Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I have to ask...

Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158

Has anyone else had the pleasure of seeing their account online without actually being the one playing? :)

Last night my friends came over with their laptops and played together. After about a half hour in they ask me if I am online. Well, obviously I was not. I have been dealing with account login issues for some time now, and it wasn't until last night that I realized I have been hacked. To top it all of, NCsoft does not have a number you can call to speak to a customer representative, so when I found out my support login account was hacked as well, I was a little dumbfounded as to what to do next. Fortunately I could change my password on that for some reason but not my actual fucking account. -_- Alright done ranting, just pissed off because this game is awesome and this bullshit is slowly turning me against it.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    How do you think you got hacked?
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Common issue is reusing account names and passwords. For example, all they need to do is hack a fan forum you visit, and all of a sudden they have the login info for your games.

Which is why I think authenticators are such a good thing.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

You got compromised due to your account information being available elsewhere.

You could have prevented this by heeding the numerous warnings ANet has given on the subject and changing to a unique pass you only use for GW2.

You chose to ignore the warnings.

You lost access to the account.

You have nobody to blame but yourself.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Orlandough, I was a little dumbfounded as to what to do next.

Perhaps a malwarebytes scan? just throwin it out there.

• Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Kost

Thanks mom. I get it that part, but I couldn't reset my password because they removed that feature and they do not really offer the best solution to fix the problem. 

Also, shouldn't I have the hackers to blame? You know, the dib shits who really wanted my level 18 human warrior?

• Judasgoat98Judasgoat98 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    Originally posted by Orlandough, I was a little dumbfounded as to what to do next.

I reinstalled my entire operating system and saved a few documents.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Orlandough
    Originally posted by Kost

Thanks mom. I get it that part, but I couldn't reset my password because they removed that feature and they do not really offer the best solution to fix the problem. 

I feel for you and that sucks, but I changed my PW just a week or two ago, after all the hacking were going on.

It's kind of stupid ANet doesn't have a live phone number to call, but at the same time, how many people do you think would be calling over bugged DE's and stupid  crap, filling up the call que, heck it'd be a longer que than EB on HoD!!!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Common issue is reusing account names and passwords. For example, all they need to do is hack a fan forum you visit, and all of a sudden they have the login info for your games.

The IP authenticator should be enough. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Has anyone else had the pleasure of seeing their account online without actually being the one playing? :)

Last night my friends came over with their laptops and played together. After about a half hour in they ask me if I am online. Well, obviously I was not. I have been dealing with account login issues for some time now, and it wasn't until last night that I realized I have been hacked. To top it all of, NCsoft does not have a number you can call to speak to a customer representative, so when I found out my support login account was hacked as well, I was a little dumbfounded as to what to do next. Fortunately I could change my password on that for some reason but not my actual fucking account. -_- Alright done ranting, just pissed off because this game is awesome and this bullshit is slowly turning me against it.

You sure your "friends" aren't just screwing with you? :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Zinzan

You sure your "friends" aren't just screwing with you? :)

unlikely.

It is currently not possible to modify the accounts password. The hacker is just as limited in this and thus they will have to settle for a loggin war. Ussually he would have been locked out of his account because the the hacker changed his password.

Either way OP petition support and tell the you want a new PW and why,

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

I reinstalled my entire operating system and saved a few documents.

Anet said it was due to 3rd party sites (fan sites and such) being compromised.  People got user name and passwards from other sites and then checked those user names and passwords to see if they worked in GW2. 

I'm pretty sure that early on I also got a suspicious email that was supposed to be from Anet, that wanted me to click a link and log into my account to verify that it was my account.  Seeemed suspicous because I had already verified my email with Anet.  Seemed a lot like the emails I get a couple of times a week from blizzard telling me to click a link and log into my account because I'm suspected of botting or gold selling and if I don't do what the email says then my account will be banned; Even though my WoW account isn't even active. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by birdycephon

The IP authenticator should be enough. 

No, it's not. Simply because emails can be hacked, but there is little or no chance of them getting their hands on my key fob.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Wait until you hit the diminishing returns wall after 20 minutes of doing a couple DEs and you get to spend an hour afterwards on this forum while waiting for it to reset..

Not so fun..

Playing GW2..

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Mike O'Brien On Account Security

A lot of people may have dismissed this news item as a perfunctory security warnings, but it gives some very important information on securing your account and what Arenanet are doing to make successful account hacking attempts less likely to succeed.

They've been analysing all the hacking attempts and have determined that almost all attempts are going off of lists of username/password combos derived from hacking other sites. They aren't brute-forcing known GW2 account names, in fact most account names being tried are not account names of GW2 players. They try each known combo and move onto the next, until they find a match.

So, first off, really, really listen when they tell you NOT to use the same password you've used any where else for your GW2 account.

However, there is more to that post than just password advice. There are details on some moves they will be making in the coming weeks that will effect everyone.

First, they have decided to shelf their in-house authenticator development and will be using Google Authenticator. This should be available sometime in the next couple weeks.

Second, they have already Blacklisted ALL passwords on the hacked username/password lists the hackers have been using. Not just the combos, but all the passwords. So, from now on, no one will be able to create a GW2 account with any of the over two million passwords the hackers have their hands on.

Third, all current GW2 passwords have been added to the blacklist and EVERYONE will need to update thier account passwords to use a password not on the blacklist with in the next week or two. You can create a new passwrod now and it will be done, but if you haven't changed your password or created your account since the blacklist was created, you will have to change your password.

These steps should all greatly decrease the number of hacked accounts, by forcing all players to change their passwords to a password not on any hacked passwords list, along with the availability of Google Authenticator.

In the meantime, no matter how good your password is, don't use it for GW2 if you've ever used it elsewhere. According to the linked post, most of the passwords the hackers have been using are actually strong passwords, the reason they are vulnerable is because the passwords themselves have been hacked from other sites, some of which may not even be gaming related!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

DOH!!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!