Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the point of this game?

Comments

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Cothor
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    From that point of view, playing any sort of video game is pointless too.

I disagree. In other MMOs you can be better than other players by obtaining the best gear and being able to accomplish things that are not possible for them. I want recognition, I want to be known as one of the best in some catagory. This game does not offer that, the game has absolutely no purpose at all. There is no benefit to being level 80 when you could just be level 10. This game is really confusing and it isn't looking like it will have a bright future.

Your skill in combat is how you determine how you are better than others.  Who cares if anyone can run a dungeon a million times to get some super rare piece of armor or what not.  What is so hard and or special about that?

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Somewhere along the line people need to realize that traditionally MMORPGs were not about fun 1st. They were about goal achievement 1st. It was through this goal achievement that you would enhance the times in the game that you had fun.

But in GW2, the goals do not serve to enhance the fun,The "fun" is supposed to be in achieving the goals. While it may do that to a greater extent than all game before, it still becomes repetitious after a while and that is where the fun fades. MMOs require more than just "fun" to be a long term success.

And to address one of the other points in the thread, GW2 is not mssing the "What to do", it's missing the "why to do it". Which, I guess, ties into my point above.

Off-topic:

Geezer - I appreciate your comments and tend to find them very straightforward, so thanks for them!  (Except the TOR bashing where you are blatantly WRONG!!!) :p

On-topic:

This game is not a typical MMO.  It's a great game, but it's not a great MMORPG.  In fact, it severely lacks in the latter as there is very little to progress to.  I really don't consider this game much of an MMORPG, more of an MMOAPG similar yet different than GW1 was.

MMORPGs and RPGs have always been about the character progression.  When you can unlock the most important parts within the first ten levels, those looking for the RPG part will become quickly bored.

Again, good game, poor MMORPG...IMO (don't want to forget that!!)

Level 80 here, still unlocking many, many things and have more to do. If you are referring to WoW and games like that stringing your skills out there is a reason for that, it's money.

If you dont like the way it works in GW2, simply increment your traits and skill points out like in WoW for example. Unlock a skill every other level and don't put traits in as often. Try to only play with one weapon type for 10 levels, get another weapon and play with it for 10. You can make your own rules! :)

I personally only played with a few different skills in WoW anyway, and having 30 buttons to click on my bars was pointless. Same goes for other games like Rift.

All in all it's how you play any game. The game isn't perfect, but it's hard to ridicule something that gives this much entertainement for $60

edit: sp

wait, so you can run lvl 80 dungeons at lvl 10? you can equip exotic gear at lvl 10? you have all your skills available at lvl 10? (especially the elite skills)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Point of the game is to have fun.

Fun is subjective - if you are having fun, you play - if you are not, play something else!

This is why some people love sandbox MMOs, some love WoW-type end-game MMOs, some like open world PvP, some like instanced battleground/Arena type PvP....

I mean... call me Captain Obvious here - but you people are saying "I don't like something so what's the point of it??"

The point is - if you don't like it - move on.

I'd tell you the EXACT same thing no matter what game or activity it is.

Wasting everyone's time trying to get other people to explain "it" to you, when "it" is different for each person.

Move on - thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit you on the way out - and good luck in finding something you enjoy long term!

Translation: I don't like your opinion so you aren't welcome here.

Sorry Spock, I usually find your posts well thought out and on the money, even if I don't agree. But this one is not the case.

We all paid for the game. We all played it but only some of us enjoy it, That in no way has anything to do with our right to come here and discuss our experiences good or bad.

When we speak bullshit we get called out on it, When we get called out on something that isn't bullshit, we defend our positions. When we find something we agree with, we quote it and second the thought. When we see somthing we don't agree with we question it. Tha'ts what we do here.

What's the difference if I say, Go on somewhere else, this is a bitch thread, you are wasting everyone's time?

That does sound silly.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by sammandar

Somewhere along the line people need to realize that traditionally MMORPGs were not about fun 1st. They were about goal achievement 1st. It was through this goal achievement that you would enhance the times in the game that you had fun.

But in GW2, the goals do not serve to enhance the fun,The "fun" is supposed to be in achieving the goals. While it may do that to a greater extent than all game before, it still becomes repetitious after a while and that is where the fun fades. MMOs require more than just "fun" to be a long term success.

And to address one of the other points in the thread, GW2 is not mssing the "What to do", it's missing the "why to do it". Which, I guess, ties into my point above.

Off-topic:

Geezer - I appreciate your comments and tend to find them very straightforward, so thanks for them!  (Except the TOR bashing where you are blatantly WRONG!!!) :p

On-topic:

This game is not a typical MMO.  It's a great game, but it's not a great MMORPG.  In fact, it severely lacks in the latter as there is very little to progress to.  I really don't consider this game much of an MMORPG, more of an MMOAPG similar yet different than GW1 was.

