Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favourite RPG game

• CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,317Member Uncommon

Shining Force 2   <- amazing game, tops all my others by miles

Monster Hunter

• VardahothVardahoth Temecula, CAPosts: 526Member Uncommon

RPG games were my all time favorite growing up (mostly due to the fact I was only allowed to have 1 game per year and had to chose a game I wouldn't get bored of within a few days). I did however list a few games that I played that arn't considered rpg games, but were good enough to keep me playing them over and over.

Zelda and Zelda 2

Final Fantasy

Dragon Warrior

Super Nintendo (Probably my all time favorite rpg platform):

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy 2

Final Fantasy 3

Secret of Mana

Secret of Evermore

illusion of Gaia

Lagoon (wish the game wasn't so short though)

Star Ocean (only available through translated ROM)

Shining Force

Shining Force 2

Sega CD:

Lunar 2

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy Tactics

Legend of Dragoon

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Parasite Eve

Metal Gear Solid

Any game After the platform I found lacking in storyline, character buildup, exploration fun, and instead just focused only on graphics. So I put down the consol and started playing PC games:

Deus Ex

Counter Strike (1.3 - 1.5)

Ragnarok Online (up until they made 3rd class changes)

Lineage 2 (2003 - 2006, which is C1 - C6)

Anything after this has not been a game I have found and been able to actually enjoy playing. It's more been about something to keep me occupied out of complete boredom. ATM I am not playing any games due to the fact the mainstream has taken the companies over and caters to the WoW (ME) generation of troll losers who want to press 1 button, vs spending years to build up your character (through time put into it and not this rng crap) and when you finally reach end game you have your sense of accomplishment and are ready to war the other alliances in the fight for power, territory control, and fun.

I Quit.
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW".

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member

Wasteland  and thnwe it's spiritual sequels Fallout 1 and 2

Might and Magic 1-6(not Heroes of)

Wizardry 1-3

Ultima 1-4

Gothic 1 and 2

AD&D Pools of Radiance(the original)

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Planescape Torment

Dungeon Mastwer 1 and 2

Black Crypt

Bard's Tale 1 and 2

• JenosydeJenosyde belzoni, MSPosts: 100Member Uncommon
    Just looking at the games listed wondering if I'm the only one to play chrono cross for Ps1 love that RPG!!
  • RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member

White Wolf games in general really.

I prefer games that reward you for being clever not obscenely strong. if i can outsmart rather than overpower its a win in my books.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk St-petersburgPosts: 1,345Member Uncommon

1. Skyrim + my collection of 270 mods + 3DTV + HMZ-T1  (insane immersion)

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Mass Effect 1 & 3 (yep, Im a fan)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Brandon, FLPosts: 3,649Member

I generally link to these three articles:

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part 1: The Early Years (1980-1983)

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part 2: The Golden Age (1985-1993)

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part III: The Platinum and Modern Ages (1994-2004)

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• LoLifeLoLife LA, CAPosts: 174Member

Deus Ex

Parasite Eve 1&2

Vagrant Story

Sid Meier's Pirates! (if that counts)

• nemurubakaaaanemurubakaaaa AkihabaraPosts: 3Member

Skyrim [LOL, it has become my favorite one because of that FUS RO DAH thing. eargasmmmmmmmmmm!]

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore salem, ORPosts: 672Member

Secret of Mana SNES. Best RPG ever.

Morrowind (skyrim was great but morrowind was built like an mmo its huge compared to skyrim, least thats how it felt to me)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,760Member Uncommon

Final Fantasy 7
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• freeidfreeid NewcastlePosts: 92Member

Fallout 2

no question

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr GalwayPosts: 61Member

Fallout 3.

