Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans-sexual (LGBT) - why is this a bad thing for guild formation?

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Matticus75
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

My opinion - people can make whatever guild they want to, and invite whatever players they want  to. If a LGBT guild only wants to invite LGBT players, fine by me.

The only question I have is how will they be able to tell who is or isn't LGBT? My guess - they invite anyone who will tolerate thier conversations and lifestyle regardless if they are actually gay or not.

Lets make a hate guild and see what happends, and observe how "equal" things are

jezz I "hate" people who hate LGBT people and those who are against equal rights, I mean people should have their point of view, as long as I agree with it, and if you dont agree with it, then your wrong, but I respect that, becaue wrong people are equal to right people, and right and wrong is just an illusion, and all people are the same 1 person..............blah blah blah

Hmm, I read this like 5 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Karteli

Therefore they are special ahnd deserve special rights and privladge above the unwashed massed of "the majority."

Even if you are correct about all of them "knowing" they were born that way- Who you have sex with does not make you "special". Its sex bro- Everyone has it (sometimes even alone =O )

WHO CARES? If you feel the need to broadcast that you like to have sex with the same sex- What is your goal in doing this? How does this improve the GW2 game experience? What does this have to do with gaming...Period.

We get it. Your Gay. We dont care. =/

You are a good example of the crap gay people have to be put through.  I never said I was lesbian or gay, but you accused me of it, through your ineptitue for reading.

Oh btw, this was not even a GW2 forum, so uhh ,,, it's not improving GW2? Lulz :-) /fail

...Of coarse I assume you are gay hence asking about making a Gay guild- If I started a thread saying  "White Only guild" will you assume I might be an American Indian?

If it walks like a duck....

I mentioned GW2 since its the only time I have ever seen these Guilds advertised (like three last week I think)- So replace where I said GW2 with "Any game" and my point still stands.

I believe in equality... Thats not enough for the "protected" people I guess. The "crap" people have to put up with from me is being treated totally equal. I like and dislike people on their merits, not who they bed.

I added the link in my original post.  Blizzard vs LGBT.  check it out.  This predates GW2.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    So why ask, post here? You WONT like some of the replys so .. I dont know.. maybe ask where they didnt like it or wanted to ban it who knows. And you post it here.. you need JC
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by maji

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

Well, but people can make "women only" guilds. Or "only 30+" guilds, and so on. What's the difference between that and a lgbt guild?

I see a difference. A huge one in fact. But it matters not-

Let me ask you this- Why advertise your sexual orientation or crossdressing desires via a "guild tag:" in an MMO?

Also note I am not saying that I care one way or another (I really dont- I would avoid joning that guild though-) but I am explaining why people would take issue with it. I have a problem with anyone broadcasting personal issues .  Pretty soon we will have S&M Gyuilds, Guilds for "watersports" and scatt.

Keep it in the real world or take it second life.

-Its my opinion for what its worth. You asked.

i realy agree on this one 100%

Dont get me wrong her, i LOVE lesbians.....i realy do......specially when they......euh yeah sorry, almost let myself go there.

But on a realy serious note.....i dont realy think an online game is the place to advertise your personal sexual preference imho.

Or do you realy want have people reacting to it?? You know the ingame community is not the most mature crowd is some cases right??

i think as far as you just want people who are on the same interest lvl as you are....maybe just join a forum about gay/lesbian/transgenders and have nice chat with people who have the same interest or preference as you have. But a game realy does not seem to be the place to out yourself about gender preference or anything else like that.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Therefore they are special ahnd deserve special rights and privladge above the unwashed massed of "the majority."

Even if you are correct about all of them "knowing" they were born that way- Who you have sex with does not make you "special". Its sex bro- Everyone has it (sometimes even alone =O )

WHO CARES? If you feel the need to broadcast that you like to have sex with the same sex- What is your goal in doing this? How does this improve the GW2 game experience? What does this have to do with gaming...Period.

