Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MONTHLY FEE = NO GO

Comments

• WhisperXIIIWhisperXIII Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by khameleon

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

There is no way to get what you get out of Darkfall from any of the games you listed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there may be no other game on the market today that can bring what Darkfall can in terms of large scale siege warfare. EvE certainly has similar PvP but anyone who has ever played both Darkfall and EvE will tell you they are... different, and not in a bad way.

Either way, Darkfall and GW2 is apples and oranges, by definition.

Elyse Leveque - Zealot
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by nondogg13
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars so your argument is retarded. oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, infact why are you even comparing a pussy ass game like guildwars2 to darkfall.

Oh sweet, so DF:UW is going to give us an expantion the size of a GW expantion for that $60 every 6 months? Then yeah, sign me up. Or were you comparing getting the equivilant of another game for $60 to paying $60 every 6 months to continue playing the exact same thing? 

I have nothing against pay to play, but I couldn't let that asinine comparison go by without a word. 

holyshit your dumb the monthly fee of darkfall goes to the upkeep of a persistant world. there are weekly changes to mobs, drops , skills, and most importantly constantly evolving pvp. instead of worrying about more rides for thier theme park the dev of darkfall focus all of their attention evolving thier game based on what the players feel should be happening. i don't know how many times an idea first posted about in darkfall forums eventually makes it way into darkfall code. i have been subbed to darkfall now since na launch, in that span of time ive tryed many games(the best ones being p2p like tera and rift) and not a single game pulled me away from darkfall. i will repeat saying that guildwars 2 is cheaper then darkfall is a retarded statment all content aside, then if you compare a persistant sandbox full loot open pvp game to a theme park im going to have to refer to my previous conclusion .....retarded

It's apparent one of us is... 

A games a game, one doesn't requiore more of an upkeep than the other. Sandbox, themepark, it actually doesn't matter. 

Your statement wasn't about themepark vs. sandbox, your statement was about upkeep. And those patches you speak of... every MMO has them, not just sandboxes. 

Nice try though :) 

In the end DF ran it's course once. It's got something to prove before it can justify box price + monthly fee in my eyes. 

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

The game will costs 9,99 dollars a months without having to buy a box.. they have already announced this a long time ago.

I find this very cheap, also f2p is not a option for a game like this and they have also talking about this themselves.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Cashshop in a sandbox? Cosmetic items in a full loot game?

The devs need to make money to keep the servers running, to pay their teams to improve the game, etc. I rather pay a monthly fee to "support" them.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Lol 120 dollars a year + expansion money if there was such a thing in that game.

Guild wars 0 per year + expansion money (aka expanded content that you can optionally buy)

Incidentally I played gw1 on and off for 7 years and got all expansions for under 80 dollars.

Money doesnt mean anything, I just want a good sandbox. If people play games mainly cuz of money (and the fee isnt that much) then theyre being to narrow

• wuthdwuthd Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Lol 120 dollars a year + expansion money if there was such a thing in that game.

Guild wars 0 per year + expansion money (aka expanded content that you can optionally buy)

Incidentally I played gw1 on and off for 7 years and got all expansions for under 80 dollars.
    in gw if u want to play pvp or continue the story in pve u have to buy the expansion....
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

um april 2005 release.

next expantion 2006 april.

next expantion 2006 october.

next expansion 2007 august 10 months later.

then nothing from there on, well nothing of value that they could market and sell too you.

yeah i'll stay with p2p and the staffs that upkeep and change games, just look at lineage 2 p2p until like a year ago and they gave a major content update every 6 months. darkfall does about the same.

guildwars updates are driven by lore and storyline. darkfall is driven by changing mechanics to make the game play better(all though av is touting more lore driven content in uw lol).

oh and edit lol incase you were wondering thats 60+60+60+60 or 60 x 4 240  dollars in the span of what 2 years 4 mounts then you got nothing from there on. hmmm guess my math wasn't that far off :o

Its funny watching you try to make things up about GW when its clear you never played the original for any decent period of time.