MMORPGs and RPGs have always been about the character progression.  When you can unlock the most important parts within the first ten levels, those looking for the RPG part will become quickly bored.

Level 80 here, still unlocking many, many things and have more to do. If you are referring to WoW and games like that stringing your skills out there is a reason for that, it's money.

If you dont like the way it works in GW2, simply increment your traits and skill points out like in WoW for example. Unlock a skill every other level and don't put traits in as often. Try to only play with one weapon type for 10 levels, get another weapon and play with it for 10. You can make your own rules! :)

I personally only played with a few different skills in WoW anyway, and having 30 buttons to click on my bars was pointless. Same goes for other games like Rift.

All in all it's how you play any game. The game isn't perfect, but it's hard to ridicule something that gives this much entertainement for $60

wait, so you can run lvl 80 dungeons at lvl 10? you can equip exotic gear at lvl 10? you have all your skills available at lvl 10? (especially the elite skills)

Both of you know what we was referring too don't try and act like you didn't. What he said is true. Maybe you are not playing the game?

Originally posted by Thorbrand

There is no point to the game. Anet just gave us what everyone else has given us just delivered in a different way. Once you hit 80 it is just a grind for things that don't matter in the least. WvW is to exploitable and SPvP has not ranking system.

Anti-farming is to get more people to buy gems for gold!

the game is not even a month old and already dismissing it. The SPVP ranking system hasn't been implemented yet and WVW is still in its infancy, haven't started the 2 week rotations yet. 

The point of GW2 is to have fun, if you're not having fun, then go play another game; if you're having fun, then I hope to see you in WVW :-p

You nailed it. You can not deliver a game that is missing its core end game content and than give us a leveling system that puts us at max in two weeks casual play. That is why all these games are failing they don't give us enough time to level while they prepare end game content.

sorry man, but lvl 80 in 2 weeks is not casual play. It may be casual for hardcore players, but not those who have jobs, families and a life.

If you have reached lvl 80 with 100% map completion, 100% storyline completion, 100% crafting completion and 100% dungeon completion (both story and explorable modes for all 8 dungeons) before Anet can iron out all the details surrounding GW2's "so called" end-game, then yes, I will agree with you.

Just because you've reached lvl 80 does not mean you've completed anything... if anything, you've just started :-)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Fun is subjective - if you are having fun, you play - if you are not, play something else!

This is why some people love sandbox MMOs, some love WoW-type end-game MMOs, some like open world PvP, some like instanced battleground/Arena type PvP....

I mean... call me Captain Obvious here - but you people are saying "I don't like something so what's the point of it??"

Wasting everyone's time trying to get other people to explain "it" to you, when "it" is different for each person.

Move on - thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit you on the way out - and good luck in finding something you enjoy long term!

Sorry Spock, I usually find your posts well thought out and on the money, even if I don't agree. But this one is not the case.

We all paid for the game. We all played it but only some of us enjoy it, That in no way has anything to do with our right to come here and discuss our experiences good or bad.

When we speak bullshit we get called out on it, When we get called out on something that isn't bullshit, we defend our positions. When we find something we agree with, we quote it and second the thought. When we see somthing we don't agree with we question it. Tha'ts what we do here.

Well out of context it does sound dickish, but with the rest of the post - what else is there to say?

Does GW2 need more of a sense of progression? I don't know - some would say yes while some would say no - and most who would say yes are (like the OP) asking to be "better" than other people which is not really what GW1 or 2 is about so...

In context, how am I wrong? It is stupid to say "I don't agree with you so you are wrong" but it is ALSO stupid to say "I hate apples, I like oranges, and I bought an apple, and now I want to complain about this apple because it's not an orange."

Asking for the game to change to meet your expectations is normal, niave, but normal. Happens all the time on these forums.

"I don't like X and want it changed to Y."

That is like, forum 101.

But I thought it was kind of well understood as a "core" system of GW2 that it wasn't going to be a certain way.

And besides, if the OP has full exotic gear (max stats) how is that any different than maxing out your raid/dungeon/pvp gear in a month in any other MMORPG (or MMO expansion) and then complaining until the next "tier" comes out and you can do it all over again?

This is not a problem unique to GW2 - all MMOs have an end to progression - and the good ones still give you a lot to do after you've "maxed out" and GW2 is readily included in that list.

Not the games fault the OP maxed out so fast, it's a fault with the entire genre.

Off-topic:

On-topic:

Both of you know what we was referring too don't try and act like you didn't. What he said is true. Maybe you are not playing the game?

