Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people who like PvP do for the first month in EVE, since they can't PvP?

BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

lol... Totally serious question.

I mean, maybe I'm misinformed, but I've tried the trial a few times, and every time it was pretty much "oh, gotta wait a few weeks before I even bother with PvP".

Can anyone actually outline the requirements an EVE player should cover before they bother with looking for a corp and starting to PvP? Or am I way off in the 1-month guesstimate? Is it sooner, or.... longer?

When I tried a while ago, I liked ECM in Caldari boats. Not too sure about the current state of ECM in PvP.

Comments

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

PvP from day one is just not realistic in any proper MMO. Simple pvp like that i can get from games like World of tanks. In Eve you will ned isk/money and a few skills to get started, and your better off getting to know the game a little better before putting yourself and the ship up for a beating.

Getting into a player corp early will in many cases make access to T1 ship much easier and cheaper if not for free.

in two weeks time you ready for some action. Factional warfare should provide some action.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I just can't remember that far back - it was early 2005.  Back then though, there were still suiKessies.  Heh, kind of miss those.  I had my first run in with a pirate.  He killed me.  I built a suiKess.  I hunted him down and killed him when he was otherwise engaged...ahem.  I looted enough from him that I was able to start my corp before the first week was up.  Have to keep in mind though, the pop back then was low.  Folks were cheering peak CCUs just north of 10k.  So I did a lot of exploring that you just could not do these days (well, the paths have changed as well since then).

Beneath what some would call a layer of slime in EVE, there's a nifty community - there are many folks that will take you under their wing to show you the ropes with the hope that at some point you might do the same...basically building the community.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

You can just don't expect to run out on your own and kill everything in site.  Join a PvP corp that accepts new players and they'll get started.

There are many guides to this as well (look at Eve Uni).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you really want to PVP in EVE sooner rather than later, consider joining Red vs Blue, heavy emphasis on Frigate combat...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6408

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

when I started playing with an alt,i am pvp first day

It was  3 years ago,noobs in Amarr Imperial Academy,npc corp, make pvp events.Huge noob fleet attacking pirates in low sec systems.It was funy time.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

It takes you only a few days to train for all that's needed to be useful in fleets.

All you need is a small fast frigate with a MWD and scrambler/disruptor. If you go straight after the required skills, it'll take you less then three days actually to fly a Rifter with a MWD and a warp-disruptor.
    The ship + equipment costs less then 50k ISK, so it's even affordable for you right away.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Lean to tackle
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I can PvP in EVE 15 minutes in to the game. I can fill fleet roles in a day.

If you want to be big bully on the block? Go away. It won't happen in EVE, ever. Sadly/ fortunately depending on point of view, the mechanics also negate hero options. In reality no one guy will save the day.

In the favor of EVE you have a system that forces cowards to act like cowards and bullies to act like bullies. You also lose identity unfortunately. Most people couldn't name 10 pilots off the top of their heads in their own alliance let alone their enemies. Corp names they can but individuals? It gets lost in EVE.

• Originally posted by shinkan

PvP from day one is just not realistic in any proper MMO.

GW2 you can be pro at level 2  :) 

sorry, had to toss it in. lol

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    I would suggest that people who play mmorpgs SOLELY for PvP is one of the things ruining the genre. Why would you play a game in a genre that is a character driven roleplaying game in a persistant world with many things to do, and seriously think that PvP is the only thing to do?
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Paradigm68
    I would suggest that people who play mmorpgs SOLELY for PvP is one of the things ruining the genre. Why would you play a game in a genre that is a character driven roleplaying game in a persistant world with many things to do, and seriously think that PvP is the only thing to do?

That's where you're wrong.

Roleplaying has nothing to do with roleplaying a character, that's something you find in a theater. Roleplaying in a MMORPG is about playing a role in the game-world and that can aswell be playing a pirate or whatever who kills others, or steal their goodies etc.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Yalexy

That's where you're wrong.

Roleplaying has nothing to do with roleplaying a character, that's something you find in a theater. Roleplaying in a MMORPG is about playing a role in the game-world and that can aswell be playing a pirate or whatever who kills others, or steal their goodies etc.

That makes no sense. You're mistaking acting with roleplaying. When you create character, you've begun roleplaying. Besides, thats not even the point. The point is in a genre (with RP in the name mind you) and EvE in particular, with so many things to do, roleplaying being one of them, if you think that without PvP there is nothing else to do, you're playing the wrong game. It would be like going to an acrade, one one game out of order and wondering why people come to the arcade.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

You're misinformed, you can PvP from day one in EVE.  Just don't expect to be flying big ships with T2 mods from day one, that doesn't mean you can't hop in a frigate and go shoot stuff.  

Even a 6 year old character is going to die a lot, and a day one character can tackle as well as a 6 year old one, which is very important in PvP. 

