Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaningless?

1234568»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by GeezerGamer  

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Because he paid as much for the game as you. These are MMOs, they are on going and they evolve. In light of recent developments, it's obvious that the game experience you have one day will always be the same going forward. So he has as much right to let the developers (or anyone else who is openly discussing the game) know what he's pleased and displeased about in hopes of getting it changed.
    true but don't be surprised if people don't want the changes you are asking for and are happy with how the game turned out. Forums have always been a very vocal minority so if most people are ingame having fun who are you going to listen to as a developer? Who knows what's best and not? I thought NGE destroyed SWG but sure many wanted those changes. Point is you can't really judge the state of any game and what should or shouldn't be changed by a group of angry people roaming the forums.  This is the sort of vision I like in a dev http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success and believe this game is a product of this vision and the future looking forward looks good for this game imho.
      So then we are only allowed to voice ourselves when it lines up with public opinion? Otherwise we are told to go away and shut up. Well, if that's the case, someone should make a forum site and call it PositivelyMMORPG.com and then they can dictate the nature of the content
    That hasn't been my point and I don't think it's Aerowyn's either.  My point has been, if you like a game but have some critiques of it.  By all means let yourself be heard.  But keep in mind that the best place to voice your opinion is on the official forums, especially if you follow the rules of those forums.  On the other hand, if you try a game, and you find you don't like the most basic aspects of that game (lore, gameplay, graphic design, PvP, etc.), why the hell would you bother going on an unofficial site and complain about it?  Write that $60 off as a loss and move on to a game you do like. 
      Does that not defeat the whole premise of this website to voice your video game experiences?
    Not in my opinion.  I use this site to talk about topics that interest me, such as games I like.  I don't play WoW because of the sub fee.  So, I don't go on WoW's thread and talk about them changing their business model to suit me.  I didn't like Mytheon.  I stopped playing the game and didn't even bother with commenting on it because it was the gameplay itself that was the problem for me.  I like GW2 and LotRO so I've talked about them.  I'll critique them on this site when things are done I don't like and if I feel it's necessary to talk about it.  (I'm not going to cry that I didn't get enough gold from a boss or something like that unless it's a bug in the game)     Each game on this site has a review (or hype) area.  These are the areas you can state your opinion, good or bad, about a particular game.  You can also state those opinions in a game thread if you want.  What I'm getting at is:  If you don't like the game and there really isn't a way you're going to like the game without fundamental changes in how it plays or looks or whatever, why bother creating threads about it?  What purpose does it serve other than to call attention to yourself?  I just don't understand the thinking behind not liking a game and yet continuing to talk about it. 
      Good opinion. Now lets talk facts: this website can facilitate a way to voice your video game experiences. You can do this if you abide by the rules of the website
    Yes.  I get that.  You can make an ass out of yourself on this website if you want.  You can also write reasoned, thoughtful posts as well.  As long as you follow the rules.

Yet, no one has answered my question:  Why do you feel the need to talk about a game you don't like and never will unless it becomes it's own opposite?  Sure you CAN talk about it all you want.  Buy why would you WANT to.

Ultimately what's the difference? Look what happens when a game is discussed without moderation? So many times, people who want to criticize games are bashed as spreading misinformation. And really, who were some of the biggest offenders of spreading misinformation? (It came from both sides) So while you say, don't come here and ruin my game (I don't see how that's possible) I say If the fans would have allowed people to paint a real picture of it in the 1st place, maybe some people wouldn't have gotten all excited when they come here and read about it. Then they wouldn't have wasted money on it. But now that they have, they can come here and discuss their disappointment so maybe the next person doesn't get the wrong ideas about this game and so they won't be so inclined to visit these forums and rain on the parade. BTW, I bought it too so it's as much my game as it is anyone else's.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by R3volv3R

MMO's are supposed to be challenging and last long,hell football manager keeps me occupied for a couple of months each year.

Am i supposed to be bored of an MMO after 3 weeks?

Can anyone tell me one exciting thing to do playing gw2 everyday for a couple of hours

after having explored the map

after having exotic items

after painting your armor in all the varieties  of rainbow colours -as if i care-

How is it fun to kill random ppl without a purpose? 

Isnt it the same with killing mobs in an offline game?