I read his post very careful and am fully aware what he was referring to; still doesn't make it true. I believe both him and you are wrong. I have been playing the game and he's wrong... sorry man

Not the games fault the OP maxed out so fast, it's a fault with the entire genre.

And honestly, what MMORPG player doesn't know this going in?

I hate to say it - but is this your first MMO or first MMO launch OP? Valid question I think.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Lol with the exception of a few people, all the players that were on the forums here that loved GW2 do not even post anymore, why? because obviously they are playing. 

The ones that remain are solo minded are not with a better guild for WvW or PvE and are getting facerolled in sPvP and complaining about gear progression, so they can stand above others that do not have much time to play.

Awesome, I will be enjoying this thread at work today.

/popcorn

P.S - sPvP tournaments.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

As in roleplay?  Lol.  I have actually done some of that, but it doesn't quite make up for it.  Thanks for the tip, though.

Edit: The highlighted green part....I'm not complaining at all about the cost value of the game...it's certainly been a great deal.  But I'd personally rather have a much stronger RPG experience even if that meant a monthly fee...but, the price/value thing is a whole different topic.

As in roleplay?  Lol.  I have actually done some of that, but it doesn't quite make up for it.  Thanks for the tip, though.

You can always just use the weapons you have drop for you - don't buy or craft any - and always use the next best drop.

Creates a good sense of variety and excitement when you get a new drop that's an upgrade AND a different weapon type.

Forces you to learn your profession fully and appreciate the different play styles.

If you are hard set one weapon set 1 and 2 and just use the rest to "complete" your skill list and NEVER go back to anything but weapon set 1 and 2, yeah I can see how people would find that a bit boring after a while.

Also a big tip I didn't know till a few days ago was that when you unlock a major trait slot, you aren't stuck to whatever trait you pick you can freely swap them out at any time and place you aren't in combat.

Loot a new mace? Swap a trait to help your mace skills. Don't like that much? Swap trait to something else and try and new weapon combo.

And I'm always playing with new utility skills, leaving things like Signets on Passive on your bar is boring - use some of the more unique/skill intensive/reactive ones.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Well out of context it does sound dickish, but with the rest of the post - what else is there to say?

Does GW2 need more of a sense of progression? I don't know - some would say yes while some would say no - and most who would say yes are (like the OP) asking to be "better" than other people which is not really what GW1 or 2 is about so...

In context, how am I wrong? It is stupid to say "I don't agree with you so you are wrong" but it is ALSO stupid to say "I hate apples, I like oranges, and I bought an apple, and now I want to complain about this apple because it's not an orange."

Asking for the game to change to meet your expectations is normal, niave, but normal. Happens all the time on these forums.

"I don't like X and want it changed to Y."

That is like, forum 101.

But I thought it was kind of well understood as a "core" system of GW2 that it wasn't going to be a certain way.

And besides, if the OP has full exotic gear (max stats) how is that any different than maxing out your raid/dungeon/pvp gear in a month in any other MMORPG (or MMO expansion) and then complaining until the next "tier" comes out and you can do it all over again?

This is not a problem unique to GW2 - all MMOs have an end to progression - and the good ones still give you a lot to do after you've "maxed out" and GW2 is readily included in that list.

Now, see this is more like you. 

I got nuthin.

LOL

Edit: The highlighted green part....I'm not complaining at all about the cost value of the game...it's certainly been a great deal.  But I'd personally rather have a much stronger RPG experience even if that meant a monthly fee...but, the price/value thing is a whole different topic.

Between the different races and their back story options, and the 3 different orders story-lines there is a LOT of replay value from a story-RPG experience.

And with (usually) multiple paths to level up as many zones overlap/multiple in the same range, the leveling up experience in GW2 is one of if not THE strongest in any MMORPG I've ever seen.

I've re-rolled a half dozen or more times to get my character/profession/story/order/race/gender just PERFECT so my highest level toon after a month is 37 lol.

And if you do as I recommended above and really, really experiment and play with different weapon/trait/utility combinations a lot - very strong sense of progression as you level IMO.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You can always just use the weapons you have drop for you - don't buy or craft any - and always use the next best drop.

Creates a good sense of variety and excitement when you get a new drop that's an upgrade AND a different weapon type.

Forces you to learn your profession fully and appreciate the different play styles.

If you are hard set one weapon set 1 and 2 and just use the rest to "complete" your skill list and NEVER go back to anything but weapon set 1 and 2, yeah I can see how people would find that a bit boring after a while.

Also a big tip I didn't know till a few days ago was that when you unlock a major trait slot, you aren't stuck to whatever trait you pick you can freely swap them out at any time and place you aren't in combat.

Loot a new mace? Swap a trait to help your mace skills. Don't like that much? Swap trait to something else and try and new weapon combo.

