Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things said by arenanet that are happening (with source)

Arenanet have been saying things on the forums.

I know many people don't actually visit the forums (I honestly don't blame you), so these may have gone over your heads.

• Mouse smoothing is broken, they're working on camera issues such as that one.

• We will be getting more dungeon tokens, no amount is said right now.
  • Dungeon tokens will be account bound.

• Death shroud is getting altered.
  • They want to increase build diversity.

• Before the release more info about "serious competition" they want to fix tournament bugs.
  • Ladders, ranking and custom tournies are coming.

• They don't want graveyard zerg in dungeons.
  • They plan on balancing bosses and adding more attack patterns to bosses with very few,
  • Rewards getting tweaked in dungeons.
  • They aren't planning on nerfing dungeons because some babies think they're too hard.

• We're getting free content updates, with some stuff in the cash shop too.

• No LFG system coming, one exists but they admit it's pretty bad, will be fixing it.

• Better rewards potentially coming on monday.

Comments

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    A reponsible company would have launched their game when it was ready, with the majority of those issues resolved.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Clocksimus
    A reponsible company would have launched their game when it was ready, with the majority of those issues resolved.

The complaining never ends.

Fanboyism?

You complain they aren't doing enough, so I give source, then you complain they shouldn't do stuff?

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Don't bother the rabblers, thank you for the nice update.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

It will never be completely ready, but Arenanet did put a large emphasis on "when it is ready" compared to other companies, which is why I expected them to deliver a far more "ready" service than other companies. Unfortunely, they didn't live up to my expectations in that regard.

Nonetheless, it is good that they are communicating plans for the future and I will be looking forward to the implementation of a ladder ranking. I hope though it won't take over 3 months to get it in.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

The majority of the mmo-industry confirmed that Guild Wars 2 was more ready, during the betas, than many other '' released mmos '' out there. The main problem with Guild Wars 2 was the load on the servers, that caused many issues, otherwise, the game was kinda great, and to be honest ... one of the games with the most ready content via launch ( Though I don´t meant, that the game had had a good launch, because this is not the case, with all the connection problems that resumed for days ).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

good post Op and sources are always helpful

id like to add to that

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/members/Robert-Hrouda-1327/showposts

We know that the dungeon rewards aren't where they need to be, and we're going to work on it until we are happy with how it feels. Monday's patch will be the start of our efforts to correct the problem.

• FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91

"They aren't planning on nerfing dungeons because some babies think they're too hard."

Thats great! But I hope they do tweak the other bosses then. Cause that one boss in the level 30 dungeon is so much harder than any boss in the level 70 and 80 dungeons, and my friends and I 3 manned those dungeons. :P

Originally posted by Nadia

good post Op and sources are always helpful

id like to add to that

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/members/Robert-Hrouda-1327/showposts

We know that the dungeon rewards aren't where they need to be, and we're going to work on it until we are happy with how it feels. Monday's patch will be the start of our efforts to correct the problem.

Thanks, I forgot this guy's name.

Added some things from him.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Blizzard also put a big emphasis on "when it's ready" for WoW, and we all know the problems they had at release.

It's the same here. The beta week ends were actually pretty smooth, none of the major problems they had at launch appeared. The reason for this is the same than the one for WoW's problems... MASSIVE success and massive player influx.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

You're obviously new to mmos or you wouldn't have said something so silly.

He's not just obviously new to MMOs, he's obviously new to software in general.

I've never installed a program in the last 5 years that hasn't had some sort of update or patch...

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Fanboyism?

You complain they aren't doing enough, so I give source, then you complain they shouldn't do stuff?

No. When have I ever complain they "are not doing enough"-

The person you said was "complaining" (remember..The complaining never ends) wasnt complaining but making a statement (one I agree with BTW)

Calling someone a complainer for making such a statement is akin to calling them a "whner", a "qqer" etc. which is a fanboy attack tactic.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

"They aren't planning on nerfing dungeons because some babies think they're too hard."

