Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing wow today , good job Blizz

2»

Comments

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

Hey good job Blizzard, bad job daddy !!

age rating is 12+, in principle your son should be able to play World of warcraft in 4 or  5 years.

Good message here friend, i will tell my 9 years old son that your son of 7 play WoW.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Man, these father/son stories are WAY more touching when there based in real life doing real things...GET HIM OUTSIDE!
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I remember my dad teaching me to fish and hunt. Passed on a shotgun that has been handed down for generations to first-born sons, all the way back to Europe.

I'm an engineer, so I don't need to use it to put food on my table. But, when I look at it and hold it in my hands, I can't help but think about the farmers, leather-workers, and soldiers that held it before me.

I can't wait to pass it along to my son one day.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by NorseGod

I remember my dad teaching me to fish and hunt. Passed on a shotgun that has been handed down for generations to first-born sons, all the way back to Europe.

I'm an engineer, so I don't need to use it to put food on my table. But, when I look at it and hold it in my hands, I can't help but think about the farmers, leather-workers, and soldiers that held it before me.

I can't wait to pass it along to my son one day.

^ much better story

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Aori

And a good parent doesn't judge.

Yes they do, albeit a bit more passively, bit less aggressively.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Whats wrong with letting your kids play wow, Other then general chat wich has a filter the game isn't exactly dirty, I let my nephews play all the tim,e they started when i did some of them My 15 yr old nephew has been playing since he was 9, hes good at wow also

My 14 yr old since he was 8 and my 12 yr old nephew since he was 8, My 8 yr old nephew has been flying around dong nothing but killing rabbits for a yr, Im teaching him to quest now, And loot, He plays tor also.

I dont see this issue, yea kids should go out play baseball, basketball, be active There is nothing wrong with letting kids play games as long as u have them do stuff outdoors also. 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

For me it is my sister's children because I have none and she has many.  I have a zillion sentimental moments, pics, vids, etc. But our game of choice was Mabinogi not WoW.  Still, I get where you're coming from OP.  Tho I think Family Gaming might have been a better title.  Then let peeps decide if WoW in particular is family friendly.  Think it's any game you and yours can get along in well.

Nice story tho.  I'd tell one but people just yawn and that makes me sad because the moment meant so much to me.

I know when I was little and tried games the first thing I did even then was seek out system settings to turn filters off and tweak game controls/graphics.

Pretty certain I've games the entirety of my life, my brother got a head start on gaming playing Conan on one of those old CPs where you had to swap out the large floppies on while playing the game.

Also had a pretty well tempered variety to our lives though. We'd play some console or PC games as a family. We roam around outside for walks and sports. Our mom was adamant we all took some kind of martial art and weapon training. A large part of this was making sure there was balance in experiences and socialization.

So it may be a bias, but I don't particularly think there should be an age limit on when one starts playing games or otherwise, but it does need to be considered the type of game, the way in which others interact in the game, and the level of educational value and challenge the game provides the user. This will all affect a person, and especially a child.

That and in gaming you need variety too. Grow up using one game as a lynchpin and you are going to have a helluva time migrating to other titles that play differently. WoW is how old now and how many 'similar but not quite' situations are there out there of people spending eight years on WoW, EQ, UO, EVE, DAoC, or even AC. Sure, good games in their own respects, but if the player in question starts the game young and doesn't migrate much to play other games more than a wee bit over the years, they are a great cause for woes we feel as a community. A class of gamer that's familiar with a finite scope and as a result aggressive to gameplay and elements outside that scope.

It's something that happens elsewhere in life too. Very notably in education. When a child is raised playing to their strengths and task isn't given to shoring up shortcomings in their knowledge and skills, you get severely specialized and imbalanced results. What this seems to affect most is common sense and abstract reasoning. The less you are familiar with in a broad spectrum the less you can make correlations to when seeking an answer or understanding to an issue. You will recite the things you know, and won't have the frame of mind necessary to know, or even understand that you don't know, alternative options and reasoning.

