Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Teleporting or Mounts / Flight Paths

2»

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Onomic

I want both, teleports are nice for sure and way better then flightpaths.

But the world is freaking hugh, i need a mount. I use that runspeed offhand on all my toons and i hate that offhand weapon. I just have it for the speed. Running without that one aint even an option.

Didt vote as non of em are good options

I agree for the same reasons. Flight paths would be the same as Teleport, more or less. I really wish they add mounts or a permanent speed buff that works out of combat, independent of weapons.

There are permanent speed buffs. I was looking at a superior rune... I think it was Superior Rune of the Wanderer... hang on, let me go look...

Ah, sorry... Superior Rune of the Traveler. That comes with a 5% movement speed boost. I don't know if there are other movement speed boosts though, but I'd honestly be surprised if that was the only one. Any foods give a movement speed boost?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_speed

You also have speed boosts in the item shop (you can also get in chests).

Most classes also have temporary and/or permanent speed boosts.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I'm happy with just teleports. Saves me run time when I am short on play time. Mounts is just another grind to find normally for personal mounts. Like someone said earlier flight paths get old very fast.
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Nadia
    DAOC had travel post mounts where you could jump off from the horse anytime

EQ2 also used a similar system - w horses and flying mounts, but can jump off midtransit

WOWs travel system i never liked

take a transport and you are *stuck* until the journey finishes (unless its a boat / airship)

players having their own mounts?  im neutral on it

This one it would have been great,flying mounts or horses and being able to jump from them while traveling.
    Portals are boring and make it feel less like a world,both traveling and zone to zone portals.
    Also while traveling using flight paths/mount paths, you have time to take a short break from game or talk to guild /friends in game.This together with a more eq2 like crafting would have helped making people talk more in game.

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    If I have to pick one I take the teleports but I'd rather have both and use whatever I feel like using at the time.  I like riding/flying around sometimes.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Tyria would be so amazing to see while flying on a flight path.  They should have gave us the option.  I'm undecided on mounts, although they would be nice to have at times.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I don't think the zones are big enough to support mounts, unless they make them really slow (aka the speed you get when you're speed buffed).

Besides, you'll need mounts for both land and water.

Air is out of the question, the world is not designed to support them.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I don't think the zones are big enough to support mounts, unless they make them really slow (aka the speed you get when you're speed buffed).

AoC have them and a lot smaller zones, but you might be right anyways. The zones are pretty large but mounts really demands a gigantic world to feel useful.

Flying mounts might seem cool but they mess up the difficulty of the game and make even a huge game seems small. That they give you instant access to any Vista is no bonus either.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I think there are way too many teleport points on the map. I'd rather see the number of them reduced to about 3-4 per map and add mounts (preferred) to move around in the game. As Loke666 said, I try to teleport as little as possible as well (Dutch greed and I like to explore as well).

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

There are other issues as well, in terms of map design. Not all zones are equally big. Also in the end zones, the mobs have a lot of anti-running skills. Do they knock you out of the horse every 10 meters? Or you storm through them with a horse and the people on foot feel like idiots having to fight their way through? Or use a hybrid system like LOTRO's, where if your horse takes a certain amount of damage you get dismounted? Can you fight on top of that mount? Can you fight on top of a sea mount?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Reizla

I think there are way too many teleport points on the map. I'd rather see the number of them reduced to about 3-4 per map and add mounts (preferred) to move around in the game. As Loke666 said, I try to teleport as little as possible as well (Dutch greed and I like to explore as well).

There I agree with you. Some maps have 18 or so teleporting points.

And those are the same reason I walk a lot as well ('cept that I am Swede). Teleporting actually have an excellent price, it tends to cost a bit to teleport around so lazy people will be a bit poorer but not enough to ruin the game for them.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by botrytis

Since the lore of Tyria does not have flight paths - except for the Charr - it makes no sense. This is not WoW. Teleports and Asuran Gates are the mode of transport in this game.

This has been discussed before.

Umm yeah only WOW has flight paths and mounts. Bloody WOW is the womb from where all the MMO features were born.

Anyways, i would like mounts too. Makes traveling a lot more interesting and with technology of asura and charr...Anet can do pretty interesting things.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    If Anet caves in to the WoW crowd then I'm gone from GW2.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    If Anet caves in to the WoW crowd then I'm gone from GW2.

I think you took my above comment too seriously when i said mounts and flight path exist only in WOW.

And what WOW crowd you are talking about? the game is already designed to cater to masses and when O Brain says he wants to beat WOW and become number one MMO i don't think you are in any position to complain.

