Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what i call EPIC battles in a game!

PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

I just found this video of Darkfall 1...

Have you even seen such epic battles in another game? let me guess ...NO!

I simply cannot wait for Darkfall Unholy Wars! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJETzhlMAEE&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Comments

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Lol I was at that battle, and countless others just like it.  DF2 will be even more epic.  Also it should be mentioned DF can support thousands of players at once  (although your computer might shit on you if its not up to spec) which NO other mmo can even come close to.  GW2 and there piddly ass 300 total person w v w v w is peanuts compared to even a small siege when DF has a healthy server population.
  • BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Just two guilds at eachother? Meh. When I used to play we defended a city against the Zerg so we were outnumbered 10 to 1 but we gave them a really good fight! 

This was the first month of the game which was personally the best I have ever done in that game and I have seen better battles but less epic ones as those in Darkfall. 

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I find epic see-saw battles every night in the borderlands of GW2.  Countless times we are in a prolongued pitched battle and its a blast.  I also dont have to worry about someone gankign me while farming gold and Karma too so thats always a plus.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by 123443211234
    Lol I was at that battle, and countless others just like it.  DF2 will be even more epic.  Also it should be mentioned DF can support thousands of players at once  (although your computer might shit on you if its not up to spec) which NO other mmo can even come close to.  GW2 and there piddly ass 300 total person w v w v w is peanuts compared to even a small siege when DF has a healthy server population.

Damn you are so lucky to, unfortunatelly i started Darkfall some months after the launch and it was a bit hard to catch up... But now with the DFUW i wont make the same mistake! i will be there at the very 1st minute of launch :)

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I find epic see-saw battles every night in the borderlands of GW2.  Countless times we are in a prolongued pitched battle and its a blast.  I also dont have to worry about someone gankign me while farming gold and Karma too so thats always a plus.

Im also playing GW2... where you see that "epic"?

Also DF is not for all players, you must accept ganking deep in your soul and embrace it... that is all the magic! The element of fear when leaving a city, you can't find that in other MMOs these days.

Originally posted by Bakoryo

Just two guilds at eachother? Meh. When I used to play we defended a city against the Zerg so we were outnumbered 10 to 1 but we gave them a really good fight! 

This was the first month of the game which was personally the best I have ever done in that game and I have seen better battles but less epic ones as those in Darkfall. 

Lol nah thats an alliance vs. alliance battle, the guy doing the frapsing is for the most part just in one side tunnel so you don't see all the fighting thats going on elsewhere in the other tunnels, bank room and outside in the city and above the city on the ledge.  

And the "first month of the game comment" everyone was a zerg (don't try to act like you know anything about the game if you only played for the first month LOL)

Lol nah thats an alliance vs. alliance battle, the guy doing the frapsing is for the most part just in one side tunnel so you don't see all the fighting thats going on elsewhere in the other tunnels, bank room and outside in the city and above the city on the ledge.  

And the "first month of the game comment" everyone was a zerg (don't try to act like you know anything about the game if you only played for the first month LOL)

Ohohoho. No, I played much more than just the first month. Just saying that the sieges and battles were much more intense when it was the wessex alliance (can't remember the name of them) vs the other big alliance. Both sides were extremely well organized and itwas so much fun and meaningful to actually do attacks. I left when the population dropped and it became a one-sided zerg that was called the swarm I think..? 

Well, I didn't know those alliances so I thought they were just clans. :p 

Nah, I know that fraps from one guy doesn't justify a siege whatsoever so I just wanted to get that clarified for myself. I'm hoping that Unholy wars will be much more uh, balanced and more fun than Darkfall was as it was fun and all but seriously lacked stuff to do and the jack of all trades, master of all due to macroing and afk'ing and making crafting useless kinda let me down as I expected it to be somewhat different. 

Ohohoho. No, I played much more than just the first month. Just saying that the sieges and battles were much more intense when it was the wessex alliance (can't remember the name of them) vs the other big alliance. Both sides were extremely well organized and itwas so much fun and meaningful to actually do attacks. I left when the population dropped and it became a one-sided zerg that was called the swarm I think..? 

Well, I didn't know those alliances so I thought they were just clans. :p 

Nah, I know that fraps from one guy doesn't justify a siege whatsoever so I just wanted to get that clarified for myself. I'm hoping that Unholy wars will be much more uh, balanced and more fun than Darkfall was as it was fun and all but seriously lacked stuff to do and the jack of all trades, master of all due to macroing and afk'ing and making crafting useless kinda let me down as I expected it to be somewhat different. 