You are a good example of the crap gay people have to be put through.  I never said I was lesbian or gay, but you accused me of it, through your ineptitue for reading.

Oh btw, this was not even a GW2 forum, so uhh ,,, it's not improving GW2? Lulz :-) /fail

...Of coarse I assume you are gay hence asking about making a Gay guild- If I started a thread saying  "White Only guild" will you assume I might be an American Indian?

I mentioned GW2 since its the only time I have ever seen these Guilds advertised (like three last week I think)- So replace where I said GW2 with "Any game" and my point still stands.

I believe in equality... Thats not enough for the "protected" people I guess. The "crap" people have to put up with from me is being treated totally equal. I like and dislike people on their merits, not who they bed.

I added the link in my original post.  Blizzard vs LGBT.  check it out.  This predates GW2.

Reading the link I can say I would not take issue with it- But it wasnt described as an "exclusive " guild but rather a guild which was "friendly" to the lifestyle.

Honestly I still cannot really understand the resons for wanting this- But I also dont see a reverse discrimination issue either (as in excluding people for their sexual preference)- So yeah. I dont understand but I dont see any issue with it either. It is what it is I guess.

-On a side note, I often play Female toons. Does that make me a virtual crossavatar?

Reading the link I can say I would not take issue with it- But it wasnt described as an "exclusive " guild but rather a guild which was "friendly" to the lifestyle.

Honestly I still cannot really understand the resons for wanting this- But I also dont see a reverse discrimination issue either (as in excluding people for their sexual preference)- So yeah. I dont understand but I dont see any issue with it either. It is what it is I guess.

-On a side note, I often play Female toons. Does that make me a virtual crossavatar?

It's up to you I guess.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

It's up to you I guess.

Do I get special rights and privlages? If so- I say a resounding YES... If not, ima sue for discrimination =P

It's up to you I guess.

Do I get special rights and privlages? If so- I say a resounding YES... If not, ima sue for discrimination =P

Do what everyone else does, join the sheep :P

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I was in one in Jade Dynasty once and I didn't mind at all since all people there were nice and it was fun being together.

The main reason why they had created such a guild was to be able to talk about gay and lesbian stuff in the game when we had guild meetings and such without any straight people or homophobic ones taking offence or starting issues only because they found gay people "disgusting" (you can believe me that it really happened) or any other type of wording.

I don't mind any type of guild and I have seen christian guilds forming, 18+ or 25+ ones forming, PvE ONLY, PvP ONLY, Roleplay ONLY, Timezone based ones and more.

It's on the guild leader itself to create the type of guild they want and if they get people that want to be in such a type of guild joining then all power to them.

My guilds are always International ones because I love being together with people from allover the world.

Of course the timezones are making things harder to meet at times or under the week because of work/school and other but there are always weekends, free days or vacation days one can use to be together if they really want or willing to.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm always on US Servers even I'm EU based.

I have meet 1000s of people through the years in almost all available mmos or even offline games with online gameplay (like the ANNO Series as example) and made frienships that lasted and some still last for 5 to 8+ years already and I'm very happy about it.

So no matter what beliefs, sexual orientation or gaming style one has, what matters to me in MMOs is to be together with nice people I can have fun with cause their personal life is personal and none of my business in the first place.

Of course we can talk about it in a way or another and agree or dissagree in life choices because we are thinking differently about it.

This shouldn't be an obtacle that prevents us from having fun together and helping each other in a game that we love.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    "When I miss your lips, I'll put a fag in my mouth and think of you."   Arrested Development

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Gated communities = Bad. Further encourages the "them vs. us" mentality.

Blending in, not caring about race/orientation/gender/color = Good. Encourages "that's my friend regardless" mentality.

In an MMO, more so then in any other medium or social activity, things such as sexual orientation, race, gender, nationality and color has no meaning. Use it, take advantage of a small part of the world free of the limitations these things can bring. Just ignore them and play the game with whoever is there. Nothing good can come from limiting yourself to a specific group of people in an MMO.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Look this is the bottom line.

