Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - The coolest thing ever in this game so far IMHO

2»

Comments

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by tort0429
    Originally posted by Magter
    If that does not destroy the little immersion left in this game I dont know what will...

This game was never serious. It was always trying to be a themepark MMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they add baby unicorns as followers.

What are you people talking about???  Destroy immersion.  This adds to immersion.  Haven't you people ever been drunk?  You know how many times I've pulled out boxing gloves when I've been hammered.   lol   And you do know you character can drink in GW2.    

It's awesome for immersion.  It's awesome for fun.   And you people need to lighten up.   Life can be fun you know.

Sheesh.

What has you getting wasted got to do with immersion in a fantasy world? Do you even know what immersion mean?

Sigh...it was a joke.   Been playing MMO's since eq, I know what immersion is, no need to insult.  

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by tort0429
    Originally posted by Magter
    If that does not destroy the little immersion left in this game I dont know what will...

This game was never serious. It was always trying to be a themepark MMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they add baby unicorns as followers.

What are you people talking about???  Destroy immersion.  This adds to immersion.  Haven't you people ever been drunk?  You know how many times I've pulled out boxing gloves when I've been hammered.   lol   And you do know you character can drink in GW2.    

It's awesome for immersion.  It's awesome for fun.   And you people need to lighten up.   Life can be fun you know.

Sheesh.

What has you getting wasted got to do with immersion in a fantasy world? Do you even know what immersion mean?

How does wearing boxing gloves break immersion in a FANTASY WORLD?

Do you even know what Fantasy means?

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

People are SelfEntitled to their immersionz and lack ofhumorz..

..aparently

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Kost

How does wearing boxing gloves break immersion in a FANTASY WORLD?

Do you even know what Fantasy means?

You clearly don't. Just because somehting is labelled "Fantasy" doesn't mean you can insert anything you want into it and it fits...

Even a fantasy settting has lore and continuity to it; adding real-life objects most certainly breaks immersion.

I personally don't care about immersion, I play games to have fun, but it is easy to see why someone could be bothered by the gloves.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I know,i thought the same thing lol,it's like the sunglasses they sell.But with my little miss pony bow and these gloves plus a pair of sunglasses it ust get more pathetic imo.

I have a dragon character in TSW who wears long leather coat and sunglasses,he looks cool as fuck because it fits but this is just dumb.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm sorry to hear you're so easily shaken.  Fortunately for me I'm not that fragile.  I'm having a great time with immersion in the game.  The Guild Wars universe isn't a medieval mirror.  It's a technologically advanced universe that combines high fantasy and science fiction.

I love the art, music, and ambience just like I did with the original.  My gripes with the game have nothing to do with the immersion.

Right, so you would not mind that if in the Bilbo upcoming movie, Gandalf put some Hip Hop clothes on and start to sing rap music?

Immersion matters in some media, like movies, dont understand why it would not in fantasy games.

Try putting my reply to you in Google translator for your original language because it's like you can't read English.  This isn't Middle-Earth or a medieval "mount and blade" simulation. There is a lot more technology than boxing gloves. It's sci-fi and high fantasy.   Do you get that or do you just like to make things up?

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I know,i thought the same thing lol,it's like the sunglasses they sell.But with my little miss pony bow and these gloves plus a pair of sunglasses it ust get more pathetic imo.

I have a dragon character in TSW who wears long leather coat and sunglasses,he looks cool as fuck because it fits but this is just dumb.

What part of sci-fi and high fantasy don't you two get?  Does it look stupid in TSW when "real world" people use magic while wearing their sunglasses (of course it does)?  On top of the tripple gouge for the price TSW kind of looks stupid in a real world setting that has people using magic while carrying a shotgun around the streets of a major city.  Talk about an immersion breaker.  It's just dumb.

Glad you agree with me that the gloves are dumb.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Looks kind of lame...

Shouldnt the developers be working on the endgame they will be selling you guys for $60?

