Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Fail?

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I've posted a few things here about GW2, nothing bad and nothing great, which is pretty much how i feel about this game. [mod edit] GW2 is too easy to level, way to setup for the casual players, will not hold population do to this. The PVP is kind of funny because it doesn't mean anything really, can't wear what gear i want when i want to? what is this? I just hate games that force you to do things, like oh you want to pvp? here your level 80 now, oh you want to wear your pvp gear in the world? are you crazy? you can't do that, you have to wear your pve gear there, it's just silly.

I'm going to say no GW2 is not Fail, but it's not the epic great game fans say it is either. I just hope that over time they make some changes, then it might be something i go back and look at.

Peace,

Lascer

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

If you mean failed on personal level i can not comment on that. But it is not a financial failure. However, as far as long term success goes too soon to comment on that. Player retention si the key, yes even for B2P model because you need to keep your players interested so that they spend money on cash shop and also buy future expansions.

So if they fail to retain players means low population which would lead to server merges. GW2 is designed in a way that you need decent populaiton to get things done especially once you enter lvl 70 to 80 zones.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If I were you I'd cancel my sub immediately and show ANET who's the boss!  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    guild wars 2 will not fail , you can tell by the fact they made a ton of money already yet refuse to hire more Customer service and have tried to migrate everyone coming into the game into as few servers as possible as they say "to keep high population and fun" , its just to keep costs down , its common sense. But will they be the wow killer or competetive with wow? no way in hell , people are already leaving because there is nothing to do at 80 but from what you did at level 20 30 40 50 etc.  They will sell boxes for years to come just like GW1 did and might even eventually pass 10 mil sales for box copies over the years , but they will never have that many concurrent users , there just isnt enough meat and way to much potato in GW2.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I agree with what you say about it being too casual to hold people.

I don't think it is a failure though. The game has made probably twice what normal mmo's do in sales, due to the cash shop.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If I were you I'd cancel my sub immediately and show ANET who's the boss!  image

can't, it's B2P, they already GOT ME!! lol

• frankyteufrankyteu Member Posts: 3

i think seperating the game with PVP en PVE gear wise, is an amazing idea. They had the same in GW1, which makes it just more balanced and gives you the feeling you are playing two separate games. It gives you the option. You can get quite epic pvp armor, and epic pve armor, doesnt that make you feel like a badass, in a way? I think PVP is a little bit meaningless because nobody really knows how WvW works and there is no structure yet. I have faith in that guilds will get the idea, and be setting up strategies. Arenanet will also make some improvements to the PVP. Let the guils develop, the game itself with mechanics, and i see a bright future for GW2.

Everybody is judging GW2 already, people need to realize it is a great game as it self and is completed, yet it is a mmo, its players are really important, they do have a lot of influence in the game. Arenanet gives you a perfect game, but its up to the player to see what they can do with it. And with so many people, an mmo just needs time. Thats why i think i will follow GW2 in the long run, see how it develops.

Originally posted by cronius77
    guild wars 2 will not fail , you can tell by the fact they made a ton of money already yet refuse to hire more Customer service and have tried to migrate everyone coming into the game into as few servers as possible as they say "to keep high population and fun" , its just to keep costs down , its common sense. But will they be the wow killer or competetive with wow? no way in hell , people are already leaving because there is nothing to do at 80 but from what you did at level 20 30 40 50 etc.  They will sell boxes for years to come just like GW1 did and might even eventually pass 10 mil sales for box copies over the years , but they will never have that many concurrent users , there just isnt enough meat and way to much potato in GW2.

Yes i agree with you on all this too. Just upsets me really, i want all MMO's to be great and fun and make a lot of money.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Personal views aside, I don't see that you have any basis to consider GW2 a failure.  Time will tell, but remember that GW1 had a great following and it was even easier to get to level cap in that game.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

This game wont fail because it has no sub, if it had a sub we would be talking about server merges in 6 months. people are more likely to buy expansions every 6 months or so than they would paying 15 bucks a month and feeling like they have to play everyday.

on a personal level this game wasnt for me. but im not big on themparks anyways.

Originally posted by Tawn47

Personal views aside, I don't see that you have any basis to consider GW2 a failure.  Time will tell, but remember that GW1 had a great following and it was even easier to get to level cap in that game.

I dont' think anyone has said it's a failure yet, actually i said no it's not but would like to see them...hmm how do i say this? not take the easy road with the casual players. Yes I played GW1 which was pretty funny but that's another story. Just wanted to get some views from people here to make sure I just wasn't being a tool by pointing out some things.

Peace,

Lascer

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I personally think GW2 is an epic game.  But then again, I'm a mostly PvE player.  I dabble some in WvWvW (I see that as something long term later after I finish the story line).  I think the problem for some people is that they rush through the game to get to 80.  Then they think, "now what?  I don't want to go back to the lower areas.  I don't get to wear my super awesome PvP gear in PvE.  So, now what do I do?"  It is a dillema for sure.

I prefer the slower approach.  See the game.  Live the game.  Enjoy it in the PvE area.  I've been exploring like crazy and following my story.  Trying to build a life for my character.  That's what makes it epic for me.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Those are pretty minor concerns in my book. /shrug

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

As a casual player, this game is awesome.  Check out my decked out character.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not fail for me, best mmo I've played since eve.

It reminds me of daoc, the pvp isn't as good, the pve is better, but its got the same vibe of building community & realm/server pride.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by evolver1972

I personally think GW2 is an epic game.  But then again, I'm a mostly PvE player.  I dabble some in WvWvW (I see that as something long term later after I finish the story line).  I think the problem for some people is that they rush through the game to get to 80.  Then they think, "now what?  I don't want to go back to the lower areas.  I don't get to wear my super awesome PvP gear in PvE.  So, now what do I do?"  It is a dillema for sure.