Take any MMO out there, grab a random dungeon, delete the role of the tank, and it will be hard. This is just a failed design. Bosses with huge dmg output but no class which could survive a hit.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

About death shroud, my Necromancer is tank spec and death shroud is a godsend, I've survived ganks in pvp and large mobs in pve, combine death shroud with the jump+dodge trick to kite/escape, and you're unstoppable. The only thing that bugs me is the weird UI in death shroud since you can't see your conditions and boons and so forth.

Take any MMO out there, grab a random dungeon, delete the role of the tank, and it will be hard. This is just a failed design. Bosses with huge dmg output but no class which could survive a hit.
    That is what dodge is for.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

About death shroud, my Necromancer is tank spec and death shroud is a godsend, I've survived ganks in pvp and large mobs in pve, combine death shroud with the jump+dodge trick to kite/escape, and you're unstoppable.

The only thing that bugs me is the weird UI in death shroud since you can't see your conditions and boons and so forth.

The condition/boon thing was a part of the post.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Clocksimus A reponsible company would have launched their game when it was ready, with the majority of those issues resolved.
    You're obviously new to mmos or you wouldn't have said something so silly.

I don't understand what's so silly about that. He's only paraphrasing what ArenaNet said with "When it's ready"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

You mean like every single other MMO out there to date? Oh wait....

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

The complaining never ends.

There is absolutely nothing in that list that would warrant your reply, please reserve something like that for games that are actually half done or broken at launch, ohh I dont know maybe like AOC or Vangaurd.

There is though plenty of room in this thread for people just looking for something to complain about for a game they dont like, so by all means is that the best you can do?

Look at my post history I am the farthest thing from a GW2 lover but reponses like this just make me kind of sick.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Fanboyism?

No. When have I ever complain they "are not doing enough"-

The person you said was "complaining" (remember..The complaining never ends) wasnt complaining but making a statement (one I agree with BTW)

Calling someone a complainer for making such a statement is akin to calling them a "whner", a "qqer" etc. which is a fanboy attack tactic.

Really?  They should have had balance issues worked out before launch?  Name me your mmo and tell me if they have all their balance issues worked out.  Complaining that balance issues and tweaks should have been worked out is silly.

People said the same stupid shit about TRION, complaining they should have had all these systems worked out before launch.  But that's not realistic is it.  What has made TRION shine as a developer and one of ANets strengths is that they do patch and update the game.

Really how stupid is it when someone presents an improvement plan and the response is, well you should have done it sooner.  We need a lot less of that sort of negative attitude to positive effort.  Calling a douche out when they spew bullshit isn't a fanboy move.

Yeah but I was speaking as a "whole" (not just on the issues given)- There has been many issues when taken together says they should have waited- Things like the AH among others.

I am ceratinly not speaking about onloy balance issues here- Nor am I even "complaining" about things like the AH since I was unable to play while it was down anyhow. But what he made wasnt a negative attitude IMO. One of the problems as I see it is the inability to say anything which some overly positive people (who are easily offended about a game they DID NOT MAKE) thinks is complaining and then they are attacked by rabid piranah fanboys and girls and flamed into silence.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

About death shroud, my Necromancer is tank spec and death shroud is a godsend, I've survived ganks in pvp and large mobs in pve, combine death shroud with the jump+dodge trick to kite/escape, and you're unstoppable. The only thing that bugs me is the weird UI in death shroud since you can't see your conditions and boons and so forth.

ANET will be making changes

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/I-play-a-necro-but-I-traid-a-warrior-for-one-play-session/page/2#post116884

Let us see our boons and conditions in death shroud!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/necromancer/Let-us-see-our-boons-and-conditions-in-death-shroud/first

Jon Peters:  Yeah agreed we want to fix this.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Blizzard also put a big emphasis on "when it's ready" for WoW, and we all know the problems they had at release.

It's the same here. The beta week ends were actually pretty smooth, none of the major problems they had at launch appeared. The reason for this is the same than the one for WoW's problems... MASSIVE success and massive player influx.

