Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: State of the Game Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Trek Online Executive Producer Dan Stahl has published the latest edition of the State of the Game. In it, Stahl discusses what the team has accomplished in the last six months as well as gives reader and players a peek ahead at what the priorities are for the upcoming six months.

Here are some of the things we’re working on for the next 6 months:

• New Personal Advancement System with Reputation based personal projects

• New Embassy Fleet Holding with related projects and rewards

• Several new 5 and 20 man Fleet Events some of which are cross-faction team-able

• New Max Level Sector with Daily Patrols

• New Romulan Colony "Adventure Zone" – our biggest to date – includes BOFF gameplay

• Into the Hive STF – Finally fight the Borg Queen

• New Ships including the Vesta class

• New Duty Officer Pack

• New Loot

• New Foundry Spotlight feature

• New Foundry assets

• UI improvements including the Queues

• Updated Winter Event

• 3 Year Anniversary Event

Read the full letter on the Star Trek Online site.

Thanks to Rohn for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Haven't heard anything about the Personal Advancement System before this.  Sounds interesting.

New sector would be welcome, as would the new adventure zone.

They really have done a great job with improving this game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Rohn

Haven't heard anything about the Personal Advancement System before this.  Sounds interesting.

Indeed!

It's a shame, but if the game released in it's current state 2 and half years ago, it would have actually been a huge success.

It just goes to show that an MMO needs more than 2 years to develop! /sigh

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    do you still have to corkscrew to manuever through space?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Indeed!

It's a shame, but if the game released in it's current state 2 and half years ago, it would have actually been a huge success.

most mmo's are generally up to 5 years in production before any sort of release... id be shocked that startrek online was only 2 years before it was let go to the public.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by wyldmagik

Indeed!

most mmo's are generally up to 5 years in production before any sort of release... id be shocked that startrek online was only 2 years before it was let go to the public.

2 and half years to be more precise. That's all they had. So no wonder it released in the state it released in. Horribly unfinished and lacking in every way.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Indeed!

2 and half years to be more precise. That's all they had. So no wonder it released in the state it released in. Horribly unfinished and lacking in every way.

WEll. I stopped playing since it went F2P but I am not hurting the STO any since I have a life time sub.  I just can't get myself to log back in after all the lies we were fed about the Klingons.  My loss I guess.

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    i wished they would come out with the romulans as a third playable faction and bring more story content for the klingons.
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    3 years now, and i still wait for them to  make the romulan faction  playable...
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Indeed!

They made that fully aware when it released, that it was far from complete, and they said they were looking forward to getting feedback from the players, so they could shape it into the game the players want, unlike Bioware with SWTOR who shaped into a MMO what they thought the players wanted, and now is a MMO that can not seem to be expanded upon eg multiplayer space combat, as it is virtually complete

This is why I bought a LT sub at launch, and they have not failed to deliver.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am only interested for playable romulans, i don't care for other
  • ProPatriaProPatria Member Posts: 30
    How about a friggin' "starship" that can engage targets beyond 10 kilometres???
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

To an extent, I'm not sure that I'm still surprised that people continue to ask for Romulans given the state of the Klingons.  I want to be, I really want to be surprised.  I mean, look at the state of the Klingons.  Then consider adding a third playable faction?  So you'd start at level 50 and have three different ships you could fly...available in the cash shop?  Oh, wait - don't forget the Fleet variants (don't forget to stop by the cash shop for your doohickey).

As for the SotG, heh - I think the PvP thing was a massive understatement.  The KDF thing - well, obviously - and Romulans, get in line.../cough.  The Foundry...yep, keep at it - there's some good stuff there.

As for what's coming... I still want BOFF fleets.  Ahem...  :)

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Screw the Rmoulans, I want playable Borg!
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Some of the team from 38 and Paragon studios ended up here. So while i may not care for the games Cryptic has, at least they gave some people who had really bad breaks a second chance. Hopefully it is mutually beneficial for both parties.
  • JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    i dont care what anyone says, i plan on purchasing a lifetime subscription when i get the chance and i still believe it still has ton of potential to go.
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    STO has come a long way and it's really shown, more so than most games that came out in the last 4/5 years and had similar release backlashes.
  • Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

This game would have a more lasting value IMO, if it was a SFC MMO, PvP with mutiple factions, deep and involved PvP and ship power management

If your not aware of what StarFleet Command was it was RTS video game of more than 10 years ago that is based off a board game called Star Fleet Battles  (google it)

Bottom line it was where your ship had close to full functionality, Transporter bombs, Proximity torps, plasma torps, Hit and Run raids with boarding parties via transporter, Tractor beams, Tractor Repulsors, 6 Shield facings, Shield reinforcement, Damage over Range for phasers, ECM, ECCM, Shuttle Bombs, High energy turns, alot more, ect...

STO has some of those concepts but are dumbed down....I think they are appealing for masses, but the only "MASS" that STO has is the F2P concept, instead it could have appealed to a hard group of players, that want a game to master (high learning curve)

Game was based on Energy allocation, not a simple reinforce weapons/shields/speed, but power could be allocated to just 1 photon or more, some into ECCM, some more in front shield reinfocement, and a few more points into the tractor beam...you would have to sacrifice something to get more power elsewhere for example, made the combat very creative and dyanamic.

Game used to be on Mplayer, has a dedicated Fleet/Race following, hundreds of ships, from Frigates to Battleships for, the Feds, Klingons, Roms, Lyran, ISC, Gorn, Hydrans, Mirak, and Pirates. Had starbases.

Whats sad to me is that before STO came out I seen ALOT of old SFC fleets come showing back for the game, talking hundreds, after a month or so after release most of them were gone, and now I dont see any of them.... 

STO to me is really a federation fan base of regular star trek fans, its a "ok" game and I do play it from time to time, but its is shallow to say the least. Should have been more deep, if not at least like I stated about, then with something else....

I have a feeling that only about 3 to 5 devs are working on the game

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Stahl is the EP again? 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Stahl is the EP again? 

yep Stahl is big daddy again

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I really liked this game, but after the Cardassian Galor snake-oil lottery where I bought (10) keys with no ship after (6) gold lunchboxes & the Ferrengi shell-game drought that offered me (0) I concluded to just stick with their item shop or carry the freeness burden.  The game does capture the Star Trek feel time to time though during missions.  I hope the whole starbase works out well in the game too for players.  I log back in time to time, but can never get back into the habit of playing it now.  Maybe, I will attempt again if they ever, finally, get the Romulans playable.
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

Race specific missions would be interesting too...i mean, i have an orion, but all thing seen is just klingon tech everywhere(in bridges too) and kind of behavior, who want to say alway "kapla" and see you as just a "klingon"... etc. :)

Who play STO know what  i mean :)