I prefer the slower approach.  See the game.  Live the game.  Enjoy it in the PvE area.  I've been exploring like crazy and following my story.  Trying to build a life for my character.  That's what makes it epic for me.

i think you are missing the point of why players are leaving , it has nothing to do with pvp gear that is uber . The game at 80 is no different at all then 30 40 50 60 etc. Most players do not care about besting everyone in pvp , there is no real point to world vs world when it models after DAOC and what made DAOC so good was the realm point system and rivalries. Even the pve is kinda pointless unless you are farming karma , for your exotic orr set. Heck man i didnt rush the game at all , played way more casually then ive ever played a game before because i hate pve content in guild wars 2 but i still have an 80 and a 66. The game is the same ol same every zone and the hearts are the same thing over and over especially when you get into the top levels. Heck most of the time Orr is so bugged you cant even farm karma anymore , and ive lost about 50% of my guild back to wow or rift. Its great if you are not there yet, but once you get there i think you will see what we mean.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

If folks only wanted hardcore games, none of the titles out would offer any PvE servers. I for one started out playing UO years ago and the PK action got pretty intense, then moved to a WoW PvP server. Now that I'm older I have chose PvE servers when I play WoW, because thats where I enjoy myself more. I can still go do BGs and such, but not have to feel the ganging pressure that some folks enjoy. 

Yes GW2 has a casual structure. I'm guessing most who like the game for it were playing on PvE servers in other games. I'm guessing half of WoWs servers were PvE, and thats what many folks like, so why can't GW2 have that same atmosphere?

GW2 will not fail, it has to many folks constantly playing and even if some quit for a few weeks they will drop back in and play. It is a no pressure feel and imo hundreds of thousands of students, workers, and everyone with a busy schedule will appreciate what GW2 has to offer. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I found the game to be a little to structured, which is odd considering it's less structured then most themepark MMO's.

The whole seperation of gameplay just made everything feel like entirely different games, and gave it an overly structured feeling for me.  I can understand seperating the sPvP from WvW and PvE, but the PvE and WvW I don't feel required it.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had gone a slightly more DAoC route, and intertwined the WvW and PvE world more to make it feel like there's real impact happening. 

Also, I'm not really getting the "guild wars" point.  Idealy, in my opinion, they should have created a WvW setup that was much more guild driven.  Larger zones, with more points to take, and guilds fighting other guilds for control. 

I don't think it's a failure, nor do I think they'll have any trouble in the long term, but I also don't think as many people are going to stick with it as the hype around the game would lead you to believe.  I'm also of the opinion that Anet is aware of this, which is why the set up some aspects of the game the way they did.  I imagine they plan on fleshing some things out further down the road and don't really expect an overwhelming number of people to stick with the game in the interum. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by cronius77

this

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

I think a lot of people underestimate/ ignore the amount of casual players. I think this is also true to all the people on this site who think no one wants to play themepark games.

I personally don't want to spend over 8 hours a day playing games or be on at specific times and days to raid.  I play games for entertainment and to relax,  not have a second job...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well put OP. The "you pvprs go play over here in this little area." really bothers me. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I found the game to be a little to structured, which is odd considering it's less structured then most themepark MMO's.

The whole seperation of gameplay just made everything feel like entirely different games, and gave it an overly structured feeling for me.  I can understand seperating the sPvP from WvW and PvE, but the PvE and WvW I don't feel required it.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had gone a slightly more DAoC route, and intertwined the WvW and PvE world more to make it feel like there's real impact happening. 

Also, I'm not really getting the "guild wars" point.  Idealy, in my opinion, they should have created a WvW setup that was much more guild driven.  Larger zones, with more points to take, and guilds fighting other guilds for control. 

I don't think it's a failure, nor do I think they'll have any trouble in the long term, but I also don't think as many people are going to stick with it as the hype around the game would lead you to believe.  I'm also of the opinion that Anet is aware of this, which is why the set up some aspects of the game the way they did.  I imagine they plan on fleshing some things out further down the road and don't really expect an overwhelming number of people to stick with the game in the interum. 

You have some great points about the structured features but that isn't a huge breaker for me. The feel is up to you. You can enter WvW via actual portals instead of using B on your keyboard. It may be the players that break the immersion a bit by not using the portal themselves.

Also, Guild Wars is not the name of the title because guilds fight one another. You can see what I mean. Just because it's Guild Wars, doesn't mean you battle guilds anymore than in Starwars you had to battle stars. ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Kyleran

+1

haha!! most anti-trollest reply I have ever seen.  Yea gonna cancel my sub right now LOL

No offence OP, just thought this funny

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'm not really getting the "guild wars" point. 

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Guild Wars is not the name of the title because guilds fight one another. You can see what I mean. Just because it's Guild Wars, doesn't mean you battle guilds anymore than in Starwars you had to battle stars. ;)

personally i think they should have called the game Tyria

but they went w the name GW2 for name brand recognition

"guild wars" name is based on lore http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

there were clashes among different human guilds before the Searing and the threat of the Charr

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nadia

I'm not really getting the "guild wars" point. 

personally i think they should have called the game Tyria

but they went w the name GW2 for name brand recognition

"guild wars" name is based on lore http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

there were clashes among different human guilds before the Searing and the threat of the Charr

"The Guild Wars" is the lore the history of Tyria not about the current events in the world. Can't always take titles on things literally ... I know a lot must of been dissapointed with the movie Naked Lunch for this reason.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Not sure if it is fail but dam im pretty disapointed thought it would be better, pvp seems to be a mess and so far the pve story is pretty lame kinda like it is made for kids i just bought it yesterday and i am bored already no wounder its b2p i would never pay a sub for it .