Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MONTHLY FEE = NO GO

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by nondogg13
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars [mod edit] oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, [mod edit]

LOL at GW2 putting out $60 expansions every 6 months.  Make stuff up much?

A sub for Darkfall is laughable.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars [mod edit] oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, [mod edit]

true

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by khameleon

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

Tired of gamers saying this, who cares about GW2, its not the same game, GW2 is full of bugs as well and people have to pay to get inventory and for other items, also they are NOT gonna add as much content as any game that charges a sub, so not sure what some people are trying to prove,

Gamers today are being so cheap, I wish they would find a new hobby if they have a problem with paying for games, because I do not see anything wrong with a sub for a game  that I like, I laugh when people think F2P is free when its NOT, it costs more.

That is why LOTR and DDO make more money and there F2P how else do you think they have gotten more money LOL... People see free and think its free and they have to pull out there CC's still so guess what its not FREE!!!

well said m8

• PhaedreadPhaedread Member Posts: 27
    No some homework before you post, dont flavor of the day this....
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

LOL at GW2 putting out $60 expansions every 6 months.  Make stuff up much?

A sub for Darkfall is laughable.

Laugh away, I'll still pay it.

And I'm not even a fan of FFA full loot PVP.

Just that damn bored with the rest of the titles out there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    a month's toilet paper probably costs more than DF's sub; it's a bit of a hypocricy for one to state that he does not wish to pay  for a one-month game such a shitty amount (pun intended).
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

[mod edit]

I hope you are being sarcastic here. Paying 15 bucks a month isnt the problem, its a matter of principle. What do devs do with the money we give them. Didnt WoW go 9 months without a single content update? The only exeption to the rule is Rift. Every other sub based game is a rip off.

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

Here is my idea

1. Box Price / B2P + no monthly fee

2. monthly fee + no box / cd-key price + free expansions

These two above are both great models, but unfortunately a lot of games still follow the buy-to-pay-monthly-fee model

• Hamish909Hamish909 Member Posts: 15
    No idea why everyone seems to think P2P is dead. I personally much prefer not always having to buy stuff and being sure iv'e got the same as everyone else!
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The ONLY way a sandbox will work F2P is if its Freemium, with Free being able to only purchase stuff Premium players get and there being no perks given through that cash shop to give any advantage at all. 

P2P just ensures a more equal footing while funding the game. F2P games make money by often giving out perks, something that gives advantages that players are FAR more willing to pay for and rake in cash for the company. This can end up forcing people who DO like the game to pay actually far more then the monthly fee to get up in the top.

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40
    For the love of god... Aventurine please don't go F2P... I'll gladly pay a monthly subscription. Since DF has been around for a while, dropping the amount to $10 a month would be nice...

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    chage me monthly please!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Wheres the Pre Order Info at???? C'mon Aventurine! Take my $$!!!

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Tired of gamers saying this, who cares about GW2, its not the same game, GW2 is full of bugs as well and people have to pay to get inventory and for other items, also they are NOT gonna add as much content as any game that charges a sub, so not sure what some people are trying to prove,

Gamers today are being so cheap, I wish they would find a new hobby if they have a problem with paying for games, because I do not see anything wrong with a sub for a game  that I like, I laugh when people think F2P is free when its NOT, it costs more.

That is why LOTR and DDO make more money and there F2P how else do you think they have gotten more money LOL... People see free and think its free and they have to pull out there CC's still so guess what its not FREE!!!

Thing is, most of what you said is flat out wrong.

GW2: You dont need to pay for inventory space. Youve got plenty of it. I have yet to buy inventory space on any of my toons, same goes for many people, and many who have "bought" inventory space did it by exchanging in-game money for gems and didnt have to pay a cent. Yes GW2 has some bugs, but i wouldnt say its "full" of them, especially in comparison to most other games, including one sthat have been around for years and still havent fixed their bugs.

DDO: You dont have to spend a cent there either. You can earn Favor through questing and stuff, which earns you cash shop points to buy whatever you want. Yeah its a grind to get a lot of points, but its still free.

EVERY F2P game: Is free. Nobody is forcing you to spend the money. Do you really have so little control over yourself that you cant stop yourself from spending money on something just because there is an option to do so? Yes there are P2W games where people will out gear you if you dont pay, but that its called Free 2 Play not Free 2 Be The Strongest.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I will pay 15 bucks a month for an MMO. I have no issues in doing so. Why you ask? That is less than an hours work for me. I consider gaming my hobby and guess what people pay thousands for certain hobbys sometime so 180 a year to play isn't anything to me. I also grew up playing in arcades. I could drop 15 bucks in under an hour depending what I played especially now with some games being like 3 bucks to play. $15 for a month to play is nothing. It is a membership fee really. Kind of like BJ's or Sams Club.

Some people cannot justify paying for a game per month. That fee cuts down on the kiddies and a lot of the whiners though which is a plus at times. Also the money goes back into the company to get more content.F2P is fine too I will buy items if I want to. It shows my loyalty to the company. The money to me is not breaking the bank and it is a cheap hobby. To me it is all about having fun and playing with my friends. Even if it is for a couple months so what. I love HC PVP I will give this a go sub fee or not.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am not anxious to deal with a buggy game but consider the current state of MMOs and the overwhelming support of a dumb down "Adventure's Daycare", I will gladly pay $ 15 / month.

The other good thing about the subscription is that all the GW2 Carebear F2P people won't  try Darkfall .

