Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the point of this game?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Indrome

Having fun. /thread

Sorry, these discussions are beyond me.

I agree with you!

My x-wife asked the same question of all the mmorpgs she watched me play. She lacked imagination I suppose.

Anyway, I looked at your OP history. Every single one of his posts are negative, not just GW2. The only positive one I saw was concerning DAoC. I will agree with him on that one, but he holds no respect in my eyes if everything has no point. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by neonaka

If any of you can produce me a screenshot where you are standing with a full suit of the dungeon token armor on while holding a legendary weapon of your choice then everything you are complaining about is invalid in my eyes.

Why?  You gain nothing from it.  I might as well take a screenshot and MSpaint the gear on my character.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    The point is to play until it's not fun anymore. It won't last as long as say WoW for most people I would think. But then it's not designed as a standard MMO where they want you to keep playing for as long as possible. For me it lasted about a month. And I had fun all the way up to endgame. Now I'll switch to MoP for my endgame needs, while still playing GW2 with my wife a few hours every week.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by vort3x
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

I think all of you are cry baby whiners.

GW2 has no content? GW2 has no character recognition?

GW2 has nothing to do end game?

If any of you can produce me a screenshot where you are standing with a full suit of the dungeon token armor on while holding a legendary weapon of your choice then everything you are complaining about is invalid in my eyes.

Not a single person in this entire thread has even began to scratch the surface on any of those goals. I know because the requirements for these items are on a scale of difficulty so insane that many will never see it.

Yet you want to sit around and say GW2 has no character recognition. The first time I see a player with the items I named above equipped I will personally send them a tell to ask where they are so I can come personally face to face tell them they are a bad ass and earned respect.

Now stop crying and go get "recognition" for your character.

Your missing the point, all these thing you mention do  not make your character/avatar advance or become stonger etc. It's all just cosmetic.

It's not about crying in fact  you have it all wrong. The cry babies are those that can't put effort into making their avatar stronger or better . The cry babies are the ones that want all classes to be balanced in all aspects and all gear of same type to have the same stats etc etc so it fair in pvp.

I'm sorry but i will not grind a dungeon becuase i want  my armor to match the color of my eyes or this one has spikes and that one doesn't, I will however grind a dungeon if it will give me better gear that will allow me to go pvp with a distinct advantage and make the "cry babies" cry .  image

Acutally this thread and your way of thinking would suggest that the real "cry babies" are the people that  get trashed in GW2 pvp, because they do not have the gear advantage that they are used to have in other MMOs, even though they are playing the game much more than people that are owning them...

I love it.

wut?  

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Cothor

WvW seems pointless really. The bonuses are not significant enough to care about.

spvp is pointless as the gear cannot be worn outside

Dungeons are pointless other than farming shards for crafting

It would seem there is no way to elevate yourself beyond others, there is no form of name recognition, no way to be known as the richest, best, etc. Just pointless content.

The graphics and questing system are very good, but once you hit 80 the game just comes to a halt. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Finally people are seeing what I have been saying since Arena.Net said they were going to make GW2. Arena.Net and NCsoft have no concept of end game whether it is PvP or PvE. Everyone laughed at me and said Guild Wars 2 would be different from Guild Wars 1. whelp here it comes

"I TOLD YOU SO!"

I still laught at you on how little minded you are, looks like a kid who bash the other people because they are insecure, or they have a better game and you are jealous.

tell me what is the point to even play a game? hell what is the point in come to a forum to complain? none.

they finally did something out of the normal talk to npc get quest then deliver, most of time you talk with a nc asking for mobs or item drop from mobs you killed to get to him, more pointless grind, the main point for this game is the events I find it nice in orr when its all about events to invade it from 3 points, at least we have something new and diferent to do.

if you want to grind gear you still can, but hopping to be better then others because of it? not gonna happen.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by Draemos

Why?  You gain nothing from it.  I might as well take a screenshot and MSpaint the gear on my character.

Do you gain anything from any game you play? I could take a photo of myself sitting at my desk, MSpaint an image of an mmorpg on my monitor, and just feel like I played a game. 

The point is of course to have fun with a game, not bitch about it. If you don't like the game then go play something else or MSpaint yourself doing something like sydiving. Now that has a point!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Cothor

WvW seems pointless really. The bonuses are not significant enough to care about.

spvp is pointless as the gear cannot be worn outside

Dungeons are pointless other than farming shards for crafting

It would seem there is no way to elevate yourself beyond others, there is no form of name recognition, no way to be known as the richest, best, etc. Just pointless content.

The graphics and questing system are very good, but once you hit 80 the game just comes to a halt. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Finally people are seeing what I have been saying since Arena.Net said they were going to make GW2. Arena.Net and NCsoft have no concept of end game whether it is PvP or PvE. Everyone laughed at me and said Guild Wars 2 would be different from Guild Wars 1. whelp here it comes

"I TOLD YOU SO!"