Maybe i bought the wrong game but im still waiting for some proper answers/thoughts/suggestions

Should any of us think it's fun after a couple of hours a day

digging for archeology items

flying around doing dailies

awaiting dungeon groups in a lobby in town for hours

How is it fun to stand around watching a dead world where the mobs only walk in a 3 point location never changing?

Isn't it the same with a DOTA game?

See what I did there? P2P games can sound boring as well when put into this context (described WoW and MoP played MoP beta and that's seriously all they have to do AGAIN)

You are. Seriously like i posted before, absolutely nothing was hidden from the public (accept the shop items) while producing this title. 

Why is it the game developers fault that you don't like the style of game this is? And why is it anyone elses fault that you didn't spend the time gathering the data you needed to make an informed decision about the game before purchasing? We  still haven't gotten an answer to those two questions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Because he paid as much for the game as you. These are MMOs, they are on going and they evolve. In light of recent developments, it's obvious that the game experience you have one day will always be the same going forward. So he has as much right to let the developers (or anyone else who is openly discussing the game) know what he's pleased and displeased about in hopes of getting it changed.
    true but don't be surprised if people don't want the changes you are asking for and are happy with how the game turned out. Forums have always been a very vocal minority so if most people are ingame having fun who are you going to listen to as a developer? Who knows what's best and not? I thought NGE destroyed SWG but sure many wanted those changes. Point is you can't really judge the state of any game and what should or shouldn't be changed by a group of angry people roaming the forums.  This is the sort of vision I like in a dev http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success and believe this game is a product of this vision and the future looking forward looks good for this game imho.
      So then we are only allowed to voice ourselves when it lines up with public opinion? Otherwise we are told to go away and shut up. Well, if that's the case, someone should make a forum site and call it PositivelyMMORPG.com and then they can dictate the nature of the content
    That hasn't been my point and I don't think it's Aerowyn's either.  My point has been, if you like a game but have some critiques of it.  By all means let yourself be heard.  But keep in mind that the best place to voice your opinion is on the official forums, especially if you follow the rules of those forums.  On the other hand, if you try a game, and you find you don't like the most basic aspects of that game (lore, gameplay, graphic design, PvP, etc.), why the hell would you bother going on an unofficial site and complain about it?  Write that $60 off as a loss and move on to a game you do like. 
      Does that not defeat the whole premise of this website to voice your video game experiences?
    Not in my opinion.  I use this site to talk about topics that interest me, such as games I like.  I don't play WoW because of the sub fee.  So, I don't go on WoW's thread and talk about them changing their business model to suit me.  I didn't like Mytheon.  I stopped playing the game and didn't even bother with commenting on it because it was the gameplay itself that was the problem for me.  I like GW2 and LotRO so I've talked about them.  I'll critique them on this site when things are done I don't like and if I feel it's necessary to talk about it.  (I'm not going to cry that I didn't get enough gold from a boss or something like that unless it's a bug in the game)     Each game on this site has a review (or hype) area.  These are the areas you can state your opinion, good or bad, about a particular game.  You can also state those opinions in a game thread if you want.  What I'm getting at is:  If you don't like the game and there really isn't a way you're going to like the game without fundamental changes in how it plays or looks or whatever, why bother creating threads about it?  What purpose does it serve other than to call attention to yourself?  I just don't understand the thinking behind not liking a game and yet continuing to talk about it. 
      Good opinion. Now lets talk facts: this website can facilitate a way to voice your video game experiences. You can do this if you abide by the rules of the website
    Yes.  I get that.  You can make an ass out of yourself on this website if you want.  You can also write reasoned, thoughtful posts as well.  As long as you follow the rules.

Yet, no one has answered my question:  Why do you feel the need to talk about a game you don't like and never will unless it becomes it's own opposite?  Sure you CAN talk about it all you want.  Buy why would you WANT to.

Ultimately what's the difference? Look what happens when a game is discussed without moderation? So many times, people who want to criticize games are bashed as spreading misinformation. And really, who were some of the biggest offenders of spreading misinformation? So while you say, don't come here and ruin my game (I don't see how that's possible) I say If the fans would have allowed people to paint a real picture of it in the 1st place, maybe some people wouldn't have gotten all excited when they come here and read about it. Then they wouldn't have wasted money on it. But now that they have, they can come here and discuss their disappointment so maybe the next person doesn't get the wrong ideas about this game and so they won't be so inclined to visit these forums and rain on the parade. BTW, I bought it too so it's as much my game as it is anyone else's.

