Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO (GW2) kills all other themepark MMOs

Comments

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

OP is right and all who try to troll him are jelly :PPPPPPP

Seriously though, unfortunately GW2 has its set of problems. I hope they fix it. Then it can indeed kill other themepark mmo's

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I may not play GW2 forever but I will never go back to a quest hub game grind to raid as a end game designed product. That would be as bad as going back to playing a 2D side scroller on a 48K Atari in my opinion.

The genre has evolved and questing from one hub to the next hub so you can jump on the raid hampster wheel design will suffer the same fate as the railroad systems did when air travel became practical

I miss DAoC

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by Kopogero

This "GW2" MMORPG would kill all other themepark MMORPG's if it was free to play. The fact it will charge $40+ for expansions is another reason why it will fail badly.

2 mil sales worldwide says it all. Majority of players want open world, massive sandbox worlds that they can impact them with their actions while the majority of rest MMORPG players still remained milked by WOW, cuz at least that game was innovative in 2004 and deserves it.

I'm well beyond done with WOW and Aion, DCUO were the last 2 MMORPG's that took my $. In meantime I can play DCUO for free and it sure beats GW2 box price.

The disconnection with reality that some people have in this forum is astonishing.

Most players are casuals. Casuals dont want a world, they want a game, you sandboxers need to realize you are a niche and that its not a bad thing to be a niche.

thing is GW2 is no where near as themeparky as WOW, AIOn, DCUO etc..  Its way more open and way less linear.  Its only a linear game if you choose to play it that way.  you dont have to do the story quest chain, you dont have to follow all the static heart events, you can just wander about and do what you find interesting.

I can play any themepark MMOS in  similar manner.  Ignore storyline, quests and just go explore and craft etc.

And in GW2 wandering is limited to your own level range because there is no upscaling in the game. So people exaggerate the wandering part a lot.  

you can play that way true but you won't get rewarded for playing that way. GW2 rewards you in not one or two ways but in multiple ways for exploring and crafting whereas the other mmo's are lacking.

no, there are five complete zones per race where the wondering areas are not small like in other games so you really aren't that limited. I went into higher level zones and avoided mobs long enough to capture the next tier of nodes for crafting. It's dangerous but fun and they don't block you off from going there like in other mmo's :)

Rewards? i thought GW2 was all about fun and rewards are secondary? ;)

However i did get rewarded for exploring in WOW, as well as TSW. Only difference is that in GW2 you get a chest for completing one zone. I can also go to higher zone in any other themepark MMO as long as i avoid the mobs.

Look i enjoy the game but i can't stop myself from replying when people make it sound as if GW2 is the only MMO where you can play in such a manner. Infact, this is exactly how i have been playing MMOS for quite sometime now. So for me GW2 wasn't some eye opener.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I completely agree with OP...for now.

However i did get rewarded for exploring in WOW, as well as TSW. Only difference is that in GW2 you get a chest for completing one zone. I can also go to higher zone in any other themepark MMO as long as i avoid the mobs.

other than GW2 thoughI have yet to see a game where you can go back to a lower level  zone and get any significant reward for doing the content in that zone.

I sure don't see GW2 as perfect but it is a major step forward in MMO design, just as WoW was a significant step forward over EQ many years ago

what I am looking forward to now is seeing what improvemnts can be will happen becasue of GW2 in say 5 to 6  years

I miss DAoC

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Jackdog

other than GW2 thoughI have yet to see a game where you can go back to a lower level  zone and get any significant reward for doing the content in that zone.

I wouldn't say signficant. But yes you do get rewarded. And i think i already covered this point earlier. Not denying that you can't go back to lower zones.

I wouldn't say signficant. But yes you do get rewarded. And i think i already covered this point earlier. Not denying that you can't go back to lower zones.

well I have memories of grinding gray mobs to get traits in LoTRO , not what I would call a good time but yeah I got the trait. Just saying that the down leveling system in GW2 is a welcome change for me in MMO design

I miss DAoC

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

I think I can describe the current state of GW2 with one pic:

And this hardly qualifies as killing all other themeparks.

Ralph - The MMO genre

The rope - The MMO community

Let me ask you one thing: when a plane crashes, do you blame the passengers?

The community, my friend, is people who paid (one way or another) for all those recent crappy games. There are other people called "game developers and publishers" who get their monthly paycheck ONLY because the community buys garbage they write, draw, code and release. They constantly take obligations they cannot fullfil, they release unfinished and buggy products, they outright lie whenever they see fit and they NEVER even apologize. They emphasize things nobody cares about and ignore glaring issues and vital features. They rarely listen to any suggestions.

The way I see it, the gaming community one of the most lenient, optimistic and at the same time neglected customer groups ever. In any other industry a company like EA, NCSoft or Funcom would go out of business years ago.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

What I've learned now is that even if I stopped playing Guild Wars 2 today it has accomplished to kill all other MMO's for me.

