Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans-sexual (LGBT) - why is this a bad thing for guild formation?

1235»

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

why not just play the damn game instead of trying to draw attention to yourself like your doing with this post.  quite frankly something the homosexual community hasnt figured out is most straight people dont care one bit about them or  how they live their lives.  we just dont really want to hear about it.  if you stopped getting offended every time someone looked at you wrong or made a homo comment most people would ignore you and you could probably have sex in the streets just like straight people do and get arrested by the cops. 

it annoys people when you get on tv and turn everything into a woe is me pity party because someone like blake shelton made a joke on twitter or someone calls you a carpet muncher.  you open yourself up to ridicule when you do things like that and it makes it fun for people like me to annoy you if I know I can. 

most people dont want to hear about real world crap in our video games, I would prefer to not even have to hear from about 90 percent of the game population, just my guild.  make whatever guild you want for all I care but mainly shut up about it.

I am pretty sure there would be a huge uproar is someone made a guild called nga, no gays allowed.  or kkk, krazy kooky krackers.  see how people could get offended by that.  yeah so leave race, sex, everything else out of the game. 

btw those were just examples not my personal beliefs, dont get in a uproar about it.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Cant the mods just lock this thread back in the closet and let it die? I dont need white or gays, blacks or kids, old people,  young people in my MMOs. I dont care what you are I just want players or people in the game. I dont care to know you personally

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Bottom line.  Because people are scared.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Karteli

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

Wouldn't it help the community to gather like minded people together?

Just as a side note:

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT friendly guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

Discrimination works both ways.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Yamota

What has sexual orientation to do with video games?

If you can have a gay only guild, does that mean you can have a straight only guild as well? Or white's only? Or men only?

your argument is null i hope you know because you can already have the straight while men guilds  without the companies of these games getting political. It doesn't happen that way on the other side of the coin for minorities.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

Just as a side note:

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT friendly guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

When I see you folks marching in the streets of Tehran Iran, I might pay alittle more attention. Acorrding to there leader ship there are no Sodimites in Iran.

Unless you include the houseboys they purchase as slaves legally to "take care" of the males in the family called "bacha bereesh". 

Learning is fun :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

my thought is whatever guild you want to make you can make.

All women?

All Japanese?

70+

People who collect Hummel figuriens?

it's all good. As long as the members are clear when they join I would suspect then that anyone joining is joining "because" of the requirments.

If someone wants a guild that argues politics or only republicans or people who health problems or "whatever" then that's the guild they should have.

People get so offended if a group creates stipulations that "keep them out"

Why would you want to be in a group that's not in sync with who you are? You would be bored out of your mind. Or uncomfortable or angry or just "one of these things is not like the other".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by hardicon

why not just play the damn game instead of trying to draw attention to yourself like your doing with this post.  quite frankly something the homosexual community hasnt figured out is most straight people dont care one bit about them or  how they live their lives.  we just dont really want to hear about it.  if you stopped getting offended every time someone looked at you wrong or made a homo comment most people would ignore you and you could probably have sex in the streets just like straight people do and get arrested by the cops. 

Let me start from your final sentence here. I got arrested and am still in danger of, for simply holding my bf's hand in public. So there's a BIIIIIG difference between what straight people can get away with.

Secondly, the only time "my kind" gets uppity is when we are denied what the ostrich heads take for granted everyday.

Same goes in the gaming community.

Most likely, what happened is once again a gaming company stepped too far and impeded the rights of individuals by becoming political in their dealings with the public and thus threads like this one are born.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    Bottom line.  Because people are scared.

You mean that the LGBTs are 'scared', or that everyone else is 'scared'. You are unclear.

But if you mean everyone else is 'scared'... Tosh. The overriding sentiment in this thread is 'we couldn't care less about your orientation', not fear.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

A lot of you guys need to lay off of these LGBT players.  It's pretty easy to understand why they would want to form their own guild if you try to put yourself in their shoes.  I mean, just think about it:

1.  The discrimination of gay people is so accepted in our current society that it is actively spoken about in the news frequently, and it's still considered acceptable in many communities to pubicly speak out against gay people, and treat their homosexuality as a disease.

2.  The word "gay" is used a slang word for "something I hate," especially by the youth.  I mean, how would you feel if you're gay, and you're  talking on vent with your guild, and they constantly use a word that describes what you are to talk about things they hate?  I'm pretty sure this would be upsetting.  Would it seem right to you to refer to things you hate as "black?"  No, it wouldn't...why is it okay to use "gay" for the same reason?

3.  The internet grants anonymity to people, and many folks on the internet gaming are young, which means they are VERY likely to just speak their mind and all their prejudices will come out.

Add all these together, and the result is that online gaming is a pretty hostile environment for LGBT people.

Can you blame them for wanting to stick together so that they don't have to deal with people reminding them that they should be hated for what they are every 10 minutes?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NajaiNajai Member UncommonPosts: 3

Just as a side note:

As far as I know the article only talks about LGBT-friendly guilds and Blizzard allowing them to advertise and recruit as such. Some people posting seem to be misinformed since being friendly to some demograph doesn't mean it's exclusive to LGBT community only - it stands for a guild that doesn't discriminate it's members based on sexuality (and hopefully any other trait they might have). LGBT-friendly guilds just underline that they have members from all walks of life, they are friendly towards minorities and expect certain maturity among its players.

What I'd also like to point out is that LGBT is a collective term used for a vastly diverse set of non-heterosexual / cisgender identity-based cultures.

I do agree that exclusive LGBT-only guilds should be prohibited the same way as guilds exclusive to a certain race are for example. The should be no double standards.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread topic is locked mainly because we're ended real life ethical/moral/political type content in these forums as these posts often go off the rails into arguments and personal attacks. This topic and related ones aren't bad in themselves, but aubject to the above.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.