And I'm always playing with new utility skills, leaving things like Signets on Passive on your bar is boring - use some of the more unique/skill intensive/reactive ones.

That is how I am playing GW2 - not crafting (except for EPX and bigger bags). I am using what I am finding and playing. It makes the game more difficult, especially when the bosses are champions and you are still using armor you got when you started - more fun!!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Off-topic:

On-topic:

You quoting me? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Off-topic:

On-topic:

You quoting me? 

no man, Grimal

• KungFuPanda2012KungFuPanda2012 Member Posts: 28
    Clearly the OP has played way too much WOW.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

There is no point to the game. Anet just gave us what everyone else has given us just delivered in a different way. Once you hit 80 it is just a grind for things that don't matter in the least. WvW is to exploitable and SPvP has not ranking system.

Anti-farming is to get more people to buy gems for gold!

the game is not even a month old and already dismissing it. The SPVP ranking system hasn't been implemented yet and WVW is still in its infancy, haven't started the 2 week rotations yet. 

The point of GW2 is to have fun, if you're not having fun, then go play another game; if you're having fun, then I hope to see you in WVW :-p

You nailed it. You can not deliver a game that is missing its core end game content and than give us a leveling system that puts us at max in two weeks casual play. That is why all these games are failing they don't give us enough time to level while they prepare end game content.

sorry man, but lvl 80 in 2 weeks is not casual play. It may be casual for hardcore players, but not those who have jobs, families and a life.

If you have reached lvl 80 with 100% map completion, 100% storyline completion, 100% crafting completion and 100% dungeon completion (both story and explorable modes for all 8 dungeons) before Anet can iron out all the details surrounding GW2's "so called" end-game, then yes, I will agree with you.

Just because you've reached lvl 80 does not mean you've completed anything... if anything, you've just started :-)

Thats exactly what I told someone else that is on this forum and in my guild! Once I hit 80 they told me I could now officially say there was nothing left to do in the game, and post it in the forum discussions! lol

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• eaoseaos Member UncommonPosts: 14

I am now really glad I haven't tried GW2, I got my planet side 2 fix, and now its back to play Darkfall online until Unholy Wars comes out.

It seems like GW2 tried really hard to get rid of the "uniqueness" and go for more of a socialist view with the everyone being equal thing.  It just doesnt seem worth suffering through to enjoy the pretty pixels or investing in the 40-50 dollars to buy it.  I didnt even make it to the end of the first GW.

I liked the wow dungeon system and battlegrounds, I was never a fan of the arena because of the extremes people went to. My intrest in wow is about 10% even with their new expansion on the horizon.  I hate getting my carrot on the stick only to find that by the time I get it there is a new and better carrot to quest for.  The treadmill mindset and having all that content they created to be completely useless just doesnt make sense to me. 

I like dynamic content, which someone said the dungeons have, but again you have to suffer through that mess of the dungeon to even experience it.

November 20 can't come soon enough!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by botrytis
    People not usderstanding that the game is not about Armor-stat grind and being Raid ready is not A.Net's fault. It is the players fault for thinking 'MMO's have a one size fits all' formula.

I feel like I've said this a billion times myself.  Nobody's listening, too busy filling their ears with sand.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Homitu
    What's the point of Mario?

I believe the point was to beat the game.  Awesome comparison :P

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Off-topic:

On-topic:

You quoting me? 

no man, Grimal

Sorry, missed this one.  In answer to the question: no.  But my point was you can get all your weapon skills within the first ten levels.  The other skills you unlock past that pale in comparison.  So, for those wanting the character progression aspect might feel the rest is a bit of a letdown (character progression-wise).

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80

there is no point past level 80, its just w vw and grinding for legendary after that nothing.

thats why i took a refund for 2 gw 2 digital sale.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by botrytis
    People not usderstanding that the game is not about Armor-stat grind and being Raid ready is not A.Net's fault. It is the players fault for thinking 'MMO's have a one size fits all' formula.

I feel like I've said this a billion times myself.  Nobody's listening, too busy filling their ears with sand.

you actually think they want to listen? they are just here to spread misinformation because they feel their game of choice is under threat. so many threads are so blatantly inaccurate it's obvious that person hasn't play the game. If you just go to the wow forum you'll see a lot of familiar faces, just saying.

Originally posted by MeGaTronPower

there is no point past level 80, its just w vw and grinding for legendary after that nothing.

thats why i took a refund for 2 gw 2 digital sale.

^ this guys last thread.

goooo blizzzz make another industry best selling game expansions ever, woooo mop will outsell both gw2+ swtor combined in 24 hours for sure another record breaking game expansions again as usual of blizz. Wow just wont die lol