IDK GuildWars 1 end game was awesome IMO.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    All they have to do is put some sort of Guild/Player recognition into the game and everyone will be happy. It gives everyone a reason to become the best. That is why we play these games is to have fun and be the best. I hope they come up with something.
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    The point is to play until it's not fun anymore. It won't last as long as say WoW for most people I would think. But then it's not designed as a standard MMO where they want you to keep playing for as long as possible. For me it lasted about a month. And I had fun all the way up to endgame. Now I'll switch to MoP for my endgame needs, while still playing GW2 with my wife a few hours every week.

A+

I will be doing the same thing except probably play GW2 more than MoP. If MoP gets boring I will switch to Rift. Vanguard is f2p now and SWToR is just around the corner. 

What is the purpose of any of these games? You Sir Svarcanum answered the question. 

lock the thread!

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Having fun. /thread

I agree with you!

My x-wife asked the same question of all the mmorpgs she watched me play. She lacked imagination I suppose.

Anyway, I looked at your OP history. Every single one of his posts are negative, not just GW2. The only positive one I saw was concerning DAoC. I will agree with him on that one, but he holds no respect in my eyes if everything has no point. 

Agreed. I find it kind of funny  the "revelations" and "realizations" people have only to later see that they've always held that view from the beginning. The point of a game is to have fun. If you're not having fun then move on to another game or find some other hobby, if you're still having fun, then by all means continue playing.

I'm not one of those who preaches at everyone else telling them they're playing the game wrong, but I suspect that most people who run into this problem tend to "rush" to lvl 80, much like WOW has trained us for the past 7+ years. My wife and I already have 2 toons each at lvl 80 and we still find much to do. I'm still working on crafting and personal story, she's working on more alts. I find it hard to believe people run out of things to do in GW2; hell I'm only at 34% map exploration with my main!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

It's not meant for the people that play 20 hours a day so they can have +1 stats more than anyone else.

We all knew this going in, so why is it all of a sudden a problem?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Quite sad that so many people seem to think acquiring some set of slightly more powerfull pixels than the last set of pixels for your character gives games meaning.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Homitu
    What's the point of Mario?

To bang the Princess. image

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    People not usderstanding that the game is not about Armor-stat grind and being Raid ready is not A.Net's fault. It is the players fault for thinking 'MMO's have a one size fits all' formula.

Originally posted by sammandar

Having fun. /thread

I agree with you!

Agreed. I find it kind of funny  the "revelations" and "realizations" people have only to later see that they've always held that view from the beginning. The point of a game is to have fun. If you're not having fun then move on to another game or find some other hobby, if you're still having fun, then by all means continue playing.

I'm not one of those who preaches at everyone else telling them they're playing the game wrong, but I suspect that most people who run into this problem tend to "rush" to lvl 80, much like WOW has trained us for the past 7+ years. My wife and I already have 2 toons each at lvl 80 and we still find much to do. I'm still working on crafting and personal story, she's working on more alts. I find it hard to believe people run out of things to do in GW2; hell I'm only at 34% map exploration with my main!

I just hit like 62% of map completion. The amount of things to do at level 80 are overwhelming.

Like you I don't want to be telling others they are playing the game wrong, but you are right! Once you hit the level cap is far from the end of the game. I see no end because of the content available now, and the expansions that will come out later.

Dumb WoW and it's burning the levels into our brains as being the end! lol I can say that because tomorrow I will be playing MoP and I have learned to play two different games, and can seperate their differences. :)

Having fun. /thread

I agree with you!

I just hit like 62% of map completion. The amount of things to do at level 80 are overwhelming.

Like you I don't want to be telling others they are playing the game wrong, but you are right! Once you hit the level cap is far from the end of the game. I see no end because of the content available now, and the expansions that will come out later.

Dumb WoW and it's burning the levels into our brains as being the end! lol I can say that because tomorrow I will be playing MoP and I have learned to play two different games, and can seperate their differences. :)

Both my wife and I quit wow. I quit when Cata came, my wife quit when the MoP patch came; they changed so much that she said "f*ck it! I'm done!" haha. Gets old relearning your character with every expansion. WOW was a great game but at least for my wife and I, its the past now... GW2 is the future for us (we'll see about Titan).

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Somewhere along the line people need to realize that traditionally MMORPGs were not about fun 1st. They were about goal achievement 1st. It was through this goal achievement that you would enhance the times in the game that you had fun.

But in GW2, the goals do not serve to enhance the fun,The "fun" is supposed to be in achieving the goals. While it may do that to a greater extent than all game before, it still becomes repetitious after a while and that is where the fun fades. MMOs require more than just "fun" to be a long term success.

And to address one of the other points in the thread, GW2 is not mssing the "What to do", it's missing the "why to do it". Which, I guess, ties into my point above.

Off-topic:

Geezer - I appreciate your comments and tend to find them very straightforward, so thanks for them!  (Except the TOR bashing where you are blatantly WRONG!!!) :p

On-topic:

This game is not a typical MMO.  It's a great game, but it's not a great MMORPG.  In fact, it severely lacks in the latter as there is very little to progress to.  I really don't consider this game much of an MMORPG, more of an MMOAPG similar yet different than GW1 was.

