Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Will be a mistake to start playing wow now?

dasX82dasX82 TenerifePosts: 84Member
Will be a mistake to start playing wow now? i have never played it b4 and i tried GW2 but dont like it, i was playing aion, but i'm tired of aion and with no mood to play GW2

Comments

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade BucurestiPosts: 770Member Uncommon
    Wouldn't say it would be a mistake, especially if you don't like GW2s system and liked Aion's. Less grindy than Aion as far as leveling go. If you're fine with the clasic themepark model, I would say it's a good game. And if you don't mind the aestetics and graphic detail.
  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,923Member Uncommon
    Depends really. WoW is very casual based. If you didn't like GW2 I'm not quite sure if you will like wow. The games are actually very similiar if you look at the games in a raw light. Considering you played Aion and didn't like GW2, I'm almost thinking wow is not the game for you. Then again, we all have our own tastes. It all depends really what your looking for. If your intentions were to play for the raids and the likes, I'd suggest playing Rift, particularly when the expansion releases. If your willing to go old school and pay and want the more 'hardcore' game, Vanguard might also be a valid option though your going to have to Pay 2 play considering SoE is using a very trashy F2P model where playing free is just not viable. 
  • MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower beverly hills, CAPosts: 80Member

na there is no better time to start up wow if your new alone with a copy of your own mop =D

resistence is futile join the horde.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,777Member Uncommon

Play what you like! I'm going to play a Pandarian Monk tomrorrow just to check it out for a while. I will also continue GW2 and maxing out my crafting disciplines, doing my personal story, finding dyes, completing my maps, and just enjoying the two games! 

WoW is a legend even if it is slowly fading. I hope it lasts another 8 years or so. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dasX82dasX82 TenerifePosts: 84Member

Thanks for the reply, I dont care too much about the graphics, i'm just looking for for a classic mmorpg with some fun.

Is  there a healthy population on high levels zones? If someone is playing it  could tell me if people there are friendly or just closed groups, grouping with themsel

ty

• DeddpoolDeddpool alta loma, CAPosts: 192Member Uncommon
    Its a mistake to start playing WoW at all..

• korrabiskorrabis Louisville, KYPosts: 19Member
    If you have never played it before then it could be a very good game, if you like how it plays. People are right though, GW2 is a lot like WoW so you may not like it either. I'd download the free trial and try that first, see if you like it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Put it this way.
    Wow box, bc box, wotlk box, cata box and now mop box PLUS a monthly sub AND a cash shop

Or gw2 box, with cash shop. For a better game unless you really really like raiding above everything else.
  • impacted1impacted1 Hayden lake, IDPosts: 14Member

Never a wrong time to play WoW. I've played the game on/off since release and it's a fantastic game. People who tell you that it's a bad game are just lying, maybe it is not what they want it to be, but it's a great game. 

GW2 is also a great game, though I found myself bored rather quickly with it for some reason after hitting 80.

• NitreNitre berlinPosts: 37Member
    everyone playing WoW again..coming from their failed games..wow is the new shit again lol
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Common

I would wait for MOP to come out and probably week from that before starting the game.

A lot of good improvements for levelling in the xpansion aswell.

• pl3dgepl3dge TruroPosts: 182Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Put it this way.
    Wow box, bc box, wotlk box, cata box and now mop box PLUS a monthly sub AND a cash shop

Or gw2 box, with cash shop. For a better game unless you really really like raiding above everything else.

This is such a bad argument and not actually 100% true.

Yes, you need to buy the game but The Burning Crusade and now Wrath of The Lich King are now completely free. All you would need is to buy the battle chest, which is quite cheap now, then purchase Cataclysm and MoP when you reach that point of the game.

The so called 'cash shop' is just a couple mounts and pets, completely optional and only release every 6months or so.

If you play the game and find you enjoy it the sub will feel justified, like you I couldn't get into GW2 even with it being free. However I have little problem paying for WoW each month because i certainly get my play time out of it.

To conclude. No, not a mistake at all. A perfect time in fact, with all the people certain to make Monks now you will find ALOT of people in low level zones, especially with the new Cross Realm Zone feature added ontop. Go for the trial if you are un sure and most importantly, enjoy it :)

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Deddpool
    Its a mistake to start playing WoW at all..