So yeah, can't assume he lets his kid just play the game 'all the time'. Does however sound like the kid hasn't had much scope to his life. If for no reasoning other than a lack of description otherwise and a bizarre focus on experiences one could have elsewhere, but in a single title.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by snoocky

@ OP... Why do you let your son who is 7 play WoW???

Let him play in the real world and socialize!!

Playing WoW and socializing in the real world are not, as many people seem to think, mutually exclusive.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by ace80k
    A rogue 1 shotted a paladin? Sounds balanced.

lol,  I am not sure how new you are to MMOs so I will cut you some slack...    

In a level based MMO that encourages you to grind levels and gear the PvP is only balanced when both people are the smae level and have the same gear.   Give the age of WOW and the number of Tiers of Gear they provided for grinding the power differnence between even just 5 levels or so it overwhellming.

The real point of the comment you made is....  why would somene knowing the game and rules chose to play on a PvP server and complain when they are easily killed by higher level over geared people.   I have to admit for all WoW childishness it didn't try to implement some lame level based PvP engagment system.  

You don't openly judge people, it is rude and in alteast the society i'm familiar with frowned on. Even though it is common place behind closed doors.

Gotta atleast ascertain first.. I mean shit no one knows the situation of the father/son.

Maybe the son is crippled, maybe the father is crippled, maybe the weather wasn't favorable. Atleast in todays society he is spending time with his son, that already is a step up from the majority of fathers in our current society.

Everyone openly judges people whether they notice they are doing it or not. When you act polite, blunt, rude, or otherwise you are not only acting on internal principles of morals or etiquette. Though that is a major factor, you are are also acting on what your perception of that person's behavior is to be.

I know full well you have judged me already based on things I have written previously and how you are currently electing to read my posts now. It's a core aspect of how we think. In a sense there is always a minor degree of projection we do upon other people in order to place what they say into our own frame of reference as best we can.

Which I guess is a tie-in to my previous post. The larger a frame of reference someone gets, the more easily they can take in the understanding and point of view of others.

What you speak of is benefit of the doubt. You most definitely already have your own opinion of the father and his sone in the OP. What you are providing yourself and now others is the consideration that what we have is far from the full scope of the situation. Which is a very good thing to consider. However, that is a pacification of judgement, not a lack there of.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by drakes821
    Man, these father/son stories are WAY more touching when there based in real life doing real things...GET HIM OUTSIDE!

lol, maybe I missed the part of the story where the father descibes how he keeps his son locked in the house, chained to his computer.  

lol,  maybe he is trying to keep his Son away from folks like you that want  "WAY more touching"..  :P

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Im taking my son flying or boat riding IRL, dont want his experiences to be being a computer. Your story was a good read not trying to disrespect here but abit confused. Just the thought of being ganked by a 7 years old with 1 shot makes me want to unistall.

Your story got nothing to do with blizzard. You kinda can have that bond in any game...

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Originally posted by rutaq
    Originally posted by drakes821

lol, maybe I missed the part of the story where the father descibes how he keeps his son locked in the house, chained to his computer.  

lol,  maybe he is trying to keep his Son away from folks like you that want  "WAY more touching"..  :P

"want WAY more touching"...when did I ever infer that and why would you try to turn my somewhat light hearted post into a sick pedophiliac one? What it wrong with you?

Anyhow of course none of us know the situation of the OP, in gereral though I just find it's best to keep kids away from video games until they're ready. Video games, MMO's in particular, are extremely addicting to kids who are extremely impressionable at early ages. 

But just my 2 cents, people are free to raise their children as they please.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

So what he's saying is that he added to the entitlement generation by giving his son a pre-leveled character with a super fast flying mount?

/two thumbs up

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Are that inesecure about the game that you need to make up feel good stories in the hopes of getting more people to play?

I mean we go 1 maybe 2 years without much WoW fanfare and always right before an expansion we get these same silly stories.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by ace80k
    A rogue 1 shotted a paladin? Sounds balanced.

I believe the Paladin was very low level. Father is apparently teaching his kid to gank noobs.

Goonies have to come from some place... ^^ 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was playing wow today with my son, we were in burning stepps.

I had just bought him 310% flying and that gave him faster flying speed than any of my toons.

