Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Torchlight 2: Beating Blizzard at its Own Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With last week's release of Torchlight 2, the proverbial gauntlet has been thrown down between Runic Games and Blizzard to find the reigning King of ARPGs. We take a look at Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 to see how the battle fares. Read on and then let us know what you think.

You see, Runic Games have had just a percentage of the budget available to Blizzard, and half the staff behind the scenes, and yet, this is ultimately, and undoubtedly, a superior game. It has more charm, it has more adventure, and it's a fraction of the price. Erring towards the underdog? I'm like those Soviet Union leaders cheering Rocky on when he's duking for the "one in the middle."

Read more of Adam Tingle's Torchlight 2: Beating Blizzard at its Own Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I cannot get on with this game, played half hour and dont plan tog o back, there was no hook, nothing to look forward to, theres no soul there for me, feel very very generic.  But that is just  one guys opinion.
  • LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    your conclusion is a little off. While i had no fun for the first 20 hrs, or the second 20 hrs of D3, and left it at that never to return, I've already had 20hrs of fun with T2, and many more hours will follow. T1 already had me for over 200hrs, and T2 will definately surpass that
  • spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    it is jus ones opinion cuz i own both an i think this is far better
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Congrats on beating blizzard lol you sure stuck it to them
  • PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Wow really? I can't disagree more. TL2 is a great game and worth the price a lot but better than D3..no...

You are stuck to a build,  there will be optimal build soon.. it's 100% solo i will never go online since it's open bnet. so It will be full of hackers withing 2 weeks.

Gear is way too easy to get, everything in this game is easy. You level fast.

They did a lot of great things, phase events are full as hell , but it doesnt require any kiting or challenge at all. It will never be better than d3

• shadowmageshadowmage Member UncommonPosts: 196

I do find my self wanting one more level to get my next skill in TL2 where as in D3 I am more just playing to get to the area I can farm for my next part of the rainbow staff just so I can try that area out.

I think I like the wide open areas of TL2 better as I can explore and find more interesting side quest then I find in D3. The loot seems more interesting in D3 right now, but I am level 40 in it vs 16 in Tl2 and find most loot is not really yet an upgrade. Maybe once I get up to 40 in TL2 the loot might be better?

I am not sure how I feel about the classes in T2 yet. I do like that I can play the outlander in a completely non-standard way. I am specking it out as a Necromancer so I am buying mostly the skills that give me a minion on a kill. It is pretty viable so far. I am not sure I could play a D3 class that far out side of it's nature.

Overall I think each has it appeal.

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    On runics whiteboard during design meetings
    1 make a fun game

On blizzards whiteboard during design meetings
    1 maximize the moneytization of players with the real money auction house
    2 squeeze fun in where you can

No suprises which game Is the most fun
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Sad to say this turned out to be a great deal better than D3. A lot more fun and a lot fewer headaches. We ended up with at least one good ARPG with these releases and thats enough for me. Sad to see the diablo franchise go down the drain :(, but at least we have a decent successor. 
  • Scorp2778Scorp2778 Member Posts: 31

I have played some and still haven't decided if I like it better than D3. The game is really fun for a hack and slah but I would like to see leveling become a little more challenging. Om every mode except elite you pretty much destroy everything Also, you don't get much in the way of variety of what skills you want to use. They have a decent amout of skills but the game limits you from trying something new without creating a new toon. I don't believe they should limit the skill respec to that last few you have picked. The "cut scenes" for the main story were very poorly done imo.

I do like the gear variety better than D3 and think that the game world offers more excitement. The little side quests are nicely done. Specifically, the little zone that gives a shout out to Goonies was great. The game is worth the $20 price but it needs a little work. Overall I wouldn't say the game is a worse game than D3 but I also wouldn't say it is better.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

FANBOI!!!   :P* /raspberry

Actually got a chance to sit down with T2 last night for a bit and I liked it quite a bit. It's too early to tell for me how it stacks up to D3, but since my internet was down and I was playing T2.........

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Lets just skip to the point.

If you enjoyed Diablo 2 and the classic Dungeon Crawler game experience (More

hardcore' if you will with more customization though less room for error): Torchlight 2

If your looking for a very simple experience (simplistic design, no builds so not screwing your character) filled with tons of polish: Diablo 3. 

