Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two new questions answered today

GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

"Hello, Darkfallers! We got a couple of answers for you today!

Will surges remain in Darkfall: Unholy Wars?

The concept of surging is one that we like, but it does cause some issues when players use pre-surging. We have experimented with various scenarios when it comes to this so that we can keep them in Darkfall: Unholy Wars, but make them more balanced and fair. Removing them altogether though is something that is still on the table. We will provide more information closer to launch."

The general consesus is players want surging removed OR want it to last a set amount of time before dropping back down to 99 skill.

"Will Darkfall: Unholy Wars operate some sort of Broker / Auction house to sell gear / mats on?

There is a market system that has been partly developed and we gave some details about it in a community update a while ago. Right now our schedule is really tight and it looks like markets will not be in at launch. However, we will evaluate adding the market system shortly after launch."

Good/bad. The good is we like the way of trading as it is, the economy should run fine on it. If anything add more player vendors.

The bad.... new features on launch would always be a bonus!

Comments

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

The only question I'd really like to see answered is this:

"If you are releasing the game in 2 months, and it's already "very playable", why have you not bothered to upload a single minute of full screen game play video?"

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    There they go again with features that won't make it into launch. I've got a feeling of déjà vu.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    There they go again with features that won't make it into launch. I've got a feeling of déjà vu.

At least they actually said it wouldn't be there this time.  The first time they said nothing, released the game, and then editted the features page about month later so that it didn't mention any of the things they said were in the game. 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

At least they actually said it wouldn't be there this time.  The first time they said nothing, released the game, and then editted the features page about month later so that it didn't mention any of the things they said were in the game. 

I recall they did tell players about a few things that was supposed to be in the game but wasn't (like local banking) but overall, yes, you are right. And boy did they remove a lot of things from their websites!

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

They way surge should work: Use the skill enough it gets to surge which is a proc that fades.

Current system: kill rats in your holding untill skill is surged, repeate with every skill you use THEN go pvp

Surge should be something that only happens during a fight not something to be saved for a fight.

Also...havent heard much on momentum or crosshair wobble...anyone else notice a surprising lack of discussion on this?

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by rikilii

"If you are releasing the game in 2 months, and it's already "very playable", why have you not bothered to upload a single minute of full screen game play video?"

I'd imagine to build hype.  AV massively screwed up the launch of DF1 and they KNOW that.  They KNOW that screwing this one up will be the end of their business.  There is no way they gave a date of Nov. 20th without having a working game where they couldn't provide footage.

Hype is what Darkfall needs at the moment and AV needs to follow through and back it up.  That has never been their strong suite so hopefully they bring something new this time around.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by indef

I'd imagine to build hype.  AV massively screwed up the launch of DF1 and they KNOW that.  They KNOW that screwing this one up will be the end of their business.  There is no way they gave a date of Nov. 20th without having a working game where they couldn't provide footage.

Hype is what Darkfall needs at the moment and AV needs to follow through and back it up.  That has never been their strong suite so hopefully they bring something new this time around.

Um... They gave a date of Nov. 20th. They also gave us dates of 2 years ago throughout the year (you know, the whole "Darkfall 2010" thing), then all last year with DF 2.0 coming "very soon", and now all this year. Now they changed the name and gave a new date again. Im hoping it actually does launch on time, but I dont think anyone will be surpprised if it doesnt. And it's starting to look like at best we might get a launch around that time, but without several of the features that are supposed to be in. So really it's kind of a half launch while we wait for them to release the rest sometime next year hopefully.

• WaronWaron Member Posts: 3
    Kindof bummed out by there not being a market. Trading will still be in-clan only I guess.
  • MurderFace_RPMurderFace_RP Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Waron
    Kindof bummed out by there not being a market. Trading will still be in-clan only I guess.

There will be a marketing system.  It wont be ready at launch but lots of games released and their marketing was broken so no difference.  The system will probably be different than your average safe zone market but thats what darkfalls about.  If you cant get ganked doing it, it shouldnt be there.

• WaronWaron Member Posts: 3

Do you feel that EVEs way of doing it is so bad? I don't like teleportation of players or funds. But because we don't have people staying in stalls / shops selling all day, a market system is only logical.

