Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some pretty poor customer service

robhyp10robhyp10 Member Posts: 13

Howdy folks!

I don't post often.  I spend most of my time readying forums to gain information about games I play, so I have never been much of a poster, even if I really do not like a game.  I have been having a great time playing GW2.  As I have gotten older I have become more casual in my gaming ( my days of raiding like we did way back in MC wow are over ), so this game is a great fit.  I play with a very serious wow player, she has loved the game as much as I have except for one issue.  A few weeks back she had been hacked, and came into the game to find all of her toons looted.  Being hacked has become part of the gaming landscape, and I am sure no one is supprised folks are hacked in a new game.  What bothers me is not the security issues of the hacking, it is the customer service response that she got from GW2.  The response from customer service was that they could do nothing to help her.  This to me is very scary as an mmo gammer.  I was hacked in wow a while back, and it sucked.  log in and find the toon you have been working for a very long time to be altered by others is never a good feeling.  In wow it seems that getting hacked is something they take seriously.  It was my fault that I got hacked (darn sure it was a keylogger).  However, wow customer service did not care about fault, they just tried to make my toon right again.  My friend's response from customer service with GW2 was, you are out of luck....thank you for playing.  With such a divergence in customer support philosophies I am sure GW2 will be taking a hit.  My friend said one thing to me the other night that scared me, "if it happens again I am going back to wow".  It scares me since I would have go back as well, If it can happen to her it can happen to me.  I would hate to have to leave a game due to a customer service issue.  Security of our toons is something any  mmo gamer wants.  I think this is an issue GW2 needs to take a closer look at, or some good folk will be heading in other directions, and that would be sad........this is a realy good game.  

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would submit another ticket explaining your situation in further detail and have the REASONING behind their choice not to rollback your character explained to you.

The only reason she should not be able to get her account back is if she does not remember her account's information. However, it appears as if someone took all her stuff and sold it (which is very strange for hackers...most will first change your password, making sure you don't have access to your own account). That means she still has access to her account, just not her items.

The reason that this is difficult to address for customer service is because technically, she could have sold those items to a friend, claimed she gotten hacked, and then gotten the items back PLUS her orignial items. 90% of the time, this is not the case, but it happens often enough where we all have to suffer for the douchieness of a few.

However, ANet has taken steps to prevent hacking in the future. Here's the blog post that they put up today:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

I sincerely hope for a positive resolution to your issues.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

It seems like Anet was completely overwhelmed by the number of tickets they were receiving. Ofcourse that is really no surprise, since Anet only has 270 employees in total, and there's more than 2 000 000 players

Still it may be a surprise, but it is hardly an excuse...

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by robhyp10

Howdy folks!

I don't post often.  I spend most of my time readying forums to gain information about games I play, so I have never been much of a poster, even if I really do not like a game.  I have been having a great time playing GW2.  As I have gotten older I have become more casual in my gaming ( my days of raiding like we did way back in MC wow are over ), so this game is a great fit.  I play with a very serious wow player, she has loved the game as much as I have except for one issue.  A few weeks back she had been hacked, and came into the game to find all of her toons looted.  Being hacked has become part of the gaming landscape, and I am sure no one is supprised folks are hacked in a new game.  What bothers me is not the security issues of the hacking, it is the customer service response that she got from GW2.  The response from customer service was that they could do nothing to help her.  This to me is very scary as an mmo gammer.  I was hacked in wow a while back, and it sucked.  log in and find the toon you have been working for a very long time to be altered by others is never a good feeling.  In wow it seems that getting hacked is something they take seriously.  It was my fault that I got hacked (darn sure it was a keylogger).  However, wow customer service did not care about fault, they just tried to make my toon right again.  My friend's response from customer service with GW2 was, you are out of luck....thank you for playing.  With such a divergence in customer support philosophies I am sure GW2 will be taking a hit.  My friend said one thing to me the other night that scared me, "if it happens again I am going back to wow".  It scares me since I would have go back as well, If it can happen to her it can happen to me.  I would hate to have to leave a game due to a customer service issue.  Security of our toons is something any  mmo gamer wants.  I think this is an issue GW2 needs to take a closer look at, or some good folk will be heading in other directions, and that would be sad........this is a realy good game.  