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    While you can and could alway PvP right off the bat after the new tech 1 ship balances get done doing that will be even easier.
  • StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Join EVE University and they'll have your in a fleet and PvPing right away if you want to be. Also as some one said RvB, both great corps for getting the hang of PvP from the start.
  • Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    Bottom line here is, anyone expecting to pvp on any game at day one is an idiot.   Unless you are playing a game where everyone is created equally at the start then it will never ever happen, and you shouldnt even psych yourself up to think of it.  Now in all seriousness, what you do for the first month could be a variety of things, first of all you need to find a player corperation, I would suggest either Eve University, or a corperation in the alliance Red Vs Blue, as they do low lvl pvp against each other on planned battles, very fun for pvp and generally in low tech ships, aswell as doing zerg events which is great for newbies because generally they suck and require numbers rather than skill.  Secondly, I would do high sec missions of some sort and get to a decent standing with one of the many game factions so when you do go to high sec you have somewhere that you can make a jump clone, and or an office in much later down the line if you decide to make a corperation of your own.  In any case, do nt give up, train frig 5 of your race first, then train for either an interceptor and or stealth bomber as these two are your best choice for early game pvp.  Good luck, and please don't rage quit like every other noob who doesnt get pvp the first week of gameplay :p

J. B.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Baseline

lol... Totally serious question.

I mean, maybe I'm misinformed, but I've tried the trial a few times, and every time it was pretty much "oh, gotta wait a few weeks before I even bother with PvP".

Can anyone actually outline the requirements an EVE player should cover before they bother with looking for a corp and starting to PvP? Or am I way off in the 1-month guesstimate? Is it sooner, or.... longer?

When I tried a while ago, I liked ECM in Caldari boats. Not too sure about the current state of ECM in PvP.

Well for your first few days, you should be doing the tutorials, because yeah, learning curve and all that. After that, maybe just a few days (or maybe just a few weeks) of generally exploring and finding interesting things and trying out some of the things you did in the tutorials.

But if anyone tells you that you can't PvP, then check the following

(1) Do I have a frigate skill trained to at least 3?

(2) Do I have the appropriate weapon skill to 3? (Eg: Small Projectiles for Minmatar, Small Energy for Amarr, Small Hybrid for Gallente/Caldari)

(3) Do I have Propulsion Jamming to at least 2?

(4) Do I have High Speed Maneuvering to 1?

If you have answered "Yes" to all of the above questions, then your character is qualified for PvP. PvP at the very simplest level, mind you, but there you go, that's game with character progression for you. Your character will qualify for increasingly elaborate and expensive forms of PvP in the future, but right now, you're able to do the 3 core PvP functions with him: Catch people, stop them getting away, kill them.

You, of course, you the player, won't be qualified in the least. But there's only ever one way to change this, and not starting early will hobble you in PvP at least as much as deciding not to have any character skills in training.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Jester92
    Bottom line here is, anyone expecting to pvp on any game at day one is an idiot. :p

Agreed - it takes a realistic minimum of about 30 or 35 hours of skill training to be ready for PvP the last time I checked.

Luckily, you can easily work up those skills while you're doing the tutorials.

Yeah you're probably not going to be PvPing until Day 3 really.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I joined the Gallente fac war and was PvPing in my incursus after about a week.

Even if I wanted to PvP my first couple days I don't think I could have.  I had no idea how to fit my ships or what role each ship played.

It's probably for the best.  You need to learn how to make ISK before you start losing ships.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• revajinrevajin Member Posts: 21

PVP on day 1 is easy.

1. Find a corp that will take you.

2. Go out on a roam.

3. Take orders, shoot at things.

4. Have fun?

Or optionally,

1. Go out to low/null sec.

2. Shoot at something.

3. Have fun?

I mean really. The whole, "at least train tackling skills" is a load of crap. Most small gang roams are going to have a dedicated tackler with a lot more experience anyway, they're not going to rely on the newb to do it. Your first few days in EVE should be about having fun, it doesn't matter if you only caused 200 damage on that kill mail as long as you enjoyed the experience and learned from it. Go on the roam in your reaper if you don't want to lose a real ship, nobody will care, you're a day one player.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's pretty easy to cause hundreds of millions of ISK worth of ship loss day 1.  Heck, it's easy to do it in the first half of day 1.  Plus, it's fun!

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Honest answer:

Launch EVE. Get to mining. Keep going.

Launch WOW. Get into a BG. Get PVPing.

When killed and waiting for respawn, switch back to EVE and continue.

True story! :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by solarine

Honest answer:

"When a player leaves EVE Online for World of Warcraft, the average intelligence of both communities increases."

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by solarine

Honest answer:

"When a player leaves EVE Online for World of Warcraft, the average intelligence of both communities increases."

Ah, the thing is, you're not leaving! It's running in the background!

Reading helps! 

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

You can't be serious... The first MMO games were SOLELY PvP games.  Why else have a massively multiplayer online game? PvE games don't have hundreds of players working together, so why make a game massively multiplayer if it is only going to support PvE with 20 to 40 people playing together? That's absolutely pointless. It's PvE centered games that are RUINING the mmorpg genre. PvP is the entire reason these games exist. If you want to play against NPCs go play a co-op game, they are far better for PvE than an mmorpg.