It's a video game, its NOT ABOUT SEXUAL PREFFRIENCE............So I can start a Guild " New York singles looking to hook up with women " ?

The, not about sex but like minded people excuse is a bunch of crap and you know it !!!!!!

Keep sex out of it, if a few players would like to have a private chat, that should be between them.....Just like the real world !!!!

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

I agree starting guilds in games based on sexual preference only makes you look like a bunch of swingers looking for dates. It doesn't matter who I sleep with. It doesn't matter who you sleep with. It's not part of the game.

If I go into a mmo and I announce, "I'm straight! Look at me! I like to sleep with females! Females really sexually arouse me! I want you all to know I'm male and I sleep with females!", wouldn't I look a little silly? Yeh, that's how you look.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    LGBT people would be left alone if they stopped throwing it in everyones faces with their parades and fascist video game guilds.  They are starting to think of themselves as a race.  You don't see leppers or hunchbacks out there starting their own exclusive guilds...
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I can understand those who want such guilds. Just thinking about how often "gay" is used as an insult in an average teenagers guild...

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

A thread like this was made 6 months to a year ago quoting the exact same stuff, unless this has been necro'd.

I don't know why you post this here or get all upset about it.  I don't care if you make a guild with people who like to talk in your own made up language and hop on one leg for an hour a day as part of your new found religon, just don't bring me into it.  I just want to play my games with friends I make and guilds I join.

My only concern is that our young folk must be protected and I believe blizzard were just trying to protect them since the game is 12+, they had to be very careful incase they themselves got taken to court by the masses for content on their forums and posted in chat in game. If you cannot see that then you are a self-righteous fool hell bent on your personal crusade with no logic and a fury that will hurt others.  I am very certain that there are LBGT people working at blizzard (since it is a large organisation). Children/kids however must be allowed to make their own decisions as late teenagers-adults.

Look at the boot on the other foot, I would'nt make a hetrosexual only guild and paint the sky red advertising it, I would recruit quietly with people I know, WOM spreads fast you know it is a strategic  part of marketing.  I have been in guilds with all walks of life, you are also assuming that LBGT people want to be exclusive and will not want to be in guilds with other people with different lifestyles.

I strongly believe a heavy line is crossed when a game has issues such as sexual orientation, religous belief and political standings brought into it.  In games it should never be about any of that and to me its a dark day when it is. What you have done op as a gamer is slightly shameful not for who you are or your lifestyle but for breaking that rule that the majority of gamers respect.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by maji
    I can understand those who want such guilds. Just thinking about how often "gay" is used as an insult in an average teenagers guild...

100 years ago, "gay", "queer", and "faggot" didn't mean "homosexual". Vernacular changed and now some people think they own these words or have some entitlement to curb others' speech because of personal offense.

They don't.

Vernacular changed again and "gay" means something else now to many people. Language evolves. Deal with it.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

LGBT Guild ? - Check

White only Guild ? - Check

Black only Guild ? - Check

Asian only Guild ? - Check

See the pattern here?

See the problem here?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I think it's just attention seeking "hey look at us we are gay" this is a mmo not gay canival. I mean, why are you even asking the devs,why not just form the guild and leave it at that.I know, you want to shout it out in general chat and if anyone complains you can say ArenaNet said we can lol.

Again, it's nothing but attention seeking.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them.

Wouldn't it help the community to gather like minded people together?

First, I would argue that simple sexual orientation does not make you all 'like minded'. This is like saying all hetrosexual guys are 'like-minded', which is simply ridiculous.

Second, why do you care what orientation someone you play a game with is unless you intend to attempt form a sexual relationship? I would suggest that there are maybe better forums for this then within a game.