tbh i been seeing alot of these post latley, and whats more interesting is it happend to my friend as well. he has never bought gold or anything. i think arenanet will only take this seriously if their players banded together. for example, in eve when there was an issue with the game everyone in eve protested in jita aka main trading hub of the game. ccp game devs of eve online literally got out there comfy beds and literally adressed the issue. i'm not sure if it was solved or not because i wasn't there but hearing about it and looking at the video on youtube posted by many can really grab any devs attention. i suggest you should do the same. i play gw2 although i enjoy it, it's just another mmo to me so i wouldn't mind supporting you if you ever want to protest againts this issue. this issue is a serious matter and arenanet really does need to do something about it.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

So easy to blame a company for hacked accounts, people want to start looking closer to home and look at their own online security,  Anet was overwhelmed by this issue, and they gave a very detailed explanation as to how these hackers are getting account details, and a significant amount of players have still not bothered to authenticate their IP.

You don't have to buy gold from RMT, they get email databases from sites like this, (how many forums groups do you belong to?), and they also buy information from hacked databases from other sources, check back the past 12 months of how many databases have been hacked, the details of millions of accounts from various source are freely available to buy if you know who from.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by vort3x

It seems like Anet was completely overwhelmed by the number of tickets they were receiving. Ofcourse that is really no surprise, since Anet only has 270 employees in total, and there's more than 2 000 000 players

yes, because 80% of those tickets are "YOUR FUCKING GAME IS BUGGED! I CANNOT KILL THAT MOB!!!!!!!!!" *standing next to the mob trying to slash it away wow style*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No sub fee.

This is extremely important, but most fail to understand that no sub fee means limited funding for customer support, one of the most costly post implementation expenses in any software, gaming more than most others.

Sure, Blizzard bends over backwards to restore lost accounts, means 15.00 a month flowing into the coffers, perhaps forever.

In ANETs case, they are almost encouraged to let you flounder, because if you really want to get back into the game you'll have to buy a new copy which brings them new revenue. (I know, that's a cynical way to look at it, but you can't deny the possiblity)

Unfortunately, it's every consumers responsbility to make sure they don't get hacked, I myself realize I'm guilty of using the same passwords in games that I've used to log into websites that are by no means secure. (something I've since rectified)

It's really not the responsibility of the vendor to solve your security problems.  Sure, if there's a financial reason for them to do so, they will, but don't expect a lot of customer service out of the goodness of their hearts.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    delete

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by aligada87

Howdy folks!

tbh i been seeing alot of these post latley, and whats more interesting is it happend to my friend as well. he has never bought gold or anything. i think arenanet will only take this seriously if their players banded together. for example, in eve when there was an issue with the game everyone in eve protested in jita aka main trading hub of the game. ccp game devs of eve online literally got out there comfy beds and literally adressed the issue. i'm not sure if it was solved or not because i wasn't there but hearing about it and looking at the video on youtube posted by many can really grab any devs attention. i suggest you should do the same. i play gw2 although i enjoy it, it's just another mmo to me so i wouldn't mind supporting you if you ever want to protest againts this issue. this issue is a serious matter and arenanet really does need to do something about it.

Go and read Anets blog on the issue, instead of making wild accusations against Anet, They have spent so much time on this issue the past couple of weeks because people like your freind dont secure their own details.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/?utm_source=client

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by biggarfoot
    So easy to blame a company for hacked accounts, people want to start looking closer to home and look at their own online security,  Anet was overwhelmed by this issue, and they gave a very detailed explanation as to how these hackers are getting account details, and a significant amount of players have still not bothered to authenticate their IP.

While I am sure there are many examples of player's own irresponsibility leading to compromised accounts, you can't make that assumption each and every time. Every single time a player says they got hacked, some ANET White Knight has to show up and point the finger at the victim (And it's not just a couple) spewing, something about reused passwords or something like that, as if you were the info-sec expert investigating their case.

It's not like I've never received emails from Blizard, Trion and other non gaming companies warning me that they EFFED UP in managing my personal info. And why wouldn't ANET be a target?

These responses are right up there with "You are doing it wrong". As if you know.

Howdy folks!

Go and read Anets blog on the issue, instead of making wild accusations against Anet, They have spent so much time on this issue the past couple of weeks because people like your freind dont secure their own details.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/?utm_source=client

you work for anet don't you :) if you don't i think you should. you would make a great mascot for them GOGO ANET GO ANET GOGO ANET GO ANET. 