Its pretty clear you dont really play Darkfall either. I played it and enjoyed it for a long time, but free content updates? Please. Adding in stuff that was SUPPOSED to be in at launch, and fixing broken things is not adding new content, its adding what should have already been there. They made some small tweaks here and there over the past 2-3 years, but aside from changing siege stuff there wasnt much of anything "new" done. As far as upkeep.... Oh you mean like being unable to optimize their game to play decently on anything but a very high end system even years after release? Rampant cheating throughout the game like the lag switch guilds with nothing done about them? Yeah. Great upkeep.

Theres a reason why even those who want a FFA full loot PvP game left DF. As fun as the game was, they ran it poorly. Hopefully they can pull it together for UW.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think what people forget is that F2P or B2P in the long run actually ends up costing you more than P2P.  $15 a month isn't bad at all, and it can go down to $10 a month on some games, when you buy in bulk months. I pay a little less than $20 a month for both Rift and WoW from buying year at a time, and I still have founders pricing in Rift.  i can buy a year at a time, because I know I'm not really going to go to any other game for longer than a couple of months anyways.

As for F2P or B2P,  there's already people complaining about GW2 is making people buy from the store to be any good at WvW.  F2P has always been expensive.  I can remember back when MapleStory first came out, I probably spent about $1k on that game lol.  That's equal to about 100 months of WoW subscription, and I didn't play MapleStory longer than that.

It could be worse though.  Way back in the day in Neverwinter Nights, you had to pay for the time you were logged in...and that got expensive.  I'll happily pay my $20 a month for 2 games, as long as I'm having fun.

Maplestory started as a full cosmetic cash shop game, i should know i was rank 41 in global back when it took 15 hours to make a level. Wherever you used that money on, it wasnt on the cash shop.

Oh an also there are a lot of games that have completely fluff cash shops with no PW2 options. There are both sides of the spectrum.

If this game has a monthly fee i expect it to have the same kind of updates as rift does otherwise its just a ripoff.

While i agree that not every game can be B2p or ftp (specially sandboxes) in the monthly fee department rift has set a new standard of delivery of content.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

you'll find that most people that play Darkfall actually want a game with a monthly fee and saying a game as solid as GW2 to the Darkfall community adds laughter to your post..

There's very little Darkfall could have in the way of an online store without making it pay to win...so, montly fee is totally fine with me. 

As far as graphics?  Really?  It's a sandbox, a massive world...the graphics are great considoring the world size...did you expect Tera style graphics when you will ahve battles of 500 vs 500?  Then you'd complain about stability in the server.  Also, any owpvp sanbox lover will tell you Darkfall was great...Aventurine pissed us off a lot...but the game has always had a population.  Even when we've complained about a population...there were still a decent number of people there...just the map was so big it didn't seem like it.

Your post is silly...

*for the records, every game that is f2p that I have played,...I spent more monthly money in than I do with subscription based games.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• NormantisNormantis Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by afhn2110

you'll find that most people that play Darkfall actually want a game with a monthly fee and saying a game as solid as GW2 to the Darkfall community adds laughter to your post..

There's very little Darkfall could have in the way of an online store without making it pay to win...so, montly fee is totally fine with me. 

As far as graphics?  Really?  It's a sandbox, a massive world...the graphics are great considoring the world size...did you expect Tera style graphics when you will ahve battles of 500 vs 500?  Then you'd complain about stability in the server.  Also, any owpvp sanbox lover will tell you Darkfall was great...Aventurine pissed us off a lot...but the game has always had a population.  Even when we've complained about a population...there were still a decent number of people there...just the map was so big it didn't seem like it.

Your post is silly...

*for the records, every game that is f2p that I have played,...I spent more monthly money in than I do with subscription based games.

+1

What is this GW2 you speak of?  Is it McDonalds new hamburger?

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368
    The monthly guarantees that Aventurine gets paid and can focus on developing the game instead of developing shitty eye candy and useless crap for the cash shop so they can stay alive.
  • FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555

$15 a month is a very fair price for quality entertainment. I imagine Darkfall is one of the toughest games imaginable to come up with a FTP, cash shop system, so they shouldn't even try. Full loot on death pretty much throws away the idea of buying in-game items from a cash shop.

Darkfall Online has been poorly supported the last few years because almost the entire development team at the company has been putting all their time into Darkfall: Unholy Wars. This game is 2 1/2 to 3 years of development with most of the company's staff. That gets my hopes high.

