Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest X-fire numbers?

1235»

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I love how everyone who replied to my post thought I was only referring to aesthetics.  lol
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I love how everyone who replied to my post thought I was only referring to aesthetics.  lol

No, I think we understood what you meant.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Sicae

The modern gamer gets hyped up months before launch of a game, buys it at release, spend huge amount of time on their new game during the first two weeks and then quickly get tired of the game, whines on forums and then start hyping up about a new game.

GW2's drop on xfire is because of how the modern gamer plays new games. Quality of the game will determine how many players buy the first expansion.

That's about half of it.

The other half of it is the fact that GW2 is a very formulaic MMO.  No significant new features, just the same quest-based leveling experience we've had since WOW launched in 2004.

Eventually a developer will alter the formula and combine it with good quality control and we'll see another hit MMO.  Until then...

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Chieftan
    Originally posted by Sicae

The modern gamer gets hyped up months before launch of a game, buys it at release, spend huge amount of time on their new game during the first two weeks and then quickly get tired of the game, whines on forums and then start hyping up about a new game.

GW2's drop on xfire is because of how the modern gamer plays new games. Quality of the game will determine how many players buy the first expansion.

That's about half of it.

The other half of it is the fact that GW2 is a very formulaic MMO.  No significant new features, just the same quest-based leveling experience we've had since WOW launched in 2004.

Eventually a developer will alter the formula and combine it with good quality control and we'll see another hit MMO.  Until then...

You are correct about the other half. I find that the levelling formula still works in these kind of games, its the endgame that fails to keep people playing.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Just looking at the chart at http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 it's easy to see that gw2's population is shrinking very quickly. And the best is yet to come (MoP).

That's nonsense. All it shows is that players are playing fewer hours. There is no correlation with population at all.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Just looking at the chart at http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 it's easy to see that gw2's population is shrinking very quickly. And the best is yet to come (MoP).

that's not what I see.

(not a gw2 player btw).

the decline is descelerating. the game is approaching stability. naturally stability is below the peak not above it otherwise it wouldn't be called a peak.

the final datapoint is abnormal, that does show accelerated decline but I won't make predictions out of 1 datapoint.

edit: Phry, i know the words "steady decline" sound cool and all but the quadratic curve I'm looking at is the exact opposite of 'steady'. a straight line is steady. a parabola is not steady.

It doesn't matter if the decline is deccelerating or steady. What matters is that there is a decline already (not even 1 month after launch). Successful MMOs usually GROW in numbers for the first few years, then they peak and then they start losing players. 

BTW It's very noticable when doing DEs in level 20-60 zones nowadays. I see myself skipping most of the group events (because I can't find other people) which never happened when I got my first char to 80. 

But that's hours per day? You will see the decline with every game after release since people play the most in the beginning, doing world firsts and finding stuff out, having gameplay marathons and taking days off from work. Not saying that GW2 wont decline, there seems to be quite a few people who had no idea of what the game would be like, against their expectations. Need more time to determine that.

Just saying, I doubt even MoP will have more hours one month down the line when people have done leveling and enter the farming phase, they just log in to do dailies and to follow the raid shcedule, even if the active numbers stay the same or even increase.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I wonder why you wonder because in no way x-fire is representative for the mmo community's opinion. In most games where I mentioned to my guilds that I was an xfire the majority didn't even know what it was and those that did were not using it.

If you're an active member in that community I can understand you might want to know how your fellow members think about it, but then you would already know how to find those figures.

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by lilHeala

I wonder why you wonder because in no way x-fire is representative for the mmo community's opinion. In most games where I mentioned to my guilds that I was an xfire the majority didn't even know what it was and those that did were not using it.

If you're an active member in that community I can understand you might want to know how your fellow members think about it, but then you would already know how to find those figures.

What they are look for is trends. Of course Xfire or Raptor are not really representative of the overall community. But they are an somewhat ok pool of people from different ages to give you an overall idea of the game. Mind you that most of the people are playing LoL but also other games are up on the chain and you can use those numbers to relate it to popularity. YOu wont find actual subs numbers but it is evident that if the Xfire or Raptor numbers diminish then you can extrapolate 2 things, either the Xfire community left Gw2 (highly unlikely), or that the game is in deed seeing less people lpaying it. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Best kid's game, maybe.

And you don't have the population statistics for GW2, the only evidence is that people are playing less than they did at launch.  That happens to every MMO.