Not entirely true, its great for young kids or people who dont want to think and like getting shiny things to show off while they sit around in town for the dungeons to pop.

• GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon

Right now is a great time to join in.  They just added WotLK to the battlechest pack, which means you get everything except Mists of Pandaria for $20.  You can also play upto level 20 for free with the unlimited trial.  Blizzard has heard the complaints about how muchit was costing new players to join the game.  It used to be $20 for WoW and The Burning Crusade, then $40 for Wrath of the Lich King, then $30-100 for Mists of Pandaria (depends on which version you got, I got CE Box hehe)  Now you can get everything for ~$50 which is cheaper than most games brand new.

Leveling up is fairly easy now, and cataclysm got rid of alot of non-sense quests.  It used to be like 200 quests in some zones, I think the zone with the most quests is like 118 if I remember right.  There are less quests to do, but they give more experience, so leveling is alot faster upto level 80.  After Mists of Pandaria (or did they already do it in 5.0.4-5, I don't remember), they made leveling faster for 80-85.  They tend to do this with every expansion, so you can get to the current content as soon as possible.

• DenambrenDenambren Montreal, QCPosts: 320Member Uncommon

Imo, WoW is the best themepark MMO out there by leaps and bounds.

The people who are sick of it (myself included) have already played it for years and are annoyed that Blizzard hasn't made a new incredible game instead of repeatedly milking the old one (logical for business, of course). So if you're new to the game, that's great. They've improved an already great game even further, so jump right in.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Nitre
    everyone playing WoW again..coming from their failed games..wow is the new shit again lol

WoW never stopped being shit :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by konecta
    Will be a mistake to start playing wow now? i have never played it b4 and i tried GW2 but dont like it, i was playing aion, but i'm tired of aion and with no mood to play GW2

There's no reason to not at least try the free trial. If you're happy after you've played the free trial for awhile, your first purchase from their store will be the WoW battlechest for $20, which includes the Burning Crusade and the Lich King expansions, which is a lot of content. It also includes 30 days of game time. If you're still happy from there, you get the Cataclysm xpac for $40 and if you're still happy after that, you buy Mists of Panderia for whatever that costs. The expansions do not include any game time, so you'll probably have to have your subscription running by the time you get to the Cata content, but if you're still happy at that point, it'll be worth the cost.

So again, start with the free trial, at least see what you're curious about.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,777Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I would wait for MOP to come out and probably week from that before starting the game.

A lot of good improvements for levelling in the xpansion aswell.

Yes. The only thing I'm still leary about is the cross-realm system. I am going to play tomorrow and am curious as how this works.

I remember in WoTLK the instanced areas there were buggy sometimes, and it might be a good idea to wait a week if you are a new player. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• kaliniskalinis Dexter, MEPosts: 1,428Member

yes its worth it. One u can get all the way up to mop for 60 dollars now. The game is fun has alot of content., They are making all races available no matter what expac u have. 

So once mop goes live tuesday u can play panda even if dont have mop. They are adding alot of cool stuff, Like challenge mode dungeons which normalize gear, 

So that people who want can have a real challenge in 5 man as they are even tougher then heroics, They have so much for so many , Casuals and hardcore

but then i love wow, Yes it was my first mmo but ive tired out alot of them, Try the free trial go to level 20 and see if u like it if u do then buy it. No skin off your noise if u dont like it in first 20 levels then dont buy it u have nothign to lose by trying it out. 

• apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitre

WoW was always shit IMO   :)

Evilastro beat me to it  :(

All joking aside, go ahead give it a try. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• kosdethkosdeth Edmonton, ABPosts: 36Member

Just play it, WoW, imo, sets the benchmark of what a complete all round mmo should provide. It has everything that all the other mmos have except in a nicely polished package. there is enough content to keep you busy for months/years. You can play however you like, solo, grouped, strictly pvp etc...

Bottom line is if you enjoy mmos you need to try the king of them and that is WoW. There is a reason millions play it and that's all there is to it.

Even though I'm not subscribed anymore I do go back every now and then just to play battlegrounds.

Just download the trial, I think they let you play until lvl 60 before you have to pay, you can easily decide if it's for you in that time frame.