You say it's the fans fault. I say it's the readers fault. Quite simply there were pleanty of rational listings of posts containing nothing but data (not opinion) in these VERY same forums that showed exactly what type of game this was looooooooong before anyone saw a release of any kind.

So now since that's all he read were posts by people gushing over the game because those who were gushing had actually taken the time to read the posts on the data of the content and features of the game, somehow it's the fans fault that this guy as well as others didn't actually READ anything on the data of the game (features. goals. etc)?

nice try. once again another logical fallacy as an argument. It's not the fan's or anyone elses responsibility to ensure that people are well informed or there would be men in black vans forcing people at gunpoint ot read what they should read prior to any launch.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by GeezerGamer     Because he paid as much for the game as you. These are MMOs, they are on going and they evolve. In light of recent developments, it's obvious that the game experience you have one day will always be the same going forward. So he has as much right to let the developers (or anyone else who is openly discussing the game) know what he's pleased and displeased about in hopes of getting it changed.
    Where did she say to shut up and not voice your opinion?  I think she's saying your argument and agenda is pointless and won't go anywhere, not that you shouldn't have an opinion.  This sort of invented victimization is ridiculous.

Really the argument is ridiculous and you should learn to choose your battles.  This has about as much of a chance as going someplace as arguing that RIFT and WoW should do away with progression raiding.  It's not going to happen and it would piss off a huge chunk of their player base.

OK, really, you should calm down. Had you followed this thread, I was never the victim here. I did, however, take issue with something someone said to someone else entirely. That's when Aerowyn responded to my statement. It really does help to go back and read the whole thread so you don't look foolish when you take a post out of context and get all aggressive like.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Originally posted by lifeordinary

Originally posted by Aerowyn any game is meaningless if you aren't having fun.. millions of games out there if one isn't your cup of tea it's not hard to move on and find one you like. If you can't find one you like i'd honestly suggest a new hobby
      These responses are getting old "don't like it F**k off" i mean the man spent his money and should be able to voice his problems with the product.  
    not as annoying as your comments.. but that's another thread.. take care:)
    No but seriously you need to stop telling people to stop posting or find another hobby in almsot every post. This is an open forum not a fan site so people are free to complain and praise GW2 as much as they like.  
    where did I say he could not voice his opinion in that sentance I wrote?

Probably somewhere between you should play another game and find another hobby :)

Well, I for one do not see it. 

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by evolver1972 Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by evolver1972 Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by evolver1972 Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by GeezerGamer    
    Yes.  I get that.  You can make an ass out of yourself on this website if you want.  You can also write reasoned, thoughtful posts as well.  As long as you follow the rules.     Yet, no one has answered my question:  Why do you feel the need to talk about a game you don't like and never will unless it becomes it's own opposite?  Sure you CAN talk about it all you want.  Buy why would you WANT to.
      Ultimately what's the difference? Look what happens when a game is discussed without moderation? So many times, people who want to criticize games are bashed as spreading misinformation. And really, who were some of the biggest offenders of spreading misinformation? So while you say, don't come here and ruin my game (I don't see how that's possible) I say If the fans would have allowed people to paint a real picture of it in the 1st place, maybe some people wouldn't have gotten all excited when they come here and read about it. Then they wouldn't have wasted money on it. But now that they have, they can come here and discuss their disappointment so maybe the next person doesn't get the wrong ideas about this game and so they won't be so inclined to visit these forums and rain on the parade. BTW, I bought it too so it's as much my game as it is anyone else's.
    You say it's the fans fault. I say it's the readers fault. Quite simply there were pleanty of rational listings of posts containing nothing but data (not opinion) in these VERY same forums that showed exactly what type of game this was looooooooong before anyone saw a release of any kind.

