Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P and the Server Merges Questions

I left TOR jsut after the last server merges.  I'm curious about two things, when is the game going F2P and what will the state of my characters be when I return?  Have all my characters move to a new Server, again? 

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Any help would be apprecited.  Thanks.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    No idea but tbh the game is not even worth playing even if it was free . And it wont be free they said they are limiting access unless you sub . Sorry but i have 2 lvl 50's and i wont be going back horrible game .
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ompgaming
    I left TOR jsut after the last server merges.  I'm curious about two things, when is the game going F2P and what will the state of my characters be when I return?  Have all my characters move to a new Server, again? 

If you are coming back because it will be Freemium, you might be disappointed.

1 WZ per day

1 flashpoint per day

No operations, ever

No postings on GTN, can only buy

limited inventory (ala Runes of Magic)

limited / no bank access

Cannot send mail

No shouts / general

Limited races (Humans)

Limited level (max will be 51+).  Your limit is 50.

Limited travel, limited vehicles, slow speed if any

No instant travel

I'm sure I missed some, if I did, maybe someone will add them.  Other areas of limitations MIGHT include the maximum of credits you can currently hold, and the number of max quests behing held.  These are not set  (yet) to my knowledge.

As for the state of your characters, you might have to rename them, since EA kept the names of all players they consolidated, even players that haven't logged on in 9 months might have the same as yours.  The mega servers retain all the old character data to make them mega.  Mega because of all the people who unsubbed and servers have to retain 10 times the chracter data than those actually playing :P  Essentially, huge hard drives.  Worse case you'll have to rename your character(s).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by minime2
    Sorry but i have 2 lvl 50's and i wont be going back horrible game .

Couldn't have been too bad, you leveled two characters...

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    No idea but tbh the game is not even worth playing even if it was free . And it wont be free they said they are limiting access unless you sub . Sorry but i have 2 lvl 50's and i wont be going back horrible game .

You manage to level 2 characters to 50 a call it a horrible game? I usually know if a game is going to suck after a day or two, but apparently you did like it during a certain period.

The game isn't that bad, but lacks that mmo feel for me unlike Star Wars Galaxies did back in the days.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Freemium option most likely coming in November, based on last LiveStream Q&A

From transcript:

We are introducing the FTP option and also a store call the Cartel Market. This came about because we got lots and lots of fans out there (Star Wars fans, Bioware fans) that would like to experience this game and one of the things we learned since launch in interviewing potential players or players who have come and gone that subscription can certainly be a barrier to entry in getting to SWTOR. With lots of FTP games out in the market these days, people see it as a more viable option in terms of the times they spent. This fall in November, we will be introducing a new option to allow players to enter the game and play the game.

Link

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=535164

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by JR4D

You manage to level 2 characters to 50 a call it a horrible game? I usually know if a game is going to suck after a day or two, but apparently you did like it during a certain period.

The game isn't that bad, but lacks that mmo feel for me unlike Star Wars Galaxies did back in the days.

Its the World of Warcraft mentallity.

The game doesn't start until endgame, the leveling experience is considered in the way.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by ompgaming

If you are coming back because it will be Freemium, you might be disappointed.

1 WZ per day

1 flashpoint per day

No operations, ever

No postings on GTN, can only buy

limited inventory (ala Runes of Magic)

limited / no bank access

Cannot send mail

No shouts / general

Limited races (Humans)

Limited level (max will be 51+).  Your limit is 50.

Limited travel, limited vehicles, slow speed if any

No instant travel

I'm sure I missed some, if I did, maybe someone will add them.  Other areas of limitations MIGHT include the maximum of credits you can currently hold, and the number of max quests behing held.  These are not set  (yet) to my knowledge.

As for the state of your characters, you might have to rename them, since EA kept the names of all players they consolidated, even players that haven't logged on in 9 months might have the same as yours.  The mega servers retain all the old character data to make them mega.  Mega because of all the people who unsubbed and servers have to retain 10 times the chracter data than those actually playing :P  Essentially, huge hard drives.  Worse case you'll have to rename your character(s).

So basically the mission/leveling experience from 1-50 is free. 

For a guy that hates dungeons and wants a rpg experience the 1-50 game is pretty good. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Freemium option most likely coming in November, based on last LiveStream Q&A

From transcript:

We are introducing the FTP option and also a store call the Cartel Market. This came about because we got lots and lots of fans out there (Star Wars fans, Bioware fans) that would like to experience this game and one of the things we learned since launch in interviewing potential players or players who have come and gone that subscription can certainly be a barrier to entry in getting to SWTOR. With lots of FTP games out in the market these days, people see it as a more viable option in terms of the times they spent. This fall in November, we will be introducing a new option to allow players to enter the game and play the game.

Link

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=535164

Since EA's next quarter ends Sept 30, 2012, with an earnings call 5 weeks later, sometime 1st week of November, it fits nicely.

EA won't need to report that this Fall they fell below 500k, but are well above 190k, for instance.  They can just quickly say that they have a huge interest in F2P, they have abandoned subscriptions and have had X thousands of new accounts made on their forums.  Then they move on to their next game during the call.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.