Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you think you'll be playing GW2?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by bcbully
    People sure are betting a lot on DEs.

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

What's not to like about this?

Oh yeah, and it's free, unlike some games where you get charged $15 for several hour monthly (let's hope) content drops.

When you envy something your not going to like it no matter what.

Honestly though I can see some people not liking DE's it's possible.

Though just paying attention to details you'll see those who are talking shit just to start shit or those who feel threatened or I guess one could say those who are "hating."

Though it could be the person, like when GW2 releases, I won't be on other MMO game forums I'm not interested in, "hating" on the game, that shit lame, and it goes for anybody really(Yes fans of all games including GW2 lol).

It is what we thought it was... I'm a gamer man. I wanted to be wrong.  Call it what you want.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    This is the first in seeveral years time that, after a month into an MMO, I'm still excited to keep playing it.  GW2 has got me back into MMOs after a long time away.  I easily feel like I'll be preocupied with current content until the first major content patch is released.  So much of the game works so well and has given me that old fashioned feeling of MMO awe.  There's plenty that needs to be improved, but the game is already incredibly enjoyable as is, and I can't wait to see what turns into after it continues to be improved.  Factor in all the stuff they plan to add and I'm extremely excited for the future of this game.  
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Like in other games of this kind, I'll keep playing so long as my friends are still playing. To the game's credit, this is one of the first games I would really want them to stick around. This coming from a guy who was disappointed in a of lot aspects from the game. The PVP and the community pretty much saved it for me.

(IMO)Cons

1. Dynamic Events - Disappointing; expected much more.

2. Dungeons - Disappointing, feels most imcomplete; in some, it is utter chaos in a negative way; in some, it could.. be better.

3. Grind - You can buy exotics of equivalent stats (to dungeons) for a few gold. Grind for the looks is good. Those    complaining are doing it wrong. Dungeon grinding is heavy, but it's inconsequential.

4. Personal Story - Nothing special.

I was disappointed in them in that they could all have been better. Overall, fortunately or unfortunately they are still a cut above other games (except for dungeons which really need re-working).

(IMO)Pros:

5. Exploration - Good. I like how I can just roam around to level up instead of going to specific spots. To an extent you still have to, but you have a lot of options.

6. sPVP - Fun.

7. WvW - Fun. If you're playing with friends and/or organized guild/militia, it's a blast. You do not come in here going rambo and expect to have fun. Teamwork is key - anti-social soloers go to another game.

8. Environment/Aesthetics/Customization - Great. The artstyle is great. The atmosphere feels complete. The cities feel alive. The looks of characters in equivalent gear are varied.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i already stopped like weeks ago, sorry to say that the gameplay isn't what i expected it would be

good thing that this is B2P, i will definitely log in once in a while just because...

i dont know why, but this is actually one of the AAA MMO that bored me after just 2 weeks, and i have no desire even to login anymore

i cant believe i last longer in SWTOR, which is sad to be honest

but to answer your poll, most likely for 1 year, even though maybe ill login once every few months until there is a new expansion

So What Now?

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I may hang in there for a few more weeks. Game is just too shallow IMO for any long-term outlook. It's all flash and little substance unfortunately. 
  • RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I love the pvp ill be playing this title for a while unless darkfall 2.0 doesnt fail
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Will probably be my 'go to' game for PvP for many years to come, just like GW1 was. So I would say until GW3 graces us.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Only the extremely hopeful would expect to be occupied for more then 6 months in this game.

Because they arent going to have any expansions or anything?

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Difficult question, as others have said, i'll play till i stop enjoying it, then i'll stop :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Ill play it for quite a looooong time.. BUT always accompanied with other more temporary games (atm Torchlight 2, Forge (very very early alpha) and ofcourse dota 2) ... for when gw2 gets even the slightest bit boring :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • player666player666 Member Posts: 8

Until I get 100% map completion.

Endgame PVE is a horrible dungeon gear farming ( what WoW would be without the raids) and the queue for WvW takes hours.

I bought the game based on the hype and overrating previews/reviews , though not having a monthly subscription should have been a bloody hint, so... my bad.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I would be looking at around 3 motnhs for me I think.

