Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AV !!!What have you done to me???!!!

2»

Comments

• gelgoragelgora Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    Why? The moment i saw the DarkFall UW announcement, i immediately lost interest for GW2. I was playing GW2 and having fun, but only in PvE. Anyone else felt the same? :P

no game will ever compare to darkfall, i think everyone lost interest in everything in excitement for dfuw!

• GKnyghtGKnyght Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Flex1
    You all sound so hopeful after the failure of the original game. Do you guys think it will take another year for this mistery game to go gold? have they learned from the horrible mistakes of DF 1?

I think DF 1.0 was very successful in many ways. It stands alone as a hardcore sandbox MMO, the best since pre-Trammel Ulitma Online. That being said there were many issues that had to be resolved by the developers. They've stated that one of the big things they worked on was making the game more accessible to starting players. Many players left because of the harshness of the world to a brand new player, and the steep learning curve with the UI. The devs say these issues have been addressed in the new game.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Always consider that AV isn't a huge company like Blizzard or NCSoft... AV started with few ppl and also think about, what they have accomplished. They even made their own game engine! I simply respect them and their efforts.(QUOTE)

These kinds of comments are so annoying. This company has a running track record of not patching or updating a game for YEARS. This is coming from a long term player of the game that is looking forward to DF 2.0 or as EVERYONE calls it DF 2010 since that was its original release date.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

These kinds of comments are so annoying. This company has a running track record of not patching or updating a game for YEARS. This is coming from a long term player of the game that is looking forward to DF 2.0 or as EVERYONE calls it DF 2010 since that was its original release date.

If the truth annoys you its ok...

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by wuthd
    Originally posted by Rasputin

My problem with the first Darkfall, is that it suffered from poor game design. Almost to the level of no game design at all.

what do u mean with poor game design?

Dump 400 skills (I don't know how many there were) on people, of which many are copy/paste of each other, just with different effects (especially the magic schools). Make no skill cap, meaning that balance is no longer an issue, but at the same time characters will be undefined blobs with no characteristics, as they all move to be GM of all skills and can do everything.

Some skills so ridicilously expensive to train and use, making them at the same time unobtainable to anyone except the top of a few mega guilds, and thus useless to 99%+ of the playerbase.

In Sieges, why make a wall if everybody can just jump over it with little effort? With that little trick, AV defeated one gameplay element completely with another, making cities as good as useless.

Water and ships rendered completely useless by the fact, that anyone with even the heaviest equipment and horse could swim anywhere, making it possible to move an entire army across water with slightly lower speed than a fleet. Nice way to invalidate water as a strategic element, and ships with it.

The PvP balance skewed towards the ganker. Many gatherers would make a noise for gankers to pick up, while at the same time the gatherer could not hear the ganker, and at the same time he would be locked in with his camera so he could not see him either. While at the same time ganking was exciting and therefore easy to put full attention to, while gathering was so boring, that people most probably were all but asleep at the keyboard.

Mobs were ridicilously stupid. Almost no AI at all.

A grindtastic game, where you will spend an eternity - not only grinding, but setting up macros to train skills AFK overnight. Fail to do that, and you will probably never be competitive in a PvP game that was supposed to shine at competitive levels, say thanks to the undefined character/skill system.

No proper housing, as they had promised.

Very few ways beyond creating a guild town to actually change the landscape - in other words no sand in the sandbox.

Nothing really to do in the world outside grinding boring, unchallenging mobs and ganking other people.

There was not one redeeming factor to DFs game design, not one. Nice engine, poor game design.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

DF:UW needs to get the crafting and economic systems right, aswell as the territorial warfare. In addition there needs to be somewhat safer areas, where you can mind your own business without being PKed constantly.
    EvE Online shows how it's done, and if they can deliver on these feature, then I'll be interested.

However, if they just bring out a newer version of DF1, then it'll be the same unispired meaningless crap all over again.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Yalexy

DF:UW needs to get the crafting and economic systems right, aswell as the territorial warfare. In addition there needs to be somewhat safer areas, where you can mind your own business without being PKed constantly.
    EvE Online shows how it's done, and if they can deliver on these feature, then I'll be interested.

However, if they just bring out a newer version of DF1, then it'll be the same unispired meaningless crap all over again.

without a level/skill cap, there will never be any balance, and what armour does is not really effective enough to even count. this is one of the issues that the original game had, and if they don't resolve it, meaningfully, then DF2 will just be yet another afk grindathon. image

• kuntakintaykuntakintay Member Posts: 44

i wasnt playing any mmo's at the time, but yes i have had trouble enjoying a game since UW has been announced mainly because i am anticipating it so much that playing anything eles just isnt fun at the moment

i want some gameplay videos!

• JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187

The first game had lots of potential, it still does. But it was let down by stability issues, interface issues, lack of mobs, lack of quests, lack of faction unity, and basically being a ganker's paradise.

Also the world was far too big for the amount of players they had in it. Sounds like a good thing, but for a PvP centric game it was really hard to find any action.

But the hardest pill to swallow was definitely the amount of grind involved. This game was supposed to be about player skill, but all we ever did was grind our macros for days on end to stay competitive.

I wish them the best and hope that they put the game engine to good use.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by BLOBtheTROLL
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    Why? The moment i saw the DarkFall UW announcement, i immediately lost interest for GW2. I was playing GW2 and having fun, but only in PvE. Anyone else felt the same? :P

After I played darkfall  (2.5 years now) I never got interest for any other game :)  Anyone else felt the same? :P

I am with ya man,  Star Wars junkie here so had to try SWTOR though had my doubts and yeah it sucked.  Did not buy into the hype of GW2 and now I find myself yearning for 11/20.  Hell I just resubbed DF1.0 after one year off and forgot just how sandbox and the amount of freedom this game gave you.  Loving my first few days back in after my long break!!!