Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard getting sued (and probably every one else)

2»

Comments

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

Patent sues seem to be a new fad these days.

It'll pass eventually.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Here is a video of Drew Curtis, the Owner & Founder of FARK.com discussing how he beat a "patent troll" lawsuit.

it is about 6 minutes, well worth the time if you want to educate yourself on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_lb3D7Ay-M

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

From what I can figure, it looks like the original patent was regected in some way.  Either in part or in whole, which is why they filed for a continuation patent. 

I think maybe they weren't using the technology in any way that the patent became void or something, so they filed a continuation and I guess needed to show that they had interest in the patent, and so filed suit against Activision/ Blizzard. 

It also looks like they weren't the ones that decided to sue anyone.  Instead a patent lawyer approached them with wanting to file suit. 

It is interesting though.  I don't know how many people ever noticed this, but when you play WoW, when a bunch of people are in the same area as you, it will kind of phase people out of view to help improve performance.  WoW was the only MMO I played that ever noticed doing that.  If I remember correctly, this was actually something that Blizzard implimented after release because of the lag in Ironforge and Orgrimar, and was kind of a big deal because it cut down on a LOT of the lag you used to get when you went into those areas. 

It very well could be that Blizzard used Worlds technology to do this. 

The patent itself doesn't actually cover "virtual worlds" but the way that the PC and server communication works in regards to the number of players in a given area.  Blizzard does use a system them cuts down on the number of people that you can see around you in order to control lag.  It's very possible blizzard is using worlds technology, and worlds didn't know because they weren't actually doing anything with the technology they had a patent for. 

At least that's the what I got from it.

Edit:  I'm wondering if this lawyer came to them about it, they went to enforce the patent, found they were losing control of it because they didn't do anything with it, and so filed a continuation and suit to retain control of the patent.  Dunno.

• ScoutRabbitScoutRabbit Member Posts: 1

I hope all the online game stay together and take them down.............

I'm on the online gaming side.  Go blizz

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Their case is actually pretty air tight, they were smart about it and knew exactly what they were doing.

http://www.worlds.com/patentinformation.html

They are free to sue anyone anywhere that runs an online game.

Anyone can sue anyone. And it's far from air tight as it's a fairly basic, broad and obvious optimization: I have too many messages to deliver and not enough time so just deliver to the closest recepients. Also there is a massive amount of goverment funded research and projects related to virual reality and 3D environments that predate this patent and one instance of prior art will negate it. From what I can tell, some of their claims were dismissed because of prior art in the ncsoft case a few years back. 

Even if the patent was valid and they win, damages become an interesting discussion. Doesn't seem like it had any real impact to ncsoft.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Ruinal

I sure hope Blizz actually fight it and tell those tossers to go eff themselves.

Yeh, apparently some tool has patented 'cold fusion'. How the eff do you patent a technology which hasn't *actually* been invented or demonstratably working yet? Hey, I'll patent 'breathing' with three deep breathes in and two sharp breathes out, pretty sure that'd be water-tight enough to sue most of the population of the planet for infringement at some time or other. Frikken lunacy.

I remember, back in 2010 I think, I said that I hoped they went after Blizzard next. Blizzard was and probably still is in the best position, both financially and industry power wise, to keep these guys wrapped up in court for years and drain them dry. But, now that it's happend I have a feeling that Blizzard will just pay them off, sign an agreement and go about their buisiness. Worlds Inc will then be free to go after their next payday.

God I hope not.  I hope Blizzard/Activision fights them in court tooth and nail.  Till they drain these asshats.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

There's a reason why Microsoft and Google signed an angreement with one another to never try and steal current employees away from each other.  But young up and comers are free game (my friend eventually went with Microsoft).  My friend also told me how one of his junior level developer wanted to jump ship to Google and basically got blackballed by them.

I know it's cliche but it's true...patenting software is serious business.  An entire companies livelihood can depend on it.  Instead of suing left and right, Worlds would be better off getting royalties.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

Their case is actually pretty air tight, they were smart about it and knew exactly what they were doing.

http://www.worlds.com/patentinformation.html

They are free to sue anyone anywhere that runs an online game.

Anyone can sue anyone. And it's far from air tight as it's a fairly basic, broad and obvious optimization: I have too many messages to deliver and not enough time so just deliver to the closest recepients. Also there is a massive amount of goverment funded research and projects related to virual reality and 3D environments that predate this patent and one instance of prior art will negate it. From what I can tell, some of their claims were dismissed because of prior art in the ncsoft case a few years back. 

Even if the patent was valid and they win, damages become an interesting discussion. Doesn't seem like it had any real impact to ncsoft.

It's not true "anyone can sue anyone". If you file criminal or civil complaints which are knowingly frivolous, you become subject to criminal and civil action against malicious prosecution. For a lawyer this will mean loss of credentials. For an individual or company, this means you will lose your ass, especially if, by means of said frivolous action, the defendant suffers any loss.