Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why I will be buying & playing Unholy Wars

FluteFlute WellingtonPosts: 434Member
When I look across the spectrum of MMORPGs currently on offer, there are very few that offer what I want from an online game. What is it that I want?
  1. Challenge. "Easy mode" levelling is boring, I want to have to earn skills.
  2. Meaningful community play - building things that one player *cannot* build alone and using things that *cannot* be used alone really gives a reason for guilds/corps in a game.
  3. Diplomacy. Player controlled territory adds an entire layer to the game.
  4. Real ability to impact the world. This is huge, UO had it, but very few since have - SW:G, EVE, and in the future perhaps Archeage.
  5. Engaging naval combat. *hopefully fixed* this time! I love repair shards (gives new players a role too), but we all know there were many balance issues with naval combat that led to un-fun outcomes in Darkfall 1.0.
  6. Player housing, with vendors.
  7. Challenging and useful crafting. I can't stand games where the best gear is from bosses and not players.
  8. Fear. Nothing ever quite got the blood moving like the sound of a dragon's cry as you walked in human lands, or the wail of the kraken when you were out in a fishing ship. I realy hope they have done what some players suggested and added in the odd wandering dragon, just to really spice things up

 

I playe Darkfall 1.0 for a while, but some design issues ultimately meant that the player numbers were simply not there for the game to play as intended.  It offered some incredible fun memories, but everyone knew the game was broken - the players, Aventurine, and reviewers.  However something close to magical has occurred - Aventurine has actually listened to its players, and taken the plunge to radically overhaul the game, scrap some of the "woops shouldn't have done that!" design mistakes, upgrade everything, and start over as a new game - the game Darkfall 1.0 always should have been but never quite was. 



The best time to play Darkfall was when cities were rising out of the landscape, the world was new and no-one really knew what the combinations of spells could do (not even the devs). New empires rising, heroes and champions emerging from the populance ... unbelievable fun.

 

My recommendation for this game?  Buy it, play it for 3 months.  There is a very strong likelihood it will feel very alien to you when you first play it, however once you get past the fact is it NOT a wow/gw2/etc clone, you may well come to love this game as deeply as many love EVE Online.  If nothing else, independent game designers who are brave enough to listen to their players, overhaul their game entirely, and not simply sell out to the nearest company to gut thier game deserve our support as gamers.  Besides, building and defending your own city is well ... magical. 

 

For all its foibles Darkfall 1.0 created many of the most memorable moments in gaming that I have ever had, right up there with some classic UO and SW:G moments for me.  If you have never thought "I could actually write a novel based on that" then you haven't played an MMO with genuine depth.  If Aventurine delivers on thier design, and indeed they certainly should do that as their claims are rather modest compared to most gaming companies pre-launch over-optomistic hype, then Unholy Wars will be an incredibly fun game.  I will be there on day 1, I would strongly encourage you to be there too.

Comments

  • Spool1Spool1 AucklandPosts: 20Member
    Ya, its the best game ever. +1
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member

    I enjoyed DF and spent plenty of time playing it, but let's face it, it had it's issues.

     

    Now I am absolutely looking forward to DF:UW and to be honest, in fact i've not anticipated the release of an mmo as much as this for a long while and I will most certainly be buying it and trying it.

     

    Whether or not it will actually live up to those expectations, be any good and actually be worth sticking with long term though is unkown.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • StofftierStofftier berlinPosts: 93Member

    1. leveling in darkfall is as easy as in any mmorpg

    2.through easy exploiting alot of solo players could afford all of these things frank sinatra anyone?

    3.if one got a advantage over the card there is building up a mega zerg that is coming for you is not really politics

    4. what impact?

    5. yeah its nice with a big ship nothing to complain here

    6. nothing new or really the bringer for a game everyone has that in some sort

    7.useful crafting maybe but there also drops of house and cannons and stuff but challenging dont know where you this get frome but ok ...

    8. and most games are also world or continent bosses rare bosses what ever

    so dunno where you find the unique of it but the only thing that darkfall has what others not have is the constant looking over your shoulder that not someone ambushs you and the full loot but with more or less drop and forget equip anyways noone gives a f*ck.And all that is my opinion!

