Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf weird game!

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by zastroph

I am lvl 18, and was almost impossible to do the lvl 8 story quest, I did get through it, but now find that the next quest give me no chance what so ever of completion!

PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

Takes some time to get used to the fact that you can just stand there and take hits.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• demzdemz Member Posts: 25

To be fair to the OP defense mechanics are fairly weak in the game. You have two dodge chances before you have to wait awhile and, honestly, encounters are obviously not designed with that very mechanic in mind. There is usually more incoming damage than you can possible hope to ever dodge. I think some personal stories are easy and some obscenely difficult. The strategy if you cannot find help seems to be die over and over. A battle of attrition and gold. 

Personal does imply just that, to me at any rate. A personal story that you as the hero as supposed to journey through. It does not have to be easy but simply making it insanely difficult is the polar opposite. And let us take this "get a group" mentality and apply it to other aspects. Should you need a group for crafting simply because it is an MMO? The best items require a group to craft, sorry! Where do you draw your arbitrary lines as far as grouping is required in an MMO? It is called a PERSONAL story not a find a group story.  If you had no friends (or random strangers) why would your personal story involve them?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Go ahead chew my head off, I know the trolls will love this post!

So, what is the point in levelling, when you get put down to what the creators decided was a suitable level for doing the quests, especially the story part!

I am lvl 18, and was almost impossible to do the lvl 8 story quest, I did get through it, but now find that the next quest give me no chance what so ever of completion! It teleport you all over the room, and does damage at the same time. With no way to recover health, it is impossible to get anywhere at all on the quest!

Usually if I have problems getting through a particular quest, I just go and grind till I get a bit better equipped, but this is not the way this game works. A great idea when fighting pvp, but pve = huge fail!!!

Interesting. I had the opposite experience.

I beat about 90% of the game's content  in about 2 weeks. The only thing I didn't do was get a Legendary and farm for cosmetic gear.

I found this game to be the most casual friendly mmo I have played. It's good for a short time but has little to hold you long term.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

So, what is the point in levelling, when you get put down to what the creators decided was a suitable level for doing the quests, especially the story part!

I am lvl 18, and was almost impossible to do the lvl 8 story quest, I did get through it, but now find that the next quest give me no chance what so ever of completion! It teleport you all over the room, and does damage at the same time. With no way to recover health, it is impossible to get anywhere at all on the quest!

Usually if I have problems getting through a particular quest, I just go and grind till I get a bit better equipped, but this is not the way this game works. A great idea when fighting pvp, but pve = huge fail!!!

Put some defensive utility skills on your second bar that you have gained through leveling. Put/respec your traits into some other trait line that helps you stay alive. Cook regen food and eat it before doing the bit. Level even more to get armour piece in every slot, it really does help even with scaling. And the last is, ask help.

If none of that helps, then learn to play.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

Tried getting someone to help you?

You know...a group? In an MMO? No?

good luck with that one. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Interesting. I had the opposite experience.

I beat about 90% of the game's content  in about 2 weeks. The only thing I didn't do was get a Legendary and farm for cosmetic gear.

I found this game to be the most casual friendly mmo I have played. It's good for a short time but has little to hold you long term.

I believe your interpretation of content might be different than most folks that are playing the game. But, glad you were able to achieve your own goals! As long as you got your money's worth thats what counts.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by bcbully

good luck with that one. 

I find it easy. You just ask and they help. This game is no different than any other mmorpg that you need help in. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Ocenica
    Originally posted by Kost

Correct!

You can't rely on gear upgrades and outleveling content as a crutch for success in this game, your success rests solely on the merits of your ability as a player.

You failed alright, but it wasn't due to any fault on the part of the game, it was simply because you're bad. If the level 8 personal story quest was too much of a challenge for you I suggest that you hang up your hat now and exit gracefully. This isn't the game for you.

This ^

little harsh.. imho id set your traits up for all +toughness get some +toughness gear as well shoud help you live.. also most story quests(especially the early ones) you can simply respawn without losing progress so if you die just repspawn and continue

I agree.  Toughness and vitality seem to be the most important traits to focus on improving.  Especially if you're using a kind of squishy class.  My wife is an Asura Ele and had a really hard time with the lvl 8 personal story - even at lvl 18!  Her two biggest issues were not moving enough and speccing more for power than toughness.  Even just respeccing with toughness improved her chances greatly and she was able to get through it.  LOL she still has a hard time getting used to moving and fighting at the same time!

I will say that some of the early personal storylines can be pretty hard.  My wife's level 8 issue was also due to the quest being pretty damn difficult.  I watched her play that one and some of the others and that one was really hard.  So, that could be part of the issue as well.  (and before you guys jump on me for leaving her to do it by herself, we only have one computer capable of running GW2 atm!  I'm not THAT much of a jerk!)

Anyway, maybe the respeccing and/or better movement during combat will help you out.  Good luck!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by Amjoco

good luck with that one. 

I find it easy. You just ask and they help. This game is no different than any other mmorpg that you need help in. 

I've play the game too. That stuff doesn't work now. Now that the rest of the population has played the game. Not just the BWErs.

good luck with that one. 

I've play the game too. That stuff doesn't work now. Now that the rest of the population has played the game. Not just the BWErs.

I just logged out after hitting 80 today and have helped several folks. There are literally thousands of people playing everywhere, not just at the upper level areas, but starting areas also. 