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Thane

yes, because 80% of those tickets are "YOUR FUCKING GAME IS BUGGED! I CANNOT KILL THAT MOB!!!!!!!!!" *standing next to the mob trying to slash it away wow style*

There definitely are retarded tickets there, I'm pretty sure of that. But retards are so common nowadays we just have to learn to live with them and take them into account when we're doing something such as solving customer tickets... :P

Howdy folks!

you work for anet don't you :) if you don't i think you should. you would make a great mascot for them GOGO ANET GO ANET GOGO ANET GO ANET. 

ok so you can't sympatize for his friend? ok one you completly missed my point. the protest would yes deliver a message to anet about security data base but it is also a message adressing to how they act upon on how they handle their customer service. seriously ask yourself would you really want someone to respond back to you like that after being hacked. protest can send different messages not just adressing one matter if you don't know how it works just for your info

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No sub fee.

This is extremely important, but most fail to understand that no sub fee means limited funding for customer support, one of the most costly post implementation expenses in any software, gaming more than most others.

Sure, Blizzard bends over backwards to restore lost accounts, means 15.00 a month flowing into the coffers, perhaps forever.

In ANETs case, they are almost encouraged to let you flounder, because if you really want to get back into the game you'll have to buy a new copy which brings them new revenue. (I know, that's a cynical way to look at it, but you can't deny the possiblity)

Unfortunately, it's every consumers responsbility to make sure they don't get hacked, I myself realize I'm guilty of using the same passwords in games that I've used to log into websites that are by no means secure. (something I've since rectified)

It's really not the responsibility of the vendor to solve your security problems.  Sure, if there's a financial reason for them to do so, they will, but don't expect a lot of customer service out of the goodness of their hearts.

SUB fees have nothing to do with it. Did you know that when WoW started, Blizzard initially RENTED their game servers? Then they eventually got their own. Sub fees have nothing to do with good customer support - it is a fallacy and a pipe dream.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Kyleran No sub fee. This is extremely important, but most fail to understand that no sub fee means limited funding for customer support, one of the most costly post implementation expenses in any software, gaming more than most others. Sure, Blizzard bends over backwards to restore lost accounts, means 15.00 a month flowing into the coffers, perhaps forever. In ANETs case, they are almost encouraged to let you flounder, because if you really want to get back into the game you'll have to buy a new copy which brings them new revenue. (I know, that's a cynical way to look at it, but you can't deny the possiblity) Unfortunately, it's every consumers responsbility to make sure they don't get hacked, I myself realize I'm guilty of using the same passwords in games that I've used to log into websites that are by no means secure. (something I've since rectified) It's really not the responsibility of the vendor to solve your security problems.  Sure, if there's a financial reason for them to do so, they will, but don't expect a lot of customer service out of the goodness of their hearts.  
    SUB fees have nothing to do with it. Did you know that when WoW started, Blizzard initially RENTED their game servers? Then they eventually got their own. Sub fees have nothing to do with good customer support - it is a fallacy and a pipe dream.

And they were able to rent those servers for free right?
    They didn't have bills to pay each month for using those did they?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Vorch

I would submit another ticket explaining your situation in further detail and have the REASONING behind their choice not to rollback your character explained to you.

account recovery aside 

ANET has no support for character recovery or rollbacks

this was posted 2 weeks ago

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

We do not have the capacity to reinstate character or “roll back” accounts.

Just to clarify, we don’t have the capacity to reinstate characters right now

This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    They have your money, why should they care about you?
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Nadia

account recovery aside 

ANET has no support for character recovery or rollbacks

this was posted 2 weeks ago

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

We do not have the capacity to reinstate character or “roll back” accounts.

Just to clarify, we don’t have the capacity to reinstate characters right now

This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

Ahh, I never knew that. That's a bit troubling. Well, doubling down on my account security then. No wonder they keep making blog posts about taking your personal security seriously.

Thanks for the info.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Thane

You might be right. I sent more then a dosen bug report and now I'm sure at least one of them was not bugged at all, its just that I had no idea how and why. I guess there are many similar reports.

• robhyp10robhyp10 Member Posts: 13

Thanks for the great find in their offical forums Nadia.  Very scary that they can not roll back toons.  

Thanks to all of you who have posted, some great reads there.  Seems thanks to Nadia we have an answer.  At least we know that we have to be extra careful with our game security.  

To Thane, that was a very funny post.  I was laughing on that one.  True dat,  so many folks write some pretty stupid tickets.