Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do People Hate OWPVP?

Comments

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37
    i absolutely love open world pvp since linage 2 C2. i dislike games with safe zones tbh,,except citys..safe zones are for pussys.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Bijou

Originally posted by Drachasor
    When a level 50 guy shows up in the level 10 zone, you can't defend yourself.  You're dead.  It's not about being "too much of a challenge", but rather open world PvP encourages people to behave like jerks.  I don't like that kind of "gameplay."

This.

+1

A lower level player should not die in 1 shot, no matter what level the attacker, they should always have a chance to escape, and I don't mean making it half dead 50yards before an ranged attack finishes it, my ideal game would have damage to equipment, so even a low level character can damage a ganker before he would die, enough that the ganker would need to grind the cash to repair.

the idea that a hi level player is invulnerable is ridiculous and spoils any ow PvP game

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Because some people can't keep up with chaos/fighting 100+ players and can only focus on 8 at a time thats why. I could keep up with the chaos, I love it.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Parasitenoir

Hey guys - (just to start so no flaming occurs) i will be playing gw2 so I am not a hater.  I just have a more general question.

Why is it that people do not like true open world pvp, where you can gank anyone while they are questing etc.  I enjoyed it in wow while it existed (vanilla-slightly BC), Rift was good, and currently gaming in Tera.

Is it the annoyance of being ganked and not being able to defend yourself.  Does it provide to much of a challenge.  Or is our generation just lazy and prefer to sit in a town and just que for stuff.

I personally like the OWPVP and being able to mess with someones day while there gathering, questing whatever there doing .

what are peoples thoughts on this?

Even in Themepark games I have always rolled on PvP servers. The only thing I can see with GW2 is that with having only one faction and the way all attacks pretty much have an AoE you would be killing eachother even if you were trying to work together to kill a world boss.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Jonoku
    Because some people can't keep up with chaos/fighting 100+ players and can only focus on 8 at a time thats why. I could keep up with the chaos, I love it.

This isn't why people don't like open world pvp.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I don't think it's challenge or laziness that people don't like OWPvP. In most cases I think it has to do with the annoyance and griefing factor. It's just a different type of playstyle.

In a perfect world even the themeist of themeparks could have regions for OWPvP and have some sort of reason for everyone to go there.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    I preferred Wow's City Raids tbh.
  • friagrimfriagrim Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Open World PvP is fine, just not in themeparks.

There needs to be a real risk involved, not just having to go back to your corpse.

Otherwise it just turns into real PvP 10% of the time and griefing 90% of the time.

exactly.

Most people are unable to even recognize that this is why they hate open world PvP. Its a difference between two completely different types of games, one of which unfortunately completely took over our genre long ago and choked out everything else. Tho really, only the players are to blame not the companies that succeeded in making money off of them.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I don't hate open world PVP.  But I think it's retarded when a higher level player goes out of their way to kill a significantly lower level player.

In WAR, if you were too high level for a zone, and you were flagged for RVR, then you were immediately turned into a chicken.  As a chicken, you would die with one hit, even from a level 1 character.

That's how I see those players who go out of their way to kill weaker opponents... they're chicken.  They are too afraid to fight equal opponents, or they frequently get their asses handed to them by equal opponents, so they find weaker prey to compensate for how shitty they truly are.

However, in a game or server where you are free to kill or be killed, you can't get upset when you get ganked.  At the same time, if I am free to kill anyone in the game, I will avoid the weaker prey and go for an opponent that actually has a chance to fight back.  Digital chivalry is still chivalry.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Hey guys - (just to start so no flaming occurs) i will be playing gw2 so I am not a hater.  I just have a more general question.

Why is it that people do not like true open world pvp, where you can gank anyone while they are questing etc.  I enjoyed it in wow while it existed (vanilla-slightly BC), Rift was good, and currently gaming in Tera.

Is it the annoyance of being ganked and not being able to defend yourself.  Does it provide to much of a challenge.  Or is our generation just lazy and prefer to sit in a town and just que for stuff.

I personally like the OWPVP and being able to mess with someones day while there gathering, questing whatever there doing .

what are peoples thoughts on this?

It's a very simple answer.. It's because of the asshats owpvp attracts.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

OP you mention thjat you LIKE messing with someone's day,is that not answering your own question?Gaming is suppose to feel relaxing and fun and yes challenging,but not many play games hoping the other 2 million stop by to mess up their game.

I would think the logic is super easy to see,but i guess if you enjoy ruining other players games ,i can see the PVP menatality and the fact you can't see it.

This is why i do not like pvp period in rpg's,i prefer a totally friendly community that just gets along.IN FPS games yes becuase obviously you KNOW every single player is there for the same reason,so yo uare not interfering with others.

The ONLY reason PVP started to become a bigger factor was MONEY/Greed.Devs from the beginning put zero effort into pvp and even now days jus ttake the same pve design and allow pvp in restricted zones.

The sad part is for REALSITIC PVP,you need maps/layout that are realsitic.I mean seriously all i see players doing is stand right in front of each other and spam a few keys.REalistic pvp like in UT99 for example or many other games liek early COD and Quake is about ducking and moving thorugh the map and it's obstacles.Nobody in real life would just walk out in the open and say ok you shoot me and i shoot you and whoever has better aim wins.