MMORPGs and RPGs have always been about the character progression.  When you can unlock the most important parts within the first ten levels, those looking for the RPG part will become quickly bored.

Again, good game, poor MMORPG...IMO (don't want to forget that!!)

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

It really just seems that people want the game to give them big numbers, so that they can raid/pvp to get even bigger numbers to beat the boss'/other player's numbers. 

In my experience, WoW basically scales to you, as long as you are doing level appropriate level content.  IE you need T10 to do one dungeon then T11 to do the next, ect.  All it does is give you bigger numbers to throw against the boss' bigger numbers, you're not cutting a bloodier swath through the T11 dungeon any more than you did the T10.  Your abilities hit harder, but the enemies have more HP, so is it really that different?  All thats effectively different is the mechanics.  Sure you could go to lower content and pwn, but in my experience you dont unless you are looking for something very specific.

All GW2 does differently is scale you down so ALL content is a challenge.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

There is no point to the game. Anet just gave us what everyone else has given us just delivered in a different way. Once you hit 80 it is just a grind for things that don't matter in the least. WvW is to exploitable and SPvP has not ranking system.

Anti-farming is to get more people to buy gems for gold!

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Joriel
    the point is to have fun

This is why I play games. 

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    The OP isn't talking about Gear Progression. Some of you need to learn to read. He is asking what the point of playing is since it is an MMORPG. MMORPG's are supposed to be different than single player RPG's. Guild Wars 2 needs some type of character/guild recognition to make people feel like they are playing an MMORPG and getting some sort of character progression.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Point of the game is to have fun.

Fun is subjective - if you are having fun, you play - if you are not, play something else!

This is why some people love sandbox MMOs, some love WoW-type end-game MMOs, some like open world PvP, some like instanced battleground/Arena type PvP....

I mean... call me Captain Obvious here - but you people are saying "I don't like something so what's the point of it??"

The point is - if you don't like it - move on.

I'd tell you the EXACT same thing no matter what game or activity it is.

Wasting everyone's time trying to get other people to explain "it" to you, when "it" is different for each person.

Move on - thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit you on the way out - and good luck in finding something you enjoy long term!

Originally posted by Thorbrand

There is no point to the game. Anet just gave us what everyone else has given us just delivered in a different way. Once you hit 80 it is just a grind for things that don't matter in the least. WvW is to exploitable and SPvP has not ranking system.

the game is not even a month old and already dismissing it. The SPVP ranking system hasn't been implemented yet and WVW is still in its infancy, haven't started the 2 week rotations yet. 

The point of GW2 is to have fun, if you're not having fun, then go play another game; if you're having fun, then I hope to see you in WVW :-p

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Somewhere along the line people need to realize that traditionally MMORPGs were not about fun 1st. They were about goal achievement 1st. It was through this goal achievement that you would enhance the times in the game that you had fun.

But in GW2, the goals do not serve to enhance the fun,The "fun" is supposed to be in achieving the goals. While it may do that to a greater extent than all game before, it still becomes repetitious after a while and that is where the fun fades. MMOs require more than just "fun" to be a long term success.

And to address one of the other points in the thread, GW2 is not mssing the "What to do", it's missing the "why to do it". Which, I guess, ties into my point above.

Off-topic:

Geezer - I appreciate your comments and tend to find them very straightforward, so thanks for them!  (Except the TOR bashing where you are blatantly WRONG!!!) :p

On-topic:

This game is not a typical MMO.  It's a great game, but it's not a great MMORPG.  In fact, it severely lacks in the latter as there is very little to progress to.  I really don't consider this game much of an MMORPG, more of an MMOAPG similar yet different than GW1 was.

MMORPGs and RPGs have always been about the character progression.  When you can unlock the most important parts within the first ten levels, those looking for the RPG part will become quickly bored.

Again, good game, poor MMORPG...IMO (don't want to forget that!!)

Level 80 here, still unlocking many, many things and have more to do. If you are referring to WoW and games like that stringing your skills out there is a reason for that, it's money.

If you dont like the way it works in GW2, simply increment your traits and skill points out like in WoW for example. Unlock a skill every other level and don't put traits in as often. Try to only play with one weapon type for 10 levels, get another weapon and play with it for 10. You can make your own rules! :)

I personally only played with a few different skills in WoW anyway, and having 30 buttons to click on my bars was pointless. Same goes for other games like Rift.

All in all it's how you play any game. The game isn't perfect, but it's hard to ridicule something that gives this much entertainement for $60

edit: sp

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

the game is not even a month old and already dismissing it. The SPVP ranking system hasn't been implemented yet and WVW is still in its infancy, haven't started the 2 week rotations yet. 

The point of GW2 is to have fun, if you're not having fun, then go play another game; if you're having fun, then I hope to see you in WVW :-p

You nailed it. You can not deliver a game that is missing its core end game content and than give us a leveling system that puts us at max in two weeks casual play. That is why all these games are failing they don't give us enough time to level while they prepare end game content.