Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MONTHLY FEE = NO GO

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by nondogg13
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars so your argument is retarded. oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, infact why are you even comparing a pussy ass game like guildwars2 to darkfall.

3 Expansions over 7+ years = every 6 months..... someone failed horribly in math class.

He isn't comparing the games, just the payment models. Pont is, if one game can do it, why not another? I think part of it is the popularity. DF dwindle down to a few thousand players, and many of those werent consistently active. Without subs, they would have no way of running the company. Even if they manage to climb back up to 50k or so players, losing that sub would still be hurting them pretty badly, especially since the game is designed the way it is and they wouldnt really be able to do a well functioning cash shop. Maybe they could do something like add the ability to bind gear to you so you cant lose it, but then you would have people raging theyre not getting loot from people. They certainly wouldnt be able to sell items / gear because nobody would keep paying for stuff theyre going to lose if they die.

Having a lower sub on the other hand might do them some good. Just dropping it down to $10/month or 6 months for $30-40 might draw some more people in and not only get their money but also keep more people playing longer due to the higher population making it mor einteresting.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars so your argument is retarded. oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, infact why are you even comparing a pussy ass game like guildwars2 to darkfall.

Oh aren't you just precious!

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I'm certainly hoping they'll have at least a trial for old players and ex-players (unlikely but still). Even though $15 is a very small amount of money, I don't trust AV enough to take that risk from the get-go and would rather try it out before to decide if I should sub or not.
  • nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41

um april 2005 release.

next expantion 2006 april.

next expantion 2006 october.

next expansion 2007 august 10 months later.

then nothing from there on, well nothing of value that they could market and sell too you.

yeah i'll stay with p2p and the staffs that upkeep and change games, just look at lineage 2 p2p until like a year ago and they gave a major content update every 6 months. darkfall does about the same.

guildwars updates are driven by lore and storyline. darkfall is driven by changing mechanics to make the game play better(all though av is touting more lore driven content in uw lol).

oh and edit lol incase you were wondering thats 60+60+60+60 or 60 x 4 240  dollars in the span of what 2 years 4 mounts then you got nothing from there on. hmmm guess my math wasn't that far off :o

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I think what people forget is that F2P or B2P in the long run actually ends up costing you more than P2P.  $15 a month isn't bad at all, and it can go down to $10 a month on some games, when you buy in bulk months. I pay a little less than $20 a month for both Rift and WoW from buying year at a time, and I still have founders pricing in Rift.  i can buy a year at a time, because I know I'm not really going to go to any other game for longer than a couple of months anyways.

As for F2P or B2P,  there's already people complaining about GW2 is making people buy from the store to be any good at WvW.  F2P has always been expensive.  I can remember back when MapleStory first came out, I probably spent about $1k on that game lol.  That's equal to about 100 months of WoW subscription, and I didn't play MapleStory longer than that.

It could be worse though.  Way back in the day in Neverwinter Nights, you had to pay for the time you were logged in...and that got expensive.  I'll happily pay my $20 a month for 2 games, as long as I'm having fun.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

A small indie company that has less employees TOTAL than for example, Guild Wars 2 has as their story/lore writers. Besides, cash shop works in thempark games, it can NEVER work in sandbox, full-loot game, it automatically becomes pay-to-win.

I generally support F2P, but this is one game where it would simply not work and would have a negative effect on the game as a whole. It would be filled with hack-cheats and 12 year olds talking smack.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • Mighty123eMighty123e Member Posts: 9

Id say in any case that darkfall beats gw2, its not about graphics, sounds and what not. Its about how well the game plays and i have to say darkfall had a tough start but its the only mmo i can play because everything else is simple not as good.

15$ a month???

15$ = lemonade stand, even 6 year olds can afford 15$ a month.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think what people forget is that F2P or B2P in the long run actually ends up costing you more than P2P.  $15 a month isn't bad at all, and it can go down to $10 a month on some games, when you buy in bulk months. I pay a little less than $20 a month for both Rift and WoW from buying year at a time, and I still have founders pricing in Rift.  i can buy a year at a time, because I know I'm not really going to go to any other game for longer than a couple of months anyways.

As for F2P or B2P,  there's already people complaining about GW2 is making people buy from the store to be any good at WvW.  F2P has always been expensive.  I can remember back when MapleStory first came out, I probably spent about $1k on that game lol.  That's equal to about 100 months of WoW subscription, and I didn't play MapleStory longer than that.

It could be worse though.  Way back in the day in Neverwinter Nights, you had to pay for the time you were logged in...and that got expensive.  I'll happily pay my $20 a month for 2 games, as long as I'm having fun.

There is absolutely nothing in GW2 CS that makes one any more competitive in PvP.  Sure there is some boosters (which the advantage is highly debateable and neglible) if anything which even then one can buy with in game gold which is pretty easy to make.  Which unlike any other MMO that I know one one can buy CS currency with in game gold.  Sounds like these are just the bad players that will cry bout anything and ANet has the philosophy of being easily competitive.  People saying that you have to use the store to be any good at WvWvW and you're buying that?  Load of horse shit if I ever heard any.  There is nothing in the CS store that I can't buy with in game gold... so no B2P IS cheaper than P2P by far.

Now if you compared it to DDO then thats a whole different story as they nickle and dime you left n right.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Wow.  GW2 fans invading the Darkfall forums.  Now I've seen it all.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Wow.  GW2 fans invading the Darkfall forums.  Now I've seen it all.

A real PvP focused game thats looking good would have them worried about their server pop's imo.