Why would you think this game would be different than WoW or Rift if you need help with a quest? 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I actually agree with you. I miss going a bit higher in level so I could go back and do lower level content.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Tokken

I actually agree with you. I miss going a bit higher in level so I could go back and do lower level content.

and you can do that.. i have been doing 1-15 stuff on my ele and the content is way easier than when I was level appropriate for the zone.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

good luck with that one. 

I just logged out after hitting 80 today and have helped several folks. There are literally thousands of people playing everywhere, not just at the upper level areas, but starting areas also. 

Why would you think this game would be different than WoW or Rift if you need help with a quest? 

No one talks outside of WvW. Ofcourse if you ask enough someone will help you. For the most part though it's just not that type of game. If you have a quest in WoW or RIFT (since you would like to talk about this, I will.) there are people around doing different things in the area. For example you have a quest to go to the base and kill the boss, there will be other people around who maybe killing the under boss or collecting something. You can just send them a tell and it usually is not out of their way.  It's not instanced like GW2, Swtor. You stay in the game world.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

and you can do that.. i have been doing 1-15 stuff on my ele and the content is way easier than when I was level appropriate for the zone.

I don't agree. It may be easier for some professions but not all.  I would like to range of level be a bit wider.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    So because you're not able to do something well, the game sucks?  I've never agreed with this line of reasoning in any game.  GW1 was hard too, sometimes it took more than a few tries to complete content.  I swear, this is why nerfs happen.

good luck with that one. 

No one talks outside of WvW. Ofcourse if you ask enough someone will help you. For the most part though it's just not that type of game. If you have a quest in WoW or RIFT (since you would like to talk about this, I will.) there are people around doing different things in the area. For example you have a quest to go to the base and kill the boss, there will be other people around who maybe killing the under boss or collecting something. You can just send them a tell and it usually is not out of their way.  It's not instanced like GW2, Swtor. You stay in the game world.

No difference at all. You just ask any of the people in the map area. More than likely a couple will need the same personal story completed and will be glad to join in.  

Your response to Hell_Hammer was "good luck with that one" making it sound like it could never happen. It happens in every game if people ask. It's an mmorpg, just like all the other ones where cooperation is needed in completing something. 

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

good luck with that one. 

No difference at all. You just ask any of the people in the map area. More than likely a couple will need the same personal story completed and will be glad to join in.  

Your response to Hell_Hammer was "good luck with that one" making it sound like it could never happen. It happens in every game if people ask. It's an mmorpg, just like all the other ones where cooperation is needed in completing something. 

Not including the fact that you can't comparre GW2 with TOR only because your personal story quest you can't share with anyone. It is and stays your own. Noone else can join you. And this game, unlike others doesn't require groups to get credit which does fall in the other catagory.

But to be honest, if you play the game like you are by yourself, of course your never going to get a group or notice it, it's just not in your nature. If you bother to really try to get a group together, it's not as bad as you want to think. People aren't as self oriented as you make them out to be. Made a group of random people today to just attempt at killing a champion, rather than spamming map chat to do it instead. Got 5 people in a few seconds of people in and around the area. I can't imagine that if the quest is "impossible" that you wouldn't be able to find one other person in map chat that feels the same way.

And if you really think its the fact that the leveling down is gimping you that hard, then you really need to step back and look at how you are playing your specific character. Don't be so up front or just allow yourself to be taken down so easily. Or if you can't figure it out, then it probably is better that you just reroll since its clear that your not adapting well and it will only get worse as time goes on at this rate.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Cant do the things you want? Buy skills now! For only $19,95, you can now have skills!

Meh, besides the obvious trolling. Personal story quests are harder then normal events/quests, therefor either look at the problem and try to find an solution.. or get some people with you.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    If at level 18 you're having trouble downscaled to level 8, then you need to take a serious step back and learn to play the game properly as you should be flying through content.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah I actually had to wait for my friend to get to 15 before I helped him level because I was one shotting everything in the 1-15 zone as my Mesmer.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by eggy08

Not including the fact that you can't comparre GW2 with TOR only because your personal story quest you can't share with anyone. It is and stays your own. Noone else can join you. And this game, unlike others doesn't require groups to get credit which does fall in the other catagory.

Actually you could get others to help you in TOR as well.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by eggy08

Actually you could get others to help you in TOR as well.

For some of the instanced stuff. not your personal story quest however.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by evilastro

Do you often go back and do grey quests in MMOs? I find that a bit strange. The whole point of the story missions is to provide a solo challenge,

Actually that's not fair. There are people, myself included, who do grey quests in mmo's (that have that type of color coding image) because they do it for the story.

In other words, it's immaterial whether or not the quest gives challenge or "good loot" because the actual important part is the story/information that the playr gets.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

The easiest way i found to do the personal story quests, after running into a couple of roadblocks, is to make sure you keep all the npcs alive and revive as much as possible. Reviving will be your saving grace,just do it every break you get wether its inbetween waves or after a cinematic just revive revive revive. It helps tons when the npcs help damage but mostly when they draw aggro.

Once i started really paying attention to this things got easier but there were still some tuff ones, some i had to use terrain to block inc damage, had to do a lil kiting, even had to kill some things then die then return cuz some sections mobs wont respawn. Hope some of this helps.

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Acidon

One may think, that one would not require a group for the Personal Story.  

But I don't play, so perhaps "Personal Story" has a different meaning than I think.

You don't require it, at least I don't but if someone is struggling with a particular step it's an option to consider.