Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will enough people play this game and will it be good?

I really think they should go free to play with paying options. The paying options would include more player slots, ability to customize the colors/look of your gears and buying gold with real money.  I hope there will be at least on average 4000 players online 24/7 on a CST or EST timezone server.  I did not like the original game, it had a good concept but the gameplay looked to bland.  They are revamping the game engine for UW right? 

I hope it feels like a completly different game from DF1.

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Impeator101

I really think they should go free to play with paying options. The paying options would include more player slots, ability to customize the colors/look of your gears and buying gold with real money.  I hope there will be at least on average 4000 players online 24/7 on a CST or EST timezone server.  I did not like the original game, it had a good concept but the gameplay looked to bland.  They are revamping the game engine for UW right? 

Free to play would be aweful for DF:UW as has been discussed. Nothing the devs could sell without providing an advantage over other players.

There's a point to having a single character slot per account and it's to avoid people creating mass alts to place into every clan for spying and to make your name mean something in the world so you're careful with your actions. People tend to remember bad things you do for a long time.

Your gear is dropped and lootable everytime you die... no one is going to pay for different looking gear (well not enough people to keep AV going)

Buying gold with real money destroys the economy which DF:UW has a great potential to have. This is a game where people constantly crafting is needed.

As for number I'm pretty certain there will be a very healthy population on release, it's upto AV to keep them interested after that.

And yes there are many improvements to the engine and coding.

At the end of the day however it will probably have the same feel as Darkfall 1.0, so if you really didn't like the game all together you may well not like DF:UW eaither. I'm hoping DF:UW fixes the key issues many people had with the game whilst improving on DF1.0's strengths.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Rather silly question.  How can anyone possibly answer that when no ones even played it yet. 

And 4000 people isn't enough unless they drastically cut down on the world size.  And Tasos said that they mostly just removed a bunch of water; so I doubt that the world is going to be that much smaller then it already is. 

• killer128killer128 Member Posts: 21
    If enough people take a leap of faith and try the game I don't think population will be a problem.  On top of that, I've seen tons of players return to the darkfall forums just to discuss Darkfall Unholy Wars so I think that's a good sign.

Darkfall Unholy Wars

Originally posted by killer128
    If enough people take a leap of faith and try the game I don't think population will be a problem.  On top of that, I've seen tons of players return to the darkfall forums just to discuss Darkfall Unholy Wars so I think that's a good sign.

? 

But what does that have to do with asking if a game no one's played will have enough players and be good?  Maybe, Do you think, would have been a better start to the question? 

• DzikuniDzikuni Member UncommonPosts: 38
    U dont rly need a lot ppl for DFO, 2-4k is enough, and P2P is the best way to block 10-14y old kids from playing this game.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    If I can accomplish mini goals in my casual play time then I just may...
    Originally posted by Dzikuni
    U dont rly need a lot ppl for DFO, 2-4k is enough, and P2P is the best way to block 10-14y old kids from playing this game.

This is what I don't get.

First, when the game launched there were more then a thousand people just seiging on a saturday alone, not even counting the people not seiging, and people still complained the game world felt empty because of it's size.  If Tasos is telling the truth and most of what they cut from the landmass was just water, then how in the world is 2-4 people fine? 

Then, If that number of people are fine, and people who actually play and support the game have been telling AV for some time now that there aren't enough people playing, how in the would could anyone say the game is doing well?  If 2-4k people would be fine, I would have to assume that means there are fewer then that at any given time playing DF. 

And you guys do realize that even at 4k concurent users that would be an EXTAORDINARILLY low playerbase right?   EVE has upwards of 50k concurent players, with an average of around 30-35k at any given time, and that's with a subsciber base around 400k people.  

Or to put it another way.  An mmo will typically see around 10-20% of it's active playerbase online at any given time.  With only 4k concurrent players you're looking at a playerbase of 40-80k subscibers. 

I just can't imagine that AV is redeveloping their game so that they can only attract sub 100k subscribers.  I could see MO doing fine with that many people, even though SV said they needed like 100k, because it's just 18 guys, but AV has near 100 employees I thought.  That just doesn't seem like nearly enough.   

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Why should it go F2P? If it did there might be lots who would try it but DF is a brutal and harsh game - and there is no reason to assume that DF:UW will be any different. Lots might want to try it - doesn't sound like you tried DF - but many would complain; about lag, queues, the nature of the game etc. And when they left AV  would simply have a lot of dead servers. 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by killer128

Such as myself :D

I'm not sure if we'll see a big playerbase or not at launch though. I think a lot of players (those who've realize the carrot is a lie) will mostly wait and see before they decide to give DFUW a shot or not. The ex-players, and myself included, have been burned by AV too many times to just blindly jump in again. That, and since AV aren't doing any beta, this thing is going to be bugged as hell. However, the announcement has indeed brought back tons of ex-players, so launch should still be fairly populated.