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

I have spent at least $1,000 on Darkfall I would guess between client purchases and monthly subscription fees, and I would happily buy Darkfall:UW and pay a monthly fee.

Why? Because despite Darkfall 1.0 having some major flaws, it was STILL the best MMO on the market if you enjoy full loot and PVP. Also, because it would keep morons like the OP out of my server.

• KingKioKingKio Member Posts: 27

I disagree, your opinion is your own but your comparisans are ridiculous.

Kio.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Okay, the mists are that way------------------------------------->

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

For those that think F2P with cash shop will never work, you haven't played Ashen Empires.  Granted it's a really old game, but it's F2P upto level 100, then you have to buy expansions to get level 105 and 110, but it's still pretty much F2P with a nice cash shop.  The most bought items are exp boosts, and cosmetic items for your house or things like name changes for items...The game's been holding steady and has a good crowd of normal players that log in everyday.  And it's even more Sandbox than DF1.  There's litterally like maybe 30 quests in the entire game that are static.  Most are in the tutorial or Valinor Island to teach you how things work.  There are random quests that spawn with npcs wanting you to take them somewhere or go fetch something for them, but hte majority of people just kill stuff...and other players hehe.

Edit: I forgot to mention, on the pvp server it's FFA with full loot, except on equipped items, but you have a chance to drop equipped items as well, unless you use cash shop to make an item undroppable.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Cool...sitck to GW2 and your cruddy f2p item mall games then.

I like the monthly sub since it keeps a lot of players i dont want to be around out.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Charge me please.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WarinQuinnWarinQuinn Member Posts: 7
    Take my money, take whatever you need to make it the best game possible T_T
  • fredde123fredde123 Member Posts: 4
    im throwning money at the screen but nothing is happening... I dont care if there is a monthly fee, i just want to play!!
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Any game which features FFA full loot PvP will always be a failure because its about as niche an audience as you can get.  This is the main reason why there isnt a AAA sandbox because they all follow this model.  Until a Dev team can implement a truely PvE sandbox exoerience then all sandboxes will fail.

Nope. there's a market. May be niche, but it's there.

I agree, and way to be out of touch with your own gaming community Zylaxx.

How has DayZ turned a small indie FFA sandbox shooter, full of bugs, into one of the biggest gaming development trends of today?  Is it because, as you say, the sandbox crown is niche and is always doomed to failure?  You now have WarZ in competiion and I bet it won't be long before we see a new zombie MMO come down the pipeline.  Oh yeah, and both of those games have FFA full loot PvP.

How is it that both SWG and UO (FFA full loot PvP) managed upwards of 300 thousand subs, and by the way, before World of Warcraft launched to turn MMO's into mainstream entertainment, drawing millions of gamers to the scene?  Why is it that you can create a Sanbox Vs. Themepark thread on any gaming forum and have it turn into the biggest and most hotly debated thread on the site?  It must surely be because most gamers aren't interested in sandbox play.

Darkfall has stayed alive, barely.  The population problems have less to do with FFA, full loot PvP in my opinion.  A lot of it is on the combat mechanics side, it's counter-intuitive and not fluid at all.  There is no skill cap, preventing hackers and exploiters from gaining an unfair advantage, the GUI is god-awful,  It's not a very good player economy due to being able to master all crafting trees as one character, and the game is just poorly designed for new players.  Not to mention, now the graphics are getting dated at this point.  

There are thousands, if not millions of people like myself.  Sitting, and waiting for a good MMO to come around.  As nothing out there right now is anything more than WoW with a few tweaks to make it seem different.  We are starting to see development in many areas begin to go back to gaming roots.  It starts with things like Archage, like DayZ and WarZ, the continuation of Darkfall.  And hopefully ends with a company with the means, taking a chance.

Mainstream MMO's have no soul.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Any game which features FFA full loot PvP will always be a failure because its about as niche an audience as you can get. 

This is were you NPC killers are wrong.

All AAA themeparks fail because players are bored to death with that kind of mmos. Just look at the success of the AAA themeparks after WOW, and you`ll see they all more or less failed. AOC, WAR, SWTOR and many others fell flat on the floor, and they had big budgets and loads of developers.