Honestly just like back in the day of the EQ Legend servers most old school players would fork over way more than $ 15.00 month for a game that is biult around their playstyle.   Heck,  I'd drop $ 30.00 a month, maybe even $ 50.00...

They should make it $14.99 standard and discounts like 9.99 for those that opt in for 6 months +

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Beacker

I will pay 15 bucks a month for an MMO. I have no issues in doing so. Why you ask? That is less than an hours work for me. I consider gaming my hobby and guess what people pay thousands for certain hobbys sometime so 180 a year to play isn't anything to me. I also grew up playing in arcades. I could drop 15 bucks in under an hour depending what I played especially now with some games being like 3 bucks to play. $15 for a month to play is nothing. It is a membership fee really. Kind of like BJ's or Sams Club.

Some people cannot justify paying for a game per month. That fee cuts down on the kiddies and a lot of the whiners though which is a plus at times. Also the money goes back into the company to get more content.F2P is fine too I will buy items if I want to. It shows my loyalty to the company. The money to me is not breaking the bank and it is a cheap hobby. To me it is all about having fun and playing with my friends. Even if it is for a couple months so what. I love HC PVP I will give this a go sub fee or not.

Beacker, Id like to introduce you to this game called WoW. Millions of kiddies & whiners, all paying a sub fee. Same goes really for just about any sub game. Sub has nothing to do with it. If anything the game itself, being FFA full loot PvP, is what keeps the kiddies & whiners away. Similar thing with EVE. DF and EVE are both sub games, but so are WoW and dozens of others. Yet you wont see the same community in EVE and DF that you will in those others.

FFA PvP Corpse looting is what keeps the kiddies and care bears away. I am so GLAD that it has its own niche compared to the mainstream dump of crap mmos that claim to have pvp but its all instanced and caters to casuals. 

All meaningless pvp that grinds for gear too but still very very meaningless...Long LIVE Sandbox PVP MMO's! 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

And that is fine for you. And many people who play Darkfall will also have a copy of GW2 I suspect as well. It is a well made, popular, mass appeal title.

Darkfall is not, and never will be, a game that has mass appeal. It offers something different (saying it is full of bugs is wide of the mark by the way). And for that there is a monthly subscription - which has been used to expand the server capacity amd provide additional content and features and so forth. Very, very traditional. And not for everyone. 

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

If $15 a month is too much for a hobby you will probably spend a lot of time doing, then you need to get a job/paper round.

A free to play model doesn't fit with Darkfall, there's nothing the devs could sell that would be worth while buying without giving an in-game advantage over other players.

The game doesn't have the newest, shinest character models for people to want to purchase cosmetics.

Not everyone in DF can own a house so buying housing items is moot.

Exp bonuses are a competitive edge especially in the early meta game.

The ONLY thing I can see working is a PLEX system equilivent that lets players play for free aslong as they grind the money to buy them off players in-game. Even them it has the potential to mess up the economy with new gold magically appearing each month.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

The amount of money is not what I'm saying will be the downfall, its the buggy servers, buggy gameplay and game design issues that plagued darkfall 1. This all better be fixed for this release.

If they want us to pay $40-60 for the game and $15 a month the game has to be working well, not some buggy half game again.

With all the time they invested I am sure if this title is not more successful the comnpany would fall. 

So my hope is this time the game work great, the technology is 2nd rate(graphics, animation, sound, etc.), so the quality of the actual gameplay has to be high for the game to be fun and entertaining and not frustrating to the players.

Yes rpg lovers rate graphics, animation and sound behind gameplay and I am that way too, but if the gameplay is not great and the game is bad in those other departments, I will not pay for it.

Only a fool pays for a broken product. Doing it a 2nd time after the 1st only makes that person more of one.

AVENTURINE LISTEN AND MAKE A GREAT GAME, you will not have a 3 rd chance!!!

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'd pay 30 bucks a month if it kept certain folks out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Can't wait for this game to crash and burn like the 1st one did.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Greymoor

If $15 a month is too much for a hobby you will probably spend a lot of time doing, then you need to get a job/paper round.

A free to play model doesn't fit with Darkfall, there's nothing the devs could sell that would be worth while buying without giving an in-game advantage over other players.

The game doesn't have the newest, shinest character models for people to want to purchase cosmetics.

Not everyone in DF can own a house so buying housing items is moot.

Exp bonuses are a competitive edge especially in the early meta game.

The ONLY thing I can see working is a PLEX system equilivent that lets players play for free aslong as they grind the money to buy them off players in-game. Even them it has the potential to mess up the economy with new gold magically appearing each month.

No idea why people can't grasp simple concepts and jump to completely unrelated subjects. 

$15 a month isn't much to pay. Would you pay $15 a month to get kicked in the teeth? No, Why not? Can't afford it? 

The problem is the value, if DF was worth a monthly fee people would have stayed. Most didn't so... you can draw your own conclusions from that. My conclusion is that people didn't find it to be worth $15 a month. 

DF:UW has a lot to prove before people can see it worth a monthly fee. 

If it was simply about being able to afford $15 a month to play, then why aren't we paying a monthly sub for every MMO out there? Why aren't you playing WoW and MO? It's only $15 a month each, can you not afford it? 

Do you see how asinine something like that sounds? 

DarkFall was fun for a month or two but after the Huge server war there just wasn't much going on in comparison but to grind and grind some more. Didn't see a reason to pay a monthly fee to do that because I saw no value in it.