Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much did you spend?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So far i spend €50, for 4000 gems, 

Bought 3 extra classslots for 2400 and have 1600 left on my account.

Anyone else allready spend more then he would on a subbed game in the first 5 months?

I dont regret spending it, but it proves to me that even when you want to make money B2p is the way to go

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I've spent less that I would spend for my two WoW accounts every month :)

I transformed a couple of gems to approx. 1 gold at release so I'm not annoyed with buying weapons and some starter stuff on my warrior, and then I bought 3 bank extensions and a some mystic forge stones for mystic salvage kits. Didn't feel the need for anything else.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

When I started, the limited bank space bugged me so much that I wanted to buy gems, but luckily it wouldn't accept my mastercard.

Later I ran CoF explore about 100 times to get the full exo set and 2 exo weapons, and had enough gold to convert into gems to buy all the inventory and bank slots.

So I spend nothing :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    If  i would want to convert gems to gold, wouldnt it be wise to wayt a little as the goldprices will certainly rise

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I've spent my usual cash shop amount: $0.00. I consider this sum to be final.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I bought 2000 gems. Cost me a little over 5 gold. That should cover my needs for the foreseeable future.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I've bought the game and that's it.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I bought two extra character slots, rather early on. Kinda regret that decision now but that's how cash shops work :)

So that was £17.00, a lot more then I'd spend in a P2P first month but obviously not over five, (I have serious doubts now the game will last me another four months however). It might be beneficial long term, however, as if I go back for an expac and their are new classes then I have room to try them. That's what I'm telling myself anyway :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    If  i would want to convert gems to gold, wouldnt it be wise to wayt a little as the goldprices will certainly rise

All I know is...

I got the gems cheap since so many people were buying gems and selling them in the first couple of weeks, they are more expensive now, and will probably continue to rise a little bit until it settles.

So yes, it probably would be wise to wait, maybe just a week or two.

But I'm no expert, just what I would do.

Edit: Oh, and if you think there's the slightest possibility that you'll be needing gems in the future, don't convert them to gold at all, since exchanging gold to gems, and then back to gold is a sink, you'll always get less gold for your gems than you paid for them.

In that case, just hold on to them, never know if Anet releases something you really want from the shop.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    So far, aside from the actual game, I spent $0.  I bought 6 bank slots so far.  Just traded gold for gems.  
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Anyone else allready spend more then he would on a subbed game in the first 5 months?

I dont regret spending it, but it proves to me that even when you want to make money B2p is the way to go

I have spent £8, which ofc is more then I would have spent in the first month in a sub based game as well.

But then that's the great trick of cash shops I guess... They dress up more expensive basics, such as a practical amount of bank space, as 'choice'.

We have to remember that the highly promoted and very much engineered move to this model is only to benefit profit margains, not the games or the gamer.

Cash shops do not fix games, and no game has ever been made better by one. If it wasn't worth the gamer's time at £2.50/week then the chances are it isn't at whatever the shop eventually drip feeds out of them.

Cash shops effect game design on the most profound level. It simply isn't a good model for anyone who calls themselves a gamer and plays to achieve.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187
    made ~300 gold with trading and bought gems. no need to buy em with real money if you got brainz.
  • bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Anybody who is spending real money on gems really didn't have to.  It might not be the easiest to make money in this game, but it's also not that hard.  I may spend real money down the line, but at this point with gems so cheap I would much rather buy them.  The prices have gone up, but at around 30-40 silver for 100 gems, it's really not too bad.

If you are broke, you must be salvaging everything.  I learned a little too late that you should vendor everything BUT salvagable items (the one's that say it in the tooltip) and yellows.  

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm only playing one class at a time, I'm sticking with my necro to 80, at 80 I will make a lot of gold.

I took up tailoring, ( don't like it too hard to find jute ) but was able to make a pile of 8 slot bags so I'm good. When I make other characters I will send my jute to my necro and make more bags for them. It will also naturally increase my crafting on my necro. I will also send my mining stuff to my next character, and build up my crafting with that.

Its all about pationts....Just think of an over all game plan.....I'm sure I will think up other ideas as I take my time !!!!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    $10, for one extra character slot, so far.  I'd be happy to spend more, but there really isn't anything in the gem shop I even want. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Still at $0 purchased in Gems. Still have not found any real reason that I feel to purchase any and I probably won't. It's too easy to convert my in game gold that I've made into Gems whenever I need them.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

So far I have spent a grand total of Zip! Zero! Nada!

I've had no reason to buy gems up to now. I do intend to buy them every couple of months, just to support Anet and fund expansions etc. Cheaper than a monthly sub anyway. I have no idea what I'll use them for. Maybe unlock some bank space, although I'm managing fine for now.

I suppose I could buy a pirate outfit...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Game is worth the box price, but not more.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Vesalius you need to think about it a bit more, the cash shop has not a sinle thing that is a must have. A cash shop allows you to play an AAA mmorg with no sub. In at 80 and I made a choice to buy a bag slot, it wasnt a must have but it was a nice to have that I decided to buy, my decision which I take personal responsibility for. Your getting a pretty substantial sized server infrastructure for your non-sub, that's not cheap. I have seen cash shops where you are at a disadvantage in the game if you don't buy (must have potions, gear) but this is not the case here.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Yea I wouldn't think twice of purchasing in the store if I feel the need to give ArenaNet some more cash. I do want to game to continue on so purchasing here and there in the cashshop every few months for a vanity item isn't out of consideration.

I've actually spent more in The Secret Worlds cash shop.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I have spent £8, which ofc is more then I would have spent in the first month in a sub based game as well.

But then that's the great trick of cash shops I guess... They dress up more expensive basics, such as a practical amount of bank space, as 'choice'.

We have to remember that the highly promoted and very much engineered move to this model is only to benefit profit margains, not the games or the gamer.

Cash shops do not fix games, and no game has ever been made better by one. If it wasn't worth the gamer's time at £2.50/week then the chances are it isn't at whatever the shop eventually drip feeds out of them.

Cash shops effect game design on the most profound level. It simply isn't a good model for anyone who calls themselves a gamer and plays to achieve.

Agree 100%. Cash shop adds nothing good for gamers. It just gives the illusion that it is cheaper than a sub based game. Its sole purpose is to increase the profit margins and that is why games which were tanking are suddenly profitable, without the actual gameplay improving.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Bought 800 gems to buy some backpack slots since from the start i already needed way more space.

but thats probably going to be my final spend, unless they bring in something cool into the shop ofc.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
    Ye I feel the same, I don't feel fleeced when I use the cash-shop and actually think of it as a kind of opt-I'm sub, I have a budget of £8 a month that I can optionally pay if I see something I fancy. That a world a way from paying £10 a month just to get the privilege of entering a game I own.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    I've spent zero. And I won't spend anything either. Buying gems is so cheap there is no need.
    Yamoto an optional 0 to x pounds a month IS cheaper than a Compulsary 10 pounds a month, that's a fact.

^^ what that cash shop adds for the gamer is free access to server technology and an online game that probably costs millions.