     

     

  • Mighty123eMighty123e San Diego, CAPosts: 9Member
    Well im hoping unholy wars is going to be better then the first launch of eu, i want to see 40 people at a goblin spawn ^^ and be scared to run from one city to another. Darkfall is by far the best mmorpg i've ever played so ill definently be getting it.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon
    I'm looking forward to the launch.  I was as skeptical as anyone about DF2010/2.0/UW being released, but with Tasos' last message and massively bulked up self, who can argue that it's on its way?  Long live DF:UW.
  • FluteFlute WellingtonPosts: 434Member

    Part of why I have already decided I will buy this game is that they are not overselling it.  They are not saying it will be the next WoW killer or anything - they know full loot pvp games are niche games, and that many younger players find them too intimidating.  What they have done is candidly admit where their original intentions rather "fell off the rails", and why they decided to make a new game rather than continue to try to fix what everyone else out there knew couldn't just be fixed.

     

    Darkfall 1.0 was a game with incredible potential, but clunky unintuitive UI, very bad new player experience, and deeply embedded issues meant it wasn't ever going to achieve that potential without something drastic.  I didn't actually believe Aventurine would ever take this step, which is why I quit and went back to playing EVE Online rather than sit around hoping something would get better.  Now it turns out that my scepticism was a touch over-harsh, Aventurine have actually done what their players wanted them to do and taken the hard decisions, which will mean a much better game.  Honestly the level of information being released from the company makes me wonder if it's the same company, although the video clearly shows it is.  Cudos to this independent developer for taking such a bold step rather than just selling the IP to Sony (etc) to strip back to a wow-clone. 

  • WaronWaron OsloPosts: 3Member
    Definitely buying it and playing, it's only too bad that the release is in the middle of my finals month >_<
  • FluteFlute WellingtonPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Waron
    Definitely buying it and playing, it's only too bad that the release is in the middle of my finals month >_<

    Don't worry, anyone who knows Aventurine won't be surprised in the least if they delay it just a little because its "not quite ready"!

  • CaaahlCaaahl LeipzigPosts: 229Member
    But they have to release within 2012 afaik. So  I guess for a release @ 31th of december 2012. ;)

    Caaahl / DAA KAPUTTMACHAA ---DF/DFUW

  • gaireastgaireast watertown, NYPosts: 5Member
    It would not be AV if they didnt delay it at least one more time.
  • killer128killer128 Corona, CAPosts: 21Member
    Originally posted by Flute
    Originally posted by Waron
    Definitely buying it and playing, it's only too bad that the release is in the middle of my finals month >_<

    Don't worry, anyone who knows Aventurine won't be surprised in the least if they delay it just a little because its "not quite ready"!

    I know it's a long shot that they actually launch the game on time, but a lot of people were saying that they think the release date might be solid since they actually have a big investor backing the development of this version of the game.  So, if there is any delay I only expect it to be about a month.

    image
    Darkfall Unholy Wars

  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d AthensPosts: 388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Flute
    When I look across the spectrum of MMORPGs currently on offer, there are very few that offer what I want from an online game. What is it that I want?
    1. Challenge. "Easy mode" levelling is boring, I want to have to earn skills.
    2. Meaningful community play - building things that one player *cannot* build alone and using things that *cannot* be used alone really gives a reason for guilds/corps in a game.
    3. Diplomacy. Player controlled territory adds an entire layer to the game.
    4. Real ability to impact the world. This is huge, UO had it, but very few since have - SW:G, EVE, and in the future perhaps Archeage.
    5. Engaging naval combat. *hopefully fixed* this time! I love repair shards (gives new players a role too), but we all know there were many balance issues with naval combat that led to un-fun outcomes in Darkfall 1.0.
    6. Player housing, with vendors.
    7. Challenging and useful crafting. I can't stand games where the best gear is from bosses and not players.
    8. Fear. Nothing ever quite got the blood moving like the sound of a dragon's cry as you walked in human lands, or the wail of the kraken when you were out in a fishing ship. I realy hope they have done what some players suggested and added in the odd wandering dragon, just to really spice things up

     

    I playe Darkfall 1.0 for a while, but some design issues ultimately meant that the player numbers were simply not there for the game to play as intended.  It offered some incredible fun memories, but everyone knew the game was broken - the players, Aventurine, and reviewers.  However something close to magical has occurred - Aventurine has actually listened to its players, and taken the plunge to radically overhaul the game, scrap some of the "woops shouldn't have done that!" design mistakes, upgrade everything, and start over as a new game - the game Darkfall 1.0 always should have been but never quite was. 



    The best time to play Darkfall was when cities were rising out of the landscape, the world was new and no-one really knew what the combinations of spells could do (not even the devs). New empires rising, heroes and champions emerging from the populance ... unbelievable fun.

     

    My recommendation for this game?  Buy it, play it for 3 months.  There is a very strong likelihood it will feel very alien to you when you first play it, however once you get past the fact is it NOT a wow/gw2/etc clone, you may well come to love this game as deeply as many love EVE Online.  If nothing else, independent game designers who are brave enough to listen to their players, overhaul their game entirely, and not simply sell out to the nearest company to gut thier game deserve our support as gamers.  Besides, building and defending your own city is well ... magical. 

