Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account Hacked!

TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This is the first time I've ever had a hacked account.  I am pretty sad right now because I invested a lot of time into my character. I sent off a letter to support but who knows what will happen.

This morning I could not log in because it said my email was wrong.  When I tried the website, it said my email did not exist.  When I checked my gmail there was a notification saying someone had asked to change my password and they hoped it was me. 

Well I didn't ask to change my password.  I worked literally sun up to sun down last couple days and wasn't even home except to sleep, shower and have a quick bite to eat. 

Unfortunately for me, I purchased a digital download.  I printed out a copy of my receipt as I always do I am sure, but I can't find it at the moment which makes me think I am screwed because I can't find my serial code.  And I can't access my account to see it because someone changed the email log in.

Would my serial code be stored somewhere on my computer?

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Found my serial code! 

Wonder if I will get my account back...and if my gold will be gone along with all my items.  What happens in cases like this?

My character has about 1.5 gold...real rich, lol.  And she is only wearing blues so it's not like she is decked out.]

Holding my breath waiting to hear from customer support.

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

I hope u get ur account back as soon as possible.

Same happened to a friend of mine , let's hope support team will sort it out for both of u.

Have a nice day

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Some of the GW2 fansites had been compromised. If you had the same username/password that might have been the issue.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

the good - you will get your account back but they take forever to respond as they seem to think making all that money and not hiring more CSRs is a good thing.

the Bad- they do not seem to be giving back items to people that got hacked at least that i know of . They might now but for awhile they werent.

Also they will say it was your fault you got hacked and you used a password or email that hackers had or you got a virus on your computer etc etc. I really think by the amount of people getting hacked they have a flaw somewhere in their system just like rift did , when they denied that it was their client being hacked and not the customer.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Trion definitely seems to handle the situation better. Has Arenanet come up with some sort of Security System to prevent this happening in the future?
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Are you sure they changed your Email? been wanting to change mine, but cannot find the option to do so, maybe you should try a recovery?
  • FreakrxFreakrx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    They tried to hack mine, but failed. I got a email on Friday telling me someone was trying to access my account from a different IP address. Goodluck!
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Trion definitely seems to handle the situation better. Has Arenanet come up with some sort of Security System to prevent this happening in the future?

yeah but remember at release trion flat out denied their client was being hacked by a bug that allowed it to be exploited and it took a actual computer science major posting screen shots of how to hack it on their forums for them to finally admit it was their own fault and not the customers. This created a ton of rage at blaming the customer instead of accepting personal responciablity as a company and people left over it.

I think ANet honestly is doing the same thing right now , there are people who have gotten refunds weeks ago still playing the game to this day for free. They lack proper systems , yet blame websites for hacked accounts. Im pretty damn sure that hackers are exploiting THEIR systems and not random fan sites or not everyone has a virus or keylogger.

• frankyteufrankyteu Member Posts: 3

My acount got really just hacked yesterday, and today i have my account back with new password email and everything. I thing arenanet is trying really hard, but i think the main issue is because of the email adress validation problem. I always thought the problem wasnt resolved so never activated, making (im just guessing here) really easy for the hackers to well, hack your account. Now that my email adress is validated, they can see if someone else tried to change it by changing your email adress and getting a notification, and by seeing if it was someone from a different IP adress. So my advice to all you guys is to get your email validated before its too late.

As for OP, im sorry but im guessing getting your items back will be an issue, as in you will not get them back and they will be taken. I lost all my gold, thanks it was only 1 gold, but did lose some items i bought from auction house and were pretty expensive,which sucks cause i reallye wanted to wear them, only needed 1 more level:(.

• mike43978mike43978 Member Posts: 12
    Same thing happened to my account.  Don't worry you will get it back, except they won't replace any of the items / gold you lose.  However your max character will probably be between 10-20 levels higher.  It'll take close to a week to get it back if not longer.  BTW I think this website (mmorpg.com) had their database hacked because this is the only forum I have ever been on and I have never been hacked before.  You'll get your account back, it'll be different, your gold will be gone, items gone, but your character will be higher.  Arenanet says they can't do anything about missing items / de-leveling your character.  ENJOY
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Originally posted by mike43978
    Same thing happened to my account.  Don't worry you will get it back, except they won't replace any of the items / gold you lose.  However your max character will probably be between 10-20 levels higher.  It'll take close to a week to get it back if not longer.  BTW I think this website (mmorpg.com) had their database hacked because this is the only forum I have ever been on and I have never been hacked before.  You'll get your account back, it'll be different, your gold will be gone, items gone, but your character will be higher.  Arenanet says they can't do anything about missing items / de-leveling your character.  ENJOY

There was a limited data breach back in late 2010. Our admin let everyone know at the time. 

So if anyone was a member here in 2010, it's advisable to use a different password for your games.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• mike43978mike43978 Member Posts: 12
    Makes sense, appreciate the honesty/quick response that I wasn't expecting or looking for.  MMORPG still is best forum out there!  lol
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Has Arenanet come up with some sort of Security System to prevent this happening in the future?

from last weeks blog

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/?utm_source=client

We know customers also want a native implementation of two-factor authentication, and we want it too. This is an area where we should act faster as a company, and we’re going to. We had our own homegrown implementation of smartphone two-factor authenticator in testing, but we’re going to pull it back and instead integrate Guild Wars 2 with Google Authenticator, which already has robust authenticator implementations on most major smartphone platforms. We expect to roll this out in the next two weeks.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
This discussion has been closed.