Correction: That happens to every FAILED MMO. It didn't happen to successful MMOs like WoW, EQ, DAoC etc. Their populations kept rising for the first few years (4-5 years in WoW's case)

And I never implied MoP is "the best" at anything, I just mean that GW2's population will have a huge drop at MoP release. The question is: how many of those who leave for MoP will come back to gw2? To be continued...

3 days until MoP releases and nearly none is speaking about it. Guild Wars 2 has, actually, far mroe affect on WoW, than WoW has on it!

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by sr7olsniper
    Originally posted by lilHeala

What they are look for is trends. Of course Xfire or Raptor are not really representative of the overall community. But they are an somewhat ok pool of people from different ages to give you an overall idea of the game. Mind you that most of the people are playing LoL but also other games are up on the chain and you can use those numbers to relate it to popularity. YOu wont find actual subs numbers but it is evident that if the Xfire or Raptor numbers diminish then you can extrapolate 2 things, either the Xfire community left Gw2 (highly unlikely), or that the game is in deed seeing less people lpaying it. 

Think about how Xfire gathers its data and what it actually measures. Then think about what you said in the orange bit.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

This thread should have waited until it drops back below WoW.  It will do so in a few days and most likely stay below WoW  thereafter.  That of course is just my educated guess on the future of GW2. Servers are "stabilizing" or without the hype spin, less people are smashing the servers with requests.  Xfire hours dropping at a steady rate.  The number of admittingly unhappy fans of the game has dramaticly increased since launch.  The game that can do no wrong as now pissed off more than a few people. 

GW2 will end up like D3. Though it will not sell 10 million copies that quickly, it will be popular and then people get bored and notice it's a hollow shell that is still nothing more than a gear grind  repeating the same content over and over.  Nothing is going to kill GW2, not even MoP.  GW2 has already killed itself.  It just doesn't know it yet.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by Clocksimus

This thread should have waited until it drops back below WoW.  It will do so in a few days and most likely stay below WoW  thereafter.  That of course is just my educated guess on the future of GW2. Servers are "stabilizing" or without the hype spin, less people are smashing the servers with requests.  Xfire hours dropping at a steady rate.  The number of admittingly unhappy fans of the game has dramaticly increased since launch.  The game that can do no wrong as now pissed off more than a few people. 

GW2 will end up like D3. Though it will not sell 10 million copies that quickly, it will be popular and then people get bored and notice it's a hollow shell that is still nothing more than a gear grind  repeating the same content over and over.  Nothing is going to kill GW2, not even MoP.  GW2 has already killed itself.  It just doesn't know it yet.

Peak:

Average playtime of a GW2 xfire user: 7.5 hours a day

Now:

Average playtime of a GW2 xfire user: 3.9 hours a day

Average playtime of a WoW xfire user: 3.6 hours a day.

Average playtime of WoW, Aion, TERA, Rift, SWTOR, EvE, LotR xfire user: 4.0

The game has settled over the past month. Thats not a "spin" thats objective fact.

You must have meant "ignorant denial" not "educated guess".

The  peak was on launch where people skipped work/sleep/bathing/taking care of their chidlren to play the game for arguably an excessive amount of time. This was also at the end of summer, before school and was also on a weekend.  That is why GW2 never got back to its peak at lauch considering the timing.

It is now  a weekend and GW2 has not even seen an increase in players on a friday night -http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

LoL a game with a 'stable' playerbase has seen an increase as it always does every weekend-http://beta.xfire.com/games/lol

The rate of which players are leaving would have stopped and leveled out this coming week or next if not for the launch of MoP which will hurt GW2.  I also strongly believe that if any other AAA MMO was close to launch even less people would be interested in investing more time  on GW2.  GW2 is the current MMO because "there is nothing else to play". All of course just my opinion on the matter.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

The trend is clearly downwards. You can always try to justify it with other game releases, but that does not change the fact. The same also applies to most previous releases. The beauty of GW2 is that you can really come and go as you please after the initial purchase. This makes it easier to jump in and out to go and have a look at the grass on the other side of the fence.

I never really put too much faith on the X-fire numbers nor does the overall number of players mean that much to me. If you are having fun, why would you care if others aren't? Naturally, if all your friends are quitting, it might affect your enjoyment of the game as well.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

This discussion has been closed.