So now since that's all he read were posts by people gushing over the game because those who were gushing had actually taken the time to read the posts on the data of the content and features of the game, somehow it's the fans fault that this guy as well as others didn't actually READ anything on the data of the game (features. goals. etc)?

nice try. once again another logical fallacy as an argument. It's not the fan's or anyone elses responsibility to ensure that people are well informed or there would be men in black vans forcing people at gunpoint ot read what they should read prior to any launch.

I had to go back and try to make sense of what you were saying a couple times because for a second there I thought you had clicked on the wrong post to quote.

Should you decide you want to discuss everyone's right to post here, let me know because that's what I was on.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Originally posted by Aerowyn any game is meaningless if you aren't having fun.. millions of games out there if one isn't your cup of tea it's not hard to move on and find one you like. If you can't find one you like i'd honestly suggest a new hobby
      These responses are getting old "don't like it F**k off" i mean the man spent his money and should be able to voice his problems with the product.  
    not as annoying as your comments.. but that's another thread.. take care:)
    No but seriously you need to stop telling people to stop posting or find another hobby in almsot every post. This is an open forum not a fan site so people are free to complain and praise GW2 as much as they like.  
    where did I say he could not voice his opinion in that sentance I wrote?

Probably somewhere between you should play another game and find another hobby :)

Well, I for one do not see it. 

Edit:  Horrible job chopping down quotes. 

Yeah, context is everything, and it seems someone's taking two different comments out of context. 

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Awwwww... Blaming the fans. I have posted several well put arguments about this game throughout the forums. But they seem to lost in time... Funny how people who dislike the game shun blatant this game is awesome posts and praise posts that dislike the game. Oh and they also call everyone who likes the game fanboys and say they are liars and cheats and "didn't allow players to paint a real picture of the game" which I have attempted as a fan to do several times... Only to be lost in the depth of the forums. Selective sight I guess?

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

MMorpgs were about continuity, about getting challenged to be better, play more, trying to achieve something that seemed impossible at the begining.

How about GW2? 

You reach 80 in like 10-15 days, u get the best available equipment easier than any other game.

You cant make any money by farming or using the TP (spending 20g to get 21 isnt money making...)

Everything is about dyes and better looking armor as if it is a fashion show.

Every mob is aggro, so you have to kill everything to get pass through an area even if you are 60 lvl higher due to lvl scale.

Jumping around like a goat to get vistas for a mystic coin. 

Having 100% explored for 50 copper and a blue trash item.

Dungeons are a joke and rewards even bigger joke.

No raid bosses that require strategy and months of preparation.

WvW should be about getting a castle with your guild and keep it for a certain amount of time until someone sieges you. (like lineage2) .

Spvp without ranking system? i know better looking items...

Equality ruins every MMO.

I mean one who is a good player or plays many hours should have more benefits from one who is bad or plays less.

Im still searching for an mmo without instances, with decent graphics,strategy, where your actions matter and there are consequences when u kill/die.

Enough with these mainstream carebear games!

What you are looking for is coming from Asia.

Keep an eye out for Blade & Soul.

(Although it does have instances!)

Pretty much this. Western MMO's are somewhat done with the grind and all that. Have you played through Ascalonian Catacombs? Try finish it in story and explorer and come tell me it's carebear-ish. And yes what you speak of where more time invested = more power does exist. The tokens you earn from these dungeons allow you to buy gear. It's like... say valor points from WoW. Only just a lot more damn frustrating to get... (for me atleast) x_x

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46

any game is meaningless if you aren't having fun.. millions of games out there if one isn't your cup of tea it's not hard to move on and find one you like. If you can't find one you like i'd honestly suggest a new hobby

He's welcome to voice his opinion.  But wouldn't it make more sense not to spend money in the first place on a game that obvously doesn't have what you want in a game?  Or to move on as soon as you find it doesn't have it if you somehow missed that before buying?  There's no sub so you could just check back every 3-6 months and see if they turned it into a completely different game and drove away all their other players in order to satisfy your particular wants.  :)

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Its called EVE online
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

MMorpgs were about continuity, about getting challenged to be better, play more, trying to achieve something that seemed impossible at the begining.

How about GW2? 

You reach 80 in like 10-15 days, u get the best available equipment easier than any other game.

You cant make any money by farming or using the TP (spending 20g to get 21 isnt money making...)

Everything is about dyes and better looking armor as if it is a fashion show.