I love the game, I think what it has achieved is amazing and the love invested in it is obvious, but at heart I am a core social PvEer. If I was more of a PvPer I could see it lasting me for years.

The fact is that by making PvP the focus of the game so strongly (which I do not criticise them for, that was their always stated plan) they have, IMO, made the group PvE part of the game suffer. I don't enjoy the group PvE set up much at all, and I don't think the instanced dungeons are amazing. I miss stronger roles in a group, amongst other things.

BUT... I think the solo (and I do consider DEs etc solo... playing alongside others is not the same as playing with them) open world content is sublime and really enjoyable.

So, with that in mind, my aim is 100% map completion, maxed out crafting, all 3 story badges, all the dungeons run in each mode at least once with each of my three characters. Once that all has been achieved the game will be done for me, until they drop in more content for me anyhow. The game will stay installed once I am done.

So, at my speed of play, around 3 months I should think, which to me is fine for a themepark. I never said the game would last me for years, and, tbh, a game dosen't have to in order to be a great game.

3 months of really enjoyable play for the box cost though? Brilliant value in my eyes.

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    I picked "several years".   I don't mean continuously but I like the game enough that I expect I'll keep coming back to it as expansions roll out and I'll play it off and on in between whenever I want to PvP or just mindlessly bash stuff some days.  :)  I'll take plenty of breaks to try other games but since there's no sub there's nothing to stop me coming and going whenever I feel the urge.
  • cogollocogollo Member Posts: 8

I'll play this game for a long time. There are two design features that please me a lot and will make come back to the game once and again:

1. Lack of subscription fee.

This means I can take my time and play only when I want to (instead of "because I have paid this month") so it will be more difficult to get fed up with the game.

2. Level balancing (i.e., your character's level adjusts to the area you are in)

This means that I will be able to always play with my friends, no matter the difference in time dedicated to the game (i.e., level of the character), so every time a new friend tries the game, we'll be able to play together, or if I have not played in a long time, I'll still be able to play in certain areas.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I havent been logging in for over a week now...

I dont know...

The game is great. Was fun up to 80. When I turned 80 it went boring pretty fast.

Bugged DE's, hour-long queue times making it impossible to join WvW, extremely end game gear grind, boring BG's.

I'm a little sad now. Was looking forward to this for months and already burned out.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

On and off in little spurts... for a long time as there is no sub and it has instant accessibility.

As a "main game", until Darkfall:UH/ArcheAge comes out.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I havent been logging in for over a week now...

I dont know...

The game is great. Was fun up to 80. When I turned 80 it went boring pretty fast.

Bugged DE's, hour-long queue times making it impossible to join WvW, extremely end game gear grind, boring BG's.

I'm a little sad now. Was looking forward to this for months and already burned out.

I'm lvl 80 now for over a week. Still can't wait to get home and continue playing.

I'm not planning out a Legendary, I'll wait and see how possible it is first. I'm not even planning to grind dungeons but I have done serveral of them because they are fun. When my friends are online and they want to do a dungeon then I logonto my main Guardian to clear them. I'm still looking forward to the dungeon's I haven't seen yet. I just bought a full set of lvl 80 rare gear for my character, (2.5 gold), and slotted it with rare runes (1 gold total). A friend crafted me the jewels i needed. I don't feel the need to rush for my excotic set, i'm having nice gear now with 100% added magic find. I'll be taking my time now, doing what i want to do, not doing what i "should do" to progress to exotic & legendary...

We are also still clearing out Orr and visiting the parts we haven't seen yet. We try to do this in a team of 5 people again. Had a blast last weekend doing dynamic events over there and killing several champion's on our own or with other guilds we come across over there.

In between, i'm working on my 100% map completion but once again without a rush. I have 3 crafts at lvl 400 now so I'm crafting potions & foodbuffs for my guild and selling every other material with a nice value on the TP. I made +5 gold from 8 hours of play during the weekend.

