torchlight II is just better.   Mechanics, classes, combat, real randomization of game world, itemization - all those much better than Diablo 3.   Animations are worse but not by much. 

Graphics are worse, but at least Runic Games have sticked to their design. It is cartoony and I don't like it, but they never pretended to be difftent.

Diablo 3 graphics quality, textures are better but Diablo 3 while supposedly dark & grimmy it actually are silly.  Blizzard either intentionally or not intentionally made Diablo 3 vibe almost embarassing and silly.   Game not feeling dark & dangerous at all, Diablo itself looking like Zerg unit from Starcraft and idiotic higher level armors and things like Berserker Dragon Ball Z Super Sayain mode.

Not to meniotn Rmah and always online for single player.

No seriously Torchlight II is just better game overall and it is also only 20$ vs 60$ for Diablo 3.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Golden:
    Exactly. Tl2 wasn't designed to make as much money as possible off of cuts from a real money auction house
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    totally like this game .awesome 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I tried liking D3 but honestly couldn't stand it... 

Thoroughly enjoyed the T2 beta and currently playing through the release game.

I would highly recommend it if you like traditional hack and slash fun.

..Cake..

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I agree 100% with this article! TL2 is absolutely amazing. I love the stat points, the skill system, the loot, enchanting and socket systems. Also, man, having that pet to run back to town to sell and pick up items for you is such a time saver and really detracts from the frequent downtime.

I think they should have added just a tiny bit more character customization at the start, especially for the pets, but that's just nitpicking.

Blizzard is incapable of fixing their train wreck, so having an alternative that is more Diablo than D3 will ever be is very nice.

Also, the music was created by the guy who did the music from D1/2, which is very noticeable. Very eery at times, very awesome always.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    i suppose most ppl here did never play D3 here so they just talk along..or they played beta until the boss and didnt like it..lol..that was tutorial guys.

I played it through and it was one of the most disapointing game I've ever played and what made it the most disapointing game I ever played is because the tripe that is D3 was made by Blizzard

Just another company destroyed by corporate greed.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Torchlight 2 was made by same guys as Diablo 2

nuff said!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by fenistil
    /snip

Torchlight II is just better.   Mechanics, classes, combat, real randomization of game world, itemization - all those much better than Diablo 3.   Animations are worse but not by much. 

Graphics are worse, but at least Runic Games have sticked to their design. It is cartoony and I don't like it, but they never pretended to be difftent.

Diablo 3 graphics quality, textures are better but Diablo 3 while supposedly dark & grimmy it actually are silly.  Blizzard either intentionally or not intentionally made Diablo 3 vibe almost embarassing and silly.   Game not feeling dark & dangerous at all, Diablo itself looking like Zerg unit from Starcraft and idiotic higher level armors and things like Berserker Dragon Ball Z Super Sayain mode.

Not to meniotn Rmah and always online for single player.

No seriously Torchlight II is just better game overall and it is also only 20$ vs 60$ for Diablo 3.

Especially these bits.

For me at least, TL2 has just about all of the "pluses" of D3 and many fewer of the minuses.

+ Better toon customization with atts/skill selection, random maps, No RMAH, no online only for SP, slightly better gear system, significantly lower price. (Oh, and LAN play, that is something I actually use)

D3 had marginally better graphics, but that's it.

Bottom line is I am happy with my TL2 purchase, and very much not with my purchase of D3 (or 1/5 purchase of D3 at least - for games of "dubious quality" I split a single copy with some friends and we go over to someone's place on the weekend and try it out, beats everyone buying a coaster.)

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Yeah...  I'm an oldschool D2 fan -  Bought D3 when it launched,  I raged for 2-3 weeks over how bad it was.    I downloaded TL2 and played all weekend.   I'm at work right now and can't stop thinking about how much I want to go home and play some more.  

TL 2 is everything D3 should have been.   It's sad that they achieved that with a fraction of the budget and manpower.   I'm not complaining, though.   $20 got me a fantastic game.  

Way more adventure and charm and not that feeling of "forced fun" whatsoever.    

Blizzard fracking sucks now.    

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    D3 is better in every way other than itemization and box price.
  • cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181

If TL2 is going to compete against D3, they should at least do equal graphics quality or better.

... and I know that gameplay > graphics. Maybe it is just me tired to see new games releases with not so good graphics.

We are in 2012 (meaning we have better tools, game engine, computer, etc).