Followed by Final Fantasy 7 and 8

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 2,194Member Uncommon

The original Jagged Alliance

and I'll always have a special place for a 1986 game called Fairytale which was the first action (not turned based) RPG with decent graphics I ever saw or played.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

• daeamarthdaeamarth denver, COPosts: 24Member

That would be old school D&D (no not AD&D it was too much "work" with less "fun", IMHO). If you mean a computer game then Id have to to nominate the Ultima Series or at least Ultima Online. At least until the later one was so exploitable and the faction system so perverted it was meaningless. Modern day and current PC game that would have to be Everquest II or Skyrim/Fallout 3.

• KellerKeller UtrechtPosts: 254Member Uncommon

I would have listed "next-gen" rpgs, but most of them required console commands, to fix a bug or start a scripted event. (okay Nwn had a serious bug in the first part)

• cheachancheachan TampinesPosts: 122Member
    I think I mentioned Assassin's Creed & Metal Gear here X3

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member
    I will go with Gothic 2 NIght Of The Raven expansion wth BG1-2 and also Daggerfell Morrowind NWN 1 all coming very close indeed.

• EmrendilEmrendil TirionPosts: 199Member

Mine so far:

- Eye of the Beholder II (My first RPG)

- Baldur's Gate II (haven't played the first one)

- Icewind Dale series

- Neverwinter Nights

• bliss14bliss14 eleva, WIPosts: 565Member
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

I generally link to these three articles:

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part 1: The Early Years (1980-1983)

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part 2: The Golden Age (1985-1993)

The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part III: The Platinum and Modern Ages (1994-2004)

Thank you.  A fine read.

In my recollection my favorite RPG's were:

Return To Krondor

Gold Box series and also the Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales

and the magic of scheherezade.

• BrotherDBrotherD AlbertslundPosts: 52Member

Baldur's Gate

Might & Magic 6

Icewind Dale I+II

Pool of Radiance

Champoins of Krynn

Eye of the Beholder

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,538Member Uncommon
    My turn!

Classic PC RPGs:

1. Morrowind(for one reason or the other it is still level above other TESs)
    2. Baldur's Gate 1/2
    3. Neverwinter Nights 1/2(both are good in their own ways.)

1. Guild Wars 1-probably Nightfall era
    2. Warhammer Online
    3. Prolly Guild Wars 2(it is out of stock here, so I don't know how good it is-yet)

Action RPGs:

1. Dungeon Siege 1/2(tis really shame how they ruined this otherwise stellar franchise)
    2. Sacred 1/2(shame bout Ascaron-really!)
    3. TitanQuest

Consoles etc:

1. Final Fantasy VIII
    2. Final Fantasy VI
    3. Final Fantasy VII

Old RPGs:

1-3. Might n Magic 6-9(yes even 9 lolz-too Bad about deatknell of M&M franchise{NOT HoMM!})
  • CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.

Deus Ex

Neverwinter Nights

Lineage 2

Everquest 2

Dragon Age: Origins

I'm trying to go back and play ones I missed playing Diablo 1 at the moment, have Icewind Dale, Sacred 1 & 2, Fallout 1, 2 & 3, Diablo 2, Balders Gate  etc.. ready to be installed.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CrazyCronusCrazyCronus PatrasPosts: 47Member Uncommon

Going for my top 5 RPGs, though its not that I like one is better than the other all those top 5 are equally great for me for their own reasons.

1) Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

2) Baldur's Gate

3) KOTOR

4) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

5) Dragon Age

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 LondonPosts: 724Member Uncommon

(I only know about PC games but) what i like In RPGs is

- linear epic quest with a great story

- tactical party combat

- 3D immersion

- completely open world with an ignorable main quest but deep world "story" aka lore

and as the first two tend not to work so well with the second two my faves break down into two separate camps

1) Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape Torment

2) Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV

In the first group Planescape just shades it over BG II and Fallout II and in the second group - very hard choice between Morrowind (wins on lore) and Skyrim (wins on immersion) - probably still Morrowind by a sliver as i particularly like the lore.

So overall Planescape vs Morrowind - hard choice but even though i've played and modded Morrowind to death over the years i think i'd still give it to Planescape because the ending blew me away so much the first time.

edit: good thread. i'm gonna make a list of the games i haven't heard of.