Not saying DFUH is going to be a multi million box selling monster on launch, but I can totally see it growing and growing like EVE did.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    This discussion is stupid and pointless. FTP is not the messiah of the genre, it has become the standard only because companies started making crappy games that couldn't sustain a healthy pop.

If a game is good and offers depth and longevity, people will happily pay sub. Look at EVE for example.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

This new wave of ideas makes me very sad as a gamer.  ANet has you right where they want you. 

See my blog if you would like more of my opinion on this.

Best of luck.

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33

Noobish attitude (without offense, ofc) of the thread-opener:

you can't compare themepark with sandbox, sorry

sandbox is antithesis of itemshop

freemium includes itemshop

sandbox won't be freemium

In this case Aventurine is an Indie-Company.

Yes go and tell them that you want to play their game without paying that bit (starter box costs even half of the other mmorpg ones...). Good luck :D

and last but not least: don't even compare a persistent world with 10K to 50K players (Eve Online, Darkfall, etc...)simultaniously playing on the same "let's say shard" and a persistent world where the max of simultaniously playing peeps is not bigger than 4K-6K (all the other mmos).

Regarding yourself:  You don't like it ? Fair enough. Don't buy it :D

• wuthdwuthd Member Posts: 5

full loot with itemshop cant work...

pvp skill based game with premium omg pls no....

and btw the monthly fee is 9$ atm maybe it will stay at this price

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

totally agree!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Comparing GW2 to DF?

GW2 is great fun at the moment (imo), but (imo) it also feels like a bit of a lobby game and has no real mmo feel (imo). It also has plenty of problems/bugs btw.

I am looking to DF:UW to offer a persistent, mmo world with ffa and looting. I will gladly pay a sub for that and to support a smaller dev team, in fact I would much rather pay a sub then go box sale with a cash shop in a sandbox pvp game quite frankly.

I am sure many others (who are interested in the game) feel the same way.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    LOL yeah as if GW2 is even half the game DFO was. Let alone DFO:UW. Themepark games are this you play 1 you played them all, Want to play a good themepark play WoW they did Themepark the best. Want to play a Sandbox? Play Darkfall:UW, or LiF.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol 120 dollars a year + expansion money if there was such a thing in that game.

Guild wars 0 per year + expansion money (aka expanded content that you can optionally buy)

Incidentally I played gw1 on and off for 7 years and got all expansions for under 80 dollars.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I never understood these bums that whine about a monthly fee for a service that provides countless hours of entertainment. One single night in a club can easily cost me anywhere between 100-200 euros. If DF really was a real sandbox MMORPG, anywhere near UO level, I would gladly pay even 50 euros every month and i'm not even that wealthy.

DF was shit and I fully expect DF:UW be the same way, but monthly fee is not the damn issue here. If it is for you, you really should consider other hobbies. Like a job for instance.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by busdriver

DF was shit and I fully expect DF:UW be the same way, but monthly fee is not the damn issue here. If it is for you, you really should consider other hobbies. Like a job for instance.

I wont try games out that I expect to be shit if they cost me money, I'd propably try out DF:UW at some point, and who knows might even like it, if it didnt seem so expensive Vs my expectations of it. The money really isnt the issue, I just feel like a dumb ass if I expect something to be shit, buy it and try it, and it turns out to be exactly that, shit, and I just paid for it.

This same thinking applies to B2P games too, since you pay for them up front, but it's quite standard in the gaming business at the moment to expect sandbox mmorpgs to be complete shit and waste of money by default, besides for the handful who loves them.

If this game would have better graphics and effects + animations, and also different type(s) of servers I'd propably try it. I guess that's the step that would makes this game an AAA game...

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I just can't justify paying a monthly fee for a game.
  • busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I wont try games out that I expect to be shit if they cost me money, I'd propably try out DF:UW at some point, and who knows might even like it, if it didnt seem so expensive Vs my expectations of it. The money really isnt the issue, I just feel like a dumb ass if I expect something to be shit, buy it and try it, and it turns out to be exactly that, shit, and I just paid for it.

This same thinking applies to B2P games too, since you pay for them up front, but it's quite standard in the gaming business at the moment to expect sandbox mmorpgs to be complete shit and waste of money by default, besides for the handful who loves them.

If this game would have better graphics and effects + animations, and also different type(s) of servers I'd propably try it. I guess that's the step that would makes this game an AAA game...

This is another thing I just don't understand, can't people read feature lists, previews&reviews, forum posts and so on and determine from all that whether the game is shit or not?

You don't read opinions, you check the facts and make up your own mind. So far, this method has never ever failed me so far. And I never preorder anything, preorder is designed for jackasses.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Small development companys need a way to make money. Its either subscription based, or pay-to-win and I for one most defiantly do not want some half arsed 'in-game' shop system like GW2, where they encourage you to buy gold (by bying gems with money and converting it into gold) because that system it just a way to buy power and it flawed from the start. GQ2 also had a massive company behind it who is easily able to fund this sort of game, while a small 40man company just can't survive on a few hundred thousand sales apon release. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Kuinn

This is another thing I just don't understand, can't people read feature lists, previews&reviews, forum posts and so on and determine from all that whether the game is shit or not?

You don't read opinions, you check the facts and make up your own mind. So far, this method has never ever failed me so far. And I never preorder anything, preorder is designed for jackasses.

Yes I read up too, about games before buying them, in this case it means not buying the game. I said "If I expect something to be shit, and it turns out exactly to be that" this would imply I have done my research. Does not mean that I'm not curious about the game, and I've had many pleasant surprises too along the years.

Who knows, maybe they'll release a trial that is not restricted too severely, might try that out, often the trials are just so restricted and full of conditions that I cba.