     

    For all its foibles Darkfall 1.0 created many of the most memorable moments in gaming that I have ever had, right up there with some classic UO and SW:G moments for me.  If you have never thought "I could actually write a novel based on that" then you haven't played an MMO with genuine depth.  If Aventurine delivers on thier design, and indeed they certainly should do that as their claims are rather modest compared to most gaming companies pre-launch over-optomistic hype, then Unholy Wars will be an incredibly fun game.  I will be there on day 1, I would strongly encourage you to be there too.

    +1

  • wrekognizewrekognize salt lake city, UTPosts: 384Member
    Nice list. Agreed.
  • ZeuZZeuZ Buena Park, CAPosts: 5Member
    Launch day will be absolutely bat shit crazy lol. Can't wait!
  • staledalestaledale Juneau, AKPosts: 4Member

    DF1 was the best game I have ever played.  League of Legends comes in second.

    I have great expectations for Darkfall Unholy Wars

  • redman875redman875 illinois, ILPosts: 230Member

    Ill be playing for one reason: there no other games like this out there.

    MO is still in alpha and you need to roll alts for different roles

    The othe games similair are defunct.

    Oh and Xyson is hot steaming garbage.

    EoC maybe in 4 years lol

  • kompletistkompletist Buffalo, NYPosts: 51Member
    .
  • kompletistkompletist Buffalo, NYPosts: 51Member
    Originally posted by Stofftier

    1. leveling in darkfall is as easy as in any mmorpg

    2.through easy exploiting alot of solo players could afford all of these things frank sinatra anyone?

    so dunno where you find the unique of it but the only thing that darkfall has what others not have is the constant looking over your shoulder that not someone ambushs you and the full loot but with more or less drop and forget equip anyways noone gives a f*ck.And all that is my opinion!

    1) Leveling is as easy in any mmo? What?

    2) People tried to exploit things in a video game? NEVER!

     

    Finally, true fps elements in an mmorpg is not unique? Planetside is the only game to be able to pull off what Darkfall did and it had 1/8th the content.

     

    Troll be trolling, jesus.

  • GhostshadowsGhostshadows PyongyangPosts: 70Member
    Amen to that OP! We're all hungry for a pvp game like DF

    People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

  • FluteFlute WellingtonPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by kompletist
    Originally posted by Stofftier

    1. leveling in darkfall is as easy as in any mmorpg

    2.through easy exploiting alot of solo players could afford all of these things frank sinatra anyone?

    so dunno where you find the unique of it but the only thing that darkfall has what others not have is the constant looking over your shoulder that not someone ambushs you and the full loot but with more or less drop and forget equip anyways noone gives a f*ck.And all that is my opinion!

    1) Leveling is as easy in any mmo? What?

    2) People tried to exploit things in a video game? NEVER!

     

    Finally, true fps elements in an mmorpg is not unique? Planetside is the only game to be able to pull off what Darkfall did and it had 1/8th the content.

     

    Troll be trolling, jesus.

     

    Hey, you can't have a proper fantsy MMO without trolls, right?  :)

  • TymorisTymoris AthensPosts: 360Member

    For a pvp game it was quite nice, though the crafting and rampant exploiting was really a turn off.

    I hope at least they can keep the exploits and hacks away  this time around.

    image
  • FluteFlute WellingtonPosts: 434Member
    Originally posted by Tymoris

    For a pvp game it was quite nice, though the crafting and rampant exploiting was really a turn off.

    I hope at least they can keep the exploits and hacks away  this time around.

    Yup they will - part of the reason for a new game is that they have learnt a ton about how to prevent, detect, and respond to the 'creativity of players'.  When they talk about 'legacy issues', one of the things a new game will do is wipe out all the improper advantage that people who cheated in the early years of Darkfall 1.0 before detection/enforecment was much more effective had gathered.  There were people who amassed massive fortunes using exploits, hacks and dupes, which forever more plagued the community because those people could nearly infinitely hire mercenaries to overwhelmingly crush normal players.  New game, clean slate - and Aventurine learned a lot about stopping cheats in the past few years (we saw things changing in-game, for the better) - so this time is likely to be very different.  Some people will inevitably try to cheat, but there will be GMs with the detection tools, investigation tools, and banhammers at the ready waiting for miscreants to allow Pluxtii to play his favorite game - player vs GM, *ding ding ding* it's all over folks, GM Pluxtii wins again!    

Sign In or Register to comment.