LOL,  ok  you played for 3 months, still not enough time.  You are talking about Wessex vs. COTC (coalition of the chillin) both of which were tremendous zergs with horrendous leadership.  I know this because I was a mid-level combat commander in Wessex  (1-3 groups depending on who was on and what we were doing)  when the top guys were on we suffered from  incompetence and fail at every turn (they just didn't understand the game mechanics and were attempting to RP and just plain played the game wrong).    Hell King Manus made us wait for like 4 hours in the middle of the night then march, (yes march most of the zerglings were too scrubby to risk a mount) to  Hammerdale only to then find out we didnt have any siege hammers let alone a cannon or anything to get through the walls and only like 5 of us out of the entire zerg (like 200) had actually skilled up launch enough to get over the walls.  Biggest fail ever.  Though fun at the time from a player with a couple years of Darkfall under their belt these battles were nothing more than swarms of lemmings waiting to get chopped up.  

The death of Wessex was the best thing that ever happened to my Darkfall career as it forced me out into the vast world and I learned that cities come and go but the friends and experience you gain stay with you.  Plus there was so much more to see than just our section of human and ork lands.

The evolution of tactics, strategy and skills involved in being succesful in Darkfall was and still is tremendous and those of you lacking real experience would be be well served to find a good guild, listen learn and practice for the best gaming experience you will ever have.

PS.  

Crafting in Darkfall is not useless and is the only mmo I know of where you can player craft EVERY single piece of equipment in the game and the stats on the player crafted version will be better than the mob dropped version, often significantly better.

So by definition that I have played Darkfall for three months isn't enough to be able to form an opinion? Don't be so full of yourself. 

I'd rather not go into personal assaults but as you are obviously baiting me to do so I can't really prevent myself from doing it.

Oh! Yeah, I wasn't directly in the wessex clan but in the covenant of the phoenix if I can recall the name right. We were well-organized and I mostly listened to our leader and troopleaders rather than the higher ups as it didn't concern me. I did roleplay though so Mannus was my king for better or worse (worse actually as he was very full of himself and it was the other people in wessex that were the true leaders) 

The crafting in darkfall was mediocre and as there were no  item decay and pretty much anyone could just make the best items thus it became pointless fast. Now, if there were decay on items and some items were very difficult to create or the knowledge on how to make them was different I would say that the crafting was well-done but it was okay. :P 

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Planetside 2

/thread

• Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I remember this fight, it was fun
  • WhisperXIIIWhisperXIII Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by busdriver

Planetside 2

/thread

Completely different kind of game? Like, I don't think I would consider the two to even be in the same genre. It's like trying to compare DF and EvE

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
    Originally posted by WhisperXIII

Planetside 2

/thread

Completely different kind of game? Like, I don't think I would consider the two to even be in the same genre. It's like trying to compare DF and EvE

So?

Planetside 2

/thread

So?

So I'm not sure how coming into a thread about Darkfall and saying "Planetside 2" effectively /threads the thread.

Move along my dear troll <3

Elyse Leveque - Zealot

Planetside 2

/thread

/facepalm

Planetside 2

/thread

So?

So I'm not sure how coming into a thread about Darkfall and saying "Planetside 2" effectively /threads the thread.

OP asked a question:

Have you even seen such epic battles in another game?

Which I answered. DF can't hold a candle against PS2 when it comes to epicness of battles, not even a contest.

As for your claim, dear fanboi, about them being totally different types of games: both of them have manual aiming (FPS), both are MMO's, both of them offer very little besides PvP and both attract the same crowd (almost everyone I know from DF is playing PS2 beta, including me).

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Eve battles are way way way way bigger than any battle Darkfall ever ahd or will have, so yes other games do it bigger and better.

Planetside 2

/thread

So?

OP asked a question:

Have you even seen such epic battles in another game?

Which I answered. DF can't hold a candle against PS2 when it comes to epicness of battles, not even a contest.

As for your claim, dear fanboi, about them being totally different types of games: both of them have manual aiming (FPS), both are MMO's, both of them offer very little besides PvP and both attract the same crowd (almost everyone I know from DF is playing PS2 beta, including me).

I would say the major difference is that Darkfall is full loot. At the end of an epic battle in PS2, you have a new area controlled, some money, some XP, maybe some other things? In DF, winning a battle brings a lot of loot to the victors. Not the point of the fight for most of us, but still a nice added bonus. Plus, it's fun to look across a battlefield littered with graves as well XD

Aside from that, I'm not sure of the scale of combat that PS2 offers/allows? Darkfall has sported battles between over a thousand players before, something I've only ever heard compared to EvE. Granted the population has been lower recently so your average battles are naturally smaller, but DFUW will likely bring in an entirely different scale of things to the population.