I wont return to old traditional games of linear quest lines, or end game gear grind.   Although I loved those things in the past because they were all that was available, Guild Wars 2 has shown me that there is a better way to do it and unless something builds on what Guild Wars 2 has done and adds gear progression of some sort that benefits EVERYONE in the raid and not just one person out of 20 then maybe I'd be interested but as of right now its my final stand.

I'll be going into FPS games and MMOFPS games along with my MMORPG / Guild Wars 2 but once I'm done with Guild Wars 2 it'll probably be my last final resting place for that Genre.

Guild Wars 2 has killed all, I repeat ALL MMORPG's for me as it currently stands.

I tried going back to RIFT, Lotro, and WoW since I've been playing GW2 and it was shocking how discusted I felt trying to level again in that old archaic system..  Yes they have some good qualities but try starting from level 1 and level compared to leveling in GW2 and oh my god I just can't do it anymore, never again!!!!

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Imo the personal story is complete garbage. Im 80 and stopped doing them when I was level 40 or so.... No interest in doing it either.

Rest of the game is fantastic tho imo I just wish they didn't bother wasting time and resources on the storyline. Could have been money better spent elsewhere.
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Aori

Kinda funny, this topic of fanboyism was going on earlier until threads got locked. I find it amusing that the fanboys are attacking not one other MMO in its praising of GW2 but ALL of them.

Btw last I heard Blizzard is still selling MoP boxes.

WoW´s bright time is gone ... it is nothing now than a normal game, falling in quality than many other mmos in the industry, and being in the top spot just because of it´s old players, and the richie company behind it.

You should compare the release of MoP with WoW´s other expansions ... what u will get is a '' FAIL ''. Blizzard had millions of people, and today, they are losing them one by one, becuase of pure '' iditoic philosphy '' that ruined WoW that we all knew before, also the Diablo serie.

Originally posted by eGumball

You should compare the release of MoP with WoW´s other expansions ... what u will get is a '' FAIL ''. Blizzard had millions of people, and today, they are losing them one by one, becuase of pure '' iditoic philosphy '' that ruined WoW that we all knew before, also the Diablo serie.

forgive the offtopic but gawd I loved Diablo 1 and 2, spent way too many hours of my life playing them over and over. Thankfully I listened to a trusted friend who was in beta and warned me off from Daiblo III

I miss DAoC

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I agree that it is one of the best ThemePark MMO's. I am however very dissapointed with the PvP. WAR's Scenarios were far better than sPvP and WvWvW is kind of meh, really dont see the point to it except running around and killing people and flipping control points for no real purpose.
  • Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)

I like raids, so do a lot of people. 5 man PvE content doesn't feel sufficiently 'epic' to me. If GW2 had 20+ man raids I would continue playing. And no those Public Events don't count as raids that need weeks/months of preparation and planning.

Hanging raids out to dry as an 'old mechanic' or 'grind' is stupid. For me personally (and others), raiding is what MMORPG games are all about. They just need to evolve with new mechanics and better enemy AI.

Originally posted by Butcher_Inc

No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)

I like raids, so do a lot of people. 5 man PvE content doesn't feel sufficiently 'epic' to me. If GW2 had 20+ man raids I would continue playing. And no those Public Events don't count as raids that need weeks/months of preparation and planning.

Hanging raids out to dry as an 'old mechanic' or 'grind' is stupid. For me personally (and others), raiding is what MMORPG games are all about. They just need to evolve with new mechanics and better enemy AI.

define a lot. 5% ? 10 % ? 35%

in EQ's day raids were a novelty, WoW perfected them. Not sure how you could classify them as anything other than a old mechanic

Not sure how you can classify them as anything other than a grind either. Raids are designed to repeated over and over hoping you win the roll for gear that will benefit your character. It's not like htey cghange from week to week. When they do change the gear you acquired from the previous one is no longer the latest and greatest so you start repeating the new raid over and over...rinse and repeat forever.

if that is fun for you then fine, there are a few or more than a few that are ready for the genre to move on past a design that has been around since SOE hired Raph Koster and Verant to design EQ1

I miss DAoC

• Butcher_IncButcher_Inc Member Posts: 17

define a lot. 5% ? 10 % ? 35%

in EQ's day raids were a novelty, WoW perfected them. Not sure how you could classify them as anything other than a old mechanic

Not sure how you can classify them as anything other than a grind either. Raids are designed to repeated over and over hoping you win the roll for gear that will benefit your character. It's not like htey cghange from week to week. When they do change the gear you acquired from the previous one is no longer the latest and greatest so you start repeating the new raid over and over...rinse and repeat forever.

if that is fun for you then fine, there are a few or more than a few that are ready for the genre to move on past a design that has been around since SOE hired Raph Koster and Verant to design EQ1

People talk about how raids are a grind because each time new content comes out, your old gear becomes obsolete. The way I see it, gear (stats) are just a means to complete the harder content. I agree with what you say, but I guess one has to ask themselves 'why do I raid?' is it for items or fun? Is it something to do a few nights a week with friends or is it a full time job to be world first?

