Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scam is back in a SW MMO

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

How many of you wasted $$$ in SWG TCG to be left with nothing since the closure of the game?

Well the scam is back in another a bit more subtle form.

Form today Q&A:

Quote" We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool – they going to make you look AMAZING!)"

Prepare your credits: you're going to be milked dry.

(edit) Massively take on the lockboxes and so: clicky

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Hey, community has been asking for gambling in SWTOR for ages. Now you will get real money gambling ;P
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

We've all seen the end game gear so when they say cool and I'll look amazing, I jump behind someone fat.

About the TCG thing, I never spend a dime on it. I loved how they gave free decks every month and I spent a year solid trying to win the hanger. I finally won it, started decorating it and month later came the closure announcement. That was a major contrubutor toward my raging.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

STO does this kind of thing too with Lock Boxes and Master Keys

You loot a Lock Box, and then you can only open them with a Master Key bought from the store with ZEN. They contain about 1 really must have rare item, and then the rest is just filler loot.

At least you can play the game to get ZEN

F2P games just detroys the soul of a game. eg LOTRO - Busy playing other MMOs, and then suddenly spot they have a limited time mount in the store, but as I do not have enough time to get character to level 20, I just log in buy the rifding skill and then buy the mount, logoit and not played the game at all. The better option would be to just put a quest in the game for you to play to get that mount.

With both LOTRO and STO they always put stuff in the store that is temporary, as a motivator to get people to log in and get them befiore they are gone. LOTRO with mounts, and STO with lock boxess.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

TOR's F2P is sounding pretty horrible. You can play one wz a day, or you can buy access to more with cartel coins. Same with operations.

You can't level past 50(they are coming out with a level expansion around the same time they go F2P).

So if you quit the game at level 50, there is no reason to go back, if you do You'll be a second class citizen(I'm sure guilds would be excited to have someone that can't run WZ's or Operations and is underpowered.)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by superniceguy

And you mentioned LotRO, there are also lockboxes, just as in other games...

Seriously, it's hard to believe there's not at least one agency, which could step in. Lockboxes spreading in games like wildfire, not suprisingly of course, there's big money in gambling. It's not a coincidence that most countries keeping the right to organize, or to allow someone else to organize it...

Yes, I know games are in the grey area, since you win only virtual stuff for your (real) money, but it's still gambling.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Pssst. I'll let you in on a secret. Well not really a secret, more of an opinion.

The cash shop will be designed to make money off the subscribers, not the extended trial FTPers.

FTP allows EA to hide sub numbers and double dip on their few remaining subs.

In essence, the model is essentially the same as what Warhammer On Line has become.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

You loot a Lock Box, and then you can only open them with a Master Key bought from the store with ZEN. They contain about 1 really must have rare item, and then the rest is just filler loot.

F2P games just detroys the soul of a game. eg LOTRO - Busy playing other MMOs, and then suddenly spot they have a limited time mount in the store, but as I do not have enough time to get character to level 20, I just log in buy the rifding skill and then buy the mount, logoit and not played the game at all. The better option would be to just put a quest in the game for you to play to get that mount.

With both LOTRO and STO they always put stuff in the store that is temporary, as a motivator to get people to log in and get them befiore they are gone. LOTRO with mounts, and STO with lock boxess.

Doesn't GW2 have the same thing as well with the black trading chests that require a key from the gemstore to open.  This is part of f2p.  Everyone thinks f2p is so awesome and monthly subs suck so stuff like this is part of getting what you asked for.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

Doesn't GW2 have the same thing as well with the black trading chests that require a key from the gemstore to open.  This is part of f2p.  Everyone thinks f2p is so awesome and monthly subs suck so stuff like this is part of getting what you asked for.

To be fair, you can get keys for the GW2 chests in game, either as a drop or a quest reward.  Its still very rare to get them that way but you can get them through normal game play.  The lock boxs, however, aren't rare and drop quite frequently, which is why you can buy them on the trading post very cheaply.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Yes.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Ginaz

To be fair, you can get keys for the GW2 chests in game, either as a drop or a quest reward.  Its still very rare to get them that way but you can get them through normal game play.  The lock boxs, however, aren't rare and drop quite frequently, which is why you can buy them on the trading post very cheaply.

To be fair, we don't know yet how much will be the random gear boxes in TOR.

But so far until proven otherwise GW2 indeed provides you the key for free in the game.

Same for the dyes and the pets. You can find them all in game and they are not even BoP but bound on account then BoE

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

All fee 2 p lay games sell stuff in cash shops u cant always get in game world, Its all cosmetic or u didnt read that quote to well. Not power items it specificly said. 

I find it funny a company does something like goes free 2 play adds a cash shop then people who wont pay a sub whine about the cash shop its funny, No company gives there games away for free.

They have to make money on them. Gw 2 everyones favorite game has a cash shop , Maybe u can with alot of effort get those things in game world but it still has a cash shop so people dont have to spend the time getting items and can buy them instead,

Truth is people whined about tors launch while beating down everyone who has anything bad to say about gw2 launch but if tor had had the launch gw2 had everyone of those sticking up for gw 2 would of slammmed tor. 

Just another tor hater thread ud think tor having to go free 2 play and not keeping more then 1 mil subs would of satisfied these people but no only games failing pleases them

No game failing makes me happy cause it means companies are less likely to spend money to make games if most of them fail. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by kalinis

All fee 2 p lay games sell stuff in cash shops u cant always get in game world, Its all cosmetic or u didnt read that quote to well. Not power items it specificly said. 

