Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Any one else miss big skills?

DarkHighDarkHigh Texico, TXPosts: 80Member Uncommon

MMO's have always kept me leveling through the promise of big new EPIC skills and animations. I feel guild wars 2 lacks in that I get all my skills early and none of them  have these huge animations that when you see them used in teh world you can do nothing but watch in awe. take RYL for instance the sorc skills in that game where absolutely jaw dropping. I just wish i could get some big skill animations like that in GW2.

Great game though still enjoying it.

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    Yeah, was thinking the same thing.  I wish they made it so that as you level up, you get flashier upgrades of the same skills.  Something like that, maybe.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    Originally posted by darkhigh

MMO's have always kept me leveling through the promise of big new EPIC skills and animations. I feel guild wars 2 lacks in that I get all my skills early and none of them  have these huge animations that when you see them used in teh world you can do nothing but watch in awe. take RYL for instance the sorc skills in that game where absolutely jaw dropping. I just wish i could get some big skill animations like that in GW2.

If you somehow dont think the animations in GW2 is epic then I dont know what to tell you.  Try playing a Thief, Ranger or Warrior.  Either Asuran or Human.  The Human Ranger sword skills, the Norn thiefs dagger skills and the Human Warrior Axe or hammer animations are jaw droppingly beautiful.  Animations are quite literally the best for any MMO since the genre was created.  It sounds like your speaking of RYL (which correct me if I am wrong is Risk Your Life) makes you savvy to Asian style animations which are more Street Fighter'ish and not rpg'ish for my tastes.

As for skills, yea theis is one of the low points about the game for me.  I love the concept of being able to aquire skills and abilities throughout the progression path of my character and being able to get all your weapon skills by level 6 is definetly not how I would of developed GW2.  I also am not a huge fan of the utilities and elite skills, I think the game would of been much better off with using class skills in the place of the utilities with low to mod cooldown effects to coincide with adding more useable skills to go along with the weapon specific ones. *TESO is going this route*

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DarkHighDarkHigh Texico, TXPosts: 80Member Uncommon
    Yes I was talking about risk your life. I am new to non-asian style MMO's so not seeing "bigger than your screen" skills feels like a let down. I still love the game and WvW i get a taste of  OMG LOOK AT ALL OF IT.
  • DibdabsDibdabs FelvershamPosts: 2,604Member Uncommon
    Thank god we don't have those crappy "big as your screen" animations - they look like a cheap arcade game mated with an outdated pinball machine.  I dumped C9 and other "Asian" games like a hot rock because of that.  It's like they have to cater to the lowest common denominator of player, who always want to feel MEGAaaaaaaaa.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,267Member Uncommon

The spell effects are one of the best things GW2 has going for it, but yeah, there needs to be more past level 40. 

• SenanSenan Tuscaloosa, ALPosts: 783Member Uncommon

I'm not a fan of huge, over-the-top animations either (in fact, even some of the skills in GW2 are a bit too flashy for my taste), but I will agree that there should be more skill options available for weapons. That's one thing I really enjoyed about TSW; each weapon has quite a variety of weapon skills for each of them, and although you could argue that some of them aren't "worth using" as much as the next, it was nice to have some variety. 

With the way GW2 is set up, there are certain weapons that I might want to use based on an "image/theme" I have for my character, but I end up deciding to use something else because I don't enjoy or get much use out of the 3 or 5 skills attached to it. For example, I would have much rather used a two-handed hammer with my Asura Guardian because of the look and feel, but when I compare the skills to the great sword, it's not nearly as fun (for me at least).

In other words, I'd just like to see alternate skills made for each weapon type in the game that can be swapped as the player sees fit. I can also see that as being added incentive for progressing your character, assuming they would be unlocked through the levels.

• TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

If you somehow dont think the animations in GW2 is epic then I dont know what to tell you.  Try playing a Thief, Ranger or Warrior.  Either Asuran or Human.  The Human Ranger sword skills, the Norn thiefs dagger skills and the Human Warrior Axe or hammer animations are jaw droppingly beautiful.  Animations are quite literally the best for any MMO since the genre was created.  It sounds like your speaking of RYL (which correct me if I am wrong is Risk Your Life) makes you savvy to Asian style animations which are more Street Fighter'ish and not rpg'ish for my tastes.

As for skills, yea theis is one of the low points about the game for me.  I love the concept of being able to aquire skills and abilities throughout the progression path of my character and being able to get all your weapon skills by level 6 is definetly not how I would of developed GW2.  I also am not a huge fan of the utilities and elite skills, I think the game would of been much better off with using class skills in the place of the utilities with low to mod cooldown effects to coincide with adding more useable skills to go along with the weapon specific ones. *TESO is going this route*

Have to say I agree with this. I think it is the main reason the game, at least PVE wise, stops being fun for me around 30th.

The problem is see with what you are suggesting though, is isn't that what most of the other games have already done. Wasn't this game supposed to take a different route? Wasn't that the whole point?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon

Whats RYL? And can you link a YouTube vid?

I have a feeling you want a more anime-style, which I can personally pass on.

Me,I have a hard enough time as it is watching my ranger use a one-handed sword. Just a little to "over the top" for my tastes. But to me GW2 leans more towards the realism side that it does the cartoon/anime side.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• NitreNitre berlinPosts: 37Member

GW2 has epic animations and skills? sorry bro but  you need to expirience some mmos with real great animation and epic scale spells n skills. and i dont mean WoW tho they have tons of epic spells n skills. also i remember dragon nest has som crazy huge spells like that HUGE cross the paladin can cast everywhere..i never played teh game past closed beta but it was huge.

aion had some sweet animations way ay before GW2

• asdarasdar Tequesta, FLPosts: 662Member Uncommon

I feel just the opposite from the OP.

I hate big animations. What I see when every fifth move is a 25 ft sword animation is a distraction. It's flash and smoke to me, I just want good game play.

That's why the world is a great place, everyone likes something different.

Asdar