But i guess silly costumes and animations in the cash shop is what will make them money in the meantime..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Really neat idea, with the "booms" and "wacks," I saw a person standing by the mist portal about two weeks ago.

Does it really belong in a high fantasy mmo? Another hard immersion break. It's the little things that start add up, like speaking to the spvp queue guy, and he gives you a sever list. What not call them battles? 

When ever any attachment to gw2's high fantasy world starts to accrue, you're hit with one of these. With out attachment which comes through immersion, longevity will suffer.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by redman875

Looks kind of lame...

Shouldnt the developers be working on the endgame they will be selling you guys for $60?

But i guess silly costumes and animations in the cash shop is what will make them money in the meantime..

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I just bought the gloves and aviators.  I look cool. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I just bought the gloves and aviators.  I look cool. 

I'm sure you do :)

I'm kinda tempted by the Inventor Sunglasses.

Some people forget this is not a 100% medieval fantasy world like e.g. Lord of the Rings. You have strong steampunk and even cyberpunk elements into it (the way the asura interface with their golems is kinda Matrix-like or Avatar-like).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Ah, but i don't dislike the whole game,check my posting history.I've probably played the game more than you have,i was in full beta and played the game three years running at GamesCom.There are many things i dislike and some i like,one of my main dislike which is not the games fault is over the top fans,your not one of those are you?

[mod edit]

Dude he payed his money, and plays the game as much if not more than you. As have I.  You have a problem with the problems we see, but that doesn't make it ok to attack people.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by bcbully

Ah, but i don't dislike the whole game,check my posting history.I've probably played the game more than you have,i was in full beta and played the game three years running at GamesCom.There are many things i dislike and some i like,one of my main dislike which is not the games fault is over the top fans,your not one of those are you?

[mod edit]

Dude he payed his money, and plays the game as much if not more than you. As have I.  You have a problem with the problems we see, but that doesn't make it ok to attack people.

He didn't "attack" anyone, stop being so dramatic.

- He pointed out that he is aware of the other users posting history.

- He mentioned that the amount of time played is irrelevant, which it is.

- He concluded his statement with a personal observation/opinion.

There was no "attack", and trying to make it appear as though there was, just because you disagree with the poster, is extremely bad form.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I don't like things like this in my fantasy mmo's either. But I don't care that GW2 has it since its not my type of game. I don't even like guns in my games. I do wish well for Arenanet and GW2 though. I'm glad you guys found a game you like.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

I'm sorry to hear you're so easily shaken.  Fortunately for me I'm not that fragile.  I'm having a great time with immersion in the game.  The Guild Wars universe isn't a medieval mirror.  It's a technologically advanced universe that combines high fantasy and science fiction.

I love the art, music, and ambience just like I did with the original.  My gripes with the game have nothing to do with the immersion.

Right, so you would not mind that if in the Bilbo upcoming movie, Gandalf put some Hip Hop clothes on and start to sing rap music?

Immersion matters in some media, like movies, dont understand why it would not in fantasy games.

Reminds me of this comic - http://memebaseafterdark.com/2011/02/23/naughty-memes-the-wonderful-wizard-of-gandalf/

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

I think people are mostly upset because it offends their pretty rigid definition of a fantasy world.  The Tyria of GW1 was most definitely a medieval fantasy world.  However, like our own world, it grew and progressed beyond that point in GW2.  Boxing gloves make perfect sense in the Tyria of GW2.  Look at GW1 in which there was a whole Dwarven Boxing game and even missions and quests (ex. Canthan Curior Crisis) involving the use of said boxing skills while utilizing weapons like brass knuckles.  So the boxing gloves themselves fit the world. 

And as for the comic bookish pows and such, have you never seen people and devs "let their hair down" and just have a little fun?  In the guild wars universe there are tonics that turn you into other creatures.  Heck, in GW1 you can turn yourself into a man/woman made of candy corn.  Look at our own world, what kind of silly stuff do we do?  Why would silly stuff be off limits and taboo in a make believe fantasy/steampucky world?  It would be more jarring if a world was missing such things. 