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I've done D3 to death. TL2 is clearly the better game imo. I ended up hating D3 once I got over 300 hours played.. I might with TL2 as well, who knows. End of the day, I would have played both either way and I have/am. At this point though, with the mods that should be appearing eventually and the random maps that drop as loot for endgame, I expect to put more hours into TL2 than I did with D3.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Enigma8833Enigma8833 Member Posts: 24
    They both have different things to offer. Diablo 3 has far superior graphics and an actual storyline to follow, granted once you have done 1 play-through its moot but torchlight has next to nothing there. Torchlight has more random maps to enjoy and the mods to come to brighten things up too, whereas diablo 3 has just the same grind for gear with not much changing except a few randomized maps that are inevitably the same crap over and over. I have not spent as many hours on torchlight 2 as diablo 3 but in a few months I am sure both games will have been played the same amout of time and granted the same amount of enjoyment for different reasons. Torchlight 2 is so much cheaper it should appeal to more people solely based on that, 60 for diablo 3 was a bit ridiculous.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I dunno, i played torchlight 2 for about an hour or 2, tried all the classes and it's like meh at best.  Diablo 3 was far more fun for me.  Maybe it's because it's just the starting area, but i play for 15 minutes and i'm already bored.
  • brackatchabrackatcha Member Posts: 24
    TL2 is a blast, started playing this weeked (bought off of steam for $19.99); a very good entertainment value. I got bored with D3 very quickly (played the free version, tried out various classes); I cant reall put my finger on it..but the game just felt "dead" to me..I did not want to play the classes or be involved in the storyline at all...
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by cybersrs

If TL2 is going to compete against D3, they should at least do equal graphics quality or better.

... and I know that gameplay > graphics. Maybe it is just me tired to see new games releases with not so good graphics.

We are in 2012 (meaning we have better tools, game engine, computer, etc).

Well TL2 doesnt have top noch graphics, i can give you that. But be honest is D3 graphics are way better? no. A little better yes.

But think about it Blizzard with huge man-power and a with some big ass budget and they give us D3 with not so good graphics, simple customisation, no offline and no lan, they force you to finish the game at normal setting before you can get some challenge etc etc and the list can continu for a while.

Runic is an indie compagny and they dont have illimited ressources, so they probably decided to focus more on the gameplay than the graphics and they did a great job, for 20$ this is no brainer.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Silok
    the gameplay than the graphics and they did a great job, for 20$ this is no brainer.

This is really what it comes down to.       Anyone who's played D3 at all should appreciate this.

D3 tried to steal our wallets at every step.   Nickel and diming after the initial full box price just to be able to enjoy the game at all.    $20 gets me way more from TL2 than even hundreds of dollars that I'd have to spend in D3.

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

I think the only problem with TL2 is the open servers , Thats going to kill the long time investment in my opinion if they were closed id buy it in a heartbeat. Hacks, cheats ect im guessing so im going to pass i did try the trial and i enjoyed it but im all about online multiplayer without cheats.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

Well.

I tell you my story. I played the open stress test, and didn't like Diablo III. If felt over-polished, bland and tired.

Then a bunch of friends came up with your very same reasoning: "Hey, it's just the tutorial. The real game is gonna be great! Come on, you're the biggest Diablo fan ever, what can go wrong?!" And they pushed/convinced me to shell out the money for Diablo III.

To date (and I have been playing VGs for sixteen years now) this remains the only purchase where I feel robbed of my money. I forced myself to play through it, searching for a speck of enjoyment. I even played it again on a different class (perhaps I just had chosen the wrong one). After defeating Diablo the second time, I couldn't take it any more. Over fourty hours wasted on a game I didn't enjoy for a minute. Not only that, but it actively annoyed me.

Because it was exactly how I thought it would be based on my playing of the open stress test.

Torchlight 2, on the other hand, I enjoyed from the first second. And I still enjoy the hell out of it. Just accept it: Yes, it shows that it was produced with a markedly smaller buget than heavy-weight D3. And it still shows Diablo 3 up.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by firewater4176

I think the only problem with TL2 is the open servers , Thats going to kill the long time investment in my opinion if they were closed id buy it in a heartbeat. Hacks, cheats ect im guessing so im going to pass i did try the trial and i enjoyed it but im all about online multiplayer without cheats.

Well i could understand this if it where a focus pvp game but this is not. This is a game where you can play alone or with friends, you explore dungeon, find loot and having fun. Seriously who care if someone you dont know cheat? Just dont play with him.

So you just pass away from a game you enjoyed (you said it yourself) just for this. Well this is a way of thinking which is beyond me, no offence there, i just cant understand this.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I loved D1 and D2.  They were staples of my childhood.

I tried both Torchlight 1 and Diablo 3, but played them only 4 hours and 20 hours respectively.  I liked neither.  I plan to go back to D3 because I feel a little invested in the story and cinematics, but that is about it.

Maybe I have changed, maybe I expect more now, I don't really know.  I still have fond memories of D2 and I don't hate D3 I am glad I bought it but I will spend little to no time on it.

I don't think its action RPGs in general, because I still thirst for a game that is similar to Dreamcast's Armada.  Starfarer and S.P.A.C. are both good games that I have spent some time on that are space RPGs.  I think the combat in these games is more rewarding and strategic than in D3 and torchlight and that is why I gravitate towards them.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

In my mind Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 offer me two different games I can enjoy.  Torchlight 2 offers me an enjoyable single player experience where I can personally find the gear I need to progress, and eventually mod tools to play around with.  Diablo 3 gives me online play with a dedicated server and an auction house economy.

Best part is, if I ever get bored of either, I have the other to still play.  If I get bored of both... then I guess I go back to playing Titan Quest or Diablo II mods.