Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 & TSW Metacritic user scores.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

GW2 8.2 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

edit  - GW2 is now 8.3.

edit - GW2 is now 8.2

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    And your point is?
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

The games afoot!!... Waits for the usual flame wars as hysterical fan kiddies and Haters pile on. 

GW2 is an entertaining game at this point. Since I wasn't looking for the One True Game(tm), I can't say I'm disappointed in it.  The combat system isn't as dynamic as Tera's, but its enjoyable.  The graphics are really nice.  I've enjoyed the story line sequence so far.  The events are fun (at least the first few times). 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Oh wow, that user score for Diablo has seen quite a lot of trolling...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well both scores look silly when you take into account the ridiculously high scores given to swtor and d3

If you just pve, tsw probably is that close to gw2.

Thing is gw2 offers you more choices, tournaments, WvW as a guild, de chains and bosses as a guild, crafting meaningful gear etc..

Tsw has better lore And dungeons though

I agree with you on gw2 having a more robust pvp system and TSW having better story/lore delivery and dungeons. As far as DE chains, TSW has lairs. Open world spots with super tough mobs desinged for 5 people along with world bosses.

I feel the crafting is more meaningful in TSW aswell, due to the fact it allows you craft exactly what you need to match any build combination out of the 525 abilities i.g. A mage tank that uses self healing instead of mitigation. 

It's really interesting to look at these scores. One game sells 2 million the other 200k. TSW spent the vast majority of thier budget on PvE content. GW2 spent a lot of there budget on PvP. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can't craft the latest 10.x pve set, so crafting is meaningless in tsw (as it is in wow etc..)
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Scores have little to do with mass appeal. For example, Planescape: Torment has a 9.5 user score and Psychonauts has 9.2, but both games underperformed financially. More popular games also attract a wider audience, which may not like the game as much as its core audience would, lowering its score.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You can't craft the latest 10.x pve set, so crafting is meaningless in tsw (as it is in wow etc..)

Remeber you don't craft gear in TSW. Only weapons and talismans. In both cases you can upgrade your crafted items with upgrade kits, and yes you can upgrade your stuff to 10.4.  You craft the best gear in game in TSW.  

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i actually believe that fantasy rules all in mmo's.

if there was a fantasy version of swg, we would all still be playing the original version of it.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Kost
    And your point is?

That Funcom didn't do a good enough job marketing the game...?  That's what I got from that.  I might be wrong - since he didn't state one - who knows, eh?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Originally posted by Kost
    And your point is?

That Funcom didn't do a good enough job marketing the game...?  That's what I got from that.  I might be wrong - since he didn't state one - who knows, eh?

There are a number of things that can be talked about here :) Yes that's one of them. Maybe there is more demand now a days for a game with a heavy pvp influence. Another post said "Fantasy rules." I didn't want to guide the conversation. I just thought the scores were very interesting.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by bcbully

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

GW2: 90 / 100

TSW: 75 / 100

When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

Originally posted by dariuszp

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

That's one way of looking at it forsure. I don't know if I agree with the orange, although it could be true and a good way to gauge a game.

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37
    great ratings never managed to save a game from failure after release..and we seeing both games failing right now (especially gw2)
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    This only proves that the fanboy to hater ratio is higher in gw2 compared to tsw.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Take a look at the more important, critic score. That has a much bigger impact on the success of the game. Evidenced by the fact that TSW has failed miserably, caused significant layoffs within Funcom, delayed content updates, resignation of one of the biggest names at the company, and a possible new direction for the company as a whole. Meanwhile, GW2 has had record breaking sales and continues to be one of the top sellers on every gaming website. Did I mention that ArenaNet is still hiring after the launch of their game? I know that the raid content for TSW did not come in the 2nd update and is probably not going to be out for longer still.. This crusade against GW2 has proven nothing but your ignorance of the gaming industry.

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

A) When game is highly recomended by people and crytics, you know you have something good in your hands (GW2, EVE, DAOC, EQ etc...)

B) If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)

C) When game is highly recomended by crytics but not people, you know that it's a poor game made by someone well known (TOR)

D) When game is not recomended by both crytics and people, you know to stay away (others).

Questions ?

No questions... just a point.  While obviously it is just your opinion, it is not a very logical one.  You ignore your own "facts" while separating the various groups.

Your A ignores the influence of B and C.  So the fanbois from B have no influence on A?  So the well known critics from C have no influence on A?

Your B ignores the opposite of C, as in it could be a well made game by somebody not well known.

Your C ignores that the game may simply not be well known.

Your D again ignores C.

Like I said, it's not very logical in the least... but hey, people are free to offer their opinions.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

They're both excellent games, each in their own right.  I'm glad they are receiving the praise they should.

But the score is slightly lower than Creslin predicted....! <incoming>

Originally posted by Celcius
    Take a look at the more important, critic score. That has a much bigger impact on the success of the game. Evidenced by the fact that TSW has failed miserably, caused significant layoffs within Funcom, delayed content updates, resignation of one of the biggest names at the company, and a possible new direction for the company as a whole. Meanwhile, GW2 has had record breaking sales and continues to be one of the top sellers on every gaming website. Did I mention that ArenaNet is still hiring after the launch of their game? I know that the raid content for TSW did not come in the 2nd update and is probably not going to be out for longer still.. This crusade against GW2 has proven nothing but your ignorance of the gaming industry.

Did you actually bother to read some of those critic reviews?  They're kind of funny with how blatantly biased some of them are...

...they're not objective reviews.  They're I hate this feature in games, why do games keep doing this?

It's kind of a trip...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    If TSW were B2P I would have bought it and rated it very high (based on my beta impressions). If GW2 was sub based, I would have canceled already and rated it low.
  • IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

So ? 

TERA: 77/100

TSW: 73 / 100

If game is highly recomended only by people, you know that it's just poor game filled with fanboys (TSW)(Tera)

Questions ?

I completely agree with your statements and added some corrections I think fit nicely. :P   but thats confusing because a lot of critics gave TERA horrible reviews, and I see so many people saying its combat is great... yet Metrica says people are not recommending it and the critics are... Go figure either way its numbers are higher then TSW by critics yet the people give it a lower score.    One has bad questing / same old end game and choppy combat, the other bad character animations but the rest of the game is amazing.  Guild Wars 2 total package for what it is and everyone is for the most part recommending it with good reviews.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Psychow
    If TSW were B2P I would have bought it and rated it very high (based on my beta impressions). If GW2 was sub based, I would have canceled already and rated it low.

This x1000

Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by Psychow

This x1000

And some folks feel the other way - basically that any B2P game, F2P game, etc.... are automatically rated low.  They will not even look at them.

Which everybody knows - because the whole thing is very subjective.  Payment model, combat, PvP, etc, etc, etc.

And that should be evident in the user reviews... but the critic reviews should be more objective.

Critic reviews are little more than user reviews these days.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

GW2 8.4 1330 reviewsTSW 8.3 955 reviewshttp://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world  

I thought people were over bundling these 2 games...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Nitth

GW2 8.4 1330 reviews

TSW 8.3 955 reviews

I thought people were over bundling these 2 games...

they have to.they cant compare it to WoW anymore in this case since its 8y old and has simply worse user rating (i put my hand into fire if there arent any ppl who havent played it and just wrote a review) but better critic rating.

tsw is incompareable thi..its a great niche game..where gw2 is mainstream themepark.