I find it funny a company does something like goes free 2 play adds a cash shop then people who wont pay a sub whine about the cash shop its funny, No company gives there games away for free.

They have to make money on them. Gw 2 everyones favorite game has a cash shop , Maybe u can with alot of effort get those things in game world but it still has a cash shop so people dont have to spend the time getting items and can buy them instead,

Truth is people whined about tors launch while beating down everyone who has anything bad to say about gw2 launch but if tor had had the launch gw2 had everyone of those sticking up for gw 2 would of slammmed tor. 

Just another tor hater thread ud think tor having to go free 2 play and not keeping more then 1 mil subs would of satisfied these people but no only games failing pleases them

No game failing makes me happy cause it means companies are less likely to spend money to make games if most of them fail. 

NCSoft is leading the industry right now in providing "Truly F2P" games.  When Aion went F2P, then meant it, FREE.  Free download, max characters to create, any and every content FREE.  They make money off fluff from costumes, disguises, housing furniture, etc.  They have leveling buffs, but they also make it clear that there are no paid-for buffs to affect anything competitive.

League of Legends is also one of their games, and, TADA .. it's not a MMORPG, but it's also completely free, and not P2W.

GW2 is also now under their wing, and I kinda hope ArcheAge will be also.

So your comment that no company gives games away for free is bullshit.  Good companies who have pride in their work give games away because they know people will invest in them.  EA does not fit that category, so they will never give a game away for free.  So your statement probably should just say EA doesn't give their games away for free.  Which would be true.  I can't say they have a good reputation for that, but whatever.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Pssst. I'll let you in on a secret. Well not really a secret, more of an opinion.

The cash shop will be designed to make money off the subscribers, not the extended trial FTPers.

FTP allows EA to hide sub numbers and double dip on their few remaining subs.

In essence, the model is essentially the same as what Warhammer On Line has become.

This. ^ ^

Makes sense

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Karteli

League of Legends is also one of their games, and, TADA .. it's not a MMORPG, but it's also completely free, and not P2W.

There should be a special forum title available for things like this...

...the girlfriend's driving me to the hospital now - that's how hard I hit myself with a /facepalm.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Deewe

How many of you wasted $$$ in SWG TCG to be left with nothing since the closure of the game?

Form today Q&A:

Quote" We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool – they going to make you look AMAZING!)"

If you pay a sub, you´ll have cartel coins for free every month to buy those cosmetic things, Is just cosmetic stuff. 

Originally posted by Eletheryl

If you pay a sub, you´ll have cartel coins for free every month to buy those cosmetic things, Is just cosmetic stuff. 

How do you get cartel coins "free" if you pay a sub?

Its real money gambling.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by william0532

TOR's F2P is sounding pretty horrible. You can play one wz a day, or you can buy access to more with cartel coins. Same with operations.

You can't level past 50(they are coming out with a level expansion around the same time they go F2P).

So if you quit the game at level 50, there is no reason to go back, if you do You'll be a second class citizen(I'm sure guilds would be excited to have someone that can't run WZ's or Operations and is underpowered.)

"Cartel coins" are very well named though.

But yeah, F2P is a scam. EA expect to get out more money out of this compared to monthly fees and they will try to milk the players of every dime. At least with old styled P2P (the one without itemshops) you payed a static fee for full services and thats it.

The worst thing is that in a very close future all  games, not just MMOs, will be F2P instead of B2P as most games still are. And they dont do something like that out of kindness, they plan to increase profits a lot and we the gamers will have to pay as usual.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by mikahr

Its real money gambling.

He just meant you won't have to pay additional to get cartel coins if you're subbed. Although I'm pretty sure you can plop down additional cash if the "free" coins aren't enough.

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by mikahr

Its real money gambling.

He just meant you won't have to pay additional to get cartel coins if you're subbed. Although I'm pretty sure you can plop down additional cash if the "free" coins aren't enough.

Its ridiculous to call those free in any way you try to put it.

Its like saying that now if you buy the game+pay sub you can play it for free for 1 month.

Sounds ridiculous?

Unless there is a way to get Cartel coins WITHOUT PAYING anything (like you can get TP in LOTRO/DDO).

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Two things popped into my mind:

- Lockbox Wars

- Star Gamble

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Deewe

Form today Q&A:

Hmm where is the scam you speak of?

Never played TCG in SWG, yet have played SWG allot, but that cardgame never intrested me.

To me something is a scam is you are forced to use something, and seems like many times again some people seem to force stuff upon themselfs that are optional towards everyone else.

So there is NOTHING to be prepared for as it's optional.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I expect this game to have its life support removed sometime next year

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

Don't think that will happen.

I am enjoying the GAME.

As a MMORPG it failed for me, but for a co-op online RPG it is really good and enjoyable.

I really had to go in with a different mindset and that worked for me.

If I kept the mindset of thinking it's a MMORPG than I wouldn't even bother playing it. But since I am a gamer I can enjoy this game.

Regardless I already knew from before release that SWtOR wasn't the MMORPG I was looking for even though I am a hugh Star Wars fan. Else I would have bought the game at release. Instead I just started playing for nearly 2/3 months now and despite it does not give me the fibe of it being a MMORPG. It does give me a fibe of being a enjoyable game.

Makes me wonder if they marketed the game as a co-op online RPG if it would have done better?

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Lol. This is just plain silly, and unclear thinking >.<

Or maybe more like wishful thinking.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I held a party with a few ppl when it announced ftp, if its plug gets pulled I'm hiring one of those obnoxious hummer limos and I'll fill it with hookers and party like its 1999.