Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MONTHLY FEE = NO GO

khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

To restate my point, its the quality of the gameplay, UI, etc. that I am saying people will not pay for unless it is actually modernized and working. Why would we pay monthly  for a buggy half game stil in development when we can play GW2 free and so many other games.

Darkfall should be THE GAME! I want aventurine to finish the game and make sure the gameplay is top notch before release, if not they will probably just disappear if this game has the same fanbase and problems as the last.

UPDATE: Yes I know GW2 get boring fast. I know a lot of people want a sandbox game, but every andbox game that comes out even though so many say they are so desperate for one, all fail. All die fast with very low playerbases and then shutdown.

Thats why I am saying AV better make sure the quality of the gameplay is up to AAA standards this time. Even though many of us are dying for a sandbox pvp game, we will all leave if it has bad gameplay and mechanincs and performance again.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Comments

• nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars [mod edit] oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, [mod edit]
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by khameleon

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE. 

If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.

Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

A ftp or freemium model will not work in a sandbox title.

• kuntakintaykuntakintay Member Posts: 44

Darkfall 1 was a huge disappointment after we waited so many, many years for it. NOw I know we have no great MMORPG right now, but we do have good games such as GW2 with AAA graphics, sound and PVE.  If a game with the quality of GW2 has no monthly fee, I know for sure very, very few people will pay a monthly fee for this game. It will have better quality, but I am certain it will still be full of problems and it will not have modern graphics compared to games such as GW2 and the rest of the new games.Yea we all want PVP, sandbox, etc. but over $200 a year for games full of bugs and that are not AAA quality is not going to work.

until there is another fps style rpg with full loot i will be playing and paying for this game.

gw2 and darkfall are completely different, i would never want to play gw2 as just killing over and over again with no risk/reward is very boring to me, there is really no feeling like getting a kill and looting the corpse of another person
  • wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I prefer paying monthly rather than item malls. They will find a way to suck your money in F2P format, and there's always the threat of it being Pay to Win...
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Got it.  You aren't going to play.

I self identify as a monkey.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I think the people interested in DFUW don't really care about graphics, sound and even less about PvE. 

Also, people fussing over 15 bucks a month for unlimited entertainment need a serious reality check.

• kuntakintaykuntakintay Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Failings

I think the people interested in DFUW don't really care about graphics, sound and even less about PvE. Also, people fussing over 15 bucks a month for unlimited entertainment need a serious reality check. 

darkfall has great pve, ive played at least 20 mmo's and by far darkfall was the most fun.. the pvp was the most fun too, but it had a large list of issues that i didnt like, but it seems like a lot of them are being fixed in uw
  • 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Your overlooking the most important thing:  "what is actually fun and entertaining for me to play"  I would much rather spend $15 a month on something fun.  If you cannot understand why you pay for Darkfall then just stay with gw2, personally i didn't even buy gw2 as themeparks on rails with small time pvp don't interest me.  And yes at 300 people max in W v W v W I consider that small, in Darkfall thats just a siege and with a healthy darkfall population that would be a small siege.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

Prob 30 bucks for the game then 15 a month standard. And perhaps 10 a month for those that sub to 6 months +.

I'm ready!! Take my money!!

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

Lol, comparing full loot full persistence PvP of Darkfall to inconsequential tourney game of GW2.

People pay $1000+ for kick starter funding for the idea of a game they would like to play, even with a plethora of free to play games around.  I don't see an issue with a game charging a sub if it provides the gameplay people are looking for.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Any game which features FFA full loot PvP will always be a failure because its about as niche an audience as you can get.  This is the main reason why there isnt a AAA sandbox because they all follow this model.  Until a Dev team can implement a truely PvE sandbox exoerience then all sandboxes will fail.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Any game which features FFA full loot PvP will always be a failure because its about as niche an audience as you can get.  This is the main reason why there isnt a AAA sandbox because they all follow this model.  Until a Dev team can implement a truely PvE sandbox exoerience then all sandboxes will fail.

Well, beside the graphics ( and control ), I call Runescape an AAA+++ sandbox :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Except Darkfall is still going and the sequel is being released in 2 months, if it was a failure it would have been closed down long ago.  The goal of the makers of Darkfall is a game that they would want to play, not to simply milk as much money out of their subscribers as they can which is the typcal goal of AAA dev's and the current themepark trend.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

As Tallahasse would say "time to nut up or shut up"  (Zombieland)

Seriously, you can't possibly think paying a sub fee for any MMORPG, DF or otherwise is any big deal, regardless how ANET did it with GW2.  If the game is something you are looking for and is fun, you'll be happy to pay the piper so to speak.

If it's beyond your price range, you're in the wrong genre, and fortunately, you have a title that is more to your liking.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I'm just going to say it....

Themeparks are perfectly viable for Item-Mall B2P or F2P. The only competitive nature of themeparks is against yourself so there's not much an issue with PayToWin.

Sandboxes howvever, are required to be subscription fee to keep it balanced and fair.