Also, why can't those images and sounds be explained in in-world terms so that they are plausible within that game universe.  What if they were built imbused with mesmer magics?  Within the GW universe were have tons and tons of people that are able to create illusions and their assosiated sounds (or at least cause people to presieve such things, even over large scales and distances ex. Queen Jennah's Kralkatorrik illusion from Edge of Destiny) through manipulation of the mind. 

Here we have a perfectly plausible in universe explaination for said boxing gloves.  Was this explaination even considered by the devs when adding the gloves?  No.  They probably never even considered it an issue to be thought out because it was intended as some harmless fun.  They only break your immersion if you allow them to.  I have shown that these aspects of the boxing gloves can have prefectly acceptable explainations from within the in game universe. If they still cause issues for you then...

I look forward to your similar contributions to the future Mad King's Day in game holiday event thread.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I've seen this argument before. AO has a huge selection of costume and gag social items. Most it's players embraced it over the years but Some never liked it. Never bothered me. I had fun with it from time to time.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by wesjr

Reminds me of this comic - http://memebaseafterdark.com/2011/02/23/naughty-memes-the-wonderful-wizard-of-gandalf/

Honestly yamota, I'm going to give the same response most others give. That's the Straw Man. I don't get how you can correlate a movie to a game, or expect either to be remotely the same.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

My character looked so good, had to post some pics:  http://imgur.com/a/jlrOw/all#0

Bam to all the haters:

• Man somtimes I wonder how some people in this thread are able to sit down when their aholes are puckered so tight that they threaten to create a singularity and suck the earth into a blackhole and kill us all.

Its a game, it has fun things in it.  Don't be douchy about it.

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

This is a perfect example of how cash shops pollute the overall quality of any game.

Developer resources go into creating and maintaining this kind of pixel dress up doll crap instead of adding missing social functions like team finders or simply fixing bugs.

As PT Barnum once said there is sucker born every minute.  Enjoy your cash shopped YUCKs.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by ennymith

This is a perfect example of how cash shops pollute the overall quality of any game.

Developer resources go into creating and maintaining this kind of pixel dress up doll crap instead of adding missing social functions like team finders or simply fixing bugs.

As PT Barnum once said there is sucker born every minute.  Enjoy your cash shopped YUCKs.

Oh look. Another person completely unaware of the fact that artists and modelers don't fix bugs or make content.

Just for future reference: artists make art; they make models and things in game for people to look at and enjoy. They do not have anything to do with bugs, glitches, missing or broken content. It takes a tiny amount of "developer resources" to create these small things which most will enjoy.

Most of us will enjoy our cash shop, as well as having 15$ more in our pocket every month. Go be snooty and curmudgeny somewhere else.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by khamul787
    Originally posted by ennymith

Oh look. Another person completely unaware of the fact that artists and modelers don't fix bugs or make content.

Just for future reference: artists make art; they make models and things in game for people to look at and enjoy. They do not have anything to do with bugs, glitches, missing or broken content. It takes a tiny amount of "developer resources" to create these small things which most will enjoy.

Most of us will enjoy our cash shop, as well as having 15$ more in our pocket every month. Go be snooty and curmudgeny somewhere else.

Look at his quote...

The guy has an axe to grind.  Most of the gw2 negativity on here is from people who don't have the game they want so they have to belittle everyone.

He's just a sad person at the end of the day.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'm a Nord! We don't need no stinkin' gloves! How can you hurt the other guy if you have all that padding on your fists? The sunglasses, however... maybe good for covering up that shiner...

Personally, the steampunk theme put the brakes on my personal immersion in the game. That's just me, though. I still am having fun and enjoying the game. My thief has even embraced the use of duel pistols. But my immersion is close to zero for the game. There is too much *me* in my characters, especially combat-wise. lol No, GW2 is not a world I lose myself in...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR