Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf weird game!

zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Go ahead chew my head off, I know the trolls will love this post!

So, what is the point in levelling, when you get put down to what the creators decided was a suitable level for doing the quests, especially the story part!

I am lvl 18, and was almost impossible to do the lvl 8 story quest, I did get through it, but now find that the next quest give me no chance what so ever of completion! It teleport you all over the room, and does damage at the same time. With no way to recover health, it is impossible to get anywhere at all on the quest!

Usually if I have problems getting through a particular quest, I just go and grind till I get a bit better equipped, but this is not the way this game works. A great idea when fighting pvp, but pve = huge fail!!!

Comments

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

Tried getting someone to help you?

You know...a group? In an MMO? No?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    you are much stronger when downleveled compared to being that level if your traits are up to speed and skills as well.. Yes you get downleveled but with my ele which is 35 fighting in 1-15 zones is WAY easier than when I was level 1-15.. not so easy I'm 1 shotting everything but surely way easier where I feel much more powerfull

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by zastroph

So, what is the point in levelling, when you get put down to what the creators decided was a suitable level for doing the quests, especially the story part!

I am lvl 18, and was almost impossible to do the lvl 8 story quest, I did get through it, but now find that the next quest give me no chance what so ever of completion! It teleport you all over the room, and does damage at the same time. With no way to recover health, it is impossible to get anywhere at all on the quest!

Usually if I have problems getting through a particular quest, I just go and grind till I get a bit better equipped, but this is not the way this game works. A great idea when fighting pvp, but pve = huge fail!!!

Correct!

You can't rely on gear upgrades and outleveling content as a crutch for success in this game, your success rests solely on the merits of your ability as a player.

[mod edit]

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Honestly, if you're getting caught up on the level 8 story, it has nothing to do with your level. I started an alt a while ago and I have been doing all the story missions a few levels above me. I usually do hearts, some events and then do the mission even if I am two or three levels below.

The games is an easy wlk up until level 40 when you change focus to the dragons. At that point, you should always be the same level as your mission if you don't want to spend silvers on repairs.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

as said before, this aint azeroth anymore, dorotie.

you cant just stand around and nuke enemies. you need to move. 

and during the personal story there is at least one enemy that requires you to move CONSTANTLY, since he nukes you as soon he hits you.

uh, and i acutally like that downgrading, this way you cant just make a high lvl char and that easily complete everything - it's still a challange.

ps: the fail is not on arena net's side here :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

Good idea, when you can, but what if no one else is interested, too busy doing their own stuff.

Helping them is great but will not help you, as you still need to do your own stuff as well!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Ask for help or learn to play your class better...

That's the difference with this game and most of the others. In others you do what you said, grind till you get better gear or higher lvl. But in gw2 you gotta learn how to play better and adopt to the situation to pass something, skills > gear and that's what I love about this game.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Do you often go back and do grey quests in MMOs? I find that a bit strange. The whole point of the story missions is to provide a solo challenge, which obviously they have achieved. You have two options:

1) Play better. Get a better build or use a better weapon for that scenario. 

2) Get someone to help you. Its a MMO... be social.

Furthermore, the story quests are 100% optional. You can get all the way to 80 without touching them. What is the point in levelling? To unlock traits and skills, thats pretty much it, also the lower level areas act as a tutorial for higher level ones where you are expected to know your class and how to play.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I ran into the same thing as the OP. On my 2nd and 3rd char I did the story when it was the right level and it was easy.

I think that it's just that at 18 it's a weak spot in the progression and they downgrade you to a point of weakness, but you don't have the superior skills yet to match the dungeon. Try again a bit later and I'd bet it goes more smoothly.

Asdar

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Kost

Correct!

You can't rely on gear upgrades and outleveling content as a crutch for success in this game, your success rests solely on the merits of your ability as a player.

You failed alright, but it wasn't due to any fault on the part of the game, it was simply because you're bad. If the level 8 personal story quest was too much of a challenge for you I suggest that you hang up your hat now and exit gracefully. This isn't the game for you.

This ^

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    This guy sucks.
    Originally posted by Ocenica

Correct!

You failed alright, but it wasn't due to any fault on the part of the game, it was simply because you're bad. If the level 8 personal story quest was too much of a challenge for you I suggest that you hang up your hat now and exit gracefully. This isn't the game for you.