Lets say it's "safe" to trade within a certain area, but when you leave you gotta do it stealthily or with an armed caravan. Just like in EVE, works well there.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    The player vendors already ensure trading is inter-alliance/clan. Add more player vendors, sorted!
  • gaireastgaireast Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I would of preferred a better ssytem for player vendors but this CAN work in df and be alright.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

If you followed AV at all with DF1 then you know they were gonna releaase the game "soon", and "in a few months" sevral times over several years. Also if they said they'd have a video out soon it generally took them somewhat longer then 6 months. So nothing new to see here just Taso up to his same old tricks

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

hehe if you followed Df's developement over years of screw ups and missed releaase dates you know theres no way they will make this releaase date either. Ah the good old days when soo many rabid fans would year after year declare this was the year because Taso's and AV said it would and the game would release feature complete and take the world by storm etc etc etc.

Well DF was eventually releaased, it never did get all the features they promised right up untill a few months after release, and well as for taking the world by storm most of its biggest fans back then don't even play it anymore. Some of those same fans even have some pretty harsh words for DF, Av, and Taso's these days

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Waron

Remember that one of the things they wanted for DF 2010 was player vendors in player cities.  We have no idea what has happened to that concept at all - but we do know they wanted to expand player accessibility to goods held on NPCs beyond only those on player houses.

A features list would be nice, but remember things they discsussed as being "worked on" such as ability for player cities' mayors to have more control over what kind of cannons were on each tower etc, rather than all player cities being hard templated and only built/not built.  We simply don't know what made the cut, but we do know they were working on a lot of things that would significantly enhance Darkfall's fun factor.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Maybe. They managed OK with DF! though with the tiny resources they had.

And they didn't screw up at launch. They try - and given their resources - so a good job at communicating with the playerbase. People almost inevitably have more questions and they simply don't have the resources to answer them. AV are a small company. DF is a niche product. Different criteria.

Launch was a sucess.

A lot of people complained at launch that they couldn't buy the game. They complained a lot. AV could have sold a lot more copies on launch day. I for one supported their decsion not to.

You know how it would have gone: sold lots of copies on day 1. Compalints about queues and calls for more servers. AV would have had to borrow money for those. End of 30 days compalints of empty servers. Need mergers. Sadly bankruptcy would have prevented those. So they KNOW that launch was a success.

With the subs they expanded capacity and after c. a year they were able to implement a 100% increase in the number of servers. Not many games can say that.

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by winter

hehe if you followed Df's developement over years of screw ups and missed releaase dates you know theres no way they will make this releaase date either. Ah the good old days when soo many rabid fans would year after year declare this was the year because Taso's and AV said it would and the game would release feature complete and take the world by storm etc etc etc.

Well DF was eventually releaased, it never did get all the features they promised right up untill a few months after release, and well as for taking the world by storm most of its biggest fans back then don't even play it anymore. Some of those same fans even have some pretty harsh words for DF, Av, and Taso's these days

Yet they still produced a unique game that was incredibly fun despite its drawbacks. At the end of the day no other company has had the guts to try to make a game like it, full loot, fps aiming, siege warfare, no safe zones, etc.

Besides they are now a very different company then they were before, I would be surprised if they miss the release date by more then a few days.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Falesh
    Originally posted by winter

Yet they still produced a unique game that was incredibly fun despite its drawbacks. At the end of the day no other company has had the guts to try to make a game like it, full loot, fps aiming, siege warfare, no safe zones, etc.

Besides they are now a very different company then they were before, I would be surprised if they miss the release date by more then a few days.

Oh boy. More 9/22/12ers that sound like marketing drones. Not falling for it AV.

• MandatoryDDsMandatoryDDs Member Posts: 3

Yeah it does a bit but let’s hope they really have learnt how they should launch and continue to support DF2 from the mistakes and pretty consistently terrible community interaction or lack thereof in the current game environment, that is DF1.

I suppose the fact they have investors this time around that seem to be far more involved than the Greek government was in managing their investment in DF1 (Rings true in so many other ways ;p ) and they actively want targets, launch dates etc to be met which should change things around a little bit and keep them on their toes.