Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Review in Progress Part 4 - WvW

13»

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I agree with most of the assessment of WvW in this review, although I haven't played enough to fully develop my own opinion yet. 

Concerning rewards, I think most people don't even notice them they're so insignificant.  When eating one piece of level 35 food provides more bonuses than max WvW rewards, and when people run around all the time without any food buff, you know they can't possibly care about or even notice the WvW bonuses. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Homitu

I agree with most of the assessment of WvW in this review, although I haven't played enough to fully develop my own opinion yet. 

Concerning rewards, I think most people don't even notice them they're so insignificant.  When eating one piece of level 35 food provides more bonuses than max WvW rewards, and when people run around all the time without any food buff, you know they can't possibly care about or even notice the WvW bonuses. 

will agree bonuses could use a bump to make them little more meaningfull.. also more types of server rankings which I'm sure will get added at some point would help for people who won't just play for the "fun".. not many games release with much incentive to PVP though aside from maybe a set of gear.. Systems for PVP in place now imho are far more fleshed out than most even get released with and can only go up from here. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81

Server transfers can occur once every 24 hours so I doubt spying is much of an exploit especially when you get a crossed sword icon anytime someone attacks something.  You don't need to be a mastermind to figure out where the action is.

Also, the primary issue with free server transfers is that it makes the "have not" servers even worse.  By have not I mean those servers who lose constantly in WVW.  People will just transfer to a server thats winning.  

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  The only positive aspect is that when all these bandwagoners jump ship they help to increase the queue time on the server they went to.

• KingKioKingKio Member Posts: 27
    I love gw2, but sadly there's only so much content to it when you are playing a lot.

Kio.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Honeslty while the wvwvw is ok , its a utter joke compared to what daoc was. Its not even close.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20
    Yeah I like the WvW, it's pretty good, and I have to say the game has grown on me a lot more after hitting lvl 50 or so... But all the running after dying in WvW... That is a little pants tbh... I agree more waypoints are needed. It can take ages to get back in the battle (especially if you suck and die lots like me lol)...
  • citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

The negative topics on this is null and will be proven in the next couple months. 

The majority of people are still trying to learn game mechanics... we're not even a month into release!? 

In Wv3 you have hundreds of hackers (across a variety of servers) tooling tricks to try to level or what not - you have have power levers w/ no real experience or achievements, and you have a lot of people experimenting with "what is this..?". You also have a few good players who know what they are doing and they are still the minority, but also the ones who are probably the ones complaining about it (not bad, just premature imo).

The player base doubled in size in under two weeks, to well over 2 mill, and while that is probably expected by everyone, the logistics of it is yet a different story. 

I'm just glad I can still run in and have a game that runs great. I'll focus on pvp once I KNOW my toon and have a full understanding of the diversity I can provide... then I'll probably start complaining :-P

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Just tried WvW for the first time tonight...a lot to take in.  I must not be understanding this WvW stuff.  Did I really take equipment durability hits for deaths that I have to pay for?  I may be missing something as this is so silly I can't believe it.  Would it be possible to just play WvW to level and cover the costs?

It appears that the only way to have fun with this is to avoid the zerg and run off on your own or a small group behind enemy lines to screw with things.  When I was in the zerg the battle line went back and forth a bit but no one every accomplished anything other than dying and paying repair bills.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Just tried WvW for the first time tonight...a lot to take in.  I must not be understanding this WvW stuff.  Did I really take equipment durability hits for deaths that I have to pay for?  I may be missing something as this is so silly I can't believe it.  Would it be possible to just play WvW to level and cover the costs?

It appears that the only way to have fun with this is to avoid the zerg and run off on your own or a small group behind enemy lines to screw with things.  When I was in the zerg the battle line went back and forth a bit but no one every accomplished anything other than dying and paying repair bills.

It is possible, but you will never have more than 50 silver if you buy siege weapons. It's became slower as well once it went to 1 week games. 

Yeah at first that seems like a good idea, you will meet the zerg, and it may take away from you leveling missing what towers and keeps do fall. It would be nice if there some smaller points for small group type play. 

WvW is fun as hell when it's new. It's a real downer being broke all the time though. It makes you ask yourself "what for?" buing siege weapons hopung to kill enough people with them to make you money back.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Jebus you're milking the hell out of this review, the game isn't even that great.  You guys must realize there is absolutely nothing worthwhile on the horizon.

They have done this for the last few games, TSW and TERA come to mind, to avoid the 'you reviewed it too soon' criticism that they got from SWTOR. A month is a reasonable time frame for a MMO review.

Back on the topic. I loooooove WvW. So much to do, and it really encourages teamwork and communication. Yes you can zerg, but a zerg wont beat a fortified castle. You need to capture strategic points to get enough supplies to build siege weaponry.

My favourite part is making friends with the Quaggans and then following them around on a killing spree :D

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by banshe13

WVW is no where near like DAOC RVR not in the least.

Do we have bard's  for group speed groups nope '

you have several classes that can provide full AOE speed buffs

Do we have massive battles with hundereds of players per side nope only around 20-30

consistantly have had at least 50vs50 battles not sure what you are talking about

Do we have healers to heal and remove the CC nope

you have support specs to remove CC so basically works the same so yes

Do we have a large map nope we have a ok size map not large in anyway

MAPS are HUGE especially for no mounts... people are already complaining of having to walk to far

Do we have a darkfall that we fight for to get the best farming and lvling not to mention tokens for gear from darkfall only nope

DO we have realm pride or in the case server pride nope

realms are still being ranked but seen plenty of realm pride even Bill sees this as he mentioned in his review

In what way is this like DAoC OUTSIDE SEGING AND daOc IS NOT THE ONLY GAME WITH THAT JUST ONE OF THE 1ST.

Oh, look who's here.... LOL

WvWvWv"vw!vwvBMWvvWolksWagenvwwvW...bla bla is a mess at the moment! It's way to much zerging!

Way To Much Zerging to be really honest with you folks!!!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Miklosan
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by banshe13

WVW is no where near like DAOC RVR not in the least.

Do we have bard's  for group speed groups nope '

you have several classes that can provide full AOE speed buffs

Do we have massive battles with hundereds of players per side nope only around 20-30

consistantly have had at least 50vs50 battles not sure what you are talking about

Do we have healers to heal and remove the CC nope

you have support specs to remove CC so basically works the same so yes

Do we have a large map nope we have a ok size map not large in anyway

MAPS are HUGE especially for no mounts... people are already complaining of having to walk to far

Do we have a darkfall that we fight for to get the best farming and lvling not to mention tokens for gear from darkfall only nope

DO we have realm pride or in the case server pride nope

realms are still being ranked but seen plenty of realm pride even Bill sees this as he mentioned in his review

In what way is this like DAoC OUTSIDE SEGING AND daOc IS NOT THE ONLY GAME WITH THAT JUST ONE OF THE 1ST.

Oh, look who's here.... LOL

WvWvWv"vw!vwvBMWvvWolksWagenvwwvW...bla bla is a mess at the moment! It's way to much zerging!

Way To Much Zerging to be really honest with you folks!!!

Did you even play WvW? A zerg might be able to capture a resource point, but it wont capture a keep or castle. I have personally mowed down hundreds of players smashing themselves against reinforced doors using the keep defences, with only a few defenders.

WvW is designed to be organised. The best sides dont zerg, they defend key points, reinforce keeps, help supply to reach the destination, build machines and attack strategically.

Basically, if you are zerging, you are doing it wrong, and your server will probably lose.