This ^

little harsh.. imho id set your traits up for all +toughness get some +toughness gear as well shoud help you live.. also most story quests(especially the early ones) you can simply respawn without losing progress so if you die just repspawn and continue

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

Correct!

I'm going to use this post in the future in any conversation I need proof you're an ass.

You're stuck in the lvl 8 story quest too and you're mad or what is this ? :p

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

One may think, that one would not require a group for the Personal Story.  

But I don't play, so perhaps "Personal Story" has a different meaning than I think.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by 9ineven
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

Correct!

I'm going to use this post in the future in any conversation I need proof you're an ass.

You're stuck in the lvl 8 story quest too and you're mad or what is this ? :p

No. Just no.

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Personal stories aren't supposed to be easy, but they aren't supposed to be so overpowered it's impossible to do it. I've gotten my thief up to 80 and finished his personal story. I did struggle a few times but once I adjusted my tactics I got through ok. You just have to fiddle around and find what works best. Make good use of the dodge, and maybe try out new skills or a weapon set. Kiting is sometimes mandatory for a boss.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

You can't play GW2 pve like other mmo's when facing difficult opponents or you'll get an early dirty nap.

You have to use your full range of abilities and you need to learn to dodge and kite....dear god dodge-and-move makes or breaks encounters. I have found i can beat the tough fights by utilising the skills my class has to pick from and improving my own play style, christ i couldn't dodge for toffee when i first started, i kept mistiming it all or dodging when i didn't need to and wasting end, now i can dodge and out manouver my enemies just fine and it makes everything more enjoyable, even pvp.

Outlevelling/outgearing a challenge is the lazy-ass old mmo way of dealing with things you need to actually beat using some small amount of skill or thought.

If you want to make solo encounters easier (however, most scale), join a group or ask friends for help. GW2 is one of those games pretty much any passing player will help out if you ask and most will even group and follow into a story instance if you simply ask them.

When you get to dungeons there is no trinity, you NEED to dodge and move to survive, if you don't, you'll have quite an unenjoyable time of it.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• i have all 8 classes and all are higher on the personal story then this. it really is a L2P issue, and i really hate saying that. you can't just sit back and burn crap down in this game. you need to time your dodges, heals, and any CC type abilitites you have. the higher in level you get, the harder the personal story tended to be. my ele is 80 and i noticed it getting harder as time went by. a lil gear does help though. don't run around with your level 1-3 gear or anything. try and find some vendor cost upgrades in the TP if you're having trouble. also make sure you aren't just using a weapon combo because it's fun, but rather use what works for that specific story quest. i change my build up fairly often for the best advantage.

hope this helped.

This may sound fairly silly or obvious, but it happened to me until I got used to the skill system.

I am used to having all my skills displayed in the hotbar - what I don't have there, I don't have anywhere. This was purely something that was subconciously drilled into my mindset from other games.

To put it simply - I kept forgetting to change utility skills because I wasn't used to doing that in other games.

After a few days I got used to the GW2 skill system and ofc there was noticeable change in my survivability ratio.

So if something doesn't work, try different skills. Experiment, change your tactics.

It's just a matter of getting used to a new system.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

^

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    So what about the boss quests then, I am not the only one having trouble. One quest I tried was super troll, there was about 10 players as well as npc's all trying to kill this thing. It killed all of us and had very little damage its self!
    So what about the boss quests then, I am not the only one having trouble. One quest I tried was super troll, there was about 10 players as well as npc's all trying to kill this thing. It killed all of us and had very little damage its self!

what class are you? some classes are much easier to solo personal stories than others.. if yuo are having a lot of trouble i'd give warrior or ranger a shot they to me are the two easiest. My ranger has been doing personal story quest +3 his level.. my ele struggled at many of the same level.. if all else fails just group with someone to get past it.. or you just need to get better with your class.

Ehm...well, let me just say it very directly:

You simply can't win every fight.

People wipe, it happens. Bad tactics and coordination, bad equipment, badly timed lag spikes, bad pulls or just plain simple bad luck.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Acidon

One may think, that one would not require a group for the Personal Story.  

But I don't play, so perhaps "Personal Story" has a different meaning than I think.

It's a Personal Story, not a Private Story.

OP It is fine to ask for help in an MMO! :)

Edit: took out part where I would help! he did it :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

They did this to give the game a relative challenge no matter what your level is, as opposed to being able to be max level and 1 hit everything.

The story mode missions are meant to be a moderate challenge, some are harder than others and you really have to strategize to win rather than tank n spank like you would be used to.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".