Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was so good with PRE-CU?

2»

Comments

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Ok, so, a purely hypothtical question:

If SWG was to be resurrected what parts would you change? Known parts are the profession system, item decay, dungeons,

crafting system, what else? After all, NGE was massive in content, like it or not.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by IG-88
    Ok, so, a purely hypothtical question:If SWG was to be resurrected what parts would you change? Known parts are the profession system, item decay, dungeons, crafting system, what else? After all, NGE was massive in content, like it or not.  

The buff system was out of control.
    Combat was its weakest link.
    Game had the worst rubber banding ever.
    They needed to finish a lot of the professions still.
    They needed to figure out all the caps before implementing all these stats and variations.
    They should have never gotten rid of jedi perma death and never implemented the holo grind.
    I would make dungeon loot be recipes only
    Get rid of the 9 iconics and bring back the 32
    Blend beast mastery with old bio eng and bring back old creature handler
    TCG had too many unique and powerful rewards
    bring back item decay

Originally posted by Foomerang

The buff system was out of control.
    TCG had too many unique and powerful rewards

Could you elaborate on these two?

Originally posted by Foomerang   The buff system was out of control. TCG had too many unique and powerful rewards
    Could you elaborate on these two?

Players that wanted to be competitive in pvp had upwards of 60+ buffs simultaneously on their character. Thats just poor game design imo.
    Trading card game awarded special droids, clothes, mounts that were uncraftable by their related professions. It devalued those professions imo.

For the record, i think nge did a lot of things right but also wrong. If i had to choose between precu and nge id choose precu but i would sorely miss some of the systems put into nge.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I played Vanilla SWG and I will say this. I stopped because it became a 4hr job everyday to check harvesters and I refuse to play any game that becomes a job.

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    I played Vanilla SWG and I will say this. I stopped because it became a 4hr job everyday to check harvesters and I refuse to play any game that becomes a job.
    I can respect that. Swg was about setting personal goals that you could accomplish and enjoy. It didnt work for everyone.
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I can respect that. Swg was about setting personal goals that you could accomplish and enjoy. It didnt work for everyone.

I can respect that as well. I'm at a place in my life where I don't have as much time to play. That wasn't the case in Pre-CU SWG, and I liked it that way. It did (does image) require a very large amount of time investment.

Of course, this was at a time when it was ok to not be able to max your toon in a few days :P

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Why do I hate SOE/LA and the NGE?  My two mains were Master Doctor and Master Ranger/Rifleman.  Everything I worked for since the launch of the game was wiped out in a single patch. 

If they had simply shut down the game I could have accepted the loss, but no...They had the audacity to tell me that all the fun I had before was "doing it wrong" and that I didn't want to be Uncle Owen and that now I should play a more "iconic" role.  Sorry assholes, your silly mind tricks don't work on me.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

When i first bought and installed SWG, it was my first MMO, in fact, there were jsut not that many MMO+s around,mostly due to the fact that not many people had broadband.

I never got hooked on it back then, it seemed too confusing.

Some years later i returned, just to see what it was like and this was after NGE.

This time i got really hooked, played like 8h/day to the end.

But all the while, people was whining about PRE-CU and that "everything was better then".

So, what was so good about PRE-CU?

All i know is that it was sort of a classless system, instead of the level/expertise system later on.

But what else made it so good that players even today dont spare any hate for NGE or the players ?

Oh, and please keep it civil,shall we...

The best answer that I can give is this:

For those that understand no explanation is needed

For those that don't no explanation is possible

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by Drevar

Why do I hate SOE/LA and the NGE?  My two mains were Master Doctor and Master Ranger/Rifleman.  Everything I worked for since the launch of the game was wiped out in a single patch. 

If they had simply shut down the game I could have accepted the loss, but no...They had the audacity to tell me that all the fun I had before was "doing it wrong" and that I didn't want to be Uncle Owen and that now I should play a more "iconic" role.  Sorry assholes, your silly mind tricks don't work on me.

MCH / MBE here

I feel your pain :(

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Iylz
    ^^This. There are always min-maxers and the like but in SWG you could do some crazy build for pvp or just create a combination of a couple different classes mixed and see what happens. I loved Pre-CU SWG, still waiting for SWGEmu.

Why are you still waiting?

I mean.. what?

Originally posted by eric1000
    Originally posted by Drevar Why do I hate SOE/LA and the NGE?  My two mains were Master Doctor and Master Ranger/Rifleman.  Everything I worked for since the launch of the game was wiped out in a single patch.  If they had simply shut down the game I could have accepted the loss, but no...They had the audacity to tell me that all the fun I had before was "doing it wrong" and that I didn't want to be Uncle Owen and that now I should play a more "iconic" role.  Sorry assholes, your silly mind tricks don't work on me.  
    MCH / MBE here

I feel your pain :(

Seeing the ranger go away was a bitter pill to swallow. Such a great class.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    OP sounds like a little kid that needs to have their hand held while receiving instant gratification. He says it was too confusing? /FACEPALM. Well, there were plenty of people who got through the learning curve and enjoyed the game.

As usual, the forum trolls allways show up with their ugly faces...

Back on topic.

PRE-CU vets, what are your current game? Has anyone matched PRE-CU ?

• Hm ..

For me the old SWG ( that includes the CU ) was a true marvellous space.

I never ever met a game that manage to blend social and adventure activities so well like SWG

There was always a barter, always a hunt for ressources, always something that could be done and gave you some sort of meaningful reward.

Well there where downsides too.

Some thing never where completed and therefore buggy as hell.

BUT, for some odd reasons, you cursed about it an then ... you did it again, and again .. and ... in the summary it was fun.

I remember the bountyhunter missions that lead to nowhere, cause your bounty was INSIDE the world and couldnt be reached, or the guy you had to get was simply not at the place after you hunted him from planet to planet.

I dont know .. anyhow doing many different things that actually meant something was a bit more rewarding then todays MMORPGs .. Well to make a note .. They WHERE called MMORPGs back then and actually tried to fulfill that role.

Anyway i have a lot of fond memorys from the old SWG.

I remember some events in an cantina that where so much fun.. Never saw something like this till today

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    SWG pre cu - you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.
  • YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

To play jedi in PreCU you truely had to have a large pair of e-peen nads. All the work it took to get  through the profession grind and finally unlock the village could all be taken away by a bounty hunter at any time in what was usually an epic battle.

Damn what fun that was on either side of the fight.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

I played through pre-CU, and probably just as much on emulators as on live. Not going to elaborate on why it was good, as everyone else will do that... but It's important to note that the game was on a path of self-destruction. I suggest you browse through SWG pages spanning from late 2003 to early 2005 here on mmorpg.com, and you'll see that the consensus back then was close to that of a crisis. 

It wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55
    Well even in it's 'worst days', it was far better than any of the crap that's been offered up since.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

you asked the pros....

for me:

1) I wasn't known then with the way SOE treated their paying customers

2) game had a healthy population

3) sandbox

4) too much to explore with exciting new players, not aware yet of the beta state and lacking content the game had.

in short: I was a swg noob having fun.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Ok, this guys pretty much answered my initial question, starting at about 47 min. into the video.

At any rate it describes a strategic mistake leading to grinding jedi, loosing subs and the need for a change.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/09/17/ogda-meeting/#more-4248