When a MMO goes for mass appeal it will cater to all kind of players including WOW players. I think you made a mistake thinking GW2 is some niche title like EVE or TSW.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

I have heard a few comments on my server with players not too happy with the waypoint/event set up. The point they make is that by the time they have run to a contested waypoint, the event is either finished or nearly finished.

Similar comments I've seen are players not bothering to teleport to the next nearest waypoint, for the same reason as above, plus the wasted cost of teleporting, (then teleporting back).

Through travelling round, I've seen the same players staying in the same areas. Chatting to them, they say that it's cheaper/easier just to farm one spot where several events pop up regularly,

I cannot argue with this view, as it would seem to be a way of farming kharma at minimum cost. However, it does seem to go against one of the core ideas of the game -  exploration.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Why do I need to waste time by using mounts or something like that while I have instant teleport that send me from any place I want to any place I want to be ? Seriously, mounts would be waste of time in this game.

ANet should just change one thing. 

1. Closest teleports should be free

2. Cost of transportation should be based around distance and not your level

And that's it.

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

I have disliked mounts ever since i started playing MMO's that had them. They are mostly for the e-penor crowd and you see them constantly parked in a spot where everybody can see them sitting on it as if to say " look at me being cool on my cool mount" a mount everyone sees 50 times a day btw but since they just got it... but hey no biggy i guess.

Next to that i always feel like i am in some sort of happy disney movie with my super special rare (suposedly) creature friend stting on those stupd things lol.Riding mounts is boring and having to mount and dismount all the time is anoying.

Yet there is practically speaking no way to avoid them since everyone uses them and making each group or guildie or w/w wait for 15 minutes everytime just because i dont want to use them is ridiculous.

I was very happy not having mounts in TWS my toon just earned srpint upgrades which btw were just as effective if not more eeffective since i did not need to mount and unmount anything or hotkey 20 diferent mounts for 20 different occasions. The whole mount idea is so old and stale and useless imo and t me really feels as if i am playing with "my little pony's". against ym will.

Good riddance :)

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I have heard a few comments on my server with players not too happy with the waypoint/event set up. The point they make is that by the time they have run to a contested waypoint, the event is either finished or nearly finished.

Similar comments I've seen are players not bothering to teleport to the next nearest waypoint, for the same reason as above, plus the wasted cost of teleporting, (then teleporting back).

Through travelling round, I've seen the same players staying in the same areas. Chatting to them, they say that it's cheaper/easier just to farm one spot where several events pop up regularly,

I cannot argue with this view, as it would seem to be a way of farming kharma at minimum cost. However, it does seem to go against one of the core ideas of the game -  exploration.

I agree and disagree. Contersted waypoints are annoying but hey, there's a war on, you know? Stuff happens. I always check out the next way point and if I get there late it's no big deal as there are usually other events happening close by. I somtimes stay in the same area for a bit but it's not about the karma farming. The back and forth of some of the events are fun and as more people show up the mob spawns grow and it ends up pretty hectic sometimes. i mostly look for mats but you might as well have a ball while doing it.

And don't forget, if you stay ages in the same place, so what? You're not on a clock. The rest of the wold will always be there waiting for you so take your time.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

having experienced both, i'm never going back to flightpaths.

People on these forums seem to have a REAL short memory of having the time to go make a three course meal or watch a full on sports game waiting to land. It's a time waster placed in the games not as a means to show off the graphics of the world but as a means to force you to waste time you spend for on subscriptions every month. That's all it is. It's like dailies and dungeon runs as the only means of progression while they make you wait an entire year for an expansion with very little content. yeah. meanwhile you're sending them collectively how much a month???? so they can waste your time? 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Xasapis

AoC have them and a lot smaller zones, but you might be right anyways. The zones are pretty large but mounts really demands a gigantic world to feel useful.

Flying mounts might seem cool but they mess up the difficulty of the game and make even a huge game seems small. That they give you instant access to any Vista is no bonus either.

Rift has mounsts and the area of the game is 1/3 the size of GW2.

Adding in mounts to fight off of, will add imbalance to the system that some people are saying is imbalanced. Remember when they added more skills in GW1 (Sorrows Furnace) - there was a huge imbalance and it never really got back to being truly balanced.

Mounts and flying mounts are tons of work - little gain and makes it look like WoW and/or Tera - NO THANK YOU.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

No,it makes it look like a world instead of a game.Funny how so many people who complain about wow being too casual then complain about having to wait while traveling in a game.Far from being less casual than wow,gw2 is even less of a world and made for fast session of gameplay not to experience immersion in a virtual world.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The teleport waypoints are good, past level 50 I just run around since it costs alot to teleport unless I'm in a hurry or just want to head back to Lion's Arch (although going through Heart of the Mist is free).

About mounts, I wouldn't mind riding a Carrion Moa one day. :)