Yeah I was there in Wow on day one, and since me and my guildies weren't foolish enough to attempt to play on a server with 18 hour queue times the problems we ran into were a bit of loot lag and a couple of bugged quests. Blizzard went on to build a gigantic server infrastructure from scratch to address the gigantic influx of players. Where as A-net has had all the benefit of hindsight where they could learn from all these previous MMORPG companies (not to mention their OWN previous MMO) mistakes, yet looks like they didn't.

Do I really belive any of that? Not really, but how about we stop comparing GW2 to other games only when it suits us. GW2 is what it is due to A-net alone, no other game company has any direct impact on how the game is managed, so let's stop making excuses and accusations or praising or damning the game based on what some completely unrelated company did.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

To do a good comparison, we would have to know how many concurrent users was expected prior to release, how many pre-orders/pre-purchases there were, how many total sales was expected to reach at the 1-week point, how much technology improved over these years, how much actual concurrent users and total sales during first week.

Given that SWTOR had 350k concurrent users and around 2m sales, I think Arenanet should have expected at least 200k concurrent users and 1m sales. Given that Guild Wars 2 had about 1 million pre-purchases, they should have increased the total sales expectation to 1.5 million.  This means that what actually happened should have at worst have been twice as large as what they had expected. Did WoW have a larger or smaller ratio of reality divided by expectations? 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Very informative post. Thank you. Will you keep updating us with Arenanet posts in the future?
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Yeah I was there in Wow on day one, and since me and my guildies weren't foolish enough to attempt to play on a server with 18 hour queue times the problems we ran into were a bit of loot lag and a couple of bugged quests. Blizzard went on to build a gigantic server infrastructure from scratch to address the gigantic influx of players. Where as A-net has had all the benefit if hindsight where they could learn from all these previous MMORPG companies (not to mention their OWN previous MMO) mistakes, yet looks like they didn't.

this is all offtopic to the Op:

i have mixed feelings on this

I disagree that Blizzard didnt have a past history to learn from

Blizzard had a history for online management w volumes of players

past online franchises of D2 and Starcraft having millions of players online using battlenet

Diabo2 used to be the #1 PC game in the world selling millions -- and Warcraft3 later outsold D2 on its launch

this is all before WOW

when WOW launched, WOW had less than a million players

WOW didnt exceed 1 million until it launched in Europe, 3 months later in Feb 2005

and meanwhile Blizzard was being slammed by North America due to poor planning

comparing a company to itself, yes Blizzard screwed up

Blizzard had a long history of mulitmillion player online games but Blizzard wanted to play it "safe" for a sub game

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Arenanet have been saying things on the forums.

I know many people don't actually visit the forums (I honestly don't blame you), so these may have gone over your heads.

• Mouse smoothing is broken, they're working on camera issues such as that one.

• We will be getting more dungeon tokens, no amount is said right now.
    • Dungeon tokens will be account bound.

• Death shroud is getting altered.
    • They want to increase build diversity.

• Before the release more info about "serious competition" they want to fix tournament bugs.
    • Ladders, ranking and custom tournies are coming.

• They don't want graveyard zerg in dungeons.
    • They plan on balancing bosses and adding more attack patterns to bosses with very few,
    • Rewards getting tweaked in dungeons.
    • They aren't planning on nerfing dungeons because some babies think they're too hard.

• We're getting free content updates, with some stuff in the cash shop too.

• No LFG system coming, one exists but they admit it's pretty bad, will be fixing it.

• Better rewards potentially coming on monday.

Thank god. Changing dungeons so now all I'll see is threads about difficulty. "Without rez zergs, these instances are impossible." Finally the complainers about rez zerging will find something new to complain about. The lack thereof for that matter.

As for me, I get to enjoy my dungeon experience and be happy that I'm beating these bosses like other games in the past and get some fullfilment out of doing the bosses right.

Oh and I can bet you that we will hear a "Anet just wants us to play these bosses their way instead of ours."

Finally I can get the challenge I want and the complainers lose their rez zerg. Win win.