Monthly Fee == YAY!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well yes! Go sub go!  Why are you guys from gw2 so afraid for your beloved F2P game? It is over with gw2 hype, now is time for new games like this one.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Nope, Never gonna do a F2P Cash Shop driven open PVP Sandbox. Nope Not ever.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Nope. there's a market. May be niche, but it's there.
  • ParchmentParchment Member Posts: 24

I couldn't really see a sandbox going free-to-play, well, minus Wurm which has more of a free-trial option or Second Life which is social based and doesn't have any 'hardcoded' objectives or PvE.

In a game like Darkfall, where crafting, PvP advantages, and twitch-based combat are the main focus, a item mall of sorts would completely ruin the point of playing. Why spend all your time skilling up your character or searching for materials when someone can just go buy them or an advantage in an item shop? Why spend all your time defending your Guild's town when someone can just go and buy their way to victory?

Perhaps Darkfall could have something like Wurm does ... where you can play the game free but there is a skill cap relatively early on ... but other than that ... it should be expected that Darkfall:UW will have a monthly fee. There has been a F2P sandboxe that tried to implement in-game currency purchasing (I won't mention any names) and all it led to was a bunch of drama and one really frustrated playerbase.

One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Twitch combat, full loot, not-so-AAA quality... Not my type of game, therefore not worth a cent from my pocket every month. I would try it for free tho

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Anyone dealing in absolutes will always be a moron. See what I did there? Most probably not...

Also you're flat out wrong. EvE is still alive and well after almost 10 years and Adventurine, as a previous poster pointed out, hasn't filed for bankrupcy, so how can you say they've failed?

You're right about FFA full loot PvP only appealing to a small crowd though and I hope it remains that way.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by nondogg13
    15x12=180 you can also pay for 6 months for 60 dollar so 120 a year. guildwars  made you buy a new expansion every 6 mounts each expansion totaling 60 dollars [mod edit] oh and guildwars 2 isn't a persistant sandbox world with open pvp and full loot, [mod edit]

Oh sweet, so DF:UW is going to give us an expantion the size of a GW expantion for that $60 every 6 months? Then yeah, sign me up. Or were you comparing getting the equivilant of another game for $60 to paying $60 every 6 months to continue playing the exact same thing? 

I have nothing against pay to play, but I couldn't let that asinine comparison go by without a word. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Sounds to me BRAA that there's this little game that you might want to play instead, as a matter of fact you mention it not one, not two, but three times in your post.  So go play it.

We really dont need someone to tell us that DF is not GW2.  Every game will not suddenly be like GW2 because you think it should be.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

EDIT: TLDR version -- MONTHLY FEE = GOGOGOGOGO*

*Assuming AV earns their pay and keeps the game updated with sandbox tools, debugged and exploit free.

Darkfall is still the best gaming experience I've ever had. I would never compare GW2 with DF. They are not at all alike and will definitely not attract a huge overlap of the same players.  After DF2 launches, there will be the usual massive influx of new players, then the QQ-ing will start, then after 2 or 3 months the core community will be left and people will come here and post how DF2 failed.

But DF2 will be fine. It will probably attract more people than DF did and retain a small number  more if it's done well. That part is still wait and see, of course. I don't know why, but I do have faith in AV.

Now about F2P, DF2 would be spectacularly successful if they made Dwarves the free race and you had to pay to unlock the awesomeness of Orks. Just kidding. I don't think F2P would work so well in a full-loot ffa pvp title. I could be wrong, but I find it hard to imagine there is a lot of stuff that people would buy that wouldn't become p2w unless it was cosmetic stuff. But why would you buy what can be taken? 

Maybe you could sell cosmetic armor plans for crafters who could learn them and then  be able to retain them.  Of course there is always bank tabs, and bag space you could sell, too, but if DF2 retains encumbrance, I don't think bag space is viable.  I think there are enough people who will pay a sub for DF to satisfy AV if they do their job right.

I heard there is also going to be a F2P version of DF in Asia.  I don't know much about that, but since I'm in Asia and latency is an issue in fps pvp games, I'd like to know.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Oh sweet, so DF:UW is going to give us an expantion the size of a GW expantion for that $60 every 6 months? Then yeah, sign me up. Or were you comparing getting the equivilant of another game for $60 to paying $60 every 6 months to continue playing the exact same thing? 

I have nothing against pay to play, but I couldn't let that asinine comparison go by without a word. 

[mod edit]

monthly fee goes to the employees pocket and server cost. all changes to mobs, drops, skills, and most importantly constantly evolving pvp are a side effect.

Where GW will worry about the next ride for the theme park Darkfall will have to worry about its next sandbox play area. Same stuff different names here.

Suggestions are always taken into consideration regardless of games, if its a smart and needed idea then im sure it will go in. Not unique to Darkfall.

If Arenanet does 1 expansion a year or even 1 every 2 years(dont know yet) then it is cheaper than playing Darkfall.

People say 6 months sub is $60 = GW2 expansion probably 60 if 1 a year

1 every 2 years: darkfall $120 = Gw2 $60.

Please use spaces, helps to read and its just better.