Every mob is aggro, so you have to kill everything to get pass through an area even if you are 60 lvl higher due to lvl scale.

Jumping around like a goat to get vistas for a mystic coin. 

Having 100% explored for 50 copper and a blue trash item.

Dungeons are a joke and rewards even bigger joke.

No raid bosses that require strategy and months of preparation.

WvW should be about getting a castle with your guild and keep it for a certain amount of time until someone sieges you. (like lineage2) .

Spvp without ranking system? i know better looking items...

Equality ruins every MMO.

I mean one who is a good player or plays many hours should have more benefits from one who is bad or plays less.

Im still searching for an mmo without instances, with decent graphics,strategy, where your actions matter and there are consequences when u kill/die.

Enough with these mainstream carebear games!

Its called EVE online

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by prpshrt

Pretty much this. Western MMO's are somewhat done with the grind and all that. Have you played through Ascalonian Catacombs? Try finish it in story and explorer and come tell me it's carebear-ish. And yes what you speak of where more time invested = more power does exist. The tokens you earn from these dungeons allow you to buy gear. It's like... say valor points from WoW. Only just a lot more damn frustrating to get... (for me atleast) x_x

I think quite the opposite is happening. Western mmorpgs have always set the precendence in terms of grind. They just try to invent new ways to hide them. For example, if you go for karma gear in GW2 that you mention, you need roughly 500.000 (250.000 for the armor sets, 100.000 for the accessories, 150.000 for the two set of weapons). Or go for tokens from dungeon and have to do 100s of runs on each.

But grinding in general is not a problem. As long as the process is fun for the individual doing it, then the long term goal or long term milestone can be a good thing in the end. Problems arise only when the individual is doing this hard and lengthy tasks only to get to another part of the game that he enjoys, thus ruining the overall experience in the process.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The most meaningless thing is a 20 pages discussion about this. Time to end this, all good and bad points were made in 2 pages.
  • EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Loke666
    The most meaningless thing is a 20 pages discussion about this. Time to end this, all good and bad points were made in 2 pages.

Correct,,,but I still wanna say something(plz dont hate me)

Every MMO is meaningless, and Ive play near 50 of them. It the reason I quit them. It also been where I am half way through to max lvl and I start seeing everything being the same.

I start seeing how this will really not help anyone, how the next gear set is only what I got. With a bit of stats upgrad.

The new skills are the same as well, with a bit of twist and it gets boring as hell.

So what I usually d  to lenght my time in the MMO.

I go back to low area's and start randomly helping newbis. Making stuff for them, teaching them about the game and much more.

Can do this for 1-7days, so about a week. Then I quit the MMO after I give all my stuff away.

Saying all that, Gw2 feel different to me. The JP in WvW eb, I love doing and I love protecting it. Can either tele armies of friend to the end and they get 2+ siege equipment each really fast, are hold back gaint armies of enemies.

Also I am a big fashion person(in guild I am rank fashion adviser caption) I love making different armor set and such.

Play since the headstart and only on one toon. Play for a good 8hrs+ a day and only lvl 69. 

Maybe I have the same feeling one day, but for now already this is one of the longest ive play a MMO. Only a very few did Iplay near a month are more.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    People look for meaning in video games? i mean if i am having fun that is all i am looking for.

Exactly. :-) At the end I do not care if I have to jump like a goat or alike ... at the end, with good and bad combined, only thing that is important ... is FUN to play some game? And for sure Gw2 for now is very fun to me, as it is SWTOR, WOW, Rift, ... was Resident evil on my ps2, even pacman once. Now my source of fun with games (of course there are and should be other fun things away from keyboard) are GW2, SWTOR, WOW and Rift. All the rest are no longer so fun to make me skip this mentioned before. Maybe after they do some fixups I would like to try again TSW, game with great potential if not for Funcom.

• captainnlcaptainnl Member Posts: 70

any game is meaningless if you aren't having fun.. millions of games out there if one isn't your cup of tea it's not hard to move on and find one you like. If you can't find one you like i'd honestly suggest a new hobby

The rants about GW2 are getting even older. I mean come on... I believe no other developer has been so open as Anet before GW2's release. We knew exactly what we would get! If your hype blinded you, that is your problem and not the game's fault.