Gw2 for example has dodging but not realsitic dofdging,you don't use it to dodge behind a rock for cover,you just dodge to auto miss damage.IN UT99 you could dodge all you want,if i used a splash damage weapon you were still hit,that is REALISTIC game play for pvp.

So i think i made it obvious why i don't like open world pvp nor pvp in general in RPG's.Give me a great map layout and variable weapons and yes i love it to death,played more fps hours than i have rpg's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Very simply many players in mmos hate to be the entertainment for other player, as that implies there entertainement i secondary in thier mind. So long as a game make another paying player into entertainment for another paying plaayer, many player will jut not enjoy it, as they wish to enjoy the game in their own style over how others wish to.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Short and sweet.

Griefers

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

The funny part is most people who complain about being ganked or griefing would still play in a pvp server. These are the people who make OWPVP terrible, the cry babys. they roll on pvp servers and get destroyed and then run to the forums crying and biching about how its not fair ect ect.

This is why games should only have 1 or 2 servers with OWPVP that way when all these guys who " think " they want pvp rage quit the population isnt spread out accross 10 dead servers.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

Lineage II had the best OWPVP system.....

Not to mention you would rarely see people gank low level players because it would be hard as fuck for the to work off their Karma. xD

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    When a level 50 guy shows up in the level 10 zone, you can't defend yourself.  You're dead.  It's not about being "too much of a challenge", but rather open world PvP encourages people to behave like jerks.  I don't like that kind of "gameplay."

Even if they made a open pvp game where you could only give damage to guys from EXACT level you are. Many would problably still complain.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

i have no problem with OWPVP so long as it suits the lore. hense why TSW cannot have it.

i get the whole idea where a lvl 50 goes to a lvl 10 area and kills people who cannot possibly defend themselves and all that. If you want to fix that you can potentally do what GW2 did and level down people going into lower level areas. i fully get its a dick move to be doing that. People who trick lvl 10 into turning on their pvp i could care less about. People who see a fight and then run into a AoE for Force a PVP flag should get Suspensions for griefing.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Because of the overriding asshat culture of the OWPvP community.

Sure, not all OWPvPers are this, but enough are to set the same culture in every game that adopts it.

It gets old.

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

I have a question related to op question. And I need that OWPVP haters, answer it.

Many guys here are complaining about greiefing and ganking.

Now lets imagine something, lets imagine the game don't have pvp, but the npc monsters try to kill you when they see you, they have normal ai (imagine multiplayer fps games AI), if you try to run they will go after you (so, yes,  they will leave their respawn area while trying to kill you)....

Would you like those ideas. I mean those monsters are trying to kill you like a player but they arent players.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

People dont hate it, they just don't know what it is because no game in the last few years hasbeen able to offer a true OWPvP experience. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vesavius

Because of the overriding asshat culture of the OWPvP community.

Sure, not all OWPvPers are this, but enough are to set the same culture in every game that adopts it.

It gets old.

Sorry for your bad experience bud, but the reason the asshats reside is because no game has the proper risk/reward formula implemented anymore. Its all reward. Get the risk back and these supposed Red Faction PvPers would dwindle pretty much to non existance. Only the true Red players would be left standing, and you would have a serious fight, since we are used to the risk/reward.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Sorry for your bad experience bud, but the reason the asshats reside is because no game has the proper risk/reward formula implemented anymore. Its all reward. Get the risk back and these supposed Red Faction PvPers would dwindle pretty much to non existance. Only the true Red players would be left standing, and you would have a serious fight, since we are used to the risk/reward.

No, some of us just don't want to get attacked, under any circumstances, by a dick-waving asshole who thinks killing other player's characters makes them a big man.

Zero interest.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by Vunak23

No, some of us just don't want to get attacked, under any circumstances, by a dick-waving asshole who thinks killing other player's characters makes them a big man.

Zero interest.

Sounds like you got owned pretty hardcore by somebody, and no need for insults either bud, very childish. You can stick to your easy scripted fights, I like challenge and as do most PvPers. Thats why we do it, because humans are unpredictable, while an AI isn't. Go through a PVE fight once and it isn't going to change the next time around. 

Where as fighting the same class/skill set of one player is gonna differ from anothers even though they are playing the same class/skillset. 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    people don't like greifing? I like getting attacked from behind from time to time, makes the game fun...I like sneaking up on other people too.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    people don't like greifing? I like getting attacked from behind from time to time, makes the game fun...I like sneaking up on other people too.

o_O that sounds cool.  It also doesn't sound remotely like open-pvp in practice.

Open pvp is:

- getting attacked during recovery after killing a mob.

- getting attacked by 4+ players.

- getting attacked by players dozens of levels higher than you.

- having your pve objective camped by some of the above.

- being perma-mezzed/stunlocked.

- being corpse-camped.

- doing the above to someone else.

- watching the above happen to someone else without any way to help them.

---

Some people like owpvp, most don't.