So Im letting him fly me around on his Obsidian Nightwing I got him and as we were flying we saw so many people, horde and alliance.

So he dropped us down as we saw a horde pally , he said dad let me take care of him. He was on his 85 rogue and 1 shotted him.

My son is 7 and at that moment I started thinking. I told him "Do you know when I created the rogue your playing?" He of course said no, I told him when he was born I was leveling your rogue back in vanilla, when you were born your rogue was only level 34.

Now the rogue was his , it was his main toon.

As my 7 yearold son flew me around the burning steps on his mount I told him how back in the day these people you now see in the world was normal and there were people all over the place. He didnt believe me and I realized at his age hes never seen world of warcraft as populated like its been since the crz.

Now my son is smart , hes 7 years old , when he was in the first grade last year he was doing math at a 5th grade level.

Back in Wrath of the lich king I was in the middle of a heroic dungeon "The Nexus" I was healing , I had to take a shit and told the people in the dungeon Ill be right back in 10 minutes have to use the bathroom.

15 minutes later I came out of the bathroom , my son was in Dalaran , he looked at me and said "We finished" I said what do you mean? He said "I finished the raid for you, I healed it" I was stunned that a 3 and a half yearold kid could heal a dungeon.

Now hes almost 8 , weve tried Tera  and SWTOR but it always comes back to WOW.

I now realize with my son now playing that in the future he will be much better than me in gaming and wow now holds a big part of our past in it.

My son is 7 and hes rolling his monk on tuesday. He has learned all the emotes , he knows what item level means, he understands how to spec his toon and knows his rotations.

I dont understand the hate for crz , it baffles me how people do not want to be surrounded by people in a mmorpg , if you dont like to have other players kill your quest objectives then please play a single player game and if you dont like being ganked , especially on the magtheridon server then please play on a pve server because there will be a little 7 year old rogue coming after you low levels and his dad has his back.

So many words when the highlighted was all you needed. CRZ is fine it's just the people on PvE servers that got put in PvP CRZ that are not happy.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This is literally the greatest thread I've ever come across, a 3 and a half year old healing people, absolutely amazing. Best of luck throughout the rest of you and your sons journey in WoW!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Not sure judging is the right term, though essentially I agree with what you're saying.  Also i've not really judged you atleast with the intention to do so. Yes i've deemed you more neutral at this point in time and you can call that a judgement if you want but it isn't what i'm getting at.

The poster I responded to was being rude and yes i immediately judged him as someone I don't care for. That poster made a public judgement and that is something I was against.

If the same OP told his story in the real life, sure he may get some looks but no one in their right mind is going to walk up and say you're an idiot and a bad parent. 

There is good judgement and bad judgement, one requires thought and the other doesn't. So unless we have all the facts any judgement is potentionally bad.

Ah yeah true, that I have no argument with. :p

I do openly show my disdain for things I find illogical and have a habit of ranting if something doesn't make sense, but I understand the need to respect others in the case of unwarranted opinions at times.

Calling someone a bad parent without having greater measure of daily and normal activity is a rather bad idea. So yeah, I agree with ye.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by snoocky

@ OP... Why do you let your son who is 7 play WoW???

Let him play in the real world and socialize!!

Well I dont really owe a explination but I dont understand why my its assumed my son stays in the house all day just because he plays wow.

I coach his baseball team in the summer.

My son is a blue belt in karate.

I take him to swimming lessons every Saturday.

I take in 3 dozen dougnuts or bagels to his class every friday morning for school just because no other parents do that.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nice story, maybe next generation will turn out fine after all. :)

But I think the problem many people have with Wow is that there is more or less impossible to create a game that is perfect for all ages and prefered difficulties. Wow hav slowly changed their focus so many old players feel like the game have moved beyond them, it is not really something strange.

As with any game, play it if you enjoy it, if you dont, stop wasting your time and find something you do like instead. Some people have hard to let it go but if it isnt fun it is due, we all grow and changes and some stuff that was fun yesterday isnt fun anymore, there is really nothing wrong with that.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

That's a nice story.