I have just done some WvW over the weekend. I laugh at the people who felt the need to join the most popular WvW servers of all while I joined an unpopular WvW server on purpose. Those others have queue's to login, I have none. Those others have full map control with only big keeps to take over with a zerg. My server has noting on most maps, yet I log in with 2 friends and we make some guerillia warfare with the 3 of us. Hit'n run. Kill doljak's, block their supply routes and take over small supply camps. Trying to progress along "stealthy" between their big camps and move along very fast, never stay anywhere for too long. Watching the big zergs of other 2 servers from a distance, scouting, and killing the people who get left behind 1 by 1. We made so much kills yesterday, more than 40 i think in a very short time, while actually knowing that we killed them and not a whole "zerg". Got serveral badges of honor too. I died only 3 times, of which my other team members were able to run away and get back to me for rezzing after a while. Only 1 team whipe where we had to restart from the beginning. Really if you don't like your WvW login que, you should move over to a small pop server with friends. So much more fun.

And then there's my Norn Warrior alt who's currently lvl 15 and I can't wait to play him again so I can have him at lvl 80 as well as my Asura Guardian and then I can pick and switch between those two depending if i want to play a more supportive role or a more dps role. First time ever in an MMO i have so much fun leveling an alt. Not everything is different on the 2nd run but there are still plenty of other things to discover. I'm sure my Warrior won't be the last one I'll level up, more alts will come.

Still convinced I'll be playing this game for years to come.

Been watching my map yesterday and talking about it with friends who didn't play GW1. Told them how much I look forward to step into the Ring of Fire agani or the Crystal Desert or Maguma Wastes ... all those area's in Tyria who are familiar to us but who are not available yet even though GW2 is already such a HUGE game. 

PS: I don't think I'll even be buying any other game in the years to come except if there would be a GW2 expantion. I just don't have the time to play 2 games next to each other and I would rather put another 60€ in GW2's cash shop than spend it on another MMO. I'm even more than sure that I'll never again spend money on a sub. MMO ever...

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I can see myself playing this for a long time to come. I prefer it to GW1 which I played for several years off and on.

I will play GW2 more frequently, but perhaps not as a main MMO.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Ethos I play for WvW, aka 8 hour wait time.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Till i reached endgame when I was still in the middle leves I was already planning my alts names (Already have 4 alts with names ready) but after reaching the cap and seeing so many grind on tokens, huge amount of gold needed (Not that big of a problem) and how there isn't much to do when wvwvw is most of the times full I started to lose hope on getting another alt.

Most tough because I got an 80 mesmer which I can melee or range so if I start a new alt I'll pretty much will be doing the same thing just with different armour and animations. (Tough I really want to see this charr story many people say is gritty I just can't find a siutable class for the damn thing because i want him barechested as he looks better but you can't unless you don't equip armour..)

As I told you. Join another server with a lower WvW population and no waiting time.

I changed from EU "Far Shiverpeaks" to "Piken Square". Yes we lose most of the battles, as a server, but as individual I feel I do make much more of a difference with my small strike team and it's fun. And at least... I get to play instead of waiting ;).

Originally posted by Ethos86

As I told you. Join another server with a lower WvW population and no waiting time.

I changed from EU "Far Shiverpeaks" to "Piken Square". Yes we lose most of the battles, as a server, but as individual I feel I do make much more of a difference with my small strike team and it's fun. And at least... I get to play instead of waiting ;).

Is it still free to transfer?

Originally posted by Ethos86

Is it still free to transfer?

I haven't heard that they would have stopped. On the internet I found this:

They said that the free transfers will end when they release the "Server guesting"... aka free transfers will end when you can play with friends on other servers via the guesting system... could be one week could be one month but obviously people will want the guesting system sooner rather then later.

So I guess free server transfer is still on.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174

Will be playing GW2 until either GW3 time comes or Titan, PS2 or EQNext launches and lives up to my expectations, even then GW2 will be dowtime/side-play.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by tank017

several years lol....

thats laughable.

I'll be playing for several years. Let me get a vile of laughing gas for you. You'll need it for the next 3-5 years as you suffocate from the deoxidation of your brain due to your constant laughing. At which point you will fall over and I will loot your body to receive 14 globs of goopy goop, 12 bolts of linen, Strong Boots of the Wanderer, +50 power Vest, and a Greater Ring of Vitality.