Don't misunderstand my position I'm very excited about PS2 and am looking forward to trying it, but it will never really be in the same category as DF, at least for me.

Also I'm a fangirl >.<

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
    Originally posted by Alakor
    Eve battles are way way way way bigger than any battle Darkfall ever ahd or will have, so yes other games do it bigger and better.

I've PvPd in EvE as well. I enjoy it very much, but it is very difficult to compare the games. EvE is a very structured game. Combat is very meticulous and easy to coordinate (which is a compliment on the  design of the game). Darkfall on the other hand is chaotic, immensely so, and trying to coordinate a siege force with hundreds of players with no Overview, an incredibly limited waypoint/map system, and party limit of 10 is no small task. 

Sure, you could call that a design flaw, but I've always seen it as an intentional design limitation. It takes skill to be able to overcome those challenges and still have an effective siege force.

On top of that, the actual combat is incredibly fast paced, as it's an FPS. Experiencing a large scale fight in EvE feels very different from experiencing a large scale fight in Darkfall. You can't zoom out, everything is up close and personal, you can't lock targets, field AoE's can blind you and make it difficult to even see your targets, let alone track them. 

Again, both games are amazing, and I love both of them, yet it's just hard to compare the two. I get different things out of each.

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46

EvE has battles nearing 3000's or even mroe which is like 3 times the whole darkfall population jsut in 1 battle =p

If you liked DF you should try EvE, it does everythign DF did but 10 times better, and 10 times more options, DF only allowed pvp orf arm nothing else at all, EvE has 10's of career patchs, explorer, pirate, imperialist, mission runner, miner, industrialist... So many options

Originally posted by WhisperXIII Darkfall has sported battles between over a thousand players before,

I would call bullshit, biggest battle I ever was in DF had maybe 150-200 players. Can't be sure, this was sometime after launch when there were actually people still playing the game.

Originally posted by WhisperXIII Darkfall has sported battles between over a thousand players before,

I would call bullshit, biggest battle I ever was in DF had maybe 150-200 players. Can't be sure, this was sometime after launch when there were actually people still playing the game.

I can't change what you believe >.< I've been in many mass-scale sieges, the largest was between CotC and Afghan + Dusk (or Cactus?) for Mar Shral. There was an estimated 1200 people involved, with fighting spread over a huge area. I also know that that fight was not nearly the largest. Some of the early fights on Niffleheim were between massive armies as well, and at Hyperions height, just before they fell to CotC, they had about 1500 membrs, with CotC sporting 2200. When those two alliances clashed, the whole server felt it.

The Mar Shral siege was definitely the largest I've ever been in at ~1200 people, but I've been in many, many sieges with anywhere from 300-500 people in it over the years. Even recently, with a lower server population, I've been in fights with 200 people in it.

I'm really quite curious though. What scale of combat does PS2 offer? What do I have to look forward to there?

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    The problem I had with Darkfall 1 and the problem I'm sure I'm going to have with Darkfall Unholy Wars is if you don't go almost full magic you're doomed to fail.  I wanted to simply be all melee and maybe some archer, but watching these videos reminded me why I dumped this game and didn't look back.  Plus look at it.  It's nothing but buff wars.  I'm sorry, I can see the appeal for some people, but it's if going to be the same thing in Darkfall Unholy Wars, you're going to just have the same few people interested.  I hate seeing games with 5 stacks of buffs.  Give me one or two single buffs and it's not overkill.  You start stacking sometimes 20 buffs and tell me what the point is then.
    Originally posted by seniorfrito
    The problem I had with Darkfall 1 and the problem I'm sure I'm going to have with Darkfall Unholy Wars is if you don't go almost full magic you're doomed to fail.  I wanted to simply be all melee and maybe some archer, but watching these videos reminded me why I dumped this game and didn't look back.  Plus look at it.  It's nothing but buff wars.  I'm sorry, I can see the appeal for some people, but it's if going to be the same thing in Darkfall Unholy Wars, you're going to just have the same few people interested.  I hate seeing games with 5 stacks of buffs.  Give me one or two single buffs and it's not overkill.  You start stacking sometimes 20 buffs and tell me what the point is then.

Perhaps the best player to ever touch Darkfall has been playing almost exclusively melee/archery for as long as I can remember. He's pretty much the last person you want to encounter in a siege.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xzorcist/featured

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Near relase I was in a fight that was roughly 1.5-1.8k v.s. over 2k people. The fight took up an entire subcontinent with multiple cities sieged in one go. Was truely epic :)