I'll be taking the wait and see approach as well, at the risk of losing a bit of ground compared to players who jumped in at launch, I'd rather not get too excited only to jump in and be disappointed once more.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

by what you have typed you have no clue what DF is aobut.

This game is not for you,

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    No to both.
  • GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

I really start to wonder what the population will be like for launch? perhaps 3k+ who knows.

All I know is that it will be amazing PvP zerging lol

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

You would think that with all the people the whine about "hardcore open world pvp" that they would jump at this game. The only conclusion I get if they don't is that there is not that many in that category OR the one's the claim to be aren't that good and therefore try it but they rage quit.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    No F2P for DF please! Worst option from all and i am not ready to make all the time transaction with my credit card. You type one time your credit card number and it is  over. Stay with subscription DF!
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I just hope the character skins, animations, and sound effects are fixed. All of the above were a bad joke before, a thing that should have been corrected before the game even released in the first place. Its hard to take the Dev team seriously.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    It might turn out good.  I'm not an altaholic anyways - I loved EQ simply because if you wanted to be an altaholic then you would just have a bunch of low level characters.  It took a serious long term time investment to max a character.  And it felt good that way.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Dzikuni

This is what I don't get.

First, when the game launched there were more then a thousand people just seiging on a saturday alone, not even counting the people not seiging, and people still complained the game world felt empty because of it's size.  If Tasos is telling the truth and most of what they cut from the landmass was just water, then how in the world is 2-4 people fine? 

Then, If that number of people are fine, and people who actually play and support the game have been telling AV for some time now that there aren't enough people playing, how in the would could anyone say the game is doing well?  If 2-4k people would be fine, I would have to assume that means there are fewer then that at any given time playing DF. 

And you guys do realize that even at 4k concurent users that would be an EXTAORDINARILLY low playerbase right?   EVE has upwards of 50k concurent players, with an average of around 30-35k at any given time, and that's with a subsciber base around 400k people.  

Or to put it another way.  An mmo will typically see around 10-20% of it's active playerbase online at any given time.  With only 4k concurrent players you're looking at a playerbase of 40-80k subscibers. 

I just can't imagine that AV is redeveloping their game so that they can only attract sub 100k subscribers.  I could see MO doing fine with that many people, even though SV said they needed like 100k, because it's just 18 guys, but AV has near 100 employees I thought.  That just doesn't seem like nearly enough.   

Well you're not a CEO of video game company and you don't play df1 so your opinion isn't educated. If there were 4k concurrent users there would be never be a dull moment. Outside of sieges I doubt there are ever more than 50 players out looking for pvp these days and we still find fights. With 4000... man it'd be intense. You'd never get a moment of peace at any high end PVE and never any freebie village caps.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

We dont friggin need 1million players....all we need a good 2k+ in  healthy pop and omfg the pvp will be amazing!!!

Just hoping there will be a good grip 

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• Rorschach1797Rorschach1797 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

We dont friggin need 1million players....all we need a good 2k+ in  healthy pop and omfg the pvp will be amazing!!!

Just hoping there will be a good grip 

bullshit the server support 10k players at the same time....and im pretty sure DF:UW will get so many players on each server easily at the beginning

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    I hope so.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• OboyyOboyy Member Posts: 15

Lets hope for full servers.

Lets hope for marketing.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IDK nobody knows,we have to wait and try it.It was nice t osee the Greek man in the video,i get a real feel for what he is all about.

I think or i mean i get the feeling he truly wants to make a great game.Give this guy the money Blizzard has and he would make a top rated game.Remember that this guy if not for his government work,probably never gets into this industry at all,so he was working with VERY little money.Of course it helps to inherit or i mean bought cheap  an already 90% finished game but still,you need money to make things happen.

I don't think anyone would argue that DF did not make them rich.So that tells me this guy is reinvesting what little they have back into the game,kudos to them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrLichTwitchMrLichTwitch Member Posts: 13
    If Aventurine stays true to the original sandbox vision then there will be enough people and it won't just be good, it will be great. That original vision is why the game was so crowded in the beginning. People left when they realized that the original sandbox vision wasn't upheld by the devs, and the grind was too much, especially considering the exploiters who gained an unfair advantage and were never rolled back once the exploits were fixed, making it nearly impossible for honest players to catch up. 
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I really think they should go free to play with paying options. The paying options would include more player slots, ability to customize the colors/look of your gears and buying gold with real money.

These things just do NOT work in Darkfall, hence why most don't want FTP. It would entirely break the game.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Oboyy

Lets hope for full servers.

Lets hope for marketing.

Everybody should help spread the word.