Then look at at a tiny ffa full-loot game called DayZ. That game is based on an ARMA2 mod, and have had more than 1 million unique users. If a ffa full-loot mmo had the same love, developers and money as the themeparks, I bet they would make money. Darkfall 1 sold a lot of copys, but sadly it was the worst grind in the history of mmos. No pvpers want to kill 20000 boring NPCS just to pvp, so they all left.

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Falconoffury

$15 a month is a very fair price for quality entertainment. I imagine Darkfall is one of the toughest games imaginable to come up with a FTP, cash shop system, so they shouldn't even try. Full loot on death pretty much throws away the idea of buying in-game items from a cash shop.

Just based on the info I have, I could easily think up a tierd sub model for DF:UW, with no cash shop. I can do this because I know what I'm talking about, despite never having been involved with the game's development. I am uniquely qualified to do this, because I declare myself so.

Here we go:

Bronze Tier- Free players who never paid a sub:

-Skill gains reduced to a 75% rate

-Gold limit.

-Can join, but not create, Clans.

-Cannot switch class roles. Once a role is chosen for a character, that role can never be changed.

-1 character slot.

-Cannot use global chat channels.

-Limited Forum access.

Silver Tier- Former Subscribers.

-Gold limit removed.

-Can Create and Join Clans.

-My switch class roles.

-May keep any characters they had as a sub, but they do not get characters slots back if they delete their characters. They are still limited to 1 slot if they have no characters.

-Can use global chat channels.

-Greater forum access.

Gold Tier- Standard Sub.

Same benefits as silver, plus:

- Gain skills at a normal rate.

- Unlimited number of character slots.

- More slots for use in the AH.

-Full forum access

Platinum Tier- Premium Sub.

Same benifits as Gold, Plus:

-Gains skills at a 120% rate.

-Party Memebers gain skills 10% faster. (does not stack)

- Beta Client access.

See? FTP without cash shops or Pay To Win. I R SMRT. Worship me. WOOORSHHHIIIIPPPP MEEEEEEEE!!!! >:-O

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    Originally posted by Falconoffury

Just based on the info I have, I could easily think up a tierd sub model for DF:UW, with no cash shop. I can do this because I know what I'm talking about, despite never having been involved with the game's development. I am uniquely qualified to do this, because I declare myself so.

Here we go:

Bronze Tier- Free players who never paid a sub:

-Skill gains reduced to a 75% rate

-Gold limit.

-Can join, but not create, Clans.

-Cannot switch class roles. Once a role is chosen for a character, that role can never be changed.

-1 character slot.

-Cannot use global chat channels.

-Limited Forum access.

Silver Tier- Former Subscribers.

-Gold limit removed.

-Can Create and Join Clans.

-My switch class roles.

-May keep any characters they had as a sub, but they do not get characters slots back if they delete their characters. They are still limited to 1 slot if they have no characters.

-Can use global chat channels.

-Greater forum access.

Gold Tier- Standard Sub.

Same benefits as silver, plus:

- Gain skills at a normal rate.

- Unlimited number of character slots.

- More slots for use in the AH.

-Full forum access

Platinum Tier- Premium Sub.

Same benifits as Gold, Plus:

-Gains skills at a 120% rate.

-Party Memebers gain skills 10% faster. (does not stack)

- Beta Client access.

See? FTP without cash shops or Pay To Win. I R SMRT. Worship me. WOOORSHHHIIIIPPPP MEEEEEEEE!!!! >:-O

Not really viable to make enough money in this game, especially long term. A sub fee is just standard for a sandbox game like this, brings in a steady amount of money, everyone is on a level playing field.

What you're really wanting is a free trial... and like before I'm sure there will be on sometime after release.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Tired of gamers saying this, who cares about GW2, its not the same game, GW2 is full of bugs as well and people have to pay to get inventory and for other items, also they are NOT gonna add as much content as any game that charges a sub, so not sure what some people are trying to prove,

Gamers today are being so cheap, I wish they would find a new hobby if they have a problem with paying for games, because I do not see anything wrong with a sub for a game  that I like, I laugh when people think F2P is free when its NOT, it costs more.

That is why LOTR and DDO make more money and there F2P how else do you think they have gotten more money LOL... People see free and think its free and they have to pull out there CC's still so guess what its not FREE!!!