Really as simple as that. if your expecting TL2 to be more polished then D3 with far less people and no where near the funding and charging 1/3rd the price, your really crazy. I will say though its taking me a lot longer to go through the TL2 'story' of sorts then D3. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Pouf

Wow really? I can't disagree more. TL2 is a great game and worth the price a lot but better than D3..no...

You are stuck to a build,  there will be optimal build soon.. it's 100% solo i will never go online since it's open bnet. so It will be full of hackers withing 2 weeks.

Gear is way too easy to get, everything in this game is easy. You level fast.

They did a lot of great things, phase events are full as hell , but it doesnt require any kiting or challenge at all. It will never be better than d3

Stop playing on easy mode. That you think Vet/Elite don't require kiting (let alone hardcore mode with perma death) leads me to believe you either aren't actually playing and going off what you've read, or playing on normal and expecting it to torture you. As for optimal builds, even at it's worse possibility, it's still better than having your skills chosen for you. You're only stuck on a build for now, the game is moddable and just like TL1, there will be a respec mod within a day of the kit's release. It's one of the first things I'll be downloading, definitely.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by expresso
    I cannot get on with this game, played half hour and dont plan tog o back, there was no hook, nothing to look forward to, theres no soul there for me, feel very very generic.  But that is just  one guys opinion.

One guy.. with a Blizzard character as his avatar.  Coincidence? :P

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37

i did put over 100 hours in my Demonhunter chic and got to inferno difficulty and had lots and lts of fun.

so i downloaded T2 (didnt buy) and i played rougly  5 hours and the game is just so unappealing graphically..i dont like the look at all and the gameplay is same old..yeh it has some nice features but the game is simply no fun to me gameplaywise. i liked T1 better and i finished it.

so no D3 stays king  both ways. sold waaaaaay more copies and has way better gameplay and looks. not to forget noone makes better cutszenes that blizzard.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Sorry but TL2 is in no way superior to D3. not saying D3 was all it could have been either really but TL2 has even less depth in character creation / developement, and just more cartoony straight out of WoW glowing neon my pretty pink poney happy graphics.

TL2 is a bit of fluff thats good for a week or 2 till its faceroll easyness and weak story gets old

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I'm playing a berserker hardcore with a shield on hard and it's not hard. And about those "decided build" in d3.. Blizzard officially released a report a few months ago saying that the most played build was around 4% of total people. I do a lot of public game grind and most of the people i play with have different spellsets..

About kiting, with how fast anyone run it's more a strike. run away then strike again than a actualy circle kiting or "stay in combat" thingy like in d2,d3.. but hey i'm glad you love the game. But unless mods adds a lot, the game won't be played much soon..

Still an amazing game for the 15$ it costed me

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

This game is definitely the spiritual successor to Diablo 2.

Diablo 3 was an embarrassment.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Sounds like tl2 offers more depth than d3...which wouldn't be hard because d3 was so shallow.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol cutscenes, who gives a monkeys about cutscenes.
    Originally posted by evilastro

in every damn thread u are hating blizzard games just check his post history lol its ridiculous how obnvious u are dude.

you are hating on D3 in this one..and on WoW on several occasions in other threads. stop baiting ppl to get down on your level !

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Much better than D3.
    i suppose most ppl here did never play D3 here so they just talk along..or they played beta until the boss and didnt like it..lol..that was tutorial guys.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nitre
    Originally posted by evilastro

in every damn thread u are hating blizzard games just check his post history lol its ridiculous how obnvious u are dude.

you are hating on D3 in this one..and on WoW on several occasions in other threads. stop baiting ppl to get down on your level !

Says the person with 34 posts all praising Blizzard and hating on GW2.

I hate on both D3 and WoW because they are both terrible games, which are the bane of their respective genres.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

TL2 has a working loot system.

Which is the key system in loot hunting games.

Can't say the same about D3.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Seems Blizzard is starting to fall. While i enjoy Torchlight 2, i still think Path of Exile deserves more recognition though, it's a worthy contender and in my opinion far superior to any other "Diablo-clone" out there when it comes to game mechanics and design.