Thirdly, why on Earth do you want to segregate yourselves from the 'mainstream' like this? Surely you are looking to inform, show others that it's perfectly normal to have different sexual orientations, and that it is now pretty much just part of every day life and nothing special? Why create a club to underline (a lot of the time) self imposed 'differences'.

I game with a couple of gay guys and no one seems to give a shit.

These are social games and an ideal environment to meet new and interesting people from all over and all cultures, why restrict that by locking yourselves away in a ghetto? because you assume you can't get on with 'straight' people? That you want to assume that such folks will judge you in some way?

It could actually be construed as being quite bigoted on your part.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

We're all different, this much is clear.  But sometimes it's a hinderance, especially when it comes to forming a guild.

LGBT people want to form a guild exclusive to them, so what?  Why are so many opposed?  It doesn't affect them. 

Just as a side note:

Wow at one time restricted and banned a player for advertising a LGBT guild, several years ago.  The uprise was immense, and Blizzard was faced with a cival lawsuit.  Blizzard appologized and "allowed" LGBT friendly guilds. http://kotaku.com/159536/blizzards-reaction-to-gay-guilds-an-unfortunate-mistake

I see this like this. I'm hetero. I don't advert my guild as hetero guild. I don't check if all my guildmates are hetero. I really don't care.

LGBT create homo guild. They advert it as homo guild and they probably require guildmates to be homo. This is something like heterophobia. LGBT people screem everywhere they can "look, I'm gay". If you say "i don't give a f***" or "oh just shut up" then in their eyes you are homophobic or something.

All parties (homophobes and heterophobes) should just keep all that politycs out of gaming world. It's enough they running around throwing accusations and whine about everything in real world. I would like to say to all those people - Just go f*** yourself plesae. And stay away.  Join a guild and stop with evangelization whoever you are. We don't care who you will f*** after you go to bed.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

@OP

So a only bondage guild or a guild for pedophile only, would you think that is somthing a game needs?

I think sexual preference should not be a criteria for a guild membership. there are other platform out side of a MMORPG where you can go find like-minded people.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I can understand it-

Sexual Orientation and race and religion should not even be an issue with a Guild in any way shap[e or form.

Look, I cannot make a "Straights Only Guild" or a "Black Only Guild" and advertise it as such (obviously you can have anyone in your guild who you wish and could still make a Guild like such)- So whats good for the goose.

Its like Orwell said in Animal farm. "All Animals are equal but some Animals are MORE equal than others..." This is becopming the case. 

+1

The part in red has always amused me, not just int he guild situation, but life in general. Always loved the whole "we want to be equal, but only we can have special isolated groups. if you do it youre racist, sexist, prejudiced, etc".

Its become acceptable to do things like:

Have a black or latino only organization and be praised for it. But if you dare make a whites only organization youre a racist bigot.

Have women only organizations. Create a mens only organization and youre a sexist pig trying to supress women.

Have entire housing communities for seniors (55+) all ove rthe place, and its perfectly fine. Yet if we created housing communities that did not allow people over a certain age, there would be a shitstorm. Funny because our own laws say you cant discriminate based on age... yet it happens every day. But its only OK if its 1 way and not the other.

Create gay/lesbian organizations and its fine. Your just fighting for your beliefs. But create a hetero only organization and youre offending all gay and lesbians because of your beliefs. Gay pride parades? Sure go ahead. But wheres my straight pride parades that likely would be picketed by some overly sensitive people who took it as an offense to their own sexual preference?

This is how ass backwards and dysfunctional our society has become.

(I understand these cases dont apply to every individual. For example every single gay person may not be offended by hetero groups. Im referring more to the general public outcry against such things whent hey get into the media and all that.)

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

Segregate yourselves, that'll show the system! Equality for all, let us be equally separate!

You're just as special and unique as everyone else

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I think people are getting fed up with the political correctness and there will be a backlash. Therre are storms on the horizon. I was thinking today about how absurd our society has become. The minority make the rules for the majority. We cave in to the screaming voices. But you can only push people so far.
This discussion has been closed.