Personally I played to enjoy beating new content with friends. Competetively at times, which lead to quits because it felt like a job. 

I think the WoW raid system - while it was great in it's day - is a grind and feels like a job. Which they do on purpose to keep you busy and subscribed while they make new content. I think it's the P2P model that's out of date, not raids.

All I mean by 'raids' is PvE content that requires a large group (20+) to cooperate extremely well together to beat. Which is, surely, what the PvE side of a 'massively multiplayer game' is all about. Not 5-man co-op.

I'd like to play a B2P game where you need only complete the content once, which would take time due to the sheer difficulty. Then either hang around, socialize and do other things or just take a break until the new content comes out.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Not including sandbox MMOs (completely different)

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Future of MMOs goes to GW2 and a high quality sandbox MMO.

I agree OP, only reason that I feel I have dislike for the game is because I long back to sandbox games so badly.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Problem with that you are suggesting, is people should stick with one single kind of food. Will not work. As I have already said, even if one love pizza to maddness, can not eat pizza for life time and for 6 times per day every single day and still having a blast with every meal.

I also love every day more and more gw2, but this will not prevent me to enjoy other great foods, i.e. swtor (also for great story line, where I see gw2 only other game that can compete) or wow. Or Rift. Or CO. Will alternate them. I'm just happy I have finnaly after years and years such good selection of various foods to enjoy. :-)

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

This thread is a great necro thread, lets see how much support it has after two or three months when 75% of the players have left, realizing that the game is the most shallow hand-holding themepark game ever created.

No challenge = extreme boredom. Zerging everything in PVE and PVP = no challenge.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Not having to relate to reality or real life sounds great...

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I agree with the OP that this is the best Themepark MMO out, probabably for quite some time. I don't agree about the story. I think its like a cheesy iphone app. SWTORs story was far superior with how they implemented it. However, I haven't had this much fun in AGES. I just cant stop exploring and I love the feeling that these dynamic events are a huge step foward from Rifts and Warhammers public quests. I think like WOW, others will borrow from this even more and some time in the future we are going to see some awesome games.

This is a good time for themepark gamers. There are so many choices depending on your play style (solo without joining with others, solo and joining with others, grouping, PVP, scenarios, WVW, etc. Sandbox players, why arnt you playing DarkFall? Wasnt that made for you?

There Is Always Hope!

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by keithian

I agree with the OP that this is the best Themepark MMO out, probabably for quite some time. I don't agree about the story. I think its like a cheesy iphone app. SWTORs story was far superior with how they implemented it. However, I haven't had this much fun in AGES. I just cant stop exploring and I love the feeling that these dynamic events are a huge step foward from Rifts and Warhammers public quests. I think like WOW, others will borrow from this even more and some time in the future we are going to see some awesome games.

This is a good time for themepark gamers. There are so many choices depending on your play style (solo without joining with others, solo and joining with others, grouping, PVP, scenarios, WVW, etc. Sandbox players, why arnt you playing DarkFall? Wasnt that made for you?

How is it "exploring" when everything is labeled on the map? This game feels like it was designed for 10 year olds.

Thankfully the MMO community will turn on GW2 soon, and we can all move on. GW2 was a bigger disappointment for me personally than SWTOR was, at least I got through to two level 50's in SWTOR, I couldn't even stomach GW2 past level 25 or so. Oh yay! another zone with the same excact stuff as the last zone! And oh yay! everyone is my friend except when I warp to the WvW zone, Oh wait the WvW zone is nothing but waiting for a que and a mindless zergfest - pass.

The most boring non-F2P mmo I have ever tried.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

How is it "exploring" when everything is labeled on the map? This game feels like it was designed for 10 year olds.

Thankfully the MMO community will turn on GW2 soon, and we can all move on. GW2 was a bigger disappointment for me personally than SWTOR was, at least I got through to two level 50's in SWTOR, I couldn't even stomach GW2 past level 25 or so. Oh yay! another zone with the same excact stuff as the last zone! And oh yay! everyone is my friend except when I warp to the WvW zone, Oh wait the WvW zone is nothing but waiting for a que and a mindless zergfest - pass.

Same.  SWTOR didn't invent the wheel either but it brought way more to the genre than GW2.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

You should play a ranger who uses shortbows during DEs. I get in range of the boss, press 1, leave for a bit, get gold. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating and all bosses aren't like that but a good few are.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Chieftan
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Same.  SWTOR didn't invent the wheel either but it brought way more to the genre than GW2